Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Microtransaction Goals & Systems Detailed

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i hope an phone app is in the works! for the trading post!

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I will budget 15.00 a month for microtransaction...that is what I would pay for a subscription

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Exp boosts are minor things. Getting currency boosts (Dungeon/PvP/PvE currencies) will be rather annoying.

Run dungeon X times to get awesome dungeon set.

Run dungeon X/2 to get the same awesome dungeon set. (+50% loot CS item)

While this might sound like a convinience thing, it actually lessens the value of the "awesome dungeon set" making it less of an accomplishment. I really hope they won't go overboard with the CS items.

P2P > B2P /w CS

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

People forget there is 3rd curency in game. Karma. So even if you get rich with gems you still need to play the game to get karma. It's a good system. It all depends now what item's they will be selling for gems. Games with this kind of system can still fail if the item shop items are required to play the game. luckily ANet says they don't want to do it like that.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This is an April fools day joke, right ? Please? :(

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

For an informative and balanced overview of the implications of the gem system, check this blog: http://greibach.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/the-economy-of-gems/

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I'm actually worried about this new system because it opens itself up to some problems.

It actually exists in a lot of F2P games (Spiral Knights, Puzzle Pirates, Star Trek Online) so we have a basis to weigh the pros and cons on.

It does reduce gold sellers.  It does not remove the need for off site illegal RMT traidng though.  Instead of selling gold, sellers will just focus on selling accounts instead.  Hacking an account is just as valuable possibly more so than botting one now.

The system basically gives Anet a Hall Pass to put a lot of items on the cash shop that they'd probably think twice about putting on.  Now they can use the excuse that anyone can get said item in game.  Convenience items could mean a number of things, from potions that give you flat EXP, karma, glory, and influence that SHOULD be earned in game to movement speed boosts out of combat such as mounts.  It's a fine line between pay to win, and there is nothing but a statement that they won't do it preventing them from putting on power items at this point as it likely won't have as great an effect on the number of people buying the game now that you could technically get the gems to buy the items.

The fact that they designed the game around the microtransaction system is troubling.  You can claim you don't need convenience items, but when the game goes out of it's way to inconvenience you (though likely we know a few don't exist in Guild Wars 2) such as giving you only a few inventory slots and bank space or putting in long travel times that you are forced to buy these "convenience" items to compensate than you can hardly call them convenience items anymore.

Worst yet, players who spend a lot of money in game will be able to completely control the economy.  They'll have so much more gold than a player who simply farms items in game since gems will likely sell for a lot of in game gold.  A few players having complete control over the economy is a very bad thing, and expect certain items to sell for outrageous prices due to this control of wealth.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Sounds good to me. I plan on making GW2 the MMO I play alongside whatever else MMO I'm subbed to at the time. That way I hopefully won't burn out on either which I tend to do when I focus on just one MMO. Since there's no sub, I won't feel compelled to play just because I should get something out of my subscription. I'll probably be more likely to trade gold and stuff for gems rather than put RL money into it, but if I end up just playing GW2 and nothing else for a while, I could easily justify putting the money I would normally pay for a sub into the game and reap the benefits from that. Either way, I like the fact that you have freedom to choose how you want to go about it and I stopped caring about people taking the buy-to-win approach a long time ago.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• baykes112baykes112 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Guys please please open your eyes. You guys really think this will not be a P2W game?.

Every1 was thinking that it was going to B2P. Believe me Micro transactions=always p2w. It starts with costumes (looks), and after a couple of weeks, exp boost,speed boosts, character stat boosts, Armors, Pets,Mounts.

You think they gonna make game only for B2P??. Very bad move of GW2 . Didnt expect this. REAL MONEY=WIN ECONOMY+EQUIPMENT VERY EASYY. It has nothing to do with time etcc.

And dont talk about convencience items... Yes IT STARTS with these kinds of items but after some time it will be a copy of AOC or LOTRO or even Lineage2 hahah.

BYe Bye GW2 i prefer play a p2p game then a item mall(p2w) game.

Its the rich against the poor.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

If any of you complainers play League of Legends, the stuff they're going to sell in the shop are probably similar to what League of Legends sell and League has the BEST shop by far. So quiet down already.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

''If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins.''

Nice talk.....

Everyone wins.'', you mean the richest will win lol. Another fail of a upcoming game.

Its Archeage or Blade&Soul (maybe Tera). Hope one of these will be worth trying.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Ok, as far as ive read you can do: RL cash->gems and buy cosmetic and things like portable bankers wih the gems OR do ingane cash -> gems and buy stuff... Let me say it like this: if the gems aint ingame tradable, there is NO way to buy ingame cash with RL cash even with gems...
    Even if they are, economy will probably straighten that out...

Also note that even with unlimited cash you would only have a small advantage to some players, but i 100% trust arenanet and im sure theyll never allow such things. Till now its still going great, only 1 more obstacle..: the release :D
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

Originally posted by fatboy21007

nice 1 day old trollin ^^. I played gw1, their micro system no way effects gameplay it was simply cosmetics only.  i find it funny trolls come out tryin to stir people up, any1 that knows about Guild Wars already know their system has never been p2w.

GW1 is an old game. Thats why they are making GW2 to get money out of it. Alot of games started with cosmetics, thats the tricky thing in this p2w model. You really think it will be only cosmetics lol, dont fool yourself please.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by baykes112

nice 1 day old trollin ^^. I played gw1, their micro system no way effects gameplay it was simply cosmetics only.  i find it funny trolls come out tryin to stir people up, any1 that knows about Guild Wars already know their system has never been p2w.

GW1 is an old game. Thats why they are making GW2 to get money out of it. Alot of games started with cosmetics, thats the tricky thing in this p2w model. You really think it will be only cosmetics lol, dont fool yourself please.

Uh.. it will. Don't fool yourself please. GW2 can't function on a P2W system, as the whole competitve play part of the game (which is the majority of it) would be moot.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Congrats Anet, you're doing it right .

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by ChuvarHrama

Pure win if u ask me.

This

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

How is GW2 cash shop remotely close to eve plex system. Having played eve for 6 years. You could only buy game time not items. Plz correct me if i'm wrong.

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

Originally posted by Benthon

Originally posted by baykes112

Uh.. it will. Don't fool yourself please. GW2 can't function on a P2W system, as the whole competitve play part of the game (which is the majority of it) would be moot.

Ow really you really think Anet is thinking about his customers ?? There is no mmo out in the world which  is based on the the gamers suggestions and advices etc. Why would GW2 do so. World has been changed bro. Its all about money now. Same as other games doing right now. Going Back to F2p model with an tricky Item mall system. Im not gonna write names because people will flame on that. Haha i dont even wanna talk about Diablo 3 , thats another story but its the same thing.Real money trade in Action House . Gems with Real cash. You think it will be cosmetics, lets say Christmas suit with rabbit ears. Every1 has it and after that? We all look same whats so different? There is NOOOO item mall based on cosmetics only exept a game which is so empty that they dont even care.Entering a zone where you cant even find 1 person. Mister GW1 experienced player.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

No way is this right, let alone "the perfect system"...

Right would be doing everything they say they're doing without letting players trade gems for gold. Buying cosmetic stuff with money + account services. That's the right way.

Whereas what they have here practically means:  Rich in real life => Rich in game.

I don't know about you, but that just doesn't ring fair with me. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in-game success must only be achievable with in-game effort. It's what gaming is all about.  

And he actually calls this a "level playing field"? Color me amazed. 

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

ya sell plexs for ingame money which u can buy wat u want. ^^

Originally posted by solarine

No way is this right, let alone "the perfect system"...

Right would be doing everything they say they're doing without letting players trade gems for gold. Buying cosmetic stuff with money + account services. That's the right way.

Whereas what they have here practically means:  Rich in real life => Rich in game.

I don't know about you, but that just doesn't ring fair with me. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in-game success must only be achievable with in-game effort. It's what gaming is all about.  

And he actually calls this a "level playing field"? Color me amazed. 

Yeah im happy that som1 is aware of this system . Nice one btw

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

This seems fair. Having it fair is actually the only reason how I might consider using a cash shop. Pay 2 win defeats the purpose of a game. If they offer something really cool, vanity wise, I might try it. 

I guess gems is only used for cosmetic items, not end game items, thus making it a time sink / money sink that is optional. people with lots of times on their hands and less real cash, can play the hell out of the game. people with less patience. it's all vanity so its useless game wise.

the dye system will let people be unique without going down the route of having to buy vanity stuff to seperate themselves. and thanks to TM, you can alter any piece of gear to your efficent game armor. I think this game might not suffer from having clones walking around at end game.

Now they just need to make sure there is enough faces, hairstyles and haircuts for all the races.

• CarpfaceCarpface Member Posts: 41

This is taken from the blog post: "We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold."

Everything else sounds fine, but this concerns me. Depending on the exchange rate between gems and gold, players could concievably use real money to pay for gems, and then pay for gold in turn. They could then use that gold to buy items that do confer an advantage, say, in PVP. The blog post says that it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time, but within the system they outline, a select few with deep enough pockets certainly could spend money to gain an unfair advantage, albeit vicariously. They should honestly remove the option to exchange gems for gold. There's nothing else in their proposed plans that irks me.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Kalfer

This seems fair. Having it fair is actually the only reason how I might consider using a cash shop. Pay 2 win defeats the purpose of a game. If they offer something really cool, vanity wise, I might try it. 

I guess gems is only used for cosmetic items, not end game items, thus making it a time sink / money sink that is optional. people with lots of times on their hands and less real cash, can play the hell out of the game. people with less patience. it's all vanity so its useless game wise.

Not really. Seeing as you can trade gems for gold, that amounts to being able to buy anything buyable in-game with real money.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by timeraider

Ok, as far as ive read you can do: RL cash->gems and buy cosmetic and things like portable bankers wih the gems OR do ingane cash -> gems and buy stuff... Let me say it like this: if the gems aint ingame tradable, there is NO way to buy ingame cash with RL cash even with gems...

Even if they are, economy will probably straighten that out...

Also note that even with unlimited cash you would only have a small advantage to some players, but i 100% trust arenanet and im sure theyll never allow such things. Till now its still going great, only 1 more obstacle..: the release :D

What's sad is with all the money in the world you won't even have a small advatange in the game, unless you mean golem banker lol.

Because the game itself can't be won in a sense where your money did the playing for you.

Gems can't get tokens/karma(which has it's some unique things itself)/rewards from events i.e I remember world bosses have token, all these have their own venders, so you still gotta play.

Game is based on skill as well, gear won't let you faceroll dungeons, worldbosses, some events, hidden areas.

Cosmectic itself so it makes sense, you can't p2w instanced pvp, a server can't even p2w wvwvw lol, you can't p2w pve thanks to scaling, and that the power stays once you hit level 80.

So in which the game itself was set up for not p2w in the very beginning, paying destroys the time to get [some] of what the game offers, you'll still have to play regardless, because how will one xperience all of the game.

Strongest gear is obtainable by all methods, look is the difference.

No one can be on God mode in this game not even zergs because the game in all aspects both pvp and pve negate this, in the way they set it up.

So in the end it makes sense no matter the spin.

If the go against the game they are making then it could be p2w but you'd have to strip all those features in order to do so.

One those "Oh well damn it doesn't work like previous MMOs I see."

Edited: Kalfer added another issue at ease, dye system itself, so you'll already be able to strive from uniquess without paying.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.