Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Ask the Devs CBT Edition

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by ashlov71

Originally posted by orbitxo

Originally posted by ashlov71

My guild has been together since the beginning of Everquest.  We've played various games since then (EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR), and while many of our members are excited about GW2, they're concerned about the one thing that we've always enjoyed doing as a group:  raiding .  Please be so kind as to elaborate on the ways you can expect to keep guilds like ours engaged.

why?- take a number and go in groups of 5. no need to have huge  massive raids anymore other mmos have been down trhat road and look where its gotten them- heck look where is gotten your guild- youve switched 5 games already.- i find the small group dungeons welcoming!- and going back to skill system and ditching the holy trinity.

if all fails- join WvWvW...as it was meant to be!

Don't get me wrong.  I love doing 4-5 man groups.  I also enjoyed 75-man raids, 40-man raids, 10-man raids, etc.  I've known most of my guildies for over a decade, and I get a sentimental kick out of raiding with them.  I love what GW2 is doing, but I'm also curious as to what they have in mind to keep raiding guilds entertained.

Well if you and your guild expect any sort of instanced Raiding in Guild Wars 2 then you will be disappointed. The game will simply not cater to instanced Raiders or people hoping for any sort of stat-driven gear progression. Doesn't mean their won't be any large scale PvE content or extremely difficult PvE content. But the large-scale content will be primarily Open World Meta Events, that any one can simply join in, if they see it happening. The challenging content will be the 5-man Dungeons (in Explorable Mode). No raids, unless you and your guild plan on raiding keeps in World v World.

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60

If my home server is an EU server, will i be able to do WvW at all with friends on their US server or vice versa? or am i limited to the arena's with them.

Originally posted by Damon

Question 1

A potential problem some players find, once they reach a level cap in a game, is that there isn't anything new to look forward to.  Dungeons are run repeatedly in a monotonous fashion, possibly combined with a foray into PvP.  I've read a little about the dynamic events and explorable dungeons in Guild Wars 2, as well as a mention of dynamic events being part of explorable dungeons.  This sounds like a possible solution to the problem I've seen in other games.  Can you give an example of a dynamic event players would find in an explorable dungeon, and if the outcome of that dynamic event would affect the game world outside of the dungeon itself?

Here

Question 2

Part of the appeal about these game worlds, is the ability to create the look of a character to match our aesthetic desires.  The armor we piece together throughout our time in a game eventually comes together, and we want to maintain that look for the character.  However, the desire to use other armor with better stats almost always outweighs the desire to look the way we want.  For example, a Mesmer might like the design of a robe obtained at a lower level, then find an upgrade, but desire to keep the look of the previous robe.  Also, it can be annoying to equip a new upgrade, and find yourself standing next to two or three other players wearing the exact same gear, equating to a "cookie cutter" feel found in other games.  Will Guild Wars 2 address this desire for gamers to maintain their look without sacrificing stats in any way?

And Here

Questions have been answered... click the links.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

- Will all races be available in closed beta?

- Does the pre-purchase beta access give access to closed beta as well?

- Is closed beta open to all regions in the world?

- Is closed beta testing limited to certain areas/dungeons or can people access all content?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Master10K

Question 1

A potential problem some players find, once they reach a level cap in a game, is that there isn't anything new to look forward to.  Dungeons are run repeatedly in a monotonous fashion, possibly combined with a foray into PvP.  I've read a little about the dynamic events and explorable dungeons in Guild Wars 2, as well as a mention of dynamic events being part of explorable dungeons.  This sounds like a possible solution to the problem I've seen in other games.  Can you give an example of a dynamic event players would find in an explorable dungeon, and if the outcome of that dynamic event would affect the game world outside of the dungeon itself?

Here

Question 2

Part of the appeal about these game worlds, is the ability to create the look of a character to match our aesthetic desires.  The armor we piece together throughout our time in a game eventually comes together, and we want to maintain that look for the character.  However, the desire to use other armor with better stats almost always outweighs the desire to look the way we want.  For example, a Mesmer might like the design of a robe obtained at a lower level, then find an upgrade, but desire to keep the look of the previous robe.  Also, it can be annoying to equip a new upgrade, and find yourself standing next to two or three other players wearing the exact same gear, equating to a "cookie cutter" feel found in other games.  Will Guild Wars 2 address this desire for gamers to maintain their look without sacrificing stats in any way?

And Here

And further to Question 2, there is a *very* beefy dye system in the game that should pretty much ensure that you could be standing next to someone in exactly the same armor and still look quite different.  If you're interested in the aesthetics of GW2, read up about Kristen Perry's dye system.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Cash shop contents. Those that are already in and those that will be.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Are the items, obtained trough HoM, going to be for low level characters only or will some of them still be effective on high levels?

How will the overflow system work and will I be able to chat with people who are not currently on the overflow server (my guild, my friends, etc.) ?

Would there be US and EU region servers or it's going to be like GW1 so we can all play together?

You were mentioning something, a while back, that we'll be able to switch servers by only a mouse click. Is that still on or did you chage something regarding this mater?

We, at mmorpg.com forums, were discussing a lot about server population limits. How many people will a single server support?

Personal story. Is it instanced or is it guiding us trough the open world? If it's instanced, can we bring our friends with us or is it solo missions only?

Are the items obtained trough PVP different from those obtained trough PVE? What's the main difference between them?

Now this last one is a sneaky one... Can you take our money and give us the release date?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Why is Arenanet being secretive about what is in the cash shop?   I know they said nothing will be available to give you an advantage, but I think we all need clarification as to what they have decided to sell to the playerbase?

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

I know that there is only 10 buttons for skills (1 through 0),  but will we still have the ability to remap keys based on our personnal preferences?

• MutamiMutami Member UncommonPosts: 20

Why did you decide to go without mounts? I would rather mounts then portals anyday.  Mounts are awesome.  

Will there be anyform of buddy system, a system that gives you buffs when you fight along side a friend for an extended amount of time?  

Rumors of housing are going around I would like to confirm that (because that would make me less mad about the mounts lol)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by kujii

How are they going to handle the lag in wvw. It looks very similar to the fortress sieges in Aion which my friends and I found unplayable due to the lag. Also why so much carry over from Aion from the look of a lot of the animals to the bears and honey quest...seems recycled.

Same as happened in old DAoC when 300 peeps met in RvR. Best way to solve it is to draw further away characters less detailed. and an option to scale down graphics when your FPS drops to low..  This is obviously graphical; lag, there is no technical reason to have connection lag at all in these situations.

Personally i am wondering, about the mini games, how many are in this build? and what kind of games are they?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Master10K

Question 1

Here

Question 2

And Here

And further to Question 2, there is a *very* beefy dye system in the game that should pretty much ensure that you could be standing next to someone in exactly the same armor and still look quite different.  If you're interested in the aesthetics of GW2, read up about Kristen Perry's dye system.

video that explains it well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4AIDBW5L8

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by 7rouble

Why did you decide to go without mounts? I would rather mounts then portals anyday.  Mounts are awesome.  

Will there be anyform of buddy system, a system that gives you buffs when you fight along side a friend for an extended amount of time?  

Rumors of housing are going around I would like to confirm that (because that would make me less mad about the mounts lol)

Oh gosh, not yet another one....

Originally posted by RagnorMalak

- Will all races be available in closed beta?

- Does the pre-purchase beta access give access to closed beta as well?

- Is closed beta open to all regions in the world?

- Is closed beta testing limited to certain areas/dungeons or can people access all content?

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/

depends on what they want you to test.

yes.

yes.

depends on what they want you to test.

Originally posted by blaster101

I know that there is only 10 buttons for skills (1 through 0),  but will we still have the ability to remap keys based on our personnal preferences?

See this video around 3:20, it shows the key mapping options: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkxpkAILeLg

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Why is Arenanet being secretive about what is in the cash shop?   I know they said nothing will be available to give you an advantage, but I think we all need clarification as to what they have decided to sell to the playerbase?

I second this question. It's only fair that when parting with our money we know exactly what we are getting ourselves into.

That being said I, personaly, arn't concerned with this because I have played GW1 and assume they are doing something similar. It is important to some people though.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

re: out-leveling content

I didn't like how easy it was to outlevel and trivialize content in SWTOR. I hope that's handle better in GW2.

I know that if we go back to lower-level content our character is scaled to fit the content, more or less. Does that also mean if we are out-leveling content while playing it, we'll hit some max level for that area and stay there? Will all earned XP go to zero, or will we still earn XP, but just not level up? If so and when we go to the next higher area will we - because of the stored up XP - possibly immediately gain a level or three, or what happens...?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Are they planning to give aoe circles different colours besides qhite/red? Will be be able to turn them off? Right now they are a little obnoxious and ugly.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Housing hasn't been done that well in past games, but the potential is there for someone to grab it.  Do any of the devs like housing themselves?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by QSatu

Are they planning to give aoe circles different colours besides qhite/red? Will be be able to turn them off? Right now they are a little obnoxious and ugly.

Good one.  I've seen footage that showed maybe a half dozen or more friendly AoE circles on the ground, without having any indication of who was creating them.  Sometimes it might be important to know who is dropping what so you can prioritize them.  For instance, if I was running a build that concentrate heavily on conditions, I'd be on the look out for Necro condition-intensive AoEs since I would be able to play off them better than I would with say, a Guardian's skills.

It would get awfully colorful though.

• FlashTankFlashTank Member Posts: 5

What is second name of the most powerful boss in the game?

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

re: out-leveling content

I didn't like how easy it was to outlevel and trivialize content in SWTOR. I hope that's handle better in GW2.

I know that if we go back to lower-level content our character is scaled to fit the content, more or less. Does that also mean if we are out-leveling content while playing it, we'll hit some max level for that area and stay there? Will all earned XP go to zero, or will we still earn XP, but just not level up? If so and when we go to the next higher area will we - because of the stored up XP - possibly immediately gain a level or three, or what happens...?

Your level will always be scaled-down to the level of the content you are playing and you will always be rewarded based on your true level. So out-leveling content won't be an issue in GW2. Here's an example.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I want to know what steps, if any, have been made to prevent certain craft materials from being so rare and high-priced that they become the new form of currency, just as Ectoplasms became currency in GW1. 

My concern is that while it would sound like it enforces crafting, really all it did was cause people to horde the craft material in order to trade for rare weapon/armor skins later, causing prices to soar even further, enforcing "farming," and creating a plethora of other bad habits I'd like to see avoided in the fully-fledged MMO that is GW2.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Will there be a list of server names pre-launch? So that we can communicate with our friends on what server to pick.

What's the cap on a zone before creating an overflow shard? So basically, how many people can there be in the same zone (zone, not server) before another district gets created?

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Do zones have a seamless transition between each other or do we have to cross a portal and see a loading screen when we cross between zones? We haven't gotten a straight answer to this without getting a contradicting answer.