Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Ask the Devs CBT Edition

Comments

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Gel214th

How often can or will events be repeated? For example if there is a gang of bandits attacking a town one morning at 8 am...and I'm around and I mosey on by and stop them. When I log back in at 8pm and go to that same area, will I be able to do that event again? Will events repeat in a particular area?

Events repeat on varying cycles, from minutes, to hours, to days or weeks; others are seasonal, day/night dependent, or player-initiated. So it would really vary depending on what the event was and where you were.

How many different paths are there through the game? If I replay the game with a different character (Alts) can I reasonably select new quests and experience different content to make it through the various areas in the game? 

There are 5 different racial starting areas, which cover from level 1 to around level 25. The various racial storylines seem to meet up around Lion's Arch around level 30, after which point players choose a faction to ally themselves with (Durmand Priory, The Vigil, The Order of Whispers), which branches again to different plot points. All three points meet up at a later point for the finale.

It has been said that two characters of the same race can, through storyline choices, experience a completely different storyline for at least a portion of the story.

How are rewards at the end of Dungeons handled? Does each participant get their own rewards (DDO), or are rewards shared and rolled on (Warcraft, Rift etc.)? 

Each participants get their own instanced drops and loot from chests/bosses. You do not see what drops for others, but you will not necessarily receive items appropriate for your profession; these can be traded.

In PVP combat will opponents be able to do jumpyjumpyfigureeights through other characters? Do characters have collision detection to prevent this? Is there an Auto-face option where you will turn to face your opponent, negating the benefit of running straight through someone then quickly turning to attack their back? 

There is collision between you and an enemy you have targeted. There is no autofacing.

Do you get positional bonuses to attacks, such as behind, flanking etc.? 

Some skills do have positional bonuses, such as some ranger and thief skills that do extra damage from behind or the side.

One server, one world? Or several servers (Warcraft), or several servers with instanced zones (SWTOR)?

Several servers (there is server vs server PvP so this is necessarily a feature of the infrastructure. Zones are not instanced (i.e. there are not multiple copies of the zone); players who cannot fit on the server will be placed in an "overflow server" where they can play and retain all progress in PvE until room on the server opens up for them.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

WIll they region the lock the game?  and if so for what areas?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I don't have any gameplay related questions at the moment, but I was wondering something about the upcoming launch.

With the crazy anticipation for GW2 (unparallelled for the last years it seems to me) I wonder how the devs are not just looking forward to a release finally, but also at the same time dread it. The amount of players that will want to play the first day will be immense. With just the box to buy and no sub fee, I expect relatively high numbers. Will their servers be able to handle that insane amount of starting players? They must dread this part, lol

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by sidhaethe

How often can or will events be repeated? For example if there is a gang of bandits attacking a town one morning at 8 am...and I'm around and I mosey on by and stop them. When I log back in at 8pm and go to that same area, will I be able to do that event again? Will events repeat in a particular area?

Events repeat on varying cycles, from minutes, to hours, to days or weeks; others are seasonal, day/night dependent, or player-initiated. So it would really vary depending on what the event was and where you were.

How many different paths are there through the game? If I replay the game with a different character (Alts) can I reasonably select new quests and experience different content to make it through the various areas in the game? 

There are 5 different racial starting areas, which cover from level 1 to around level 25. The various racial storylines seem to meet up around Lion's Arch around level 30, after which point players choose a faction to ally themselves with (Durmand Priory, The Vigil, The Order of Whispers), which branches again to different plot points. All three points meet up at a later point for the finale.

It has been said that two characters of the same race can, through storyline choices, experience a completely different storyline for at least a portion of the story.

How are rewards at the end of Dungeons handled? Does each participant get their own rewards (DDO), or are rewards shared and rolled on (Warcraft, Rift etc.)? 

Each participants get their own instanced drops and loot from chests/bosses. You do not see what drops for others, but you will not necessarily receive items appropriate for your profession; these can be traded.

In PVP combat will opponents be able to do jumpyjumpyfigureeights through other characters? Do characters have collision detection to prevent this? Is there an Auto-face option where you will turn to face your opponent, negating the benefit of running straight through someone then quickly turning to attack their back? 

There is collision between you and an enemy you have targeted. There is no autofacing.

Some skills do have positional bonuses, such as some ranger and thief skills that do extra damage from behind or the side.

One server, one world? Or several servers (Warcraft), or several servers with instanced zones (SWTOR)?

Several servers (there is server vs server PvP so this is necessarily a feature of the infrastructure. Zones are not instanced (i.e. there are not multiple copies of the zone); players who cannot fit on the server will be placed in an "overflow server" where they can play and retain all progress in PvE until room on the server opens up for them.

I missed the jest of the OP. I thought this discussion was for us to ask questions to arena.net GW2 team. Why are forum members answering them?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Amjoco

I missed the jest of the OP. I thought this discussion was for us to ask questions to arena.net GW2 team. Why are forum members answering them?

Because they are questions to which the answers are readily available with the smallest amount of googling, there is absolutely no reason to waste the dev's time on them when you can get the answers from others.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ArcherAvatarArcherAvatar Member Posts: 10

Will the elite skill (mistfire wolf) included in the DD and CE versions of the game be accessible immediately after character creation, or will it only be available to characters once they "unlock" the elite skill slot normally?

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Regarding character creation:

I saw the character creation, and i noticed eye and/or lip color, as well as some facial makeup on females, being locked at particular face presets. Is this state of character creation complete, and will you make us able to change features that i mentioned, other than them being locked on face presets? 

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by sidhaethe

You are right of course, but the above question is something that shows the poster doesn't understand the dynamic event system.

There is no path (outside your personal story). You can't even outlvl content, so you could be running into a direction of a different race's starting zone without even realising it. Because your lvl automatically scales down to just above the content's lvl if you are too high lvl. So just pick a direction and start having fun. The main barrier you will find is too high lvl content that will own your ass. (Which is the best part imo)

I wonder how some players will deal with the lack of a journal full of quests.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I just want to know about the cash shop. In the CE if Guild Wars 2 I saw a lot of items that looked sort of P2W type of deal to me. Like are you going to add PvP rewards in the cash shop or something will give a boost to guild honor? These items were in the CE and if that kin dof thing is going to be in the cash shop I will not be playing this game as it will be a P2W type of game.

Smile

• dobre_nonydobre_nony Member Posts: 1

Will the game ever end ? Like guild wars 1 ? or will it have more repeatable quests and stuff for end game content ? like world of warcraft for example. Guild Wars 1 had quite the ending and the questline stops there (continuing in the expansions).

And is the world really really fully open, or did they make just bigger zones with instances ? From what ive seen the world is kinda like in world of wacraft, a bige huge open world, as opposed to guild wars 1 where there were only instances.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

How will town clothes be obtained?

Have the technical limitations regarding eye color and face choice been lifted?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

How will the names be reserved for GW1 players? For instance, if I don't have a possibility of prepurchasing the game and I  preorder the game, so I get only 1 day headstart, will someone be able to use my name for the first 2 days of headstart access?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by Ripclaw

Originally posted by B3bb0

Would like to know if Guilds on GW1 can have their name reserved or could we have the ability to form up a guild before the game goes live?

"Can I play my original Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2?

Guild Wars 2 is a whole new game with different professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay. It is not possible to directly use an original Guild Wars character.

However, your original Guild Wars character names will be reserved for your use in Guild Wars 2. The Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2 recognizes the accomplishments commemorated by your original Guild Wars characters and provides you with unique rewards to showcase those achievements."

Found this in the offical GW2 FAQ for you. ;)

He asked about GUILD NAME, not CHARACTER NAME... It's not in the FAQ :P

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

Would like to know if Guilds on GW1 can have their name reserved or could we have the ability to form up a guild before the game goes live?

Guild Wars 2 is a whole new game with different professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay. It is not possible to directly use an original Guild Wars character.

However, your original Guild Wars character names will be reserved for your use in Guild Wars 2. The Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2 recognizes the accomplishments commemorated by your original Guild Wars characters and provides you with unique rewards to showcase those achievements."

I think he/she was talking about guild name...

Funny, with that feature of keeping old character names; I'm not intending to reuse old PC names - have a whole new set of names thought up for the new game. :)

I think he/she was talking about guild name...

Funny, with that feature of keeping old character names; I'm not intending to reuse old PC names - have a whole new set of names thought up for the new game. :)

Originally posted by dobre_nony

Will the game ever end ? Like guild wars 1 ? or will it have more repeatable quests and stuff for end game content ? like world of warcraft for example. Guild Wars 1 had quite the ending and the questline stops there (continuing in the expansions).

And is the world really really fully open, or did they make just bigger zones with instances ? From what ive seen the world is kinda like in world of wacraft, a bige huge open world, as opposed to guild wars 1 where there were only instances.

I suspect that GW2 will have a lot of stuff to keep doing with things like DE's and such.  Plus, I expect that Anet will develop new content and expansions, kind of like they did for GW1.

The world is much more open, but from what I have read, there are still zones (just really big ones).

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

Will there be any changes to the death penalty, more particularly to the visuals of broken armor?

I'm very concerned about the issue, its possible conseqences for the community, like increased harassment, and I'm strongly against forcing players' characters to run in their panties as part of penalty mechanics of any kind. (It's the reason why after almost five years of waiting I'm considering not playing GW2 at all.)

Originally posted by Gamayun

Will there be any changes to the death penalty, more particularly to the visuals of broken armor?

I'm very concerned about the issue, its possible conseqences for the community, like increased harassment, and I'm strongly against forcing players' characters to run in their panties as part of penalty mechanics of any kind. (It's the reason why after almost five years of waiting I'm considering not playing GW2 at all.)

Don't know what characters % of armor defact has to do with increased harassment... You just go to the merchant and repair it... 

Watch this: 

It might answer your question.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by korent1991

Personal story. Is it instanced or is it guiding us trough the open world? If it's instanced, can we bring our friends with us or is it solo missions only?

From a couple of articles from massively:

While they're designed to be completable solo, personal storyline instances allow for buddies to be brought in, and content will scale to keep things interesting.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/flameseeker-chronicles-quest-education/

I was going through the early level Norn story with another player, which shouldn't be surprising given how much I've emphasized my appreciation for group play in this game, and we both just so happened to need to talk to Beigarth the Smith in Hoelbrak to kick off our personal stories. After a short but vicious fight about who got to advance the storyline first, my buddy queued up his instance. Imagine my surprise when, at the end of his conversation with Beigarth, I was given an option to either save this progress as my own or redo it. I chose to accept it, and just to see how far that went, we spent the next nine levels' worth of personal story accepting each other's progress.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/28/flameseeker-chronicles-i-hope-you-like-pve-stuff/

So basically, they're instanced, you can bring your friends, and if they have the same personal story, they can accept your progress or (in case they want to try different responses or aproaches) chose to ignore it and do it again later.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Originally posted by korent1991

Personal story. Is it instanced or is it guiding us trough the open world? If it's instanced, can we bring our friends with us or is it solo missions only?

From a couple of articles from massively:

While they're designed to be completable solo, personal storyline instances allow for buddies to be brought in, and content will scale to keep things interesting.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/flameseeker-chronicles-quest-education/

I was going through the early level Norn story with another player, which shouldn't be surprising given how much I've emphasized my appreciation for group play in this game, and we both just so happened to need to talk to Beigarth the Smith in Hoelbrak to kick off our personal stories. After a short but vicious fight about who got to advance the storyline first, my buddy queued up his instance. Imagine my surprise when, at the end of his conversation with Beigarth, I was given an option to either save this progress as my own or redo it. I chose to accept it, and just to see how far that went, we spent the next nine levels' worth of personal story accepting each other's progress.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/28/flameseeker-chronicles-i-hope-you-like-pve-stuff/

So basically, they're instanced, you can bring your friends, and if they have the same personal story, they can accept your progress or (in case they want to try different responses or aproaches) chose to ignore it and do it again later.

Awesome! Thank you! :)

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by korent1991     Don't know what characters % of armor defact has to do with increased harassment... You just go to the merchant and repair it... 

Watch this: 

Thank you! 

I know it takes several deaths before an armor piece breaks, and I know it's possible to repair it regularly. That doesn't answer my question or help with my concerns (there's a whole thread about broken armor and being naked over at GW2G).

• kneebanekneebane Member CommonPosts: 15

Hi,

Regarding lately announced Meta-events - Are these existing in each map area and can there be more than one meta-event in map area? Are the meta events always combination of same smaller events or do these variate in order to build up as a different kind of Meta-event?

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Will the game support international sales at launch, or will it be limited to just the US and UK? (To date SWTOR is not for sale everywhere in the world, the Caribbean for example is blocked from digital purchases.)

Will the game have built in support for remapping controls to Gamepads like the Xbox 360 gamepad on a PC. With a limited number of skills it seems that it may be possible for players so inclined to use alternative input devices. DC Heroes and Champions Online are two examples of games that can be played well with the Xbox 360 controller and configured from within the game without need of third party devices.

What sort of UI support will there be for forming groups, and for keeping those groups together across different aspects of the game. For example, as a group would we be able to see each others quests and progress in a particular area on the UI map? I don't know how travel is but could we for example call up other members to an event?

Are there instanced missions that could be scaled through manually selected difficulty levels by players? I'm thinking of the City of Heroes mission structure where there are difficulty levels which range from pretty easy for even a solo septagenarian gamer, to insanely difficult for a fully decked out team.

Style and Fashion in the cash shop, will we be able to purchase outfits? Will we get XP potions and other little gameplay boosts as well? Can we purchase power packs which will contain powers (thinking Guild Wars 1 here). 

Why can't we Fly yet. 

What UI and game world features does Guild Wars 2 have to support Roleplay? 

Do you have Social Media integration as with Rift? Linking to Twitter, Facebook and more importantly YouTube so that players can record and post screenshots or 10 minute videos?

Can we scan an in-game Wiki for information about the game? 

Does the game UI support survey questions from the Developers to crowd source solutions or opinion from a wider cross section of players other than Forums/email etc. ?

If you did 5 minutes of research you would notice that 95% of your questions are already answered

• Shan_ReaperShan_Reaper Member Posts: 20

At the beginning of new trait system it was said there are totally 90 points. 70 from leveling up and 20 from contents when we reach max level. In the official Trait article, there were mentioned only points gathered by leveling. So all in all, are there totally 70 or 90 trait points?

When it's going to be ready? 

^^

Originally posted by Gamayun

Originally posted by korent1991     Don't know what characters % of armor defact has to do with increased harassment... You just go to the merchant and repair it... 

Watch this: 

Thank you! 

I know it takes several deaths before an armor piece breaks, and I know it's possible to repair it regularly. That doesn't answer my question or help with my concerns (there's a whole thread about broken armor and being naked over at GW2G).

Ohhhh... Now I understand what's your concern... :)

Well, I'm not a fan of dissapearing armor when broken either, it would be interesting to see what they got to say about this.