Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Microtransaction Goals & Systems Detailed

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Ofcourse, there will be times when the prices of gems are sky high. However, this won't last very long and will balance out quickly as buyers will refuse to pay the hefty prices. There will also be times, when the prices of gems are rock bottom and sellers will be out of pocket. Although, this is easily reversed, as the gems will sell fast and a new benchmark price will be set - when sellers re-list their gems. Overal, this is what makes economies interesting and exciting.

guess they didn't play WoW or Aion before they wrote that statement, eh?  =)

gonna have to wait and see if or how this works out, if it's gonna be p2w, i am gona as quick as i left APB and other p2w games.

Even if there is an consumable in the microtransaction shop, that gives players a +10% boost to all damage, everyone can purchase it.

sounds alot like p2w to me tho :)

"everyone can purchase it!" actually is not a valid argument on the debate. if it's available through RL money/gems, it simply is p2w, since you get an advantage you do not have without.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by Thane

[quote]Even if there is an consumable in the microtransaction shop, that gives players a +10% boost to all damage, everyone can purchase it.[/quote] 

Not really P2W as you can buy with ingame gold. Kinda moot point and said several times over many threads. Buy a gem with RL money and get it or grind some gold, buy a gem from player then get it. Equal opportunity. Nothing P2W about it.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

I'd be willing to pay a lot in RMT to filter MMORPG of the blindly fanatic GW2 fanboy posts.  For every intersting comment you have to weed through 7 "OMG A-Net is Sos Awesomes" posts.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

Originally posted by whisperwynd

[quote]Even if there is an consumable in the microtransaction shop, that gives players a +10% boost to all damage, everyone can purchase it.[/quote] 

Not really P2W as you can buy with ingame gold. Kinda moot point and said several times over many threads. Buy a gem with RL money and get it or grind some gold, buy a gem from player then get it. Equal opportunity. Nothing P2W about it.

i dont think you understand it at all, you buy gems online with real money then sell them for gold and be able to buy anything you want in game, how is that not P2W?

played a million mmo's

Originally posted by engellen

i dont think you understand it at all, you buy gems online with real money then sell them for gold and be able to buy anything you want in game, how is that now P2W?

Yes but grinding for that same gold will get you the same thing, and since it's been said that GW2 is NOT gear oriented, what will you buy that will 'win' over me?

Shiny, colorful costumes? An xp boost? See ya later, I'll catch up eventually? What's 'win' until you can show concretely that any of the items available will 'pwn' me in any way, shape, or form?

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

i dont think you understand it at all, you buy gems online with real money then sell them for gold and be able to buy anything you want in game, how is that now P2W?

Yes but grinding for that same gold will get you the same thing, and since it's been said that GW2 is NOT gear oriented, what will you buy that will 'win' over me?

Shiny, colorful costumes? An xp boost? See ya later, I'll catch up eventually? What's 'win' until you can show concretely that any of the items available will 'pwn' me in any way, shape, or form?

"you'll catch up eventually" thats the whole reason of P2W games suck, i dont have alot of time to play, i have to play when i find the time to. maybe i dont want to spend 6 months working for gold that some rich guy spent 500 bucks on in one day 

played a million mmo's

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

Ok I am going to break it down here for all of you and myself and if I am wrong please correct me, but this is how I understand the post:

Karma can only be earned through in-game effort and is unique

Gold can only be earned through in-game effort, but can be traded for gems (microtran. currency)

Gems are purchased with real $$ and can only be used in the microtransatction shop, but can be traded for Gold (in-game currency)

My question is, when in the blog he says "player-drven market" in reference to the Gold<--->Gems transactions, does this mean this can only be done directly between other players or will there be some sort of bank/dispensery where we can exchange Gems for Gold and vis versa?

Also we do not know exactly what will be available in the Microtransaction Shop (Cash Shop).

In regards to P2W, my definition of it is anything that is available for purchase by non in-game effort/currency (real world money) that gives a player some sort of numerical, statistical, tactical, or conveniencing advantage over those who choose not to or cannot afford to spend real money on anything other than the game box, expansions, subscription, etc...

So yes this means even xp boosts are considered P2W (or unfair, whatever you want to call it) because players can spend less effort or time in game to advance because they have bigger wallets.  What about the people who work just as much as these P2Winners and thus have the same amount of play time, but cannot afford to spend real money on extra virtual items. Think about that.

So ultimately whether or not this system will be fair and acceptable to me and and many others remains to be seen by what they actually sell in the cash shot, but from what I'm hearing it doesn't look good folks.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

"you'll catch up eventually" thats the whole reason of P2W games suck, i dont have alot of time to play, i have to play when i find the time to. maybe i dont want to spend 6 months working for gold that some rich guy spent 500 bucks on in one day 

1) Seriously, regarding xp? "I'll catch up" is more than apt. There's a finite amount of levels, and who cares if someone hits max before you? You both hit max. Also, as most things in this game scale your level to the content, level is laregely irrelevant.

2) The intrinsic gold value of gems will be determined ONLY by how much other players are willing to spend on them. So there's no way of telling if 500 bucks will be 6 months worth of gold or 6 days.

3) Seriously. Cannot say this enough. Gold. Not that important in this game. Really.

You misunderstand what I meant.

If you think getting to max lvl at 10% faster speed than me is winning, then you are state champion. Since there's no gear raids or instances(solely for the purpose of acquiring gear) at endgame. Since PvP can be played any lvl, and even WvW where you get automatically boosted to 80. Since DE's scale to how many ppl are there at the time...

What is the rush for? There's no real reason to rush anymore. No matter if you play only a few hours a week or 40 hours/week. There's no sense of being left behind. Higher lvls can go back to lower lvl zones and bring up the weapons they neglected before without it being a PL session.

The game is created to rid the player of the 'need' to rush at max lvl just to start the treadmill for gear.

If this is what you like, then GW2 really isn't for you I'm afraid.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by solarine

No way is this right, let alone "the perfect system"...

Right would be doing everything they say they're doing without letting players trade gems for gold. Buying cosmetic stuff with money + account services. That's the right way.

Whereas what they have here practically means:  Rich in real life => Rich in game.

I don't know about you, but that just doesn't ring fair with me. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in-game success must only be achievable with in-game effort. It's what gaming is all about.  

And he actually calls this a "level playing field"? Color me amazed. 

It is a level playing field because all the money in the game wont make you more powerful than anyone else. Prettier perhaps, but not more powerful.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

don't get me wrong, the only prob i see atm is those +10% dmg potion you can buy for RL money (as it seems).

you DO get it quicker than grinding ingame, question is, how much ingame grind would be needed just to get the same value?

if it's seriously about extra dmg, i really have my concerns here. that's all

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

don't get me wrong, the only prob i see atm is those +10% dmg potion you can buy for RL money (as it seems).

you DO get it quicker than grinding ingame, question is, how much ingame grind would be needed just to get the same value?

If it is a boost in DMG and not XP then yes, that is a cause for concern. Though I haven't seen anywhere that this is the case, just the 10% xp boost.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

your making a quote that someone used as an analogy. there is not damage boost potion

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by st4t1ck

your making a quote that someone used as an analogy. there is not damage boost potion

Yeah, damage boosts and in game advantages (aside from XP) are not really ANets style. They wouldnt want to ruin the image they have of being a competitive PvP game.

I couldnt care less about XP potions. I dont know why anyone would bother to rush to endgame in a game without gear grind anyway.

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Yeah, damage boosts and in game advantages (aside from XP) are not really ANets style. They wouldnt want to ruin the image they have of being a competitive PvP game.

I couldnt care less about XP potions. I dont know why anyone would bother to rush to endgame in a game without gear grind anyway.

agreed,  in other games everyone complains how easy it is to get to max level, now there all butt hurt about exp pots

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I wish there was a way to lock my account so I couldn't purchase gems. I am a true beleiver in the struggle of questing for my items but have very little willpower when I see others at my level with better gear. :( 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

I wish there was a way to lock my account so I couldn't purchase gems. I am a true beleiver in the struggle of questing for my items but have very little willpower when I see others at my level with better gear. :( 

for me its simple, why ruin my game. im gonna have fun no matter what joe sho is wearing next to me..

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

"It's never okay to buy blah blah."

What a load of bullshit. People play these games for a variety of reasons. Why should someone who puts more emphasis on looks have to pay more than a person with an emphasis on stats?

What happens is this: you end up getting "decent" looking gear in-game, but will have to pay cash for anything that looks black or cool.

However, I do have to realize that this isn't a P2P game, so it's acceptable. If this was a MMO, I'd **** all over it.

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131
    This actually looks like any other cs ... cs is allways a bad thing ull see it .

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I think its an awesome CS idea, and none of the items make you more powerful then other players, so i dont see why people are still bitcfhing.

And someone said its a cash grab, wow imagine a business trying to make money.

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Before all judge wether this is good or not, lets see what they are going to sell in the shops,

• LazerChickenLazerChicken Member Posts: 29

I dont undestand all the hype around the system.

Its not revolutionary nor its new.

But since I want to try GW2, i got some questions

Will i be able to buy all items in game for real money ? (since I can sell gems for gold, and buy items with gold)

How is this not a Pay2Win ?

What do I use Karma for ?

I have my fears so they don't have me.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I read trough a couple of posts, and this reminded me about panick when they announced that transmutation stone. Doomsayers assumed that Anet will insert intentionally ugly gear in game.

I am sorry, but i will write this in huge font format, so it can easily go to head of people:

BEST GEAR WILL BE OBTAINABLE FOR KARMA WHICH IS NON-TRADEABLE, NOT GEMS OR GOLD AND GEAR IS NOT MANDATORY ANYWAY

Off-topic, the most interesting group of doomsayers is the type of "oh noez, i thought that this will be perfect game and that it will kill wow, but its not going to happen. I will not buy this worst garbage of all MMOs that existed in universe, and im going back to my kung-fu pandas". Stupidity of some people amazes me :

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• LazerChickenLazerChicken Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by dzoni87

BEST GEAR WILL BE OBTAINABLE FOR KARMA WHICH IS NON-TRADEABLE, NOT GEMS OR GOLD AND GEAR IS NOT MANDATORY ANYWAY

Ok but since Mike O'Brien writes "They(Players) should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items." Does it mean that i will be able to buy items that boost my karma farming ? I can understad its not mandatory but still its P2W.

Second thing is that Mike writes that GW2 system will have "the similarities to EVE Online’s PLEX system", wich in my opinion is a fail one. If you have enough rly money you can provide super-boost for you char/corp. Buy mass PLEX and sell it for ISK, and buy shpis/ammo/resources. Finnaly making any war depend on how much money players would spend in order to win.

I have my fears so they don't have me.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Total win!