Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Copernicus: What It Won't Be

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Keene & Graev Game Blog has been updated with some interesting information posted by 38 Studios' Curt Schilling on the FOH forums. He writes about what Copernicus will and won't be to MMO gamers. To start, Schilling disavows the notion that Copernicus will be a sandbox game and then moves on to vaguely discuss what the MMO will bring to the table.

Copernicus, and as always this is IMO only, will be an amazing MMO, an amazing experience for reasons that I believe MANY MMO players here will find awesome. Some won't, some of you guys will bitch and will gripe, that's likely the reason FoH is FoH.

It will NOT be an ability based sand box game, it just won't. So those of you that want that need not continue following this thread. Apologies if that was what you were hoping for.

It won't reinvent the wheel in many ways, but I do believe it will introduce some things promised, yet never done, and some things thought un'doable'. It may not be your cup of tea, but I am betting, roughly 40mm of my own money, and crap ton of others, that we will change the MMO space forever.

It will not be a twitched based combat system, it will have classes, it will have things I think MMO players love, and it will do them as well as anyone ever has.

I do believe we will move the genre forward, how much we do will likely be on you, the players, to determine on your own if we did what you had hoped, or did not.

In addition, the Keene & Graev forum has a tidbit of information from Todd McFarlane that Copernicus will be coming later in 2012.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I'm not trying to sound like Mr. Negative, but his reply sounds like this: "It's going to be the same old bs."

I don't mind the static class thing, so long as there is an actual world to explore. There is nothing more linear and annoying than these beautiful, yet tiny funnel-zones in moderm MMOs. I want a world where distant places feel DISTANT.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Man, and after being in touch with the community and having so much feedback saying, 'Please no more on rails themepark, please in game freedom back, please no WoW.'  It seems like they didn't really listen and are just chasing subs.

I hope they can pull off enough uniqueness to make something fun and interesting.  Will withhold judgment until more information is out.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

If its going to be anything like Kingdom of Amalur, I'm out!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by ProfRed

Man, and after being in touch with the community and having so much feedback saying, 'Please no more on rails themepark, please in game freedom back, please no WoW.'  It seems like they didn't really listen and are just chasing subs.

I hope they can pull off enough uniqueness to make something fun and interesting.  Will withhold judgment until more information is out.

From one of the other posts made by Schilling, it sounds like they are going more the direction of the original EQ, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

This is a post from the same thread:

Old 03-17-2012, 05:27 PM

#12330 (permalink)

+86 Internets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaidency View Post

I think it's very fair to ask what purpose levels even serve in modern MMO's..

For a huge set of players levels denote, call out, and acknowledge achievement. Levels are a way to recognize effort, achievement, dedication, whatever you want to call it or label it, for many players.

I always liked levels in my games. 

Not to say I didn't like games without levels, because I did, but given the choice I liked it due to it's simplicity.

It gives me a ladder to climb, and imo HOW I climb the ladder is about as important to me, if not more so, than the actual climbing itself.

It's a game, my hobby, and I want to have fun playing it, whatever the system in place to denote progress.

I wasn't a fan of UO, mainly because of PVP, and me not being a PVP guy, but I think more so because everyone looked and acted the same. Everyone had the same skills, and abilities, and to me that was boring.

I like being able to be a monk, and the fact that ONLY (at launch) humans could be monks in EQ was, I think, the major reason I picked the class. I like that, I think that's cool.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

well if it s a wow cookie cutter mold -iam ok with that cous ethe graphics in KoA are amazing!

still he should of invest in W40k millenium imo.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

It will not be a twitched based combat system

This is what sorta concerns me.  I've tried going back to FFXI many times since i quit and i just can't do that combat style anymore.  It also dictates that there either won't be any PVP or it will be terrible.  I'd rather they not even have it in that case.  I could be wrong and maybe they've come up with a new system no one has seen yet.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by mmoDAD

I'm not trying to sound like Mr. Negative, but his reply sounds like this: "It's going to be the same old bs."

I don't mind the static class thing, so long as there is an actual world to explore. There is nothing more linear and annoying than these beautiful, yet tiny funnel-zones in moderm MMOs. I want a world where distant places feel DISTANT.

rofl, he does sound very defensive...it would have been nice if he would have mentioned one of the new things the game would be bringing to the table instead of giving us examples of how it will be a standard mmo image

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It sure does sound familiar, in fact, it sounds just like the Dev's at Bioware, and so many titles before it.

I'm seeing standard theme park MMO with a few variations on the basic theme, just like ...the last 5 titles tried to do.

Not surprising, people putting a lot of money on the line aren't going to take big chances, they're going to follow what has proven to see enough to recover their investment, even if its not likely to break much new ground. (or overtake WOW)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I think the fact that he's honest about what it's not is great.... and very refreshing for a studio these days. Much more refreshing then the typical PR marketing-speak that most AAA titles devolve into, promising to be all thing to all people.

That being said, I have absolutely no interest in playing the type of game he's described. I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who still have interest in themeparks....but for me they've just been done to death.... I'd rather sit in a dentists office then play another one.  That's fine...no problem... I don't expect every game out there to be made to my tastes. I'll just wait till one comes along that is.

Heck, if 38 Studios is successfull maybe they'll end up making another product some day that is more to my tastes. If they do, then I'll actualy believe them when they say it.....unlike half the studios out there, who try to tell you thier product is aimed toward one thing when it's something else entirely just to make a quick sale. Gotta respect it when people are being honest and straightforward with you...even if what their telling you is not what you want to hear.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Im steering clear of this one then even though I didnt try KoA because he sounds like he's telling me directly not to buy it. I wish all the success to 38Studios and Schilling though. I actually appreciate them giving me a heads up that its not going to be my type of game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    So basicly wow with a couple of new gimmicks and flashier graphics
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

"It won't reinvent the wheel in many ways,"

Word for FECKING word the same as the SWTOR summation from Bio. Here we go again.

Seriously who'd a brother gotta kill to get some sweet sandbox action round here?

Why are dev's so afraid to take risks? The mmo player base is limited, so its not hard to found out that we are sick of the same thing, as is pointed out whenever another themepark, whether Aion, RIft, etc comes out.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

once again there's a fail dev making a fail game. And no i'm not holding back my punches because these people need to learn that we the players are tired of the same old crap.

If he continues down this path and keeps his game the same as all the other games out there as far as goals and the themepark model and the long drawn out grind, his game will fail shortly after launch. Sorry but it's true. (or it will dwindle while their financial director gives out the same false number of subs every month in press releases). Either way it's not good.

• MustarastasMustarastas Member UncommonPosts: 79

Why all the negativism in this thread? It seems that someone is going to invest alot of money into a mmorpg. R A Salvatore, Todd McFarley etc developing the game makes me smile. I see it as positive thing that big people from other scenes start to take interest in mmo's.

Heads up - and I do hope that this game will succeed. Rift is brilliant game, but cause people think its dead - the general concensus is that its dead.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by xDayx

Im steering clear of this one then even though I didnt try KoA because he sounds like he's telling me directly not to buy it. I wish all the success to 38Studios and Schilling though. I actually appreciate them giving me a heads up that its not going to be my type of game.

Yeah, at the very least I appreciate him being up front with what the game will offer.  Saves me the effort of chasing a stillborn dream of the game I would want it to be.  Good luck to him.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

It will not be a twitched based combat system

This is what sorta concerns me.  I've tried going back to FFXI many times since i quit and i just can't do that combat style anymore.  It also dictates that there either won't be any PVP or it will be terrible.  I'd rather they not even have it in that case.  I could be wrong and maybe they've come up with a new system no one has seen yet.

I'm one of those gamers that has been raging against the trend in this genre toward twitch / fast paced combat.  I miss the combat from EverQuest.  I want to feel like I'm playing an RPG, not an action game.

• MustarastasMustarastas Member UncommonPosts: 79

This is propably going to be the first Western MMORPG that is going to implement the next-gen combat system - if they have used the KoA engine.

Soo, basically, if you dont like the glow effects of Tera, lack of content of Vindictus, and bad graphical design of Dragon Nest - and still want to play dark MMO without sticky targetting - I think is going to be your choice for a game.

Todd McFarlane even sayd in an interview that "I have never tryed to invent anything new. I have just remodelled the ideas tossed by others. I made Venom out of Spiderman and after that we all know the success strory."

Originally posted by Mustarastas

Why all the negativism in this thread? It seems that someone is going to invest alot of money into a mmorpg. R A Salvatore, Todd McFarley etc developing the game makes me smile. I see it as positive thing that big people from other scenes start to take interest in mmo's.

Heads up - and I do hope that this game will succeed. Rift is brilliant game, but cause people think its dead - the general concensus is that its dead.

Rift is many things, but brilliant isn't a proper word to use to describe it.

To those folks bashing them for taking the safe route, put up 40M of your own cash and you too can make a MMORPG the way it outta be.   image

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I wasn't a fan of UO, mainly because of PVP, and me not being a PVP guy, but I think more so because everyone looked and acted the same. Everyone had the same skills, and abilities, and to me that was boring.

I like being able to be a monk, and the fact that ONLY (at launch) humans could be monks in EQ was, I think, the major reason I picked the class. I like that, I think that's cool.

This is sort of my feeling as well, Not the pvp part but the idea that if everyone can have any skill then sooner or later everyone is just like everyone else.

Of course, some some differences within a class would be nice but I'm all for people making choices of race and class and then building within those choices.

As far as "they didnt' listen to the players", who would they listen to? The disgruntled and picky players who want what they want how they want it and if it's not perfect then they go elsewhere? The players who want a niche game but want some company to pony up millions of dollars for it?

Schilling is using a lot of his own money and I agree with him that he should make a game that he enjoys, that hearkens back to the things he loves.

In this way you will get a great game. Because developing/creating to a spec sheet isn't  the way to go. Someone can create the ultimate sandbox game but if they aren't really "into it" how decent a job will they do?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Really enjoyed (still playing, on 3rd character) Reckoning though my biggest concern about the MMO was cleared up. I was seriously worried it would be a "action" MMO and him saying not a twitch game has made me happy. If I was still 20 it'd not be an issue but my reflexes aren't what they used to be and having to dodge all over the place to avoid damage is just not something I was looking forward to.  It's an RPG, I depending on my elf and his crazy dexterity to do that for me.

Class based, level based... good good. Not "no content we just call it sand box" good. Generic "we'll move the genre forward" ... we'll see.

I hope they do take the cinematic/quest giver style they used in Reckoning and SWTOR. I am so sick of walls of text. It really is much more immersive when the fella trying to get ya to save his village tells you why.

Just make sure the game has all the features we've grown to expect.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Curt Schilling has now doomed his fortune to contesting with the Wow clones.

What a sad day, where are all his supposed visions about making a better game?  

Hey Curt, that market is quite crowded right now, good luck trying to find a profitable niche in it, there are a host of similar games struggling to exist there and I don't see Copernicus being anything diffferent!

The chances of this being anything better than the rest of them are slim and none!  Another boring Wow clone that will be lucky to keep people playing more than a month or so.

Curt, you can stamp "CLUELESS" on your forehead now, it certainly fits.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

It sounds to me ike many of you want an mmofps....planetside 2 is coming for you. Stop trying to make mmorpgs into mmofps' that genre exist, go play it if you want the "unique" system of twitch combat and EVERYONE being dps.

Its one of the mos t tired arguments on this board. I have an idea tell me what would be new and different(with specifics) that wouldn't be an mmofps, within the frame work of an mmo describe to me what you would do to make it "unique".

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

LoL Curt ;x He should do his company a favor and talk to people as little as possible, PR is definitely not his strong suit. Copernicus might very well end up a good game, but he just made it sound like another SWTOR; WoW with an added gimmick. The difference is SWTOR at least has a beloved IP to keep it afloat, Copernicus has an author who admittedly, I quite enjoy, but is not everyone's cup of tea, yet another fantasy-themed mmo, and the producer/financer/whatever Curt is literally telling people it's not going to be anything new. All dawning in the age of the action MMO.

I will admit, it's refreshing that someone isn't trying to overplay their own game for once. In the end I'd probably take his approach over people who claim their game is more than it actually is, but just the same, he handled this incorrectly. There are better ways to phrase what he said, and that's what community managers and PR is for. Googling the various controversies of his career, the conclusion is quickly drawn that Curt doesn't do PR.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by KingGator

It sounds to me ike many of you want an mmofps....planetside 2 is coming for you. Stop trying to make mmorpgs into mmofps' that genre exist, go play it if you want the "unique" system of twitch combat and EVERYONE being dps.

Its one of the mos t tired arguments on this board. I have an idea tell me what would be new and different(with specifics) that wouldn't be an mmofps, within the frame work of an mmo describe to me what you would do to make it "unique".

No, actually what I want is DAOC 2, designed along the lines of the title back shortly after the SI expansion was released and most certainly before TOA/New Frontiers launched.

Judging from the comments in the other post about how much he doesn't care for PVP I'm not expecting it to be more than a tacked on after thought in this new title either, rather than designed around it like DAOC was.

Shame he cut his teeth on EQ rather than DAOC, perhaps we'd have gotten a different game.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by KingGator

Your argument is even more tired. MMO boards, this one and many others, are already filled with threads of mechanics long-gone or never made that still fall within the bounds of "MMO", have nothing to do with twitch-based combat, and that players would like to see. Use the search function.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."