Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glad they sent me a free 7 day trial

Comments

• meltingstarsmeltingstars Member UncommonPosts: 51

*sigh* This game...

I was acutally playing WoW at the end of November, then I decided one night to watch some JTV and someone was beta testing SWTOR, and up until that point that game went under my radar, even with the awesome trailer lightsaber battles.  Being a Star Wars fan I instantly wanted to play the game, so I did some minimal research for a few days, tried to sign up for a beta yet I just missed the last weekend.  Even though some people were saying "NPCs aren't even moving" I still wanted to play.  I preordered soon after and was hyped.  Then looking at my laptops specs I realized I needed to upgrade.  I started playing the game on my old laptop and I couldn't PvP, yet I played and it was fresh and new, I was having fun.

Then I got my new laptop and set the graphics all on high, minus the shadows, and the graphics did look nice.  But then, as I kept playing in shorter intervals, something just didn't resonate.  I quested to just complete the areas.  I really didn't like all the questing.  Taris had sooooo many it got annoying, and I don't like abandoning content.  Anyways, joined a few guilds, I quested with others, did some world bosses, did FPs and PvPed all the way up to 48.  I unsuscribed because I was doing a contract job, and I did plan on re-suscribing.  Except once I finished work and came back home... I had zero desire to play.

I remember reading the forums a lot, and seeing the so called "negative" posts, and I tried to remain impartial to the whole debate, yet I was defending the game to an extent, as it was "my game right now".  Yet what I was doing was blinding myself to the actuall draw backs to this game.  I even watched some TORtanic videos and got a chuckle, yet still played.

So I bagan wondering to myself "Why am I not suscribing to this game?", and started seeking out others point of views (how I came to read this site), and the answers slowly dawned.  After reading many user reviews, watching "Stanly Roo" youtube videos, and youtube reviews I realized why I didn't resubscribe.  I even came to hating on the game myself.  The forum mods closing threads became annoying when someone was really bringing up the issues.  EA pushing for an early release (which was smart to get money and beat the all these spring and summer MMO releases), yet the game was incomplete and the rage that I felt over this game was because basically it's like BW wanted us to pay them to test their game. 

For example;  report bugs to us, reroll on another server because we can't do transfers with our engine.

I'm not tech savvy yet that engine seems like a bad choice.  Seeing the videos on peoples FPS while opening up tabs.  (Happened to me too - along with random delays and freezes).

I liked some of the backgrounds actually.  Coruscant looked nice and then this one instance... forget the name, the one where you have to save Revan or something, the space backdrop looked pretty amazing.  I actually enjoyed Hutball, since I love hockey, it was interesting.  The PvP was actually fun for me.. yet this game.. could have been much more.

Basically, I understand why lots of people on the official SW forums were having fun on the forum PvP game. 

I had more fun playing Jedi Academy online...

So yeah, I got to level 48, and I do like a good story, yet I was at level 48 and couldn't keep playing...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by TyvolusNext

Originally posted by Dakeru

My mate and me got the 7 day trial as well. We take the game as what it is - a co-op RPG. And since we are playing it as that, always duoing everything, we are actually having fun.

thats fine, but its not the problem here.  the problem is BW/EA takes it as a full-fledged MMORPG and wants $15/month for the right to play it.  its a single player game first and foremost, no need for a sub fee.

I think it would do better if had been designed to be F2P.     

The expectation would have been less, and odds are people would just take breaks, rather than completely writing off the game.

So the OP would liked it more if it was f2p.  Wait, he got to play it for free................

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Yeah I played for the weekend. Confirmed why I did not buy this game in the first place. What a waste of few days I just had.

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Originally posted by Jonnas13

Originally posted by RogueTroopa

Made it to a level 10 Bounty hunter. Thats all i could take.

Questing simply got repetitive. Didn't help the environments were lifeless and dull. So dam quiet everywhere! Mobs are static in 3's. And quick respawn got on my nerves. Got a shuttle to the imperial fleet. Couldn't believe how quiet this 'supposed' main social hub was. Everywhere was just dead.

I salute you guys who made it to 50. I haven't the willpower to subject myself to this.  

Annoys me that there was so much potential for a great interactive Star Wars Universe. After 7 years of development and they produce this???? I'll quote John Macenroe 'You cannot be serious.'

On a hunch i decided to check out you post history. Every post you have made in the last 4 months with the exception of 3 were bashing SWTOR. Thats fine of course but what worries me is that you seem to have completely forgotten the beta you took part in and presumably playing it post launch too as your posts try to make out.

Post history is a bitch huh.

Nice

The OP has lost any shred of credibility. As always in these types of post. Nothing constructive has been said. I cant understand why ppl value another persons opinion.

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

tried out the trial and enjoyed it..but could'nt help thinking this game needs so much more..i was totally into the story and loved it..i played beta as well..in a previous post i said playing swtor was 'an itch to scratch'.tbh this game has no more content than rift at launch imo.i,m not saying its a really bad game but it does need work.

what gets me is when GW2 comes out and also TSW and Tera..you kind of think a lot of subs are going to vanish.i dont think f2p will help either,given the fact that EA are notorious for basically scamming peeps.

i do wish the game and players the best and hope it will hold its own..but i cannot justify paying £45 for this .

• airborne1312airborne1312 Member Posts: 56

There are people playing age of conan still so go figure?

I tried the free trial and lasted 2 days till i saw the light.

Having played wow (well old school wow since now its gone to the dogs) you realise how polished the game was..it had all the mmo ingredients...community...rich graphics....loads of gear/weapon sets that looked good....open worlds to explore that were full of life...pvp ganking etc etc

Everything SWTOR has missed....the developers should be shot.

BUT if you came to SWTOR never having played a decent mmo then you might think its good.

It depends on what you can compare it too.

i can tell an unpolished turd when i play one.

Play wow up to 70 and you will realise its that bad.

Mind you there are people playing rift, warhammer, lotro so its a mad world we live in.

I dont play wow anymore since got bored of it and full of teenage chavs frothing at the mouth but can still rise above the rabid wow h8ers that infest this forum and realise that it was done very very well.

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147

The OP has lost any shred of credibility. As always in these types of post. Nothing constructive has been said. I cant understand why ppl value another persons opinion.

Indeed take everything i've said with a pinch of salt. Afterall you have to have some sort of credability status to say anything constructive on this forum. How strange the internet has become nowadays.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• airborne1312airborne1312 Member Posts: 56

Look if your still playing swtor after 30 days then it is either your first mmo so you can be excused.

It night be your second mmo after age of conan so you can be excused.

Hell it might be your third mmo after rift and age of conan so you can still be excused.

Failing all those legitimate excuses for still playing, the only reason is that you are a delusional, boring, die hard star wars fanboy geek that cant see past the tosh that bioware have dished up.

Its true and you know it.

Case dismissed.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by airborne1312

Look if your still playing swtor after 30 days then it is either your first mmo so you can be excused.

It night be your second mmo after age of conan so you can be excused.

Hell it might be your third mmo after rift and age of conan so you can still be excused.

Failing all those legitimate excuses for still playing, the only reason is that you are a delusional, boring, die hard star wars fanboy geek that cant see past the tosh that bioware have dished up.

Its true and you know it.

Case dismissed.

Haha hilarious!

Now do Mass Effect 3 please.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by elocke

Plus the promise that 1.2 is the miracle patch is not accurate.  I have 12 days left on my sub and I decided to see the new stuff on the test server to see if it would make the game any better and worth resubbing.  After playing the first 10 levels with the new patch...the only difference was I can sprint from level 1 and I can move the UI around and enable target of target....it still felt the same and bored me to tears.

Until the combat, enemy AI(that clumps of 3 mobs stuff is accurate and stays that way up to 50) and dead world feel is changed, this game will still not be worth the monthly sub and 1.2 is NOT the patch everyone thought it would be.

i dont know how they will fix the dead world feel the game has because all the phasing. Perhaps removing all that crap? i could not stand to see playerbase ranging from 15 to 180 people per area every time i logged in the game (even with heavy load population server)... it was always a dead town with some survivors here and there. Technology is too advanced to split the population by using so much phasing. Im going to play dumb here and say, they are the professional developers here, they can figure something out and avoid phasing while still get its advantages from something else.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Nevulus

Questing simply got repetitive. Didn't help the environments were lifeless and dull. So dam quiet everywhere! Mobs are static in 3's. And quick respawn got on my nerves. 

You just described 90% of every MMO out there. Good Job, Im sure this post was in no single way an instrument to jump on the bandwagon of people who continually dislike and hate on anything new that comes along.

Why do you assume that if someone dislikes the particular game you like that they "continually dislike and hate on anything new". Why is it that Tera, Rift, GW2 gets no where near the amount of negative posts that SWTOR do, could it maybe be that more people think that particular game is un-ambitious and mediocre compared to how it was marketed.

Rift got its fair share of bashing and its old news now. Tera isn't even released yet and get fair amount of bashing..GW2..again isn't released yet. Come back later and talk to me when GW2 and Tera officially release. SWTOR is fresh and new right now.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Stay on topic please and do not personally attack other players.

Originally posted by Jonnas13

Made it to a level 10 Bounty hunter. Thats all i could take.

Questing simply got repetitive. Didn't help the environments were lifeless and dull. So dam quiet everywhere! Mobs are static in 3's. And quick respawn got on my nerves. Got a shuttle to the imperial fleet. Couldn't believe how quiet this 'supposed' main social hub was. Everywhere was just dead.

I salute you guys who made it to 50. I haven't the willpower to subject myself to this.  

Annoys me that there was so much potential for a great interactive Star Wars Universe. After 7 years of development and they produce this???? I'll quote John Macenroe 'You cannot be serious.'

On a hunch i decided to check out you post history. Every post you have made in the last 4 months with the exception of 3 were bashing SWTOR. Thats fine of course but what worries me is that you seem to have completely forgotten the beta you took part in and presumably playing it post launch too as your posts try to make out.

Post history is a bitch huh.

Hahahah..busted. 

/end thread.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by grimal

BUT if you came to SWTOR never having played a decent mmo then you might think its good.

I dont play wow anymore since got bored of it and full of teenage chavs frothing at the mouth but can still rise above the rabid wow h8ers that infest this forum and realise that it was done very very well.

These kind of replies are great for a laugh.  You do understand with this post you come off as a narrowminded egotistical maniac?

I'll bite and up you a few notches in elitism:

Unless you've played a decent MMO in the past, you might think TOR is bad.

Again, depends on what you compare it to.  (It's kind of like fine wine....unless you've had it before, you won't be able to appreciate it)

Only those that have played UO at launch have the necessary credentials to truly review an MMO as good and/or bad.

Happens to be that I did play UO at launch and can say with 100% confidence that WoW is garbage and SW:TOR is great.

But please, don't bother replying to my post unless you played UO when it launched.  If you did play UO at launch and disagree, you are simply a TOR h8er and I can rise above you.

Oh god...

SWTOR is not badly done, but it's missing a lot of stuff and EA is too cheap to actually provide a good support for the game.

WoW had a good run while it was still bearable to play the same ol', same ol' crap over again with each expansion. ;)

Saying SWTOR is great is just being unrealistic. If this is the shape of a great MMORPG for you, then I can say, you ain't seen what's actually good...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by korent1991

These kind of replies are great for a laugh.  You do understand with this post you come off as a narrowminded egotistical maniac?

Again, depends on what you compare it to.  (It's kind of like fine wine....unless you've had it before, you won't be able to appreciate it)

Only those that have played UO at launch have the necessary credentials to truly review an MMO as good and/or bad.

Happens to be that I did play UO at launch and can say with 100% confidence that WoW is garbage and SW:TOR is great.

But please, don't bother replying to my post unless you played UO when it launched.  If you did play UO at launch and disagree, you are simply a TOR h8er and I can rise above you.

Oh god...

SWTOR is not badly done, but it's missing a lot of stuff and EA is too cheap to actually provide a good support for the game.

WoW had a good run while it was still bearable to play the same ol', same ol' crap over again with each expansion. ;)

Saying SWTOR is great is just being unrealistic. If this is the shape of a great MMORPG for you, then I can say, you ain't seen what's actually good...

Good and bad is subjective. Only because hs finds SWTOR great doesn't mean he is wrong and you are right. You might find a lot of things in life great which for me could becomplete grbage. Each to his own. Life is lot more wonderful when people understand that every human being has different tastes and preferences in life.

Do you go argue with people in real life for their taste in music and movies and tell them they are wrong to find them great? only because they are not of your taste?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Ankur

Oh god...

Good and bad is subjective. Only because hs finds SWTOR great doesn't mean he is wrong and you are right. You might find a lot of things in life great which for me could becomplete grbage. Each to his own. Life is lot more wonderful when people understand that every human being has different tastes and preferences in life.

Do you go argue with people in real life for their taste in music and movies and tell them they are wrong to find them great? only because they are not of your taste?

PFFTTT!..Confront someone face-to-face and say how much you hate the shit they like and how stupid they are for likeing something you despise...without the anonymity of the internet. Never!

Originally posted by BarCrow

Oh god...

PFFTTT!..Confront someone face-to-face and say how much you hate the shit they like and how stupid they are for likeing something you despise...without the anonymity of the internet. Never!

Exactly my point. 

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Well, to be honest, it happens all of the time. Try celebrating Mardi Gras in a rural southern town/city and the bible thumping baptists will teach you a thing, or two about bigotry.

Hell, there are even people who will go up to your doorstep and tell you to repent, or go to hell. If that isn't telling somebody how stupid they are for their beliefs/preferences, I don't know what is.

That having been said, I don't answer the door anymore without being armed. If they don't like it, there's always the castle law.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Well, to be honest, it happens all of the time. Try celebrating Mardi Gras in a rural southern town/city and the bible thumping baptists will teach you a thing, or two about bigotry.

Hell, there are even people who will go up to your doorstep and tell you to repent, or go to hell. If that isn't telling somebody how stupid they are for their beliefs/preferences, I don't know what is.

That having been said, I don't answer the door anymore without being armed. If they don't like it, there's always the castle law.

True..religion and politics are exceptions to that sort of outward social behavior outside the internet but certainly not the rule. Tho maybe we should classify gamers among those two as well.

Then again...being a true fanatic of anything is just not good.lol.

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

dunno...to each their own.  I love this game. Still playing it.  There is always plenty of people in the Imperial Fleet on my server.

• Originally posted by DLangley

Stay on topic please and do not personally attack other players.

Dude, how do you expect me to argue with people when I have no  real counter argument?

I mean seriously trying to take away my only decent tactic ...

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Nevulus

Questing simply got repetitive. Didn't help the environments were lifeless and dull. So dam quiet everywhere! Mobs are static in 3's. And quick respawn got on my nerves. 

You just described 90% of every MMO out there. Good Job, Im sure this post was in no single way an instrument to jump on the bandwagon of people who continually dislike and hate on anything new that comes along.

Why do you assume that if someone dislikes the particular game you like that they "continually dislike and hate on anything new". Why is it that Tera, Rift, GW2 gets no where near the amount of negative posts that SWTOR do, could it maybe be that more people think that particular game is un-ambitious and mediocre compared to how it was marketed.

I would say cause a group of prior SWG fans simply cannot STFU when it pertains to TOR. It is pretty simple to name them, but that is ban material, and I prefer to keep my posting privledge.

Dont try to play it off as something on BWs end. You want an answer to your question, then I would suggest you look up Dr Phil. IMO no sane person would carry on about a games mechanics being changed, and yet we heard about "PRE-CU FTW" for over 5 yrs. So it really doesnt surprise me they would find a new focal point, and have another go round.

Especially when the new game covers the same IP as their lost luv, with it getting finally sun set just prior to launch.

This isnt to say that there are no legitimate complaints....as there are a number of them. What transpires here though is a "whole nother level".

Folks will say "but what about GW2, or some other game".....measuring it to the former SWG player's hate, on this forum, the combination of all of them pales in comparison. Which is a shame, cause some former SWG players like TOR, while others simply found something else to play.

For the ones that didnt, chances are you will find them in this forum.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Oh god...

Pfffft, I do it a bit, or HAVE done it in the past.   Of course...that might explain why I have very few friends ;D  I say "oh, well" if you can't take my bluntness then too bad.  Rather be blunt and friendless than a liar with fair weather friends.

• bilbonbonbilbonbon Member Posts: 10

Me too i played closed beta and the 7 days trial that week end.

Game engine is smoother, thats good. Memory use is still enormous. I only have 2go(1.5 free) on my windows xp and it takes all....

However, i don't like the universe. I don't know, to me it seems so narrow (what? we cannot visit the huge city or fly in the sky...). T_T, so linear : teleport to that zone and do all quest...

I wish one day they will make a space mmorpg with huge immersive world (universe) where we can travel all around any planets, fly with battleship all that without zoning. Total huge universe is my dream ^^

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by elocke

Oh god...

Pfffft, I do it a bit, or HAVE done it in the past.   Of course...that might explain why I have very few friends ;D  I say "oh, well" if you can't take my bluntness then too bad.  Rather be blunt and friendless than a liar with fair weather friends.

You and i would get along as i do this every day.  Honesty is more important to me than feelings.  I really don't care if people don't like it.  Ironically i'm a super nice guy but i have zero patience for liars or people who try to bullshit around the truth.