Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So wait a minute... people are really fussing about Pandarean when...

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

The game already has Cow Men, Goat men, wolf men, snake men, Cat men, horse men, dragon men, bird men, fish men, Bull men, goblins and gnomes... but adding Panda Men would be too far out of the norm and childish huh?

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

You think the QQ about pandas is bad? In TBC people were QQ like there was no tomorrow about bloodelfs and space goats. Then people eventually got tired and stopped caring. 2 months into MoP and people will find a new reason to hate on the game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

It's just too Disney for me.  It's the same reason that popori have turned me off of Tera.  I see them and think of stuffed animals and children's tea parties.  Just doesn't do it for me.  All power to you though if you dig it.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I just can't see me as a "kung fu Panda".

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

The thing is that most of the furry races have a source in folklore and stuff like that: minotaurs, werewolves, demons, zombies, medusa, a bunch of egyptian god figures, and so on.

Its a given that theres exceptions: I think there's walrus people in there somewhere for instance..? But its the first time that something ridiculous like that becomes a PLAYABLE race, and the main focus of an expansion. image

Hey, if they started flirting with the australians after they're done with the chinese flirt, and added a playable kangaroo race as focus for their next expansion, then I'd say thats pretty damn silly as well. image

(meant no offence to any chinese or australian people out there image)

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Originally posted by Remains

The thing is that most of the furry races have a source in folklore and stuff like that: minotaurs, werewolves, demons, zombies, medusa, a bunch of egyptian god figures, and so on.

Its a given that theres exceptions: I think there's walrus people in there somewhere for instance..? But its the first time that something ridiculous like that becomes a PLAYABLE race, and the main focus of an expansion. image

Hey, if they started flirting with the australians after they're done with the chinese flirt, and added a playable kangaroo race as focus for their next expansion, then I'd say thats pretty damn silly as well. image

Nailed it!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Nailed it!

Apparently eastern folklore and "stuff like that" is just too foreign for western minds.

Unless it's Final Fantasy, that is.

Apparently Moogles are fine...

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Didnt chen stormsnout play a huge role in warcraft 3?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

It would have been different had it released around BC.  It was the timing that has everyone screaming KungFu Panda.

I'm not saying they weren't part of WC3 but you have to wonder if this isn't just pandering (get it... LOL).

Originally posted by Ikeda

It would have been different had it released around BC.  It was the timing that has everyone screaming KungFu Panda.

I'm not saying they weren't part of WC3 but you have to wonder if this isn't just pandering (get it... LOL).

Sure its Pandering thats what all mmorpg companies do, I thought Worgen was more pandering, I think Pandas are a nice addition.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I have been avoiding the far east aspect of the expansion and concentrating on the siege of Orgrimmar. The problem is asian themed MMO's produce a thick veil of red hate over me which defies rational thought. NOt just forum hate, but real, vein throbbing HATE, man.  MoP is becoming rapidly less attractive by the second. :(((((((

P.S. I like the people of the far east just hate the theme. Just sayin'

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by nomatics856

The pandaren was initially an aprils fool joke, twice even:

1. Pandaren race in Warcraft 3: http://classic.battle.net/war3/pandaren/

http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaren_(April_Fools)

2. In-game Pandarenexpress® food delivery in WoW.

Apparantly people found the panda-joke to be funny enough to want a panda in Warcraft 3. So they put him in as a mercenary hero. image

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well for one... anything you can come up with... will have someone fussing about it online.

They could come up with a cure for cancer.. and someone would find something wrong with it.   Then start a wall of text compaign on every forum they weren't already banned from.

Beyond that...

I'm sure some people don't like the panda race.  So what?   Its their right to not like it...  its their opinion.

Unless they say "I don't like Panda's.. if they remove this race then the expansion will be a success."

I saw a post worded something like that today.

While I'm sure that person doesn't like the race option.   I am not so sure what they like or don't like has anything to do with the success of the expansion.

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

Just posting so people that doesnt know this has a chance to understand where all this panda thing is comming from.

The lead artist at Blizzard Samwise Didier has been painting these pandas for as long as i can remember and im pretty sure they are supposed to be some sort of alterego for him or something.. 

The fact that blizzard chose to base a new race and expansion on his creations can be seen as a tribute to him more than a "Kung Fu Panda" spinoff..

The pandaren was initially an aprils fool joke, twice even:

1. Pandaren race in Warcraft 3: http://classic.battle.net/war3/pandaren/

http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaren_(April_Fools)

2. In-game Pandarenexpress® food delivery in WoW.

Apparantly people found the panda-joke to be funny enough to want a panda in Warcraft 3. So they put him in as a mercenary hero. image

http://www.wowwiki.com/Chen_Stormstout He was a little more than just a merc hero, pandas did start off as a joke but they came apart of WoW lore, lore changes, lore evolves, it doesnt have to stay static. Such as there were no Tauren in Warcraft 2 yet they appeared in Warcraft 3, this is because lore changes and evolves.

Chen and company went on a secret mission to Theramore Island to help the horde find out why the humans were attacking them. They met with Jaina Proudmoore, who decided to help them out, after seeing what her father had done.[2] Chen helped Rexxar to defend Thrall and Durotar from Kul Tiras incursions. When the Horde was prepared they launched an attack that ended with the death of Grand Admiral Proudmoore.[3]

Id say thats a big role for a race with no lore.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

People will take every chance they can to bash WoW, I am 99% sure the people over at the SWTOR forums are breathing a sigh of relief, since all the haters will now foucs here instead of there. 

They are very much a part of the lore in WoW but most people are clueless and just see a chance to tear into them, I think this XPac might work wonders for the game if and I said if they nail it on the head just right.

I mean we do have some pretty off the wall speicies in games coming out that no one is saying diddly about or the fact there is no Open world PvP either but they are sure heading here quickly and bashing MoP.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

DAOC had playable minotaurs, greek mythology?... pandarens all together with MoP expansion are asian so i dont see why asian content is bad while greek and others are fine.... specially in WoW where most races are animal humanoids. 

I think a full asian theme is a fresh air from all the western, nordic, egyptian stuff that WoW has. Its gonna be nice. 

ALso it bothers me how some people say that WoWs graphics are childish, well its been like that since launch in 2004 and look where its standing right now. Graphics wont change but they polish them more and more with each expansion

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Panda Khan of TMNT ... the original kung fu panda.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

No, people are fussing because MoP is looking like the biggest joke of an xpac anyone has ever seen.

There is absolutely nothing being included that will bring anyone back to the game. Expect more sub losses and an EU/US player base less than 1.5 million by this time next year.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by rojo6934

ALso it bothers me how some people say that WoWs graphics are childish

thats what i was thinking too. because they are adding pandas they are NOW childish? as if they are going from Age of Conan to Hello Kitty Online in this expansion.

this game from the beginning has been childish in terms of graphics.

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

The game already has Cow Men, Goat men, wolf men, snake men, Cat men, horse men, dragon men, bird men, fish men, Bull men, goblins and gnomes... but adding Panda Men would be too far out of the norm and childish huh?

I don't see how it out of the norm and childish, this is WoW you're talking about, so I agree with the underpoint of your sarcasm.  But, every time I see one of those pudgy B&W teddy bears, I only think of Jack Black and the stupid console game my 5 year old beat into the dust.  That being said, WoW's problem is not the game, it's the age of the entire game and MMO genre, not some stupid bears who eat bamboo with chopsticks.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by fivoroth

You think the QQ about pandas is bad? In TBC people were QQ like there was no tomorrow about bloodelfs and space goats. Then people eventually got tired and stopped caring. 2 months into MoP and people will find a new reason to hate on the game.

during classic - neutral.

during TBC - "TBC SUCKS! BLOODS ELVES ARE FOR FAGZ LAWLZ CLASSIC WAS SO MUCH WIN U FAILZOR BLIZZ"

during wrath "OMFG WRATH SUCKS DEATH KNIGHTS ARE FOR FAGZ LAWLZ TBC WAS SO MUCH WIN U FAILZOR BLIZZ"

during cata "OMFG WORGENS ARE FOR FURFAGZ LAWLZ WRATH WAS SO MUCH WIN U FAILZOR BLIZZ"

you see where I'm going with this..

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by azrael466

during TBC - "TBC SUCKS! BLOODS ELVES ARE FOR FAGZ LAWLZ CLASSIC WAS SO MUCH WIN U FAILZOR BLIZZ"

during wrath "OMFG WRATH SUCKS DEATH KNIGHTS ARE FOR FAGZ LAWLZ TBC WAS SO MUCH WIN U FAILZOR BLIZZ"

during cata "OMFG WORGENS ARE FOR FURFAGZ LAWLZ WRATH WAS SO MUCH WIN U FAILZOR BLIZZ"

Yup, Classic was the best and the game just keeps getting worse.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

A lot of people just don't like the eastern theme and focus.  That's all.  Get over it.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by azrael466

Yup, Classic was the best and the game just keeps getting worse.

TBC was the best thus far, but hey thats just my opinion

TBC is the ESB of WOW.  IYGM.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BassmanJBassmanJ Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

No, people are fussing because MoP is looking like the biggest joke of an xpac anyone has ever seen.
    There is absolutely nothing being included that will bring anyone back to the game. Expect more sub losses and an EU/US player base less than 1.5 million by this time next year.

Pokewow, it will bring people back.