Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Tanks: Double Digit Millions Per Month

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Victor Kislyi, the CEO of Wargaming.net, has revealed that World of Tanks is making "double digit millions" per month. In addition, Kislyi reported that the team has grown to over 800 employees around the world and hinted at the WoT deployment in Vietnam, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and the Philippines. Further, Wargaming.net is considering South American and Middle Eastern releases as well.

"Ironically the game is not squeezing monetisation, it's not rough. There's no velvet rope over the gates and you have to buy a key to open it. Some MMOs are like this but we are not. It's smooth and non-intrusive," he insisted.

Read the full report at GamesIndustry.biz.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Personally, I really like this game.  It's definitely not a "standard" MMO by any means, but it is a lot of fun.  I'm still looking forward to the Air and Naval games they have planned.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

A really good game. There are some balance issues, but I am hooked anyway. I spend some money here and there, but never feel like I have to. This is the right way to do Free to Play.

• forktongueforktongue Member UncommonPosts: 23

Yes these russians have got the game mechanics perfect to make money............

Advertised the game has F2P yes its is until you reach Tier 8 then you lose money for every Win or Loss you cannot progress beyond this unless you make your account Premium which is what you have got to do to progress higher than tier 8.

Now they have introduced Tank freeze in Clan Wars which means if you die in a CW fight your tank is not playable for 170 hrs

which forces you to have at least 3 tier 10 tanks if you wish to compete has a clan in CW.

In other words if you love this game which can be very addictive then its gonna cost you lots and lots of cash for them hence double digit millions a month

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by forktongue

Yes these russians have got the game mechanics perfect to make money............

Advertised the game has F2P yes its is until you reach Tier 8 then you lose money for every Win or Loss you cannot progress beyond this unless you make your account Premium which is what you have got to do to progress higher than tier 8.

Now they have introduced Tank freeze in Clan Wars which means if you die in a CW fight your tank is not playable for 170 hrs

which forces you to have at least 3 tier 10 tanks if you wish to compete has a clan in CW.

In other words if you love this game which can be very addictive then its gonna cost you lots and lots of cash for them hence double digit millions a month

sorry to burst ur bubble but everthing past tier 7 u will lose money and yes alltough i dont like pvp i realy like this game alot, you dont need to buy gold to advance in this game (exept if u want some premium tanks that is witch make more money then regular one)

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

how is this game any different then an, all tanks, crappy version of BF3?

at least in BF3 you can blow buildings to pieces.....

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

Yea the higher levels kinda force you to buy from them else you have to go back to a lower level tank that has smaller ammo and repair bills. It really is pay to win. Yes and no.  They did a good job of drawing you in and making you want those big cool tanks that a really free to play person couldn't afford to run.

I can't see them needing alot of people to run such a simple game. After all it is just 30 tanks in a field. Over and over.

I'm interesting in seeing how thier mouse/keyboard plane game will feel. And I am really waiting for the ships.  

• Hekate27Hekate27 Member Posts: 47

No one ever forces you to pay for gold and sure if you get to tier 8 you probably need premium account to make credits to afford to progress but hey you get plenty of tank slots to play around with by the time you have 5 or 6 tier 8 tanks you should know whether or not you like the game (you will have played several thousand battles byt this stage) and if you do like it then I can assure you that paying a little money to push on will be the least of your worries.  I played about 7000 games before I ever paid for premium and I only did so because I actually really enjoyed the game and the company of my clan.  This is not to say that the game is perfect, but what game is?  The fact is that it can be really fun.

Do what thou wilt, and harm ye none. - Witches Rede

• ZerackusZerackus Member UncommonPosts: 47

8k games under my belt, and yes it's free to play and you can level all the way to the top for free, several clan members have. Buying gold to make a premium account (double credits and exp earned per battle) is all you need to make your way to the top in a semi speedy fashion. Clan Wars is loads of fun, the new French Tanks are great, and we are about to have more American tanks.

My question becomes, if the people are looking for a 100% free to play game, don't expect updates, new items, non laggy servers, with out supporting the game you play.

Zerackus the Bane
    Son of Myrkul
    Undead Lords
    www.undeadlords.net

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm 'saving my fire' until DUST comes out: the 'free to play' idea sounds similar. However, with DUST your actions have an effect on a 'permanent universe'.

However, DUST doesn't come out until summer, and it could be really bad or really good.

• forktongueforktongue Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Zerackus

8k games under my belt, and yes it's free to play and you can level all the way to the top for free, several clan members have. Buying gold to make a premium account (double credits and exp earned per battle) is all you need to make your way to the top in a semi speedy fashion. Clan Wars is loads of fun, the new French Tanks are great, and we are about to have more American tanks.

My question becomes, if the people are looking for a 100% free to play game, don't expect updates, new items, non laggy servers, with out supporting the game you play.

Hmmmnn I am sorry buddy your a liar not one of your clan members got tier 10 without premium its next to impossible to do

• ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85

Its not impossible fork. I've been playing since beta and never had a premium account. I spent some cash in order to unlock more garage slots but thats it. I have a selections of Tier 9/10 vehicles. Its quite easy to do in fact. Keep 2 tier 5 money grinders on hand and you'll never have credit problems.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

It's a fun little game to play as the occasional time filler. It's kinda on the beer & pretzels arcade style of things... but I enjoyed it for the few weeks I played.... wouldn't spend any money on it though.

It's nothing like the BF series though or any good FPS game. It's more like arcade toy-tanks, completely different feel and style of play...and no combined arms obviously...if someone is looking for an FPS style game or a grognard tactical wargame...this is definately NOT the place to look.

If you're looking for a beer n' pretzels game that can be played in 15 minute chunks and you make little toy tanks go boom..... then WoT can fill that bill (IMO).

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by forktongue

Hmmmnn I am sorry buddy your a liar not one of your clan members got tier 10 without premium its next to impossible to do

Nah.

Highest tiers should really be something exclusive and it should be even harder and their use should be even more expensive - that is the concept of the game.

Like with anything in WoT, gold is convenience and if you are decent, you can play tier 8-9 on free account just fine.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Hmm...not sure what game the rest of you are playing, but this is strictly a pay-to-win game in my book.  You either don't spend a dime and enjoy being limited or spend a lot and be competitive.  There is no inbetween in this game.  Why I stopped playing it.  

Not saying you can't have fun not spending much money, but you just can't be very competitive doing that.  If you think you can I will have to majorly disagree with you.

It is no wonder they are raking in the cash, you have to spend a decent amount per hour of play.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Hmm...not sure what game the rest of you are playing, but this is strictly a pay-to-win game in my book.  You either don't spend a dime and enjoy being limited or spend a lot and be competitive.  There is no inbetween in this game.  Why I stopped playing it.  

Not saying you can't have fun not spending much money, but you just can't be very competitive doing that.  If you think you can I will have to majorly disagree with you.

It is no wonder they are raking in the cash, you have to spend a decent amount per hour of play.

Agree completely.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Good to see Inde devs having great success.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93

and noone was mentioning the horrible matchmaking 5 artis on each side anyone?

you really begin to think that was a kid in first grade that was comming up with it!

i wish they had only one smart guy for the mm system ....

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Great game, crap MatchMaker which has been the number 1 issue since the game was developed and launched in Russia.   Without a doubt the #1 pay-to-win game on the market.

BTW I don't think the've dropped a dime of that profit back into the game.  Same game mode, few new maps and tanks.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Low tier = free fun

High tier = pay 2 win

But what is to expected? They need to make some money as the game would not make itself.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

ooh. generation FREE is speaking their mind here....as well. 

Glad to hear that you guys will work4free :)

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Sadly this shows that the Pay2Win model really works because this game is really like that.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Does Pay2Win give you real satisfaction when you win?

I'm interested to know because DUST will be "free to play" when that comes out.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I spend a penny (more like .013/hour but I round down for simplicity) an hour and im having a blast.  Nobody makes me spend said penny...I opted too

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• WigBurldWigBurld Member Posts: 14

[VIDEO] BigWorld Middleware Powering World of Tanks at GDC 2012: World of Tanks Explosive Growth, Victor's Favorite Tank - YouTube http://bgwld.co/GC4a4o