Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name one thing you DONT miss from the "original" MMO's...

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Camping world spawns.

Seriously, fuck getting called at 4am because something spawned.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Dial-up.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• regentwillregentwill Member Posts: 14

Hell levels on EQ1.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

I don't miss the subscriptions.
    That's about it.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

Nothing.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

corpse runs, camping spawns, bad quests, bad graphics, 2d graphics, no story, race to the endgame, etc, etc want me to go on?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont miss the dated graphics and clunky mechanics... :p

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Bad graphics.

Aside of that most of things were superior to current design.  Compaing to early UO here.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

24 hour sessions playing with my friends - oh wait that's cause no new game holds me that long not cause I miss it.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

" Sand Gaints "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • hazyhazy Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by Tardcore

Dial-up.

This +1000000

But also people looking at me like a mad man for paying monthly to play a game.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Lag-death.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

corpse runs and XP loss.  Yeah, the graphics are better now but I wasn't thinking to myself in 1999 "these graphics should be so much better". I was thinking "these corpse retrievals are stupid".

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

"Rubber Banding" or Lag Warping

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

An engaging community that you felt a part of and where you knew almost everyone and that made you want to log all the time.

I don't miss it because I know that I don't have time for that anymore with work and other responsibilities (well okay maybe i secretly miss it)

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Yelling LFG or Spawn Check

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Roaming packs of slavering PK'rs from UO.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Simple.  The controls and UI.  SWG and then WoW refined how you move about in the world and if it's not the same as those 2 games, WoW being the more defining one, than your game sucks.  Hence why I can't play old games like DaoC or Ultima or AC, the controls are a gamebreaker.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

/agreed

Anyone remember the player made movie about SWG where the guy filmed himself running and then replayed it 4 times in a row to emphasize the rubber banding?  I laughed so hard at that I almost fell out of my chair.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• surielsuriel Member Posts: 2

EQ1: Looking to get bound in a city.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

So is Wow considered  an original MMO now? cause it had plenty of that at release (especially on mob corpses and getting stuck looting them)

If Wow is considered an "original" MMO then I feel alot older now :(

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

buff bots

Originally posted by ShakyMo

buff bots

LOL, OMG, AO,

get a 2nd account level a crap ton of alts just so you can buff your main. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Spawn Checks, Content Blockable by Guilds or Gold Farmers, Meditation:  Mana classes being no more poweful than melees yet subject to more downtime and more mechanics that make it much harder to use abilities.  Hybrid Classes that were virtually pointless and useless in groups.  Inability to get skill points to an appropriate level (a particular issue for mana classes)  through regular game play and the need to spend hours grinding skillups on low level mobs or by standing in a corner and casting over and over.  Constantly being stunned every 5 seconds by every type of mob in game (EQ) and it's still standard for the game today.  Making crafting and even multiple crafts a necessary skill in most adventuring quests.  Rewards and drops that were far below the level you acquired them, except for precious radiers of course.  Horrible mapping systems and such generic directions if any at all that most quests weren't even worth the hassle even after you factored in the rewards (required searching the internet for clues and or answers).

These are just a few of the things I don't miss from the old games and I could name a lot more.  I'm an old schooler who has actually liked many of the modern trends in MMOs.  Not all of them mind you, but most of them.

Originally posted by OberanMiM

So is Wow considered  an original MMO now? cause it had plenty of that at release (especially on mob corpses and getting stuck looting them)

If Wow is considered an "original" MMO then I feel alot older now :(

Well.

Most people, consider WoW to be the pivot point from the old to new. So, yeah, I'd consider early Vanilla to be old school.

And even at it's absolute worst, WoW was nowhere near as bad with this as SWG was.