Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Weekend Pass Upcoming & Crew Skill Changes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware has announced that players looking for some free game time in Star Wars: The Old Republic will want to check into the game from Thursday, March 22nd at 12:01AM CDT / 5:01AM GMT and ends on Monday, March 26th at 2:00AM CDT / 7:00AM GMT. According to the team, the response to the first weekend pass event was an overwhelming success.

Georg Zoeller has also penned a new blog post detailing the upcoming Crew Skill alterations that will be unleashed when v1.2 goes live in April. Currently, 1.2 is available for testing on the public test server.

Read more at the links posted above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Another weekend pass?  Give me a few more of these in a row and i can just play the game for free.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Squeezing another one in before the financial year end. Good marketing to get the figures up and keep some suits employed.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

The revision blog had some exciting stuff.  I'm glad I held onto Artifice as a Crew Skill.  I almost scrapped it for Biochem.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

I believe that they are trying to herd off people from the Tera beta that starts this weekend.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Khole

Another weekend pass?  Give me a few more of these in a row and i can just play the game for free.

rofl

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by musicmann

I believe that they are trying to herd off people from the Tera beta that starts this weekend.

crap, you had to remind me of the Tera beta.....last Tera beta I had the 7 day pass access to TOR, guess how much TOR I played that weekend....

• zero462usazero462usa Member Posts: 26

lmfao, they're trying so hard. This game should've been F2P from the beginning.

"Watch and Learn Bioware, watch and learn." *points at Guild Wars 2*

• Jumper2kJumper2k Member UncommonPosts: 133

Yay I still cant buy it for a couple and the first weekend pass convinced me, but now I can play a bit more before I get it :) 

Currently Playing: WoW (somewhat)
    Testing: None
    Played: WoW, CoV, AL, SWG, VC, EVE, SWToR

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

First weekend an overwhelming success? LOL! There was ZERO change in population on the two servers I play on! ZERO!

The server status page didn't show much difference compared to regular days either.

I think pretty much everyone who wanted to try out this game, already has. Hence, the zero difference in population that free weekend.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

lol 1.7 million subs and a few who probably bought teh game after the first weekend pass. WoW has even had free weekends before. I dont play SWTOR, but mindlessly hating on something is uncalled for.  SWTOR may fail or it may become the next big thing. You do not know.  Its not even a year old yet and WoW didnt even start to reach 1 million players until after the first year.

What are you gonna do when you realise GW2 isnt as innovating as you think and you end up doing arena pvp matches over and over again... not really for fun, but because their simply isnt anything else to do like there was in GW1? 

Yuo do not know how well GW2 is gonna do and neither do I.  Stop down grading games to make yourself feel better about your current game comming out.

Originally posted by JeroKane

First weekend an overwhelming success? LOL! There was ZERO change in population on the two servers I play on! ZERO!
    The server status page didn't show much difference compared to regular days either.
    I think pretty much everyone who wanted to try out this game, already has. Hence, the zero difference in population that free weekend.

I imagine the triallists went for the heavy servers so if you were light or standard you would miss them. xFire showed a 10% increase for the trial weekend but then apparently that has absolutely no relevance to population trends.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

If SWTOR wasn't hurting for subscribers, BW wouldn't be pushing out so many free trials. I can only hope that Bethesda learns from Bioware's mistakes when they work on their own mmo for the first time.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Bioware es stoopid! Ca ca poo poo pee pee. TOR is yucky gack .no play.

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

Free or subscription, I wont return to this single player game that pretends it's something else. I prefer my single player games to be lag free and with better graphics!

• MoriteMorite Member UncommonPosts: 36

Sadly have to say its boring cause its so unchallenging so there is no point to try it out again.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

I love the game. Is sad to see only hate on this site but after years you get used to mmorpg.com users complains and hate for every new game...

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Corthala

I love the game. Is sad to see only hate on this site but after years you get used to mmorpg.com users complains and hate for every new game...

It's not hate. Just when you lift the veil or remove the biggest selling point which is Star Wars from it, you can clearly see that it is a very poorly done SPG with coop functions. First and foremost i love SW, and Bioware or Lucas Arts or both just destroyed a little bit more of the IP. The NGE now this bland and static game to represent one of the biggest, in depth and diverse IP's on the planet. Just pathetic.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Don't worry guys a month after Guild Wars 2 is out and theres NOTHING to do but the same PVP matches OVER AND OVER AND OVER the same people will bash that game.  To make it worse theres no incentive to do anything in the game since gear means almost nothing.    Yes getting gear is an incentive improving your toon is an incentive.   

My OPINION is GW2 will be something people buy and play once in awhile, but will still play other MMOs.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Corthala

Is sad to see only hate on this site but after years you get used to mmorpg.com users complains and hate for every new game...

maybe if Dev companies would stop making these sucktastic, linear, shallow WoWannabe's there wouldnt be so much hate.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by BartDaCat

The revision blog had some exciting stuff.  I'm glad I held onto Artifice as a Crew Skill.  I almost scrapped it for Biochem.

Me too!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Or you could just stop hating, it is not cool and have not been for several years... The only thing it gives you is a bleeding ulcer.

By all means dislike things. But this tone seen on here most of the days is just uncalled for.

This have been a good conversation

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Does the pass come with a fashion show? image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Another free weekend just shows how badly EA/BW needs to pump up the numbers in advance of the early April conference call with investors.

And you can bet, they will include every single trial/buddy acct and every single 90 day acct that ran out today/yesterday in those numbers, even for those that canceled. All while actual in game populations are declining on many servers, or barely staying stable on others.

There are rumors on the financial side that analysts expect to see a certain number and if that is not met, it will be more bad news for EA/BW. It will be interesting to see if they quote "active subs" or "paying subs" and further how they break down the revenue.

You can expect as much positive spin from EA/BW on the numbers as possible, without actually saying something that can / would violate financial reporting guidelines.

In short, all these trial subs and buddy keys and "come back for a week" trials are part of the financial "shell game".

In corporare financial speak:

"Active Subs" = anyone logging into TOR at all, even on free and trial accts

"Active subs for Q1 2012" = anyone logging in to TOR from Jan - Mar 2012, including trial accts and people that have canceled

"Active Subs" =/= paying subs, as mentioned, they will count every trial acct

"Active Subs" =/= sold boxes, for the same reason as above

"Units sold" = units sold to large retailers and direct digitial downloads =/= people playing or even units customers have bought.

When the numbers come out, it will be interesting to see what specifically is announced and how it is broken out, and this does not include the "gross sales/revenue" split, which is before LEC/LA and retailers take their cut.

Originally posted by Burntvet

Another free weekend just shows how badly EA/BW needs to pump up the numbers in advance of the early April conference call with investors.
    And you can bet, they will include every single trial/buddy acct and every single 90 day acct that ran out today/yesterday in those numbers, even for those that canceled. All while actual in game populations are declining on many servers, or barely staying stable on others.
    There are rumors on the financial side that analysts expect to see a certain number and if that is not met, it will be more bad news for EA/BW. It will be interesting to see if they quote "active subs" or "paying subs" and further how they break down the revenue.
    You can expect as much positive spin from EA/BW on the numbers as possible, without actually saying something that can would violate financial reporting guidelines.
    In short, all these trial subs and buddy keys and "come back for a week" trials are part of the financial "shell game".

It's the end of the financial year for EA so I imagine they will have to be more precise with their reports than the vague comments of the last month or so.
  • Bicknell55Bicknell55 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I've been playing since start... been enough IMO... have a 50 on a PvP & a PvE server... same stuff... soooo boring now.  (Plus other leveled toons) 

PVP busted... Crafting Busted.... Game Busted! 

just my thoughts... 

Bick