Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Microtransaction Goals & Systems Detailed

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

It's the ideal system becuase you can get everything with ingame gold if you get enough of it and trade it for gems. Pretty much what STO did.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

this system is just a setup for a cash grab. 

If they want my confidence then they should buy back gems for the same price they sell them for, so that players can actually make money from the system and prevent inflation.   If they aren't willing to do this, then it's just a cash grab, that's it, end of story.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by fansede

Originally posted by Crackbone -snip-

Playng Devil's advocate here. Bear with me.

So If i buy the game I won't be able to get distinguished items unless I pay more? In other words, I will have a buttload of clones of my toon unless I spend more money on gems?

Or farm for gold- because I need gold to buy gems. How do I farm when the game is based on dynamic events? Are we going to need to run dungeons over and over? Do WvWvW offer gold on player drops?

If gold buys gems as well as real money, Anet doesn't make money from the sale of gems bought this way, yes? So gold IS a huge commodity. Farming will be a common practice then.

::shrugs:: 

I may be way off, but just making some points to stir the hornets nest

I think you can special visual stash from Achievements. But if that's a major inconvenience or you've already used up your gems/trans stones and want immediate changes then you buy 'em??

This part of the game has no interest for me, so I could be wrong, as I have not followed it very precisely. : )

MMO veterans will note the similarities of our system to EVE Online’s PLEX system. As in that case, our system takes gold trading out of the hands of real-money trading (RMT) companies and puts it directly in the hands of players.

This: "Out of the hands of real-money trading (RMT) companies". Very pleased to hear this.

• mindrotcorpmindrotcorp Member Posts: 10

Nice !

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

lol I knew this was coming, I've been preaching it for a long time.  The blessed B2P revolution is upon us... get your credit cards ready!!

• webmasterrwebmasterr Member Posts: 6

This all what are you saying here depends on one thing: what type of items will be in item shop for gems? if some of 50% exp, etc...it will be very baad... but if there will be just some items for appearance etc..that should be good i hope..

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Best way of handling a cash shop honestly. If this was added in retroactively to Guild Wars 1, I'd of been nabbing up a few costume sets for myself.

Hopefully, this should shut up some of the whinier posters who think even the cosmetic costumes are a "pay to win" scheme.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by adam_nox

this system is just a setup for a cash grab. 

If they want my confidence then they should buy back gems for the same price they sell them for, so that players can actually make money from the system and prevent inflation.   If they aren't willing to do this, then it's just a cash grab, that's it, end of story.

The system exists solely to take the money out of the gold sellers pockets and put it into the NCSoft/ArenaNet's pockets. It's just like PLEX as O'Brien mentioned, however where other game receive flack (like f2p RoM) for using similar systems Guild Wars 2 will receive praise as it's the next coming and all that stuff.

Personally I don't care one way or the other, I liked their system before and if they actually stick to their guns and only sell items of connivence or for cosmetic purposes then more power to them. I am sure such a system will turn them more profit then their old system and I would rather the developers get the money then the gold farmers.

So I would not expect them to take money that would go in their pockets and give it to the gamers.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by Kuppa

But what they have is just one layer of abstraction from directly buying ingame currency with gold. I know the main reason they did this though is to prevent RMT but its a bit hard to swallow still....

Yes and its a good reason at best, remember what Mike said, "I’ve described here is the right foundation for us to build upon," which honestly seems to be in the right direction... Much more is still uncertain and in the works. 

What makes it hard to swallow? Mike also said, "If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins." It's a win-win situation, how else would ArenaNet generate revenue for future content, support and expansions of GW2?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm all for this system. It isn't perfect but it's the best solution I've seen.

• No more gold sellers

• Spending real money on gems is worth it

• There are ways to get cash shop items for those that can't/won't spend real money

I'd like to see someone to come up with a better system that is good for everyone (including ANet), but I doubt they could.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The new Zynga.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Originally posted by Kuppa

One big question that I would love for mmorpg.com to ask anet on the beta.

Can you buy gems for money and buy gold with those gems to become wealthy in-game??

Yes, the blog does state you can sell the gems for in-game gold.  However, it will be sold in the local economic market (i.e. Auction house) so as demand waxes and wanes, as well as supplies of gems, the price should vary.  In other words if you try to drop 10,000 gems into the market the price should decrease..to a point where you shouldn't want to sell the remainder of the 10k....

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by fansede

Originally posted by Crackbone

This is about as close to perfect as you can get in a Microtransaction supported game. 

No one loses.  

Player 1 - No time, has some real life money, can either buy cash shop items with Gems, or sell Gems on AH for Gold. 

Player 2 - Plenty of time, no real life money, can earn MT items via farming in the game, buying Gems for Gold in the Trading post. 

Player 3 - Med Time/Med RL Money can do a little bit of both. 

What I'm really liking about this more than anything is, it's more support to the in game economy.  

Lastly, it really discourages gold farmers simply because it'll be likely easier to purchase Gems directly from Arenanet and sell them on the Trading Post for Gold, rather than go outside the game. 

Playng Devil's advocate here. Bear with me.

So If i buy the game I won't be able to get distinguished items unless I pay more? In other words, I will have a buttload of clones of my toon unless I spend more money on gems?

Or farm for gold- because I need gold to buy gems. How do I farm when the game is based on dynamic events? Are we going to need to run dungeons over and over? Do WvWvW offer gold on player drops?

If gold buys gems as well as real money, Anet doesn't make money from the sale of gems bought this way, yes? So gold IS a huge commodity. Farming will be a common practice then.

::shrugs:: 

I may be way off, but just making some points to stir the hornets nest

I would bear with you if you had done actual research and then layered real problems.

There is a dye system with over 400 colours that you can get without paying a dime and armors got up to 3 different slots.

Then there are the guild emblems that can be put in any piece, even weapons.

There is no way to farm anything. You just go around the world and do anything you see.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

Originally posted by webmasterr

This all what are you saying here depends on one thing: what type of items will be in item shop for gems? if some of 50% exp, etc...it will be very baad... but if there will be just some items for appearance etc..that should be good i hope..

50% exp IMO is not really a P2W scenario, especially since the PvP in GW2 is scaled so that everyone is lvl 80 (less skills than a real lvl 80).

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by Crackbone

This is about as close to perfect as you can get in a Microtransaction supported game. 

No one loses.  

Player 1 - No time, has some real life money, can either buy cash shop items with Gems, or sell Gems on AH for Gold. 

Player 2 - Plenty of time, no real life money, can earn MT items via farming in the game, buying Gems for Gold in the Trading post. 

Player 3 - Med Time/Med RL Money can do a little bit of both. 

What I'm really liking about this more than anything is, it's more support to the in game economy.  

Lastly, it really discourages gold farmers simply because it'll be likely easier to purchase Gems directly from Arenanet and sell them on the Trading Post for Gold, rather than go outside the game. 

+1

Perfectly said.  It is a solid system that worked very well in EVE.  RMT outside of game is the greatest evil to the economy of an MMO and this eradicates it. 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

There is no endgame in this game so getting a 50% xp boost to get to level cap quick isn't even worth it. You're probably just shooting yourself up because.... I'm actually not sure why you'd want to purchase a 50% xp boost in a game like GW2....

This is not a game.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I am glad AN is going this route because I will never subscribe to another mmo like Lotro or Allods that offer P2W methods.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Czanrei

I am glad AN is going this route because I will never subscribe to another mmo like Lotro or Allods that offer P2W methods.

But you'll PAY for a game from AN that then has P2W on top of it?  Buying in game gold for cash is P2W no matter how people want to spin it.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by NMStudio

But you'll PAY for a game from AN that then has P2W on top of it?  Buying in game gold for cash is P2W no matter how people want to spin it.

I keep seeing this, but what do you win?

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Zeroxin

There is no endgame in this game so getting a 50% xp boost to get to level cap quick isn't even worth it. You're probably just shooting yourself up because.... I'm actually not sure why you'd want to purchase a 50% xp boost in a game like GW2....

only reason would be to boost alts through to 80 so you are not scaled up for WvW.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

This is a great system, but its not new. This is exactly how Star Trek Online works. You can trade dillithium(which you earn in game) for C-points(which you use to buy store items) and vice versa.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

This system is fairly similar to Runes of Magic and diamonds and I loved that system. 

What will make or break the cash shop is what exactly we can buy with gold and how caught up the populas will be on stats in a group dungeons.  Still, you want to make sure you can buy things in game.  

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by NMStudio

I keep seeing this, but what do you win?

ESPECIALLY in a game like LOTRO - I love people that call it a PTW game :D!

I have no problem with Anet's vision (so far anyways)  We'll have to see how it shakes out.  For me, as long as nothing AT 'endgame' (whether that's PVP or PVE) REQUIRES items that CAN be purchased - then it's all OK.  I could care less about things like exp boosts etc.  I have more money than time and that's something I'd have no trouble with.

Lastly...can the 20 topics about this be merged?  Please?  It's a little ridiculous :D

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Love this system, came to comment to say that but the Nagus already beat me to it, Star Trek Online's had this in place since they went free to play. It's more or less completely annihilated the RMT market from the game as well as for a no-lifer like me, made it easier for me to support the game by buying other people's points, having points to spend, and getting other types of money into the other player's hands. This system is a win/win/win and I'm glad to see it being used!

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Not sure if anyone brought this up or not yet, but there's a hint in the blog about this not being your traditional auction, but a trading post. 

I am most excited by this, as this seems to imply that Anet will have more of a hands on role in the auction house. I suspect we won't have a completely "free" market but one similar to our stock system in the US.  This will help control the price so people won't get rich or try to cheat the system. 

The Guild Banker with the digital version feels like a hint of things we can buy.  5 uses to access your bank in the field. How important will this be.  Will this be something you have to have.  How big are your bags?  

I know the game said no mounts, but what about speed potions that are convinent.  Will underground standards be put in place that you need a certain amount of speed potions so not to slow down the party?