Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Closing a Chapter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Change is an inevitable part of life in general, and of EVE Online specifically and big changes have been ongoing since the close of 2011. In today's One Jump Home, we take a look at some of the momentous alterations in EVE Online. Keep reading!

But when the Drone Regions were added, CCP took an alternate route when it came to the rewards players would be given in exchange for killing the NPCs they found throughout their space: Minerals. Specifically compounds which were then refined into minerals. Previously the only way to acquire raw materials to build ships in EVE Online was mainly through the act of mining. Slaving away at an asteroid for endless hours in a mining barge, sucking rocks through a tube to finance your activities in EVE Online. And for a while this was an entirely legitimate way of making ISK in EVE, there was always a demand to replace ships and modules lost in combat or through pilot error. And so CCP took it upon themselves to create these regions in order to make sure there'd be an abundance of mineral income across the game.

Read more of Ross McDermott's One Jump Home: Closing a Chapter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Jeez Ross you seem to check your sources about as often as Riverini does, in the xXDeathXx alliances its well known that Legion of xXDeathXx is the big bro so to speak and Shadow is simply a renter alliance that has no leadership role at all. Sure shadow has more members and occupies more space but that is because Legion rents out membership and space.

Another thing, "the crown jewel" Fey has been under the control of Against ALL Authorities for some time now and has never been a front in this war.... and yes the correct spelling is with ALL in CAPS.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I don't agree with the author - It's not a pity that xXDeathXx are losing their industry. This is because you can't really develop an emotional attachment to this sort of activity.

I think this is the main weakness of Eve - it's all about war and industry.

If we could make space stations of designed beauty, perhaps an emotional attachment would be genuine.

One day, if a game like Eve (and soon DUST) could be combined with the creativity and individualism of Minecraft, that would be something.

• White_TreeWhite_Tree Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Calfis

Jeez Ross you seem to check your sources about as often as Riverini does, in the xXDeathXx alliances its well known that Legion of xXDeathXx is the big bro so to speak and Shadow is simply a renter alliance that has no leadership role at all. Sure shadow has more members and occupies more space but that is because Legion rents out membership and space.

Another thing, "the crown jewel" Fey has been under the control of Against ALL Authorities for some time now and has never been a front in this war.... and yes the correct spelling is with ALL in CAPS.

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of the sister xDeath Alliances with 100% accuracy, and if I implied that I did I'm sorry. In addition to this, UAxDeath really was the top man for that bloc. 

And yes, Fayth IS a crown jewel of the south, the gas acquired from these regions is heavily controlled and managed, I lived down there for a while under that thumb and was ordered to not touch it for fear of punishment.

And the point about AAA's capitalization seems like semantics.

Don't compare me to Riverini, I don't pretend to peddle ABSOLUTE TRUTHS about what is or is not happening, and I don't write like a 6 year old. Much of my information is acquired through diplomatic contacts, and a great amount of it is me merely pondering possibilities.

Feel free to take what I write here with a pinch of skepticism, I can't be everywhere at once and I can't garentee you that 100% of what I say is going to be accurate in your eyes. This is an opinion piece, and don't have the resources necessary to become a human RSS feed for EVE Online news.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I don't agree with the author - It's not a pity that xXDeathXx are losing their industry. This is because you can't really develop an emotional attachment to this sort of activity.

I pitty the loss of the XDeath bloc the same way you pitty the loss of a tree that has stood in your back yard since you were a child and was cut down. You'll get over it, it's not a 'deep emotional loss', so much as it's a large change that you weren't necessarily ready for and something that might take you a while to get used too. 

I know xDeath personally from our time on the CSM, and that's about as far as our relationship goes. I was also present for the fight for what was it, C-L? Or something. The system name escapes me, it was a good rumble, 1900+ in local.

Anyway, in the long term, change is good. It's good to see -A- get some long-coming revenge. I'd mourn -A-'s complete destruction the same way I'd mourn xDeath's. I have no vested interest in these blocs or alliances the same way I'd have no vested interest in the aformentioned tree, never the less, things change, you miss them, you move on. 

Originally posted by White_Tree

I don't pretend to know the inner workings of the sister xDeath Alliances with 100% accuracy, and if I implied that I did I'm sorry. In addition to this, UAxDeath really was the top man for that bloc. 

And yes, Fayth IS a crown jewel of the south, the gas acquired from these regions is heavily controlled and managed, I lived down there for a while under that thumb and was ordered to not touch it for fear of punishment.

Don't compare me to Riverini, I don't pretend to peddle ABSOLUTE TRUTHS about what is or is not happening, and I don't write like a 6 year old. Much of my information is acquired through diplomatic contacts, and a great amount of it is me merely pondering possibilities.

Feel free to take what I write here with a pinch of skepticism, I can't be everywhere at once and I can't garentee you that 100% of what I say is going to be accurate in your eyes. This is an opinion piece, and don't have the resources necessary to become a human RSS feed for EVE Online news.

Fair enough, 

UAxDeath is the top man but what I mean to say is that Legion of xXDeathXx should be mentioned as the principle participant of the war rather than Shadow which is simply the renter arm of Legion. You mention it as a "War with Shadow" when it is really a war against Legion. As a grunt on the front lines I can say from personal experience that none of our commanders consider Shadow to be a serious fighting force. In fact some of them have already switched to SOLAR Citizens. Shadow is in fact on the same par as any other "Citizens" alliance. The real military force is Legion.

As for Fey, your piece seemed to read like it was still a front in this war when it has in fact for a long time now, been far far from the frontlines. In fact it was barely under threat when AAA withdrew to Stain last year.

It is just semantics but since you seem to feel the need to mention the DOT after Raiden. rather than just calling them Raiden (because really is there any other entity named Raiden they can be confused with?) It seems fair to get the styling of the alliance name correct because the ALL in Against ALL Authorities was capped purposely. When you read Against All Authorities its not the same as reading Against ALL Authorities (loud emphasis on all).

FYI I've been in the south and paying attention to southern politics since early 2010 so if you need clarification on things you can just PM me on these boards, serious offer.

I certainly wouldn't object to the occasional tl;dr here's whats going on in the south evemail. If you want to shoot me the occasional few lines about something to White Tree in game I'd certainly read it. 

Edit: That goes for anyone else who reads this article too. If you have comments, suggestions or corrections you feel I should make, evemail is a great way of getting in touch with me. 

I certainly wouldn't object to the occasional tl;dr here's whats going on in the south evemail. If you want to shoot me the occasional few lines about something to White Tree in game I'd certainly read it. 

Edit: That goes for anyone else who reads this article too. If you have comments, suggestions or corrections you feel I should make, evemail is a great way of getting in touch with me. 

Will do ;)

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

It's a shame that CCP is so blind that they chose to cater to such a small minority of gamers and as a result it limits how far EVE can grow as a mmo. Unfortunately, those same gamers aren't able to see it either while they wallow in their self-degredating gamestyle.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by Czanrei

It's a shame that CCP is so blind that they chose to cater to such a small minority of gamers and as a result it limits how far EVE can grow as a mmo. Unfortunately, those same gamers aren't able to see it either while they wallow in their self-degredating gamestyle.

Lol what?  EVE is popular because actions are meaningful and a single person can do things that rock the foundations of the game.  It's pretty amazing, why would anyone in their right mind want that to change? 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• Druid_UKDruid_UK Member Posts: 58

Seconded

-----
    Pay-to-Win / F2P will be the death of real gaming, Boycott it !!

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Not sure what you mean. At all. I play EVE, but don't participate in the situations that are described by White Tree (although I enjoy hearing about them through his well-written column), and I still find a *ton* of stuff in the game to enjoy. There is always something to do, whether I'm solo or in a fleet. EVE is immense and open-ended, and pretty much offers any type of gameplay that you're looking for. 

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

You do realize that it is a single shard right? And that the single shard is kind of the point... Some people don't want to be in a no name guild in a mass of millions spread across countless shards. Some people like the feel of a single community.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

In addition that "small" group of players make up approximately half of the server population in one form or another(including all of the individual pilots and industrialists needed to run a good corp and all of the corps need to run a single good alliance etc.

There is always room for a "talented" player (IE someone good at organizing others) to enter the game, develop relationships and create a brand new kick ass corporation that can anchor a brand new alliance and eventualy kick one of the old dinosaurs out of lucrative space. The only thing holding most of the corp's and alliances together is a handfull of strong personalities. The rest is made up of individuals who simply like doing whatever they are doing.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Fair enough, 

UAxDeath is the top man but what I mean to say is that Legion of xXDeathXx should be mentioned as the principle participant of the war rather than Shadow which is simply the renter arm of Legion. You mention it as a "War with Shadow" when it is really a war against Legion. As a grunt on the front lines I can say from personal experience that none of our commanders consider Shadow to be a serious fighting force. In fact some of them have already switched to SOLAR Citizens. Shadow is in fact on the same par as any other "Citizens" alliance. The real military force is Legion.

As for Fey, your piece seemed to read like it was still a front in this war when it has in fact for a long time now, been far far from the frontlines. In fact it was barely under threat when AAA withdrew to Stain last year.

It is just semantics but since you seem to feel the need to mention the DOT after Raiden. rather than just calling them Raiden (because really is there any other entity named Raiden they can be confused with?) It seems fair to get the styling of the alliance name correct because the ALL in Against ALL Authorities was capped purposely. When you read Against All Authorities its not the same as reading Against ALL Authorities (loud emphasis on all).

FYI I've been in the south and paying attention to southern politics since early 2010 so if you need clarification on things you can just PM me on these boards, serious offer.

Nothing worse than a nit picky reply.  Didn't spell the names right, give me a break.  The important thing is that change is in the air again.  It was a good article as usual.   Thanks for posting it.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Fair enough, 

Nothing worse than a nit picky reply.  Didn't spell the names right, give me a break.  The important thing is that change is in the air again.  It was a good article as usual.   Thanks for posting it.

It was agreat article, yeah I guess name spelling is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things but there is really a substantive difference between Shadow of xXDeathXx and Legion of xXDeathXx. The former being the serf alliance and the latter being the masters. I've seen this confusion between Legion and Shadow before so I thought I would clarify, being a participant in this war I can say that the principle target is Legion of xXDeathXx and we are simply slaughtering all the Shadow members who are in the war path.

Shadow is not seen as a real entity like Legion because it is full of industrialists and "carebears" where as Legion is where all the PvP people are supposedly. I say supposedly because it looks like they have cut and run leaving their renters in shadow to be meat shields covering their escape.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Now I don't have to read Kugu to know what the heck is going on in 0.0. 

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I have no idea who any of these people are or have played Eve but I like these reports its like a internet soap opera.  Reminds me of SWG in its early days and the storys that would develop within.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Its truly painful trying to read these posts with such moronic player and alliance names.

• DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134

Anything that sees the Russian powerblocs broken up or at least shaken up is a good thing in my book.  Their stranglehold on large parts of 0.0 coupled with their...*tolerance* (I'm inclined to say eager support and profit from) RMT botting puts a huge stain on EVE in general.  Now if we could just get some 0.0 entitys that would go about mass murdering all botters in all of 0.0 it might make EVE a more fun place to fly.

(Yeah I know any kind of action against the botters would require some major rules/mechanics changes from CCP, but I can dream can't I?)