Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real Diablo 3?

stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

Wow, this game looks awesome.  It looks like what Diablo 3 would of looked like had they never made World of Warcraft.

I signed up for the beta, hope I can get in some how. 

Isometric camera view + modern graphics = win

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's fun and better than D3 IMO but needs work. If they can make end-game more interesting like adding an endless dungeon then it will be very good. It's going to be free though, I'll be playing it over the steaming pile that is currently D3.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

The skill system is so much better then Diablo, just amazing

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Skill system looks amazing.  I have been reading up on it for a while and spending an hour or so a day at the forums hoping to snag a beta key.  Tough going.  Oh well I guess they will go to open beta by may 15th.  Will just have to play D3 and this whenever it does. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I was a little disconcerted that I wouldn't get to play D3 finally, after all these years.  Looks like I'll be able to play something much better.  Thanks for the head's up on this.  I'm sure I would have heard about soon enough with how impressive it looks, but knowing earlier will let me glide through the whole D3 release thing with a smirk instead of a scowl.

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

With you Unlight I am very much agreed. We are a small crowd (these few outspoken here) not getting a drug enduced euphoria from Blizzard nipple suckage.

D3 is a bastard child of marketing abuse slipped into the seventh level of hell and stretched across the wrack of the Butcher's back. 

Normally I am very tame about my opinions of certain games especially before release, but I've had a hate on for D3 from even their first concept shots. Yeah I might change my tune when seeing the finished product, but I wouldn't hold my breath. =I

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I have to say, I've recently been accepted into the beta and I'm not impressed with the game at all.

It's... fine.

But..

The passive skill system is extremely indepth and is more akin to something out of final fantasy XII than anything. This skill system has its problem though. Mainly, you could literaly sit there for hours trying to figure out the route to take with it.. I don't mean over the course of your character, I mean the first skill point you get could take you ages to decide where to put it.

The view in the game just seems too close and the lack of gold or currency, while unique, is not practical in any way. It feels like it could be a real problem which pushes you towards the cash shop for the things you need, possibly.

All in all, I'm not really impressed. It just feels old fashioned.

EDIT: I jumped the gun a bit on this one. While I still think it has lots of problems, for a free game it is better than most single player diablo clones. I think D3 is better though.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Vannor

I have to say, I've recently been accepted into the beta and I'm not impressed with the game at all.

It's... fine.

But..

The passive skill system is extremely indepth and is more akin to something out of final fantasy XII than anything. This skill system has its problem though. Mainly, you could literaly sit there for hours trying to figure out the route to take with it.. I don't mean over the course of your character, I mean the first skill point you get could take you ages to decide where to put it.

The view in the game just seems too close and the lack of gold or currency, while unique, is not practical in any way. It feels like it could be a real problem which pushes you towards the cash shop for the things you need, possibly.

Exactly what I'm looking for, old fashioned. sweet :) and If you wont use your beta key ... you know ;)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by mazut

Originally posted by Vannor

It's... fine.

But..

Exactly what I'm looking for, old fashioned. sweet :) and If you wont use your beta key ... you know ;)

check your pm, ill swap the account over to you if you'll get more use out of it :)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by Jumdor

With you Unlight I am very much agreed. We are a small crowd (these few outspoken here) not getting a drug enduced euphoria from Blizzard nipple suckage.

D3 is a bastard child of marketing abuse slipped into the seventh level of hell and stretched across the wrack of the Butcher's back. 

Normally I am very tame about my opinions of certain games especially before release, but I've had a hate on for D3 from even their first concept shots. Yeah I might change my tune when seeing the finished product, but I wouldn't hold my breath. =I

wow...really? Have you tried the D3 beta? It's fun as hell! People need to grow up.

Not really a comparison anyways, D3 is not an MMO but I do look forward to trying PoE.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Im in both Betas and Path of Exile by far over Diablo 3.   The game feels like what fans want diablo 3 to be but blizzard is to stupid.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by William12

Im in both Betas and Path of Exile by far over Diablo 3.   The game feels like what fans want diablo 3 to be but blizzard is to stupid.

Your eloquent critique of D3 has made me change my mind ...

I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't in either beta.

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

I'm in both and yes PoE is much better.

You can check yourself, it's open beta right now for this weekend.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

My brother caught sight of this game and told me about it. It is now on the list of games I want to play, but not instead of D3 despite peoples' harsh critiques here.

The ARPG I am really hyped up about and following steadily since it was announced is TL2. It is also something I can play offline which I just love. I adored TL1, so really, really looking forward to this.

However, this game looks very good too. I wish I had time to beta it. I am glad there is a forum now on mmorpg so that I can content myself with quick peeks about what other people say about it  instead, second best to beta'ing it myself.

Game on!

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by MurlockDance

My brother caught sight of this game and told me about it. It is now on the list of games I want to play, but not instead of D3 despite peoples' harsh critiques here.

The ARPG I am really hyped up about and following steadily since it was announced is TL2. It is also something I can play offline which I just love. I adored TL1, so really, really looking forward to this.

However, this game looks very good too. I wish I had time to beta it. I am glad there is a forum now on mmorpg so that I can content myself with quick peeks about what other people say about it  instead, second best to beta'ing it myself.

Game on!

If you like clicky hack n slash diablo type games, this is the way to go. Been playing beta over the weekend and have enjoyed every minute of it. To give you a sample of the game play footage, here is a video I created of The Prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKXL1UjrfUw

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Originally posted by PittyH

Well I'm in both and I say you have no clue what your talking about. :P Diablo 3 is better in every way that is important to me. (graphics, game-play, animations, immersion, etc)  POE felt like a indy game and I admit plays well for one. To each his own I will be playing Diablo myself.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

PoE is more Diablo than D3 is. A shame really.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by PittyH

You've got to be kidding me, i went and checked it out and all i got out of it was some nausea and a headache.

First off they pretty much ripped off the AoC intro. The lighting effects almost made my head explode and my stomach churn. The graphics were mediocre, something you'd see from an 03-05 game. Apparently stats only affect the gear you can use? Maybe i misunderstood that.

Whatever they were thinking with the skill tree is beyond me, it needs cleaned up Badly. Looks like a child failed repeatedly with cats cradle, that or i'm playing a messed up game of chinese checkers.

Either way comparing it to D3 is ridiculous. For a free game it isn't bad if they can do something about that lighting, but right now its at best a 2nd cousin to D2.

D3 is by far superior in every way.

Funny how none of your complaints were about gameplay - every moan was about superficial graphics stuff that real gamers don't knit pick about.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

There are people who will like D3 and there are people who will like PoE - why we gotta keep flinging mud at each other?

Out of the two D3 is my choice, I have not cared to even try PoE as the graphic style turns me off, I need no other reason.

But I will throw in an opinon, from the vids I have seen PoE seems rather slow paced where as D3 is much more.. um arcadie? faster pace.. and I prefer that. More Pew Pew less Zzz Zzz

• Mentos0Mentos0 Member Posts: 7

i dont know whats wrong with the skill tree in my oppinion this is one of the best features of the game what happened to people enjoying customization would you rather your character just be hard coded and you get this at each level like wow or would you like to make your character yours i dont see how this skill tree is a bad thing reminds me of FFX which was one of the greatest RPG's made

• StekkyStekky Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Mentos0

i dont know whats wrong with the skill tree in my oppinion this is one of the best features of the game what happened to people enjoying customization would you rather your character just be hard coded and you get this at each level like wow or would you like to make your character yours i dont see how this skill tree is a bad thing reminds me of FFX which was one of the greatest RPG's made

I'm all for a customization option, however clean it up. Its a mess in its current state and quite honestly, i don't really wanna scroll thru the galaxy to find my home planet. I have SOASE for that. Unique is great when it isn't an eyesore.

Again,  here I am thinking that giving users choices without dumbing things down and not insulting every gamers intelligence like you appear to do is a good thing.     Please don't insist that  the 7-13 year demographic must be the focus like EVERY Activision/Blizzard game as of late.     I for one LOVE the complexity and the options this skill tree presents.  Thanks.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

PoE really does have a Diablo feel to it.......Unfortunately I was never a huge fan of the series so it doesn't do all that much for me.....If you liked D2 and want more of the same, then yes PoE is probably the best choice.

My mistake then.     Sorry!

I assumed you were hoping to have more obvious "directional" path in in skill development.        

• tomfabiotomfabio Member UncommonPosts: 25

I am really looking forward to this game! I have yet to be invited into the beta though =( If anyone has a spare beta key, I'd be happy to take it off your hands =P

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

First impression of the site and development...

Classes are same ol'.

Mood seems dark and interesting.

Passive skill tree looks amazing.

Originally posted by tomfabio

I am really looking forward to this game! I have yet to be invited into the beta though =( If anyone has a spare beta key, I'd be happy to take it off your hands =P

You recently missed the stress test open weekend (free). 

They are offering beta entry for those who buy 100 (PoE store) points right now $10.         While I am already in,  it seems like a decent price if you end up enjoying it.   Keep in mind everything will be wiped at release.   If not,   you have a month or so to decide until D3.