Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest worry about GW2?

Comments

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Biggest worry: not the game but the gamers

Those who haven't read any of the stickie that explaines everything anyone needs to understand GW2 and instead expected MMO like what existed currently.

Those that keeps asking if there is Trinity , whats WvWvW, whats Dodge....etc

Those that is surprised when they keep wiping on easy dungeons because of traps, random encounters ( they stated that there are 10 different things that might happen when you run a dungeon, might be extra chest, extra mob...etc ) and asks for it to be tune down in difficulties

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Lucioon

Biggest worry: not the game but the gamers

Those who haven't read any of the stickie that explaines everything anyone needs to understand GW2 and instead expected MMO like what existed currently.

Those that keeps asking if there is Trinity , whats WvWvW, whats Dodge....etc

Those that is surprised when they keep wiping on easy dungeons because of traps, random encounters ( they stated that there are 10 different things that might happen when you run a dungeon, might be extra chest, extra mob...etc ) and asks for it to be tune down in difficulties

Completly agree with this, and I think the first month will be full of this.

Also the community in general, I hope it doesnt turn out like some of Blizzards games.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm actually worried about the open world having no depth besides the dynamic events. Most themepark MMO's share this curse, the open world is not much more than a leveling experience + spawning pool for gathering nodes. Dynamic events helps tremendously, but it wont save the open world unless it's full of unexpected encounters and places, misc content, stuff that makes the world feel interesting past the obvious things.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Kuinn

I'm actually worried about the open world having no depth besides the dynamic events. Most themepark MMO's share this curse, the open world is not much more than a leveling experience + spawning pool for gathering nodes. Dynamic events helps tremendously, but it wont save the open world unless it's full of unexpected encounters and places, misc content, stuff that makes the world feel interesting past the obvious things.

Isn't that kind of what Dynamic Events do? Offer exactly that ?

My biggest worry about GW2, that i wont get to play this game before june  :(

Lolipops !

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

My biggest worry is lag.

Recently I bought Guildwars(1) and started playing it. Why? I was bored and wanted to see why everyone played the first episode. At first I really liked the decisions the devs had made and the instanced zones didn't bother me. At low levels nothing could really kill me, but later on the lag and rubberbanding mobs made the game a bit less fun.

I did a pingtest and traced the hops. It wasn't my connection. Their customerservices even aknowledged this to me. They advised to pick different times to play. Primetime was stretching their servers. Funny, but as I play on the Europe-English server and during 2am-10am and 1pm and 4pm GMT, I never was close to Euro primetime. I checked twice primetime and my latency was fine and the server didn't seem too busy. Like 10+ players in the 3 hubs. I also tried during US primetime and their servers are really busy.

So I am worried about lag. I do not know if the coding of GW(1) gave troubles or their servers, but 50% of my gametime I encountered lag and rubberbanding mobs. That's no fun if you really have to dodge all the time.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Heh, I could have been a bit more specific indeed. Dynamic events are half of the pie (where most MMO's miss the whole pie), but dynamic events seem like they will end up in certain places, going back and forth, and you'll propably learn to spot in time what's going on and to which dynamic event that relates.

I'd like to see unexpected stuff outside these predetermined events, a lot of secret places, hidden this and that, or just misc stuff out in the open that is not related to these scripted events. There could be a lot of stuff like that, but I certainly havent heard much of it if there is something. I heard and saw a video about some hidden boss, but I've no idea how much there will be stuff like this (and hopefully it's not always some mob as a "reward").

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Actually i now have a new biggest worry...

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

Just noticed they updated the prices for the standard version... yup they are asking £50 for a game I wont be paying that for it LOL

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Biggest worry :

Ridiculous 33% higher price for Europeans. NCSoft has a store in Europe so shipping costs can't be high (none for digital versions of course) and VAT is nowhere this high to my knowledge. The difference is ridiculously high. CE is $205 for UK lol.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Heh, I could have been a bit more specific indeed. Dynamic events are half of the pie (where most MMO's miss the whole pie), but dynamic events seem like they will end up in certain places, going back and forth, and you'll propably learn to spot in time what's going on and to which dynamic event that relates.

I'd like to see unexpected stuff outside these predetermined events, a lot of secret places, hidden this and that, or just misc stuff out in the open that is not related to these scripted events. There could be a lot of stuff like that, but I certainly havent heard much of it if there is something. I heard and saw a video about some hidden boss, but I've no idea how much there will be stuff like this (and hopefully it's not always some mob as a "reward").

Depends how much you looks into the game bro, they have all that, people would prolly stay and just hear dynamic events and assume that's all there is. They are fixing the exploration with unexpected things, even events be ause some only happen at night, some day, some cause weather changes, some happen because of the weather changes. Then you have hidden dungeons, skill points, traits to find, and that's at least what I've seen and expect. I don't really expect you to know this as some fans don't give full detail about the game they just list one thing, your worry in a sense is their focus far as pve, he'll their even in wvwvw. Don't know about non instance dungeons but there are hidden places, and they can be founded in water and etc. take not that these areas aren't instances. Hope this helps man.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

I'm 100% with ya on that! Even though i will mostly PVP i really love this aspect and I am a little bit worried about it. Loved in DAOC how you could just explore for hours. Hopefully not every spot in the world will be filled with quests and NPCs.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

My Biggest worry is that people will always try to find flaws in every little thing and compare it to their definition of perfection.

Even if no one ever stated that GW2 is gonna be perfect.

Guild Wars 2 is interesting to me because its different, its doing what other MMO haven't done.

Therefore its not whether or not its perfect, but whether or not its different enough that other games being developed should take notes on, and to me, its definitely different enough that they need to pay attention.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• 2D34DLY4U2D34DLY4U Member UncommonPosts: 62

My biggest worry is that GW2 does not live up to the hype and that by joining the high expectations bandwagon I will end up frustrated with another mmo game and some euros poorer.

I remember when AoC, WAR and LOTRO were going to launch, lots of disgruntled WOW players lauded these games as the next best thing, daydreamed and made all sorts of conclusions based on all sorts of available information. All except playing the game itself. Then the games came out and after 6 months...meh.

With SWTOR I am aware the same thing happened, I am happy that I didn't ride that train.

Now it's GW2, I will pre order and really hope I can find a new fun pvp game to play, but sometimes I get this deja vu feeling from previous experiences...let's see how it goes.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

My concern is simple, yet so complicated... I don't know what the hell to do. Part of me wants to (and intends to) explore the PvE world as fully as possible, but man... WvW I could get lost in forever. This is the first time I've seen a game where the PvP and PvE were so equally alluring.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• viletotoviletoto Member Posts: 22

I'm a a little worried after watching the "ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto " video.  they say in the video that you can see a village getting attacked you can save it and "it stays saved"  so say there is a dynamic event and i choose to save this village and  it "stays saved"  .  by that statement  I should  never see this village get attacked by the same enemies?  if that is the case it seems like the world will be heavily phased depending on my actions , and every player will have different phasings.  seems like this would make it really hard after a while since everyone will be seeing different things all through the world.  or when they say it "stays saved"  do they mean "stays saved until the next (same) dynamic event happens to that village and it resets"  ?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

The official forums O:

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

Me my worry is how different from GW1 will it be.

To be honest B2P mmorpg is a great idea but at the moment i have nerver seen it.

It is hard to believe that pro capitalist does'nt want to make money with cash shop or subscription. Or creating paying expansion every 6 months...

It is like a myth and good communication advert.

I just hope it will be a truly good mmo with a large world where we enjoy to login ^^

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

My biggest concern for gw2 is their cash shop implementation.

Earlier guild war 1 have some convinience stuff in their cash shop like character slot and skill unlock pack. Lately they're introducing cosmetic costume and stuff into their cash shop. Thats taking a step in the wrong direction but i can still live with that. But since the announcement of gw2 preorder pack and price, i can't help but wonder how far are they going with their cash shop. Guild leveling token, pvp exp boost?..........if they become a typical f2p cash shop game then i'll be very very dissapointed with Anet

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Originally posted by viletoto

I'm a a little worried after watching the "ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto " video.  they say in the video that you can see a village getting attacked you can save it and "it stays saved"  so say there is a dynamic event and i choose to save this village and  it "stays saved"  .  by that statement  I should  never see this village get attacked by the same enemies?  if that is the case it seems like the world will be heavily phased depending on my actions , and every player will have different phasings.  seems like this would make it really hard after a while since everyone will be seeing different things all through the world.  or when they say it "stays saved"  do they mean "stays saved until the next (same) dynamic event happens to that village and it resets"  ?

uhm i havent seen the manifesto in a year or so but im pretty sure that they say that when a village is atacked by centaurs and conquered it stays CONQUERED until someone saves them.  The idea is that wherever you are there or not, events happen and some of them need the interaction of humans to go on in the next chain of events. There is no phasing in the world of GW2.

You should check out some videos of the game, there clearly is not a single trace of phasing.

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

well that isn´t going to happen the only thing purchasable will be cosmetic and stuff to put on your character, not things that will make u better than others,

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

My biggest concern is that it'll be fun for about a month or two, but there won't be enough to strive for (that I personally care about) to keep me playing much longer than that. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

My biggest worry about GW2 is the Dynamic Events, though it's not the same worry most share. My concern is that people will fall back on old MMO habits and ignore areas they'd be scaled down for, ending up with empty events. True, they scale down to allow for solo play (most) but it's still more fun with others, and I hate when so-called 'beginner' areas are empty.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by austriacus

uhm i havent seen the manifesto in a year or so but im pretty sure that they say that when a village is atacked by centaurs and conquered it stays CONQUERED until someone saves them.  The idea is that wherever you are there or not, events happen and some of them need the interaction of humans to go on in the next chain of events. There is no phasing in the world of GW2.

You should check out some videos of the game, there clearly is not a single trace of phasing.

Exact words from the manifesto video “ in guild wars 2 it’s your story, it’s your world, you affect things around you in a very permanent way.  Cause and effect, a single decision made by a player cascades out in a chain of events.  Your meeting new people whom you will see again, your recuing a village that will then stay rescued who then remember you”.  Now please explain to me how that is possible without phasing? 

If you want to see these exact words, they are 2:18 into the video till 2:36. 

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Exact words from the manifesto video “ in guild wars 2 it’s your story, it’s your world, you affect things around you in a very permanent way.  Cause and effect, a single decision made by a player cascades out in a chain of events.  Your meeting new people whom you will see again, your recuing a village that will then stay rescued who then remember you”.  Now please explain to me how that is possible without phasing? 

Ah yes, it stays rescued.....until they are atacked again. I agree the wording is weird but if you are basing your whole idea on a manifesto then its the same as people who get exited over CG trailers.

Go look at the videos online, look at how the game is. There is no phasing and the way the world works is that the villagers DO remember you and the village stays saved for SOME time, not forever. In fact if you fail to save them the next time the foes ocupy the area and a new DE event appears where you gota recapture the village.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

My biggest worry was the impending doom known as the "Cash Shop"... my biggest worry has been confirmed, the game is now P2W.

Ah yes, it stays rescued.....until they are atacked again. I agree the wording is weird but if you are basing your whole idea on a manifesto then its the same as people who get exited over CG trailers.

Go look at the videos online, look at how the game is. There is no phasing and the way the world works is that the villagers DO remember you and the village stays saved for SOME time, not forever. In fact if you fail to save them the next time the foes ocupy the area and a new DE event appears where you gota recapture the village.

ok, so what i have found is that although, your actions don't affect things in the gameworld "in a very permanent way"  (basically its just until the next dynamic event)  they are truthful in that wording since it seems that when you save a village, the people from that village will move into your home instance permanently.  your home instance will change each time you make a choice in game.  I am completely fine with this.

I really am just responding because I didn't want to come off sounding like a troll or that I wasn't excited about the game.  I will definitely be getting the game shortly after it releases.  I would probably pre purchase it but after being burned by swtor, i cant bring myself to preorder/pre purchase any game right now.