Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Mike O'Brien (ArenaNet founder) on microtransactions

1181921232427

Comments

  • BlahTeebBlahTeeb St. Paul, MNPosts: 624Member

    Originally posted by Madimorga

    Originally posted by silvermember


    Originally posted by Madimorga


    Originally posted by fiontar

    ...

    Remember that Gems don't create new Gold in the economy. There is no vendor that pays you Gold for a Gem. If you sel a Gem, it's to other players via the Marketplace and that gold already exists in the economy.

    True in theory.  In practice people who would otherwise not have spent extra time farming extra gold will do so in hopes of buying cash shop items with gold instead of with real money.  Thus creating a system with more gold in circulation than would otherwise have existed.

     

    If the devs correct for this by making farming the gold more time consuming it will simply annoy people who had no intention of buying cash shop items for gold but were planning on spending their gold on in game items, since they, too, will have to farm longer to get the gold they need.  This of coruse assumes there is gold or items that can be sold for gold to farm for, but if there are not, then there is no use for diamonds, or for a player economy, for that matter.

    ppl grind all the time to get what they want, unless you want them to turn off farming? How does your first paragraph make any logical sense to you?

    all gems do is redistribute gold, it does not create gold, somebody had to have farm the gold. 

    Well, I know that if this change goes through, I'll see it as a challenge to farm gold and let other players buy me everything rather than spend money in the cash shop, so I'll be contributing more gold to circulation than I otherwise would have.  I expect I'm not the only one with this attitude.  Meanwhile, gold buyers who might have done without rather than farm it themselves will continue to fund other players.  Because that's just how people are.  Net result:  More gold in circulation.

    This goes both ways. There are a lot of people who would pay gems for an armor than farm for it. Lots of people are willing to fork over a few bucks for gear. This causes less farming overall, even if just a bit.

     

    However, people who are willing to farm for gems are already farming for gold. Gems doesn't make someone farm more, it just gives them a different reason and option to farm. Gems will lower farming. If you are willing to farm for gold for gems for gear, then you are already wiling to farm for gold for gear. So in the end, gems should lower farming and gold circulation.

  • MwynForeverMwynForever LincolnPosts: 139Member

    Originally posted by Madimorga

    Originally posted by MwynForever


     

    That's a thought, I wonder if silence can be bought with gems? At the very least they should be polite at all times!image

    I still haven't figured out whether I'm going to be one of the lackeys or the resident rich witches, but if I lackey it up, I am definitely charging extra for being polite! 

    I won't be hiring you then :P

    But seriously I've just been sitting here thinking about this. Anyone who has played GW1 knows the players themselves made an alternative currency. Ectos. Ectos have  a gold value of sorts, set by the player base itself. They aren't easy to get, much harder then gold and depending on how you like to spend your time in game, there are for some, more enjoyable ways to get something that someone with ecto's might want in exchange. I have seen items for sale in exchange for x amount of gold, or x amount of ectos. Sometimes people want to buy ectos for gold and not an item, and sometimes people want to sell ectos for gold and not an item. Depends. There are such huge variations and this while it may seem wildly complicated if you have no idea what I'm talking about, works. Especially as the amount of gold you are allowed to keep is limited. Ectos can be stored instead of gold, rather like gold bullion I suppose in a bank vault. I don't think gems will have the same effect as ectos as the prices will fluctuate far too much depending on supply. In the end, gems I can assure you are far less painful to get then ectos for example. So will players make another currency again as they did in GW1? I wouldn't doubt it. Gems may not be the be all end all that people expect them to be beyond the ability to buy vanity items. You may find yourself having to pay your lackeys with something other then gems OR gold image

    One of life's lil hand grenades

  • MadimorgaMadimorga Atlanta, GAPosts: 1,893Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by BlahTeeb

    Originally posted by Madimorga


    Originally posted by silvermember


    Originally posted by Madimorga


    Originally posted by fiontar

    ...

    Remember that Gems don't create new Gold in the economy. There is no vendor that pays you Gold for a Gem. If you sel a Gem, it's to other players via the Marketplace and that gold already exists in the economy.

    True in theory.  In practice people who would otherwise not have spent extra time farming extra gold will do so in hopes of buying cash shop items with gold instead of with real money.  Thus creating a system with more gold in circulation than would otherwise have existed.

     

    If the devs correct for this by making farming the gold more time consuming it will simply annoy people who had no intention of buying cash shop items for gold but were planning on spending their gold on in game items, since they, too, will have to farm longer to get the gold they need.  This of coruse assumes there is gold or items that can be sold for gold to farm for, but if there are not, then there is no use for diamonds, or for a player economy, for that matter.

    ppl grind all the time to get what they want, unless you want them to turn off farming? How does your first paragraph make any logical sense to you?

    all gems do is redistribute gold, it does not create gold, somebody had to have farm the gold. 

    Well, I know that if this change goes through, I'll see it as a challenge to farm gold and let other players buy me everything rather than spend money in the cash shop, so I'll be contributing more gold to circulation than I otherwise would have.  I expect I'm not the only one with this attitude.  Meanwhile, gold buyers who might have done without rather than farm it themselves will continue to fund other players.  Because that's just how people are.  Net result:  More gold in circulation.

    This goes both ways. There are a lot of people who would pay gems for an armor than farm for it. Lots of people are willing to fork over a few bucks for gear. This causes less farming overall, even if just a bit.

     

    However, people who are willing to farm for gems are already farming for gold. Gems doesn't make someone farm more, it just gives them a different reason and option to farm. Gems will lower farming. If you are willing to farm for gold for gems for gear, then you are already wiling to farm for gold for gear. So in the end, gems should lower farming and gold circulation.

    Hm.  Not necessarily.  There is a psychological drive to get something for nothing involved now that isn't there when it comes to farming for gear.  Now if I farm enough, I'm a clever gamer pulling one over on the system by getting someone else to buy my DLC goodies for me with their real cash.

     

    I'm not young, nor overly stupid.  I even know myself well enough to state the issue, yet it will still affect my farming patterns.  I have no reason to think I'm going to be the only one.

    image

    I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

    ~Albert Einstein

  • FonclFoncl UppsalaPosts: 197Member

    Well that sucks, anything that costs gold can be bought for money then, same thing as Diablo 3 RMAH really except gems instead of Blizzard bucks. It's not a gamebreaker and I understand their motives for doing it but the game would be alot better if anything that affects a characters power in any way couldn't be bought with RL money.

     

    I would be fine with vanity items for money but gear for money takes away the achievement of players who actually put in the effort to earn the items ingame themselves.  Only way I wouldn't mind this is if anyone who buys gems get a big $ sign hovering over their head at all times, so everyone knows he/she/it paid to win.

  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd montreal, QCPosts: 1,479Member

    Originally posted by Madimorga

    Hm.  Not necessarily.  There is a psychological drive to get something for nothing involved now that isn't there when it comes to farming for gear.  Now if I farm enough, I'm a clever gamer pulling one over on the system by getting someone else to buy my DLC goodies for me with their real cash.

     

    I'm not young, nor overly stupid.  I even know myself well enough to state the issue, yet it will still affect my farming patterns.  I have no reason to think I'm going to be the only one.

    True, but the gem/ingame system isn't the reason you would do this. You already had it in mind to achieve wealth through shortcuts. Farming anything can be lucrative, like you said, just need to be smart about it.

    I don't see this as being 'abused' in the way you presume to the detriment of gameplay since again, without the gear, what is purchasable that's extraordinary?

  • Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member

    Originally posted by Yizle

    Originally posted by austriacus


    Originally posted by Madimorga

    You know why D3 doesn't bother me and this does?  Because the way D3 is going to work, I think a bunch of first world wannabe gold farmers are going to drive prices on individual items so ridiculously low that it will be nearly impossible for gold farmers to make a profit.

     

    But GW2 isn't going to be about individual items put up by players for real money.  It's about taking real money and turning it into currency to buy GW2 items with.  Same as it's always been for the gold farmers, they'll mostly sell gold completely outside the system (except maybe for a little diamond speculation on the side), and no doubt they'll also dabble in jacking up AH prices and creating scarcity of goods so supply drives demand.

     

     

    The difference is that D3 is a gear grind, GW2 is not. Why do you keep asuming the game is WoW?

    Because most of these whiners are either 1) too stupid to understand the game and the system or 2) just annoying trolls trying to start probs.

    I don't really understand why so many people don't get why this announcement can be considered a "bad" thing.

    Prior to this announcement, the community was (at large) under the impression that RMT would be used for mainly cosmetic or convenience items, and you would NOT be able to buy power.

    Now we find that RMT can be used to (indirectly) buy gold.  So this means either gold can't be used to buy power (which means the game will not have much of an economy), or RMT CAN be used to buy power.

    Just putting a "layer" in-between real money and the auction house doesn't really change anything.  You can STILL buy anything on the auction house for real money.

    Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  • thoreauthoreau Cleveland, OHPosts: 84Member

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

  • MadimorgaMadimorga Atlanta, GAPosts: 1,893Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by MwynForever

    Originally posted by Madimorga


    Originally posted by MwynForever


     

    That's a thought, I wonder if silence can be bought with gems? At the very least they should be polite at all times!image

    I still haven't figured out whether I'm going to be one of the lackeys or the resident rich witches, but if I lackey it up, I am definitely charging extra for being polite! 

    I won't be hiring you then :P

    But seriously I've just been sitting here thinking about this. Anyone who has played GW1 knows the players themselves made an alternative currency. Ectos. Ectos have  a gold value of sorts, set by the player base itself. They aren't easy to get, much harder then gold and depending on how you like to spend your time in game, there are for some, more enjoyable ways to get something that someone with ecto's might want in exchange. I have seen items for sale in exchange for x amount of gold, or x amount of ectos. Sometimes people want to buy ectos for gold and not an item, and sometimes people want to sell ectos for gold and not an item. Depends. There are such huge variations and this while it may seem wildly complicated if you have no idea what I'm talking about, works. Especially as the amount of gold you are allowed to keep is limited. Ectos can be stored instead of gold, rather like gold bullion I suppose in a bank vault. I don't think gems will have the same effect as ectos as the prices will fluctuate far too much depending on supply. In the end, gems I can assure you are far less painful to get then ectos for example. So will players make another currency again as they did in GW1? I wouldn't doubt it. Gems may not be the be all end all that people expect them to be beyond the ability to buy vanity items. You may find yourself having to pay your lackeys with something other then gems OR gold image

    I have no idea what Ectos are, I actually never said one word to anyone in Guild Wars.  It was more isolating than even I cared for. I had no clue how to go about being social, given that everything I did was in my own instance, not counting trips to town and I also had no desire to join a guild.

     

      But you make a good point.  There is no telling how players are going to react to this situation.  What if very few people are willing to purchase diamonds to exchange for gold or services?  What if they demand such a high price that it isn't worth it to cater to them even if they are willing to trade?

    image

    I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

    ~Albert Einstein

  • MadimorgaMadimorga Atlanta, GAPosts: 1,893Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by whisperwynd

    Originally posted by Madimorga

    Hm.  Not necessarily.  There is a psychological drive to get something for nothing involved now that isn't there when it comes to farming for gear.  Now if I farm enough, I'm a clever gamer pulling one over on the system by getting someone else to buy my DLC goodies for me with their real cash.

     

    I'm not young, nor overly stupid.  I even know myself well enough to state the issue, yet it will still affect my farming patterns.  I have no reason to think I'm going to be the only one.

    True, but the gem/ingame system isn't the reason you would do this. You already had it in mind to achieve wealth through shortcuts. Farming anything can be lucrative, like you said, just need to be smart about it.

    I don't see this as being 'abused' in the way you presume to the detriment of gameplay since again, without the gear, what is purchasable that's extraordinary?

    Services can be purchased if nothing else.  As long as the buyer is willing to pay enough to interest the seller, leveling services, help with pvp, help with item acquisition (assuming any items are worth acquiring) is just a few diamonds away.

    image

    I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

    ~Albert Einstein

  • st4t1ckst4t1ck jonesboro, GAPosts: 600Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by elliottalb

    Well this is just one mor reason for me to stick with SWTOR. Bioware is clearly a supperior game company and they make better games.

     

    At least they don't pull any of this shady microtransaction stuff. You pay for the game and your sub and you get access to their games. No strings attached and no shady business. You just lost a potential customer Arenanet. I'll stick with Bioware- an honest company- thank you very much.

    lmao.  Really thats what you come up with

  • st4t1ckst4t1ck jonesboro, GAPosts: 600Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by thoreau

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

    how do you sell gems for dollars.. you cant sell them back to anet, and if your gonna buy gems why not just buy from anet, why trust a gold seller

  • KholeKhole Irmo, SCPosts: 136Member Common

    Originally posted by st4t1ck

    Originally posted by thoreau

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

    how do you sell gems for dollars.. you cant sell them back to anet, and if your gonna buy gems why not just buy from anet, why trust a gold seller

    Gold sellers farm gold--> use gold to buy gems from players --> Sell gems on website for cash = PROFIT!!!

  • thoreauthoreau Cleveland, OHPosts: 84Member

    Originally posted by st4t1ck

    Originally posted by thoreau

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

    how do you sell gems for dollars.. you cant sell them back to anet, and if your gonna buy gems why not just buy from anet, why trust a gold seller

    Because they will be cheaper.

    Never underestimate what people will do to save a dollar.

    Third party sellers will pop up selling gems just like third party sellers exist now selling gold.

  • st4t1ckst4t1ck jonesboro, GAPosts: 600Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Creslin321

    Originally posted by Yizle


    Originally posted by austriacus


    Originally posted by Madimorga

    You know why D3 doesn't bother me and this does?  Because the way D3 is going to work, I think a bunch of first world wannabe gold farmers are going to drive prices on individual items so ridiculously low that it will be nearly impossible for gold farmers to make a profit.

     

    But GW2 isn't going to be about individual items put up by players for real money.  It's about taking real money and turning it into currency to buy GW2 items with.  Same as it's always been for the gold farmers, they'll mostly sell gold completely outside the system (except maybe for a little diamond speculation on the side), and no doubt they'll also dabble in jacking up AH prices and creating scarcity of goods so supply drives demand.

     

     

    The difference is that D3 is a gear grind, GW2 is not. Why do you keep asuming the game is WoW?

    Because most of these whiners are either 1) too stupid to understand the game and the system or 2) just annoying trolls trying to start probs.

    I don't really understand why so many people don't get why this announcement can be considered a "bad" thing.

    Prior to this announcement, the community was (at large) under the impression that RMT would be used for mainly cosmetic or convenience items, and you would NOT be able to buy power.

    Now we find that RMT can be used to (indirectly) buy gold.  So this means either gold can't be used to buy power (which means the game will not have much of an economy), or RMT CAN be used to buy power.

    Just putting a "layer" in-between real money and the auction house doesn't really change anything.  You can STILL buy anything on the auction house for real money.

    yes you can buy anything thats not more powerfull then anything i can get.  In guild wars 1 they pretty much handed you every upgrade of armor you could get stat wise via the craft system.  so everytime there was something with better stats you could easily get it at the level it was available.

  • st4t1ckst4t1ck jonesboro, GAPosts: 600Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by thoreau

    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    Originally posted by thoreau

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

    how do you sell gems for dollars.. you cant sell them back to anet, and if your gonna buy gems why not just buy from anet, why trust a gold seller

    Because they will be cheaper.

    Never underestimate what people will do to save a dollar.

    Third party sellers will pop up selling gems just like third party sellers exist now selling gold.

    why use a third party though.  Third party sellers only pop up now because you cant buy gold legitimatly

  • MwynForeverMwynForever LincolnPosts: 139Member

    Originally posted by Madimorga

    Originally posted by whisperwynd


    Originally posted by Madimorga

    Hm.  Not necessarily.  There is a psychological drive to get something for nothing involved now that isn't there when it comes to farming for gear.  Now if I farm enough, I'm a clever gamer pulling one over on the system by getting someone else to buy my DLC goodies for me with their real cash.

     

    I'm not young, nor overly stupid.  I even know myself well enough to state the issue, yet it will still affect my farming patterns.  I have no reason to think I'm going to be the only one.

    True, but the gem/ingame system isn't the reason you would do this. You already had it in mind to achieve wealth through shortcuts. Farming anything can be lucrative, like you said, just need to be smart about it.

    I don't see this as being 'abused' in the way you presume to the detriment of gameplay since again, without the gear, what is purchasable that's extraordinary?

    Services can be purchased if nothing else.  As long as the buyer is willing to pay enough to interest the seller, leveling services, help with pvp, help with item acquisition (assuming any items are worth acquiring) is just a few diamonds away.

    Really they will be wasting their time. They would have to pay someone to play their character forever. Remember, gear doesn't matter. Everyone top level will have the same basic armor stat as you at least in whatever proffession you happen to be in. Wherever you go in the game, you will be scaled down. So you won't be able to go around easily and kill things in the beginner areas with the ease you would be able to in other games. (this will make farming gold for gold farmers harder too :P ) SO now you have payed someone to level your character to 80 and you are stuck with a character you don't know how to play at ALL. You can't go anywhere without dying because you don't know what to do with your skills, you feel pretty lame. Same again for pvp. Don't forget you can join pvp at the very beginning of the game and be scaled up. I can promise you now that SOMEONE with a very low level toon who knows how to play will at some point join in pvp, get scaled up and beat the crap out of your payed for leveling service toon all the time HE is wearing crappy low level gear because just such a senario is possible in GW2. Now you will feel like a complete tool for paying a gold/leveling farmer right?

    P.S. When I say YOU I don't mean you. I have come to think you are a pretty cool dude Madimorga so don't take it personal :D

    One of life's lil hand grenades

  • evictonevicton Warren, PAPosts: 398Member

    Originally posted by st4t1ck

    Originally posted by thoreau


    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    Originally posted by thoreau

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

    how do you sell gems for dollars.. you cant sell them back to anet, and if your gonna buy gems why not just buy from anet, why trust a gold seller

    Because they will be cheaper.

    Never underestimate what people will do to save a dollar.

    Third party sellers will pop up selling gems just like third party sellers exist now selling gold.

    why use a third party though.  Third party sellers only pop up now because you cant buy gold legitimatly

    Because it will be cheaper, just like there are still companies that sell isk even though you can buy it via flex. 

  • MadimorgaMadimorga Atlanta, GAPosts: 1,893Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by MwynForever

     

    Really they will be wasting their time. They would have to pay someone to play their character forever. Remember, gear doesn't matter. Everyone top level will have the same basic armor stat as you at least in whatever proffession you happen to be in. Wherever you go in the game, you will be scaled down. So you won't be able to go around easily and kill things in the beginner areas with the ease you would be able to in other games. (this will make farming gold for gold farmers harder too :P ) SO now you have payed someone to level your character to 80 and you are stuck with a character you don't know how to play at ALL. You can't go anywhere without dying because you don't know what to do with your skills, you feel pretty lame. Same again for pvp. Don't forget you can join pvp at the very beginning of the game and be scaled up. I can promise you now that SOMEONE with a very low level toon who knows how to play will at some point join in pvp, get scaled up and beat the crap out of your payed for leveling service toon all the time HE is wearing crappy low level gear because just such a senario is possible in GW2. Now you will feel like a complete tool for paying a gold/leveling farmer right?

    P.S. When I say YOU I don't mean you. I have come to think you are a pretty cool dude Madimorga so don't take it personal :D

    Actually, I figure letting someone play your character will still be frowned on.  I was thinking about dungeon parties, pvp team fills, and maybe WvWvW mercs (for real, I could see this happening from time to time during off hours), plus any items that are worth having while leveling but that do not drop frequently (if such will exist). 

     

    I don't take it personally, though, I knew you were speaking in general.  Even though you have made an incorrect assumption about my gender!

    image

    I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

    ~Albert Einstein

  • st4t1ckst4t1ck jonesboro, GAPosts: 600Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by evicton

    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    Originally posted by thoreau


    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    Originally posted by thoreau

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

    how do you sell gems for dollars.. you cant sell them back to anet, and if your gonna buy gems why not just buy from anet, why trust a gold seller

    Because they will be cheaper.

    Never underestimate what people will do to save a dollar.

    Third party sellers will pop up selling gems just like third party sellers exist now selling gold.

    why use a third party though.  Third party sellers only pop up now because you cant buy gold legitimatly

    Because it will be cheaper, just like there are still companies that sell isk even though you can buy it via flex. 

    if thats the case then gold sellers are gonna be there no matter what, and you wont know who bought gold. and everything that everyone is complaing about being p2w will just happen anyway because those people will pay real money for gold from gold farmers.

  • MwynForeverMwynForever LincolnPosts: 139Member

    Originally posted by Madimorga

    Originally posted by MwynForever


     

    Really they will be wasting their time. They would have to pay someone to play their character forever. Remember, gear doesn't matter. Everyone top level will have the same basic armor stat as you at least in whatever proffession you happen to be in. Wherever you go in the game, you will be scaled down. So you won't be able to go around easily and kill things in the beginner areas with the ease you would be able to in other games. (this will make farming gold for gold farmers harder too :P ) SO now you have payed someone to level your character to 80 and you are stuck with a character you don't know how to play at ALL. You can't go anywhere without dying because you don't know what to do with your skills, you feel pretty lame. Same again for pvp. Don't forget you can join pvp at the very beginning of the game and be scaled up. I can promise you now that SOMEONE with a very low level toon who knows how to play will at some point join in pvp, get scaled up and beat the crap out of your payed for leveling service toon all the time HE is wearing crappy low level gear because just such a senario is possible in GW2. Now you will feel like a complete tool for paying a gold/leveling farmer right?

    P.S. When I say YOU I don't mean you. I have come to think you are a pretty cool dude Madimorga so don't take it personal :D

    Actually, I figure letting someone play your character will still be frowned on.  I was thinking about dungeon parties, pvp team fills, and maybe WvWvW mercs (for real, I could see this happening from time to time during off hours), plus any items that are worth having while leveling but that do not drop frequently (if such will exist). 

     

    I don't take it personally, though, I knew you were speaking in general.  Even though you have made an incorrect assumption about my gender!

    Apologies! There are few of us lady gamers I figured it was safer to say dude  :P

    One of life's lil hand grenades

  • FreyasFreyas Seattle, WAPosts: 32Member

    Originally posted by thoreau

    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    Originally posted by thoreau

    OLD SYSTEM: Gold factories farmed gold and sold it for dollars.

    NEW SYSTEM: Gold factores farm gold, trade it for gems, sell gems for dollars.

     

    This is better?

    how do you sell gems for dollars.. you cant sell them back to anet, and if your gonna buy gems why not just buy from anet, why trust a gold seller

    Because they will be cheaper.

    Never underestimate what people will do to save a dollar.

    Third party sellers will pop up selling gems just like third party sellers exist now selling gold.

    The point of the gold<->gem transfer being player-controlled is that the exchange rate matches the comparitive value of the two different currencies.  It will self-adjust to current values, so if gold-sellers start undercutting the in-game rate, the value of gold decreases, and the exchange rate adjusts to the new value.  Essentially, it's impossible for gold sellers to undercut and maintain a stable market- the only effect that they can have is to drive the value of gold down to the expense that is required to upkeep their farming operation.  

     

    Assuming ArenaNet also uses regular means to fight gold sellers (account bans, etc), which they're already doing in GW1, and NCSoft is doing for their other MMO's, I can't see any means for goldselling to be a profitable business for GW2.

     

    As for P2W, I've always known that in F2P games as selling items or buffs in the cash shop that are better than what you can get normally by playing the game.  Paying $ to buy gold from other players to buy gear that other players acquired normally in-game and are selling on the auction house seems the opposite concept.  All of the money and/or stuff from the auctionhouse was made/earned by players normally, and the cash shop person can trade cash shop perks to those players in return.  This is the opposite of what I encounter in, for example, Wakfu, where you can buy better weapons from the cash shop than you can get normally in-game (and then use those weapons to PK other players)- which is P2W.

  • YizleYizle Atlanta, GAPosts: 517Member

    Originally posted by st4t1ck

    Originally posted by elliottalb

    Well this is just one mor reason for me to stick with SWTOR. Bioware is clearly a supperior game company and they make better games.

     

    At least they don't pull any of this shady microtransaction stuff. You pay for the game and your sub and you get access to their games. No strings attached and no shady business. You just lost a potential customer Arenanet. I'll stick with Bioware- an honest company- thank you very much.

    lmao.  Really thats what you come up with

    Yeah I think he is just a troll fanboy. Bioware made a game that is so lacking in many areas and this is his response.

  • MagnetiaMagnetia SydneyPosts: 1,029Member Uncommon

    I really didn't mind the system in STO. It gave me the opportunity to buy RMT items without paying RM. This system sounds similar. Unsure what the problem is. If anything the people who aren't paying gain the biggest advantage from paying players because paying players will always have a few spare bits to throw away after purchase. This ultimately gives me *the non paying player* a chance to buy RMT items.

    Conversely I do see the problem of using RMT to buy gold. Although I think people will be able to buy gold I don't think gold can buy the best items. One thing we've overlooked is the Karma currency. Currently we know it is for NPC item vendors. I have a feeling that karma is what buys the best in game items. Not gold or Gems.

    Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,221Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Distopia

    Originally posted by ElderRat


    Originally posted by drumchannell

    So you can purchase gems with money, that can be traded for gold in game. If I'm reading this correctly, this gives advantage to players who spend real money as opposed to those who don't.

    you can buy large quanties of gems and trade them for gold with wich you can buy the in game items - in my mind that is an unfair advantage.  I took advantage of it in EVE when I had some money to buy plex - bougth 2 plex for $35 from EVE and them sold them  in EVE for 700 million isk .  At the time I did that I only had earned $20 million isk.  Suddenly I was able to afford a top of the line Exhumer and outfit it.  Just saying - those with money will be able to buy more things.

     

    Such is the way of life.

    But not necessarily the way of gaming.  The developers actually have a choice about whether to make economic leverage a part of their game mechanics or not.

    In EVE and GW2 those with more money will have the advantage of leveraging that.  In RIFT I don't have that option.  I must game for what I want.

  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 columbia, SCPosts: 838Member

    Is everyone retarded?

    You either spend time or money to get anything in the game, including things like renames and other stuff. You can get everything for free after buying the box game. I mean seriously, why is everyone so butthurt. Who cares if Darklord55 got his max items within 2 days while Ruffles24 spent a month getting it. It doesn't affect you. Get over it. I don't even even know why I'm posting this. 99% of the people here are too ignorant to understand such a simple concept.

     

    If it's not far that some random guy has more money to waste than you, then how the hell is it far that you have more time to waste than him.

Sign In or Register to comment.