Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait...no Roleplay tagged servers? :'(

GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

Man that's sad. I love RP servers, not because I'm much of a hardcore RPer myself (though I love lore and immersing myself in the game), but because of the casual attitude there. There's always that little something extra...I love seeing a player-driven "city guard" roleplaying in the town square, stuff like that.

I'm sure there are going to be "unofficial" RP servers, decided by some dedicated RP site or group, but I've only ever seen that work in City of Heroes (which tends to draw in a lot of RPers in general). Most other games it's just not the same :(

Comments

• OrsonDiturnoOrsonDiturno Member Posts: 35

I have been wondering that as well. I like how Virtue even has thier own radio station.

http://www.thecaperadio.com/

I just wish some of the DJ's played better music.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by GrumpyJester

Man that's sad. I love RP servers, not because I'm much of a hardcore RPer myself (though I love lore and immersing myself in the game), but because of the casual attitude there. There's always that little something extra...I love seeing a player-driven "city guard" roleplaying in the town square, stuff like that.

I'm sure there are going to be "unofficial" RP servers, decided by some dedicated RP site or group, but I've only ever seen that work in City of Heroes (which tends to draw in a lot of RPers in general). Most other games it's just not the same :(

Agreed.  I don't roleplay on these servers much myself, but I do enjoy watching others getting into the game like that.  Folks are generally much friendlier and easier to get along with on RP servers.  Far less obsessed with winning as having a great time trying.  A shame.

It would pretty easy to implement these too.  You just need to label the server "RP" and it will be.  You might need to give it a bit more mod attention if you want control the trolls, but I've never found them to be as troublesome as some might expect.  Once everyone has them on their ignore list, they don't really exist any longer.  In a game like this, being publicly shunned will have a pretty big impact.

Perhaps they'll reconsider.  I expect there will be a pretty huge RP community playing the game.  I can see servers dedicated to them being quite active.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I also usually prefer the community found on an RP server, and hope they will implement servers tagged specifically for it when this game launches.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Complain enough and start a thread with a petition when the official forums are released. 

The people on TERAs forums did that for an RP server and En Masse decided to add at least one before launch and will probably add another because they want an RP-PvP server now lol, if the devs/company cares they will listen.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, it is too bad but RP servers havn't really worked for many years anyways.

I don't think I been on a server with more than 10% RPers in any game the last 10 years.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Considering we have very little information on server structure besides accounts being linked to one WvW server, I'd say these concerns are a bit premature.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Loke666

I don't think I been on a server with more than 10% RPers in any game the last 10 years.

Why would you say that's not working?  Isn't 10% a lot better than none?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    There should always be at least 1 RP server on every game on release, it's hardly like its a massive expense to have as Mods never seem to enforce the RP aspect. What harm can it do and generally the communities are better and more mature in attitude.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Landroval server in Lotro is probably 60% RP

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I expect that we will continue to see a deluge of posts that say something to the effect of "What? GW2 doesn't have [insert common MMO aspect that's different in GW2]?"

This game has hot-joinable servers - switching servers is going to be a common occurance.  It's not like most other games do it.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Arawulf

I expect that we will continue to see a deluge of posts that say something to the effect of "What? GW2 doesn't have [insert common MMO aspect that's different in GW2]?"
    This game has hot-joinable servers - switching servers is going to be a common occurance.  It's not like most other games do it.

And that doesn't address the topic of whether one of those servers should be labelled as RP
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Would they have to exclude RP servers from WvW if they decided to add them?  Perhaps that has something to do with it.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

If they don't have RP tagged servers it's probably because it'll be much harder to enforce them.

In other MMOs you create your character in a server and that's where it stays, the name (for example) is set right there. If you want to change the name or transfer in or out of a RP server, you have to pay a fee. In GW2 you can visit other servers at anytime, so no real point of tagging a server as RP when people can go in and out of all servers at anytime.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

True.  Not to mention that at least one server will become the unofficial RP server once word gets out.  But that takes time to develop on its own and money to switch for anyone that wants to WvW for their home server.  Server pride would be even more important on an RP server so "visiting" it won't be enough for many.  ArenaNet could give all those people interested in an RP community a headstart by simpy designating a server or two as RP, right at the beginning.  That way, we won't need to transfer later and we can start building up our community ties from the moment we log in for the first time.

Yes, that means that a bunch of server transfer fees would be lost, but I think that would be more than made up for in community goodwill.  ArenaNet talks a great deal about building community.  Here's another excellent way they can show us that.

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

We shouldn't be making this an all-or-nothing deal, because then we end up with nothing. So what if it's not 90% RPers? So what if names aren't regulated? So what if nothing's regulated at all?

It would still allow likeminded people to know what server they should roll on, so they're more likely to create a server climate that they enjoy. All that's required is a label. No extra expenses, no extra effort.

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

It wouldn't hurt to have official RP servers, since it would increase the chance of likeminded players "finding" each other right from the start, even without moderation. 

Maybe the problem is that players would probably expect RP-oriented moderation, and another problem is how this would cross over to WvW.

On the other side, for players who engage in both PvE and WvW, belonging to to a RP server will probably only strenghten the feeling of server identity. 

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Originally posted by RefMinor

And that doesn't address the topic of whether one of those servers should be labelled as RP

RP servers aren't innovative enough for GW2, I'm sure is the argument.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Seeing as servers meant absolutly nothing unless your fighting in WvWvW, I doubt they will officially put one in.  Your character is on every server for PvE, so I am guessing because you are just choosing a homeworld server for WvWvW only, they do not see a need to implement specific servers and let the community figure out which ones will be which to switch servers at will.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Well, I hope they could put in a rp server, I don't see the big problem in WvW as roleplayers also pvp, we just uselly live in the role of an army, but it would really be nice if they made 1 rp server, so you weren't needing to go around on diffrent servers to find atleast 1 person who also roleplayed, but just logged in and knew you could start roleplaying right away.

(I hope this made as much sense to you as it does to me :3)

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

they pretty much implied they wont do it in the past because the amount of work require to run it is not worth it.because its pretty much all or nothing when it comes to Rp servers, you must be willing to enforce and if you are not, don't bother doing it.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Everybody can visit every server at any time. Outside of WvW the whole idea of a 'server' is pretty blurry.

Therefore, RP servers are nigh on impossible to properly maintain.

What are they going to do? block every player who hops over to the server (for whatever reason) who dares mentions the real world in chat? :) I can't see it working for the same reason Guild wars 1 never had an 'RP' server, since it's server structure was nothing like standard MMO's.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

We shouldn't be making this an all-or-nothing deal, because then we end up with nothing. So what if it's not 90% RPers? So what if names aren't regulated? So what if nothing's regulated at all?

It would still allow likeminded people to know what server they should roll on, so they're more likely to create a server climate that they enjoy. All that's required is a label. No extra expenses, no extra effort.

really i think the 10 percent is probably being overly generous, in all the other games i've played, which are quite a few, RP servers just didnt have all that many RP'ers in it, doing away with RP servers after all, won't stop the few who actually RP from doing so on regular servers, and that doesnt have additional expenses or effort involved either image

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

How is it gonna work in Guild Wars 2 really, since there is WvWvW, do you only fight against other RP servers, and if there is only 1 RP server, you don't fight against anyone else?

Since every player can jump to other servers, but fights for their own home server, how can you control them? LOCK the server from others?

They don't even have an PVP, PVE server, all server is the same. Just role play within your guilds and turn off General Chat so you can only hear Say within visual distances. And have an guild with RP labeled so people knows to not send you tells and expect an reply.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I love the idea of an RP server, much more than a PvP server, BUT...

Those players can sometimes be just as bad as the giefers, and I think the community is just as small as the griefer crowd. I could be wrong, thats just what Ive noticed over the years.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Thorbrand

[Mod Edit]

I had thought I heard everything but now there is this.

Please explain to me how GW2 is not an MMO?  I can understand GW1 but not GW2.