Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Ghostcrawler Talks Mists of Pandaria

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

While at Blizzard HQ in Irvine, California we talked to Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street about all the new features coming to Mists of Pandaria and what players can expect in this new expansion.  Click through to hear the whole interview, and read a summary.

Listen to all of Bill Murphy's Interview with Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Farming? As in farming vegetables?

If its true than we'll be seeing player housing very soon ......

RIP Orc Choppa

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    I don't think WOW will do it anytime soon, maybe in a year or 4 lol.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Too little too late. While Kung Fu Panda came after WoW's own Panda race, the fact the game took a turn for the casual worse is enough for me to say NO to anymore WoW expansions.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Found this bit of info.

Mists of Pandaria Press Tour

>Scenarios will take place at level 90, in an instance, and reward reputation and Valor points. They don't need a healer, tank, and DPS, just DPS is fine. Each will take 10 to 30 minutes to complete and five or more will be available for launch.

very intersting.

<.<

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Things wow needs: Major zone events like rift that happen in a real time frame (you must do it NOW or you lose them) and involve a lot of players (they come close to it with open pvp zones, they could try it with pve, like rift does), de events like gw2, that take away the feeling of going on rails of a traditional quest system and, above all, a robust sidekicking system that  stops content from becoming obsolete once your character outlevels it (i honestly cant understand how this doesnt trouble  them at all. All the work put on those magnificent levelling zones wasted once youve done them. They could learn a thing or two from GW2 , city of heroes or EQ2,  to name just a few)

It isnt just a matter of adding a gimmick or too. If you want to keep wow fresh, changes must be made to the core system, and that includes questing , crafting ( a total borefest, even if its useful sometimes) and social. And no, i am not asking for player housing.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by orbitxo

Found this bit of info.

>Scenarios will take place at level 90, in an instance, and reward reputation and Valor points. They don't need a healer, tank, and DPS, just DPS is fine. Each will take 10 to 30 minutes to complete and five or more will be available for launch.

very intersting.

<.<

NOW he figures out the trinity doesn't work well? After YEARS of taking people's money he finally sees the problem. Does anyone else see the stupidity in this?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by freston

Things wow needs: Major zone events like rift that happen in a real time frame (you must do it NOW or you lose them) and involve a lot of players (they come close to it with open pvp zones, they could try it with pve, like rift does), de events like gw2, that take away the feeling of going on rails of a traditional quest system and, above all, a robust sidekicking system that  stops content from becoming obsolete once your character outlevels it (i honestly cant understand how this doesnt trouble  them at all. All the work put on those magnificent levelling zones wasted once youve done them. They could learn a thing or two from GW2 , city of heroes or EQ2,  to name just a few)

It isnt just a matter of adding a gimmick or too. If you want to keep wow fresh, changes must be made to the core system, and that includes questing , crafting ( a total borefest, even if its useful sometimes) and social. And no, i am not asking for player housing.

you know, they had their chance at giving players who requested things like DE's and chronicles, and they blew it and now since competitors (who happen to be previous disgruntled blizzard employees most of them) are making a huge success off of their own ideas Blizzard is scrambling to make amends to their playerbase who are now pointing out to them what these other games are doing and asking, Why isn't that in WoW and why hasn't it ever been added to any expansion all this time?

they are killing themselves it's only a matter of time i agree. Gimmicks aren't going to save this elephant in the room.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i sense a big storm heading towards Azeroth for a wipe and it isnt Garrosh....more like Anet.

<.<

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Farmville! 

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

I really like old wow. I don't see how this is anything more than PR spinning the game, it's not going towards vanilla standards. It's just progressing on it's own.

If you looked at the game, never knowing anything about the game, it's history and so forth

I WOULD THINK THIS IS F2P.

I mean if I was Metzen or Kotick I would be like:

"WTF with this budget this is the BEST you can come with?! No wonder 600 people got the axe!".

Sic Luceat Lux

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by orbitxo

Found this bit of info.

very intersting.

<.<

NOW he figures out the trinity doesn't work well? After YEARS of taking people's money he finally sees the problem. Does anyone else see the stupidity in this?

Now how did you get that out of the qoute? It has more to do with the fact that on any given day DPS outnumbers Tanks and Healers by a good amount. So it would be stupid to try and make a casual event and still force people to wait for a tank and a healer... Just saying.. you know...

This have been a good conversation

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

looking forward for all these changes. Havent resubbed to WoW in months waiting for MoP. For now im really considering a couple of months in Swtor (after patch 1.2 is deployed) while MoP and GW2 finally release....

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think there may be quite a few people that have no interest playing a panda.  I play the humanoid races almost exclusively...humans, elves and sometimes dwarfs.  The only exception was a rat person (ratonga) in EQ2.  For some reason I was intrigued.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

The only way I'd buy Pandaria is I'm allowed to play a Human Monk, and start off in the Pandaria starting zone. If not, I'm not bothering, because I don't want to play a teddy bear and I don't want to repeat the same content for the gazzillionth time.

I never understood why they didn't allow for other races to play through the new racial starting areas from Cataclysm.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by nate1980

The only way I'd buy Pandaria is I'm allowed to play a Human Monk, and start off in the Pandaria starting zone. If not, I'm not bothering, because I don't want to play a teddy bear and I don't want to repeat the same content for the gazzillionth time.

I never understood why they didn't allow for other races to play through the new racial starting areas from Cataclysm.

Er thats easy to solve. Get into a rank 25 guild roll your human monk then ask someone from your guild or who is in a rank 25 and a friend to summon you to the panda starting zone.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I can't grasp how he thinks the talent system will be more versatile or not cookie cutter.  There are so few talents now you can bet there will be tons of people with the exact same build.  There will be perferred builds that you won't be able to raid unless you have them.  No different than before except that the choices are drastically limited compared to the original design.

It certainly does not  make me want to resub with this talent design.  

Personally they just want everything in Wow to be simple.  I just don't see any challenge in the game anymore.  It is designed now so that morons will have no trouble with it and this new expansion will make an extremely simple game even simpler.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I can't grasp how he thinks the talent system will be more versatile or not cookie cutter.  There are so few talents now you can bet there will be tons of people with the exact same build.  There will be perferred builds that you won't be able to raid unless you have them.  No different than before except that the choices are drastically limited compared to the original design.

Personally they just want everything in Wow to be simple.  I just don't see any challenge in the game anymore.  It is designed now so that morons will have no trouble with it and this new expansion will make an extremely simple game even simpler.

I would be concerned about anyone who would subscribe to a game just for a talent system.  Secondly people who think the game is easy and "claim" they like things hard need to go kill the current raid content in heroic mode and Ill toss in gold medal challenge clear.  The good thing about this game now is yes the base level content is easy which is the right way a business of gaming should be.  The hard stuff is there people just forget about it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Love wow and loved also Cata, leveled all my 10 alts to max ... but as goes for end game in sense of 5-man I lost all interest. As goes for me, Wotlk keept me in for half year after leveling all to max. Here I was gooner after 2 months of pure frustrations of all genre (to hard, to easy, a..holes that want timed hc while they have no requisites, ....). Then have played a lot Rift and now since release Swtor which will keep me busy I guess for next half year at least. Then will do detour to Rift. Bad for wow is now there are 2 incredible games out there that were not present short ago. Will they again listen in Pandria to VOCAL Minority of as...holes? Who knows. Enjoyed so much wow so far that for sure would not like it goes down ... but so far it does not look good. Be it for many mistakes they did, be it for many great new games out there.

Btw: as for new talen tree this could be MAJOR failure. I already hate it with every bit of my gamer soul. MORE talent points needed NOT less. i do not care if I have to put 5 points in something as long as i get them EVERY DAMN LEVEL. Getting some cookie after every leveling up is what makes game fun, not waiting i.e. 10 level.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Hmm.. par of comment looks gone, trying again: about new talent tree this, IMO, will be MAJOR FAILURE. Very very very bad decision. I do not care If i have to put 5 points in something as long as I'm getting something EVERY LEVEL!!! That is fun, not waiting 10 or 15 levels to get something colossal. I'm sure however somebody will love it that way .... but time will show if this alone will lower sub rates even more.

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Wicoa

I would be concerned about anyone who would subscribe to a game just for a talent system.  Secondly people who think the game is easy and "claim" they like things hard need to go kill the current raid content in heroic mode and Ill toss in gold medal challenge clear.  The good thing about this game now is yes the base level content is easy which is the right way a business of gaming should be.  The hard stuff is there people just forget about it.

The "hard" content is not as difficult as you think. The only hard part is having a well-coordinated raiding guild, after you have one you just gear up and then do hard modes. If you don't have such a guild then good luck, no amount of skill will make you do the hard mode.

WoW's raids are more about time investment than skill, the guides that the pros write prove that as they are focused on what talents, gear, gems and enchants you should have instead of focusing on you playing your character. These guides only devote a few sentences in actual gameplay, and those sentences are about your rotations.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Im so glad I have an account on MMORPG.COM now, so that I can respond to things like this. 

WoW is on the decline.  Blizzard polishing a turd is still a turd.  As much as they try to make the textures Hi-Rez, or add scenarios, or whatever...which all sounds very appealing, Im afraid the damage has been done and it is too late.

So many games are ahead of the curve, and ahead of Blizzard in terms of content, and what people really want in MMOS, it is scary.  People, even raiders, want more than the Dallies/faction grind/pvp/raiding/heroic monotony.  I left WoW in November, and I still keep in touch with my guild.  They log into WoW to raid, and that is it.  Adding Pet battles and a scenario will get old after 5 months, and they will be back to logging in for raids.  Blizzard does raiding very well, but nothing else. 

I just find it so amazingly black and white, the difference in terms of game design, direction, and responsiveness to customer feedback Blizzard compared to other Developers (Trion, ArenaNet, even Bioware).  It takes Blizzard 7 years to add scenarios into the game?  7 years of the same heroics/raids/pvp BS?  It took them 7 years to figure out that people want more?  It took them 5-7 years to figure out that people want to explore the world again?  Since BC, people have been stuck in the high level zones, and major cities, forgetting that two entire continents exist with no reason to go back to them.  It took them 7 years to impliment a system that will ultimately lead to player housing in a few years(farms)?  They are so behind everyone and so slow to develop content that people really want.  Instead, they gave us transmogging, LFR...what a joke.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Originally posted by Wicoa

I wonder if you ever raided in TBC or Vanilla.  That was true raiding.  The game was actually difficult then.  In TBC, they had somewheres around 9 mil subs, and the game had flavor, it was awsome.  Guilds got stuck on Alar or Kael.  Those were true boss fights.  My point is, Blizzard did not need to create a hard mode for these fights, because they were actually difficult and raiding meant something.

If you tried your hat at raiding, and succeeded, it really felt like you accomplished something.  Now, the content is stupidly easy(leveling, dallies, and raiding) that ANYONE can do it(by design now) so it feels less rewarding.  Why should I have to re-do the darn raid on hard mode, just to be challanged?  The definition of a raid is (non verbadum) "Harder content that is not solable and requires a group".  It does not say "Anyone can form a group and blow through the raid in 3 hours".

Raiding is meant to be hard, and Blizzard fails at this now.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Next expansion will contain 90% GW2 features.

But WoW is already losing ground so fast it will not take long before this man named Ghostcrawler might be looking for a new employer.

Never ever expected that i would have quit WoW after 6 or 7 years.

But to all good things comes an end.

The heroic raids are still challenging and alot of what is said is opinion not fact.  This is my "opinion".

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94

Cockfighting !!???!

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."