Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Ask the Devs CBT Edition

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We know that the Guild Wars 2 closed beta event will kick off prior to the end of March. Being proactive, we are putting together a slate of questions to the Arena.Net GW2 team and need YOUR input. Please submit your questions in this thread and we'll pick out the best of the best to ask the team.

Our coverage of the Guild Wars 2 beta event will hit the airwaves next week so stay tuned for the BEST coverage on the 'Net!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

How will the cosmetics work, Will it be like a seperate set that overrides the graphics of the mainset (with the stats) (like lord of the rings online). Or will it be like World of Warcrafts system of putting stats of 1 item onto the looks of another item..or totally different?

Also will there be cosmetic sets available to wear in PvP in the ingame shop or by doing quests/achievements...or are the only PvP cosmetic sets available to buy with glory?

It is no really important question, but it is one that has been haunting my dreams lately :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

what inspired them to make the WvWvW?

How do you pronounce WvWvW?

where there any game element ideas they had to discard because they were too difficult?

How many layers in the biggest dynamic event?

• BebbohBebboh Member Posts: 29

Would like to know if Guilds on GW1 can have their name reserved or could we have the ability to form up a guild before the game goes live?

• ashlov71ashlov71 Member Posts: 8

My guild has been together since the beginning of Everquest.  We've played various games since then (EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR), and while many of our members are excited about GW2, they're concerned about the one thing that we've always enjoyed doing as a group:  raiding .  Please be so kind as to elaborate on the ways you can expect to keep guilds like ours engaged.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    How much effect will the cash shop have on gameplay and the choices for moving away from simple cosmetic purchases.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• EatMyVeggiesEatMyVeggies Member Posts: 5

How is the implemented in-game mail feature going to completely replace the traditional trading system, where two players would be able to swap 2 items?

AND...  Is the market place going to completely eliminate the need for a WTS/WTB chat channel and player run shops? (if there will be any).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ashlov71

My guild has been together since the beginning of Everquest.  We've played various games since then (EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR), and while many of our members are excited about GW2, they're concerned about the one thing that we've always enjoyed doing as a group:  raiding .  Please be so kind as to elaborate on the ways you can expect to keep guilds like ours engaged.

As I see it you either will hold a keep in the mists or run the tougher large dynamic events together.

The larger DEs do have a lot in common with raids, the difference is that they scale and someone else can jump in but that does not mean that guilds wont do them together.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I would love to hear more about the crafting system and materials. Will there be rare materials and in that case will they be similar to the ones in GW?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Explain player to player trades using the mail system.  How do you ensure that you get what you wanted in return for what you offered, when the items are going out in separate mail messages?  Why is this superior to a standard trade window?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Loke666

I would love to hear more about the crafting system and materials. Will there be rare materials and in that case will they be similar to the ones in GW?

^^ This

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

why?- take a number and go in groups of 5. no need to have huge  massive raids anymore other mmos have been down trhat road and look where its gotten them- heck look where is gotten your guild- youve switched 5 games already.- i find the small group dungeons welcoming!- and going back to skill system and ditching the holy trinity.

if all fails- join WvWvW...as it was meant to be!

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by B3bb0

Would like to know if Guilds on GW1 can have their name reserved or could we have the ability to form up a guild before the game goes live?

"Can I play my original Guild Wars character in Guild Wars 2?

Guild Wars 2 is a whole new game with different professions and races, new technology, and expanded gameplay. It is not possible to directly use an original Guild Wars character.

However, your original Guild Wars character names will be reserved for your use in Guild Wars 2. The Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2 recognizes the accomplishments commemorated by your original Guild Wars characters and provides you with unique rewards to showcase those achievements."

Found this in the offical GW2 FAQ for you. ;)

• ashlov71ashlov71 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by orbitxo

why?- take a number and go in groups of 5. no need to have huge  massive raids anymore other mmos have been down trhat road and look where its gotten them- heck look where is gotten your guild- youve switched 5 games already.- i find the small group dungeons welcoming!- and going back to skill system and ditching the holy trinity.

if all fails- join WvWvW...as it was meant to be!

Don't get me wrong.  I love doing 4-5 man groups.  I also enjoyed 75-man raids, 40-man raids, 10-man raids, etc.  I've known most of my guildies for over a decade, and I get a sentimental kick out of raiding with them.  I love what GW2 is doing, but I'm also curious as to what they have in mind to keep raiding guilds entertained.

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190
    How are they going to handle the lag in wvw. It looks very similar to the fortress sieges in Aion which my friends and I found unplayable due to the lag. Also why so much carry over from Aion from the look of a lot of the animals to the bears and honey quest...seems recycled.
  • HeserHeser Member Posts: 26

Are there plans to implement additional, isometric view of the battlefield and quick replays?

It seems to me that such a view will improve the reception of the game by the audience and facilitate the work of commentators

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Will the game support international sales at launch, or will it be limited to just the US and UK? (To date SWTOR is not for sale everywhere in the world, the Caribbean for example is blocked from digital purchases.)

Will the game have built in support for remapping controls to Gamepads like the Xbox 360 gamepad on a PC. With a limited number of skills it seems that it may be possible for players so inclined to use alternative input devices. DC Heroes and Champions Online are two examples of games that can be played well with the Xbox 360 controller and configured from within the game without need of third party devices.

What sort of UI support will there be for forming groups, and for keeping those groups together across different aspects of the game. For example, as a group would we be able to see each others quests and progress in a particular area on the UI map? I don't know how travel is but could we for example call up other members to an event?

Are there instanced missions that could be scaled through manually selected difficulty levels by players? I'm thinking of the City of Heroes mission structure where there are difficulty levels which range from pretty easy for even a solo septagenarian gamer, to insanely difficult for a fully decked out team.

Style and Fashion in the cash shop, will we be able to purchase outfits? Will we get XP potions and other little gameplay boosts as well? Can we purchase power packs which will contain powers (thinking Guild Wars 1 here). 

Why can't we Fly yet. 

How often can or will events be repeated? For example if there is a gang of bandits attacking a town one morning at 8 am...and I'm around and I mosey on by and stop them. When I log back in at 8pm and go to that same area, will I be able to do that event again? Will events repeat in a particular area?

How many different paths are there through the game? If I replay the game with a different character (Alts) can I reasonably select new quests and experience different content to make it through the various areas in the game? 

How are rewards at the end of Dungeons handled? Does each participant get their own rewards (DDO), or are rewards shared and rolled on (Warcraft, Rift etc.)? 

In PVP combat will opponents be able to do jumpyjumpyfigureeights through other characters? Do characters have collision detection to prevent this? Is there an Auto-face option where you will turn to face your opponent, negating the benefit of running straight through someone then quickly turning to attack their back? 

Do you get positional bonuses to attacks, such as behind, flanking etc.? 

What UI and game world features does Guild Wars 2 have to support Roleplay? 

One server, one world? Or several servers (Warcraft), or several servers with instanced zones (SWTOR)?

Do you have Social Media integration as with Rift? Linking to Twitter, Facebook and more importantly YouTube so that players can record and post screenshots or 10 minute videos?

Can we scan an in-game Wiki for information about the game? 

Does the game UI support survey questions from the Developers to crowd source solutions or opinion from a wider cross section of players other than Forums/email etc. ?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

All I want to know are "what are the improvements they've made between the previous press beta event and this March beta event?"

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Do they plan to introduce a match making system for organized pvp at some point, ala FPS games?

What kind of pvp stats are they keeping track of?

Can we get more info on the cash shop, how is it different from GW1's cash shop?

Are there any plans to provide controller support at release or in the future?

Thanks MMORPG.com!

• Is cooking currently in game?  Can we get some examples of what can be made and what benefits food provides?

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

There are currently only 8 professions in game at launch. Have you held some back? for future exspansion... i.e a vampire profession as I think its very popular among fans.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

What I would like to know is the following:

We already know that Guild Halls will be coming back for the guilds again but will they work the same way like in GW 1?

- Will guildies be able to have training sessions in the hall or a training room?

- Will we be able to hire NPCs for our guild hall and have a storage room for each player OR/AND a guild storage?

- Will we be able to maybe expand our guild hall adding like a crafting room or a garden (harvesting materials by growing plants) among others?

It was said that housing will exist in the game and will be added after the release took place,

- will we be able to build up or expand our homes and if yes then in what ways?

- will friends be able to visit us or even be able to use our home if we allow them too even we aren't there(like sharing a home for RP reasons by being partners, family and so on...)?

About Guilds:

- will we have to reach a certain level to be able to create one or we will need only the materials like in GW1?

- how many players will a guild be able to hold this time(limit)?

Servers:

- will the channels system come back like in GW 1 so we can play together with our friends from allover the world OR will there be different servers from which one will have to decide or be restricted  to join like EU, NA, KR Server(I really hope not)?

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Will there be regional lock or will US and EU play together?
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

- How much in terms of esport part of PvP can we expect from the release? Will there be spectator mode allowing for easy live casting the games?

- With GW2 getting official forum and more official ste-centered community building, will there be webtools for rakings, WvWvW statistics, current server-boons, etc?

- How will player crafted items compare to big event rewards/hard mode dungeons? 

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Will there be a limit on how many players a guild can have?

Any more info on how will the multiple guilds system work?

Will we be able to create guild alliances like in GW1?

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

Question 1

A potential problem some players find, once they reach a level cap in a game, is that there isn't anything new to look forward to.  Dungeons are run repeatedly in a monotonous fashion, possibly combined with a foray into PvP.  I've read a little about the dynamic events and explorable dungeons in Guild Wars 2, as well as a mention of dynamic events being part of explorable dungeons.  This sounds like a possible solution to the problem I've seen in other games.  Can you give an example of a dynamic event players would find in an explorable dungeon, and if the outcome of that dynamic event would affect the game world outside of the dungeon itself?

Question 2

Part of the appeal about these game worlds, is the ability to create the look of a character to match our aesthetic desires.  The armor we piece together throughout our time in a game eventually comes together, and we want to maintain that look for the character.  However, the desire to use other armor with better stats almost always outweighs the desire to look the way we want.  For example, a Mesmer might like the design of a robe obtained at a lower level, then find an upgrade, but desire to keep the look of the previous robe.  Also, it can be annoying to equip a new upgrade, and find yourself standing next to two or three other players wearing the exact same gear, equating to a "cookie cutter" feel found in other games.  Will Guild Wars 2 address this desire for gamers to maintain their look without sacrificing stats in any way?