Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare Admits Fans "Needed More Closure, More Answers" from Mass Effect 3 Ending

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

As more and more gamers complete Mass Effect 3, the amount of internet rage directed against the RPG's controversial ending is quickly reaching boiling point. In an attempt to sooth this increasingly rabid fan anger, executive producer Casey Hudson has written a lengthy post on the official BioWare forums. While he doesn't go so far as to promise the studio will change the ending, he does hint that BioWare is developing new DLC and that players' "insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be." Hmm... interesting.

The full, spoiler-free post can be viewed here, but this is the part that grabbed my attention:

"We've had some incredibly positive reactions to Mass Effect 3... But we also recognize that some of our most passionate fans needed more closure, more answers, and more time to say goodbye to their stories — and these comments are equally valid. Player feedback such as this has always been an essential ingredient in the development of the series.

I am extremely proud of what this team has accomplished, from the first art concepts for the Mass Effect universe to the final moments of Mass Effect 3. But we didn't do it on our own. Over the course of the series, Mass Effect has been a shared experience between the development team and our fans — not just a shared experience in playing the games, but in designing and developing them. An outpouring of love for Garrus and Tali led to their inclusion as love interests in Mass Effect 2. A request for deeper RPG systems led to key design changes in Mass Effect 3. our feedback has always mattered. Mass Effect is a collaboration between developers and players, and we continue to listen.

So where do we go from here? Throughout the next year, we will support Mass Effect 3 by working on new content. And we'll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be. This is not the last you'll hear of Commander Shepard."

So... what does that all mean? We can only speculate, but it seems BioWare might just be open to altering the ending with DLC after all. All we can do is wait and see, but it does sound like a promising indication.

Thanks, Kotaku.

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Lets hope. How such an amazing series could be ended in such a way is completely beyond me. ME3 was a great game, as long as you ignore the last 10 minutes. 

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Oh come on like this wasnt planned from the get go.

What can single handidly guarantee DLC sales -  An alternate ending

What can guarantee purchase of said DLC -  A ambigious original ending

Originally posted by thamighty213

Oh come on like this wasnt planned from the get go.

What can single handidly guarantee DLC sales -  An alternate ending

What can guarantee purchase of said DLC -  A ambigious original ending

The backlash of this would be so amazing to watch. I can't wait to see them answer questions about the ending at the PAX East panel. 

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Free DLC for a retcon ME3 ending or fuck off.

If this is going to be paid DLC the backlash will be heard from here to the Citadel.

The sad part is that there will be people who will still buy it if its paid DLC, letting themselves be exploited and shoving sweet $$$ down Biowares face -for screwing them over in the first place-

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the best interests of the game, it would be nice if any 'alternative ending' type DLC would be offered to customers for free. But, even if it's not, I'll buy it because I am THAT dissatisfied with the lack of closure and the lack of even a minute chance of a happy ending for Shepard. A 10-20 purchase price would be OK with me for the gigantic number of hours and replays that the series has brought to me over the years.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

In the best interests of the game, it would be nice if any 'alternative ending' type DLC would be offered to customers for free. But, even if it's not, I'll buy it because I am THAT dissatisfied with the lack of closure and the lack of even a minute chance of a happy ending for Shepard. A 10-20 purchase price would be OK with me for the gigantic number of hours and replays that the series has brought to me over the years.

I seriously hate to admit it, but I would do the same. Originally I told myself that if they did do this, I would just Youtube it, but then the thought of having the save on my 360 without the real closure ending for my Shepard....yea Ill buy it, Ill complain to no end but Ill still buy it. 

Thank you for proving my point and continuing to make this industry a worse place Suzie.

At some point its time for us gamers to admit to ourselves that we will buy anything to get our fix, even if the cocaine is cut with flour and costs twice as much as last week.

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

I've seen alot of posts lately being against an alternate ending DLC, and i just cant understand why? If you enjoyed the ending, great. But please note there are tens of thousands of people out there whom are actively against the ending. If Bioware decided to release an OPTIONAL set of endings that reflected what those people wanted, how would improving the experience for this crowd affect your satisfaction with the current ending? If its optional, you can completely ignore it and be happy and the people who wanted more closure get what they want and be happy. I'm sorry if this came off as a rant but i honestly don't understand this.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by AdamTM

Thank you for proving my point and continuing to make this industry a worse place Suzie.

At some point its time for us gamers to admit to ourselves that we will buy anything to get our fix, even if the cocaine is cut with flour and costs twice as much as last week.

In your opinion it's bad but not everyone necessarily feels that way. That's the beauty of differing opinions.

We all have ways that we want to spend our money. For those who don't give a rip about the 'tragic' ending or who are satisfied with the way it all played out, there's no reason to buy the alternate ending DLC. According to a vast majority of gaming websites, we who are unhappy are disaffected whiners anyway and a sizeable minority so Bioware won't make much anyway, right? ;)

Call me wrong all you wish. Doesn't make me believe it. I want my Shepard to have a chance at the happy life that she's lived through impossible odds for 7 years or so to attain for the universe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

In your opinion it's bad but not everyone necessarily feels that way. That's the beauty of differing opinions.

We all have ways that we want to spend our money. For those who don't give a rip about the 'tragic' ending or who are satisfied with the way it all played out, there's no reason to buy the alternate ending DLC. According to a vast majority of gaming websites, we who are unhappy are disaffected whiners anyway and a sizeable minority so Bioware won't make much anyway, right? ;)

Call me wrong all you wish. Doesn't make me believe it. I want my Shepard to have a chance at the happy life that she's lived through impossible odds for 7 years or so to attain for the universe.

This.

Whos to say that people who enjoy the current ending will hate any new ending that is concieved? Who knows, they might like it better. While i understand that not everyone who wants alternate endings wants a happy ending, I don't see why it should be impossible. ME2, the Suicide Mission was painted as something that shepard wasn't expected to walk away from, but Adequately prepared, not only could you succeed but do so with no casulties. Why shouldn't it be possible to have an ending where the Mass Effect Universe isn't for intents and purposes destroyed, shepard and crew living, and the reapers dealt with if you did everything possible to prepare for the final confrontation. Of course don't force the happy ending on everyone, because its obvious that not everyone wants it but atleast offer the choice.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

word on the streets is, quality of the new ending will be dependent from the cash you pay.

bad ending: 5.99 - mediocre ending: 10.99 - good ending: 20.99 - happy end: 50.99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

SO they answer all the rage, complain about the crap ending with in most cases break what sheppard did during the whole 3 games in a, "ok guys just wait we will finish a new ending with more options and sell it back to you guys", and I bet half the "gamers" here will forgivve it because "huuuuuuuuuhhhhhh new ending and I have money"

I sure hell hope the 21/12/12 will end the world I really do, every single day I feel even more sick with the number of stupid people we have on this world, just wipe this, please?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ea money man rubbing his hands together with a massive grin on his face reading some of these posts.
  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Sadly, I'd do exactly the same thing. I've put 180 hours into Mass Effect 2 alone, not counting the many I poured into ME1, so to have a satisfying ending to the trilogy will easily take the money out of my wallet. The biggest thing about the current ending is that it makes the whole series unplayable for me. If the many hours I've poured into this series mean nothing at the end, and all it comes down to is what colour explosion I want, then I'd happily pay a little more to make those games playable again.

I don't like it, it's downright insulting to me if they charge me for the alternate ending, but for such a great series of games I'd rather pay the extra than kill the series off completely - as the current ending has done for me.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

im probably one of the 10 people who enjoyed the endings. while i was more attached to my games and characters in ME2, ME3 was overall a lot more fun. ive already put in at least 100 hours into the game, and im not bored yet.

couldnt care less about DLC endings. i think people are crying a little too hard about all this. but any new ME3 content is welcome.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by sonoggi

im probably one of the 10 people who enjoyed the endings. while i was more attached to my games and characters in ME2, ME3 was overall a lot more fun. ive already put in at least 100 hours into the game, and im not bored yet.

couldnt care less about DLC endings. i think people are crying a little too hard about all this. but any new ME3 content is welcome.

I'm curious as to why you enjoyed the endings? How, after playing from ME1 to the ending of ME3, can you say that the endings gave a deserved conclusion to the series? I admit, ME3 was a lot of fun and had some great moments, I thoroughly enjoyed it just as much as I did the other two, but those last 10 minutes - for me - just killed the whole series. Everything I've done in all 3 games comes down to, "Pick the Red, Blue or Green Pill.". How can this be an enjoyable ending to the series?

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I am not sure everyone wants a "good" ending but it should have been an option as the one that is currently in the game.  What is pissing most off is the lack of any real choice EVERY ending is the same.  If we had 16 different endings as promised then you would no see the outrage you have.  It is not about a good or bad endings it is about choices, and more so taking into account how you played the entire series.

I am sure this has been posted here already but I mean come on really Bioware this is what you are "proud" of copy and paste endings?  What we are getting with every new release from Bioware is more and more EA and less and less of what made Bioware a great company.  Charging for different endings that should have been in the game at release will just confirm the complete demise of a once great studio.   

SPOILER ALERT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA 

Don't get me wrong, I'm nowhere dictating how you are supposed to spend your money, its yours after all.

Its not even that i think you are "wrong", I just find your attitude counter-productive. And I will call it as it is, you are part of the problem why we can't have nice things, because you will vote with your wallet for exploitative companies and business-practices and others need to suffer for your vanity.

Where you see a "perfectly reasonable product" to be bought, i see a company holding my character and his story hostage for 10-20$.

Its like you would buy a TV with poor signal quality and the manufacturer told you to pay 1/4th of the TVs price to fix it, and you would say "I'll pay it because I am THAT dissatisfied with the lack of signal quality".

Only in the videogames industry can you say something like this with a straight face. That it comes from a relatively seasoned member of a industry-news site is an even bigger WTF-moment in of itself.

This isn't even about the money here, this is about integrity as a consumer.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I really liked ME2. Will try ME3 not for a while...

But when I completed ME2, I was severely impressed & severely under the impression that every little decison regarding your crew choices could lead to different endings all addin up the POSSIBILITIES/EVENTUALITIES.

I do not know the ending of ME3, but it sounds like Bioware did not take the expected and "optimum for wonder" route imo^^^ ???

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

They're going to do a Fallout 3 and retcon his death with DLC.

horrible but its not like other games havn't done it before.

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

Wow... I can't believe some people support this. Makes me sick. [Mod edit]

This was all planned from the start.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

They can make all the happy endings they want for 13 year old girls and the type of people that sign internet petitions over video games.

For me Mass Effect will always end with Shepard sacrificing himself and becoming the stuff of myth and legend.

If I actually had to sit through something like Shepard settling down with Miranda to start a fucking emu farm and adopting Quarian babies then I'd consider the game ruined.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

We the gamers cause games to be released buggy, with less content than in the past, and over priced. We tell the companies with our wallets. I personally don't appreciate being ripped off. I prefer to get entire games and a fair price. I didn't purchase Mass Effect 3 and any other game that that gets bad reviews for being released buggy, containing item shops, or downloadable content with release of a game.

I would rather give my money to companies that instead of spending developer time on downloadable content before the game has even been released, spends their time on the game itself. Same goes for item shops. I will not purchase Diablo 3. They had time to get the item shop working yet not get all promised features in? No thank you. You only hurt youself by not being wise with your money.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Fans need closure?  It sounds like some kind of group therarpy session.

Break out a word processor and write the ending you wanted.  Then keep it to yourself so that it remains special.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Seems EAware is taking a hit everywhere. Now they've cancelled the Dragon Age 2 DLC and called DA2 quits http://www.gamesradar.com/dragon-age-2-dlc-cancelled-bioware-considers-series-next-phase/

As far as DLC endings for ME3, it doesn't matter what they charge, I'll be attaining it for free regardless. Between DA2, SWTOR, and now ME3, EAware can kiss my wallet goodbye.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-