Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances: RTSGuru Previews C&C in Your Browser

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

RTSGuru editors have prepared a preview of Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances to let you know if the browser MMORTS is one to watch for. Check it out at RTSGuru.com.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

I was interested up until the part about being a browser-based game. I'll take a pass.

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

I thought I would like it, but it follows the same Pay 2 Win as all of the other RTS Browser games.  The more money you put it, the faster you build, bigger you get armies etc.

If they could just use another payment model where everyone is on an equal playing field these games would be really enjoyable.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I have been pretty suprised at what browser games can do now.  As far as P2P I would be okay with it if it offered cosmetics or other "convenience" items that didn't impact outcomes of combat.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Lost me at Browser RTS.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

soo whats the differance between this and say oh... CnC Tib multiplayer??? apart from the persistance.... i dont really.. understand what they hope to achive with this game... the last few CnC's have been nothing but horrid jokes of a great title..now this :/ 

whats next a WoW browser game? :/ 

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

Was really looking forward to CnC, too bad its another browser game that will go no where.

ya no kidding.. just look at CoH online.. that game barely left beta before THQ killed it.. i cant see CnC playing out in a browser without insulting long time players.. a newb who has never played CnC1 or RA 1 before in their life might love it.. but as an old timer who loved CnC (tho i sucked at it) and CnC RA .... i cant stand this new browser idealogy games are taking now ><"

browsers do not make a game accessable.. only cheap and farmville-ish

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

EA can go whore the c&c franchise name all they want but I wont be fooled. They totally insulted and wrecked the franchise with T-Twilight and they will never get another dime of my money.

If they had any decency in them,they would give us a real finale for the Kane-GDI saga, not this crap. As for the next generals game,well, I imagine thats just their way of ducking & dodging , back-pedalling even,to try and get some of the fans back. Until or unless they make that t-twilight debacle right by giving us a true finale,or they can let the franchise R.I.P

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

No interest in a browser game.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I lost all interest in C&C line since EA killed westwood

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I played it for a bit, and I think EA should be ASHAMED for putting the Command & Conquer name on this, in the same way they should be for Lords of Ultima. Both games have the absolute minimal amount of tie-in with their parent franchise, and are complete and utter pay to win anus scum.

Fuck you, EA.

having read this off their own review of the game... i dont think ill ever touch this game with even a 90' pole.... social play.... Ipads.... those are not game terms those are FB games... AKA farmville.. AKA takes 1 month to pick your nose or you can pay 10 USD to pay to have it picked for you..... thats not a game and that sure as hell is not a RTS...  while i do dabble with  "games" on my cell phone they are stupid platform jumpers when i cant access my pc. none of them would i consider an actual game like i would DoW or SC or BF... 

"It takes a brave developer to make social play the centerpiece of their product these days, but with the browser-based platform, it call comes part and parcel of the package - and even in these early stages players are encouraged and can find others to play with, and with the inclusion of a chat channel, this will become even easier.

This isn't to say however the entire experience will require constant assistance, and with a mission system the game will always throw up solo challenges. Though mostly tutorial in tone at the moment, the quests given will direct a player’s attention to certain landmarks and activities, as well as throwing up distraction and giving context to actions. Within the next few updates the developers hope to give this system more "C&C-ness" by adding in better storylines, as well as fleshing out the narrative which takes place between the 2nd and 3rd game.

Utilizing EA's Play4Free system, Tiberium Alliances will also have the advantage of attracting certain gamers unwilling to pay for a subscription fee - the caveat of this being a cash shop. Addressing concerns about paid-for advantage Martin explains "while players can buy resources, there is a cap, so this won't be a matter of who has the bigger wallet. Spending a little money might help in the short term, but playing the game will give them the advantage."

With the successful Lord of Ultima to draw upon, Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances is in a safe pair of hands. Already the game is a surprisingly addictive and enjoyable experience, and easily worthy of the series' legacy.

Phenomic is planning on supporting the game like any MMO developer would, so players will never be short of new things to see and do - and while we are still in the beta, things are already looking bright.

Integration with tablets and smartphones is still in its infancy, but iPads, iPhones and powerful Androids are all being looked at, meaning that this will truly be the first MMORTS that can be played "anywhere, anytime, and on any platform." Watch this space for more as the game launches later this year.

• zastroph2zastroph2 Member Posts: 8

This game is pathetic, so much so that it should not have the name they gave it!

For starters, base building is painfully slow. Evey time you do anything, it adds to the time required before you can do anything else! (edited to add the following) Top this off with the need to constantly, manually collect resources that your harvesters are processing!

Combat is not worth calling it combat, you select a horizontal position to place your units. They then proceed up the screen untill they encounter an enemy of some type, or the top of the screen. This is topped off by the fact that combat has a timer on it, so if your unit hapens to encounter something, once the timer is up, you are removed from any further combat. Also, to continue from the same point, you have to wait 2 minutes, before you start from the bottom of the screen again.

End result is a very childish type game that is very boring, or as I already said PATHETIC!!!

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

If I was a fan of the C&C franchise I would probably be disappointed too (but then arent you used to dissapointment?), because naturally I would be expecting a RTS game. This is not RTS in any form, this is a MMO browser strategy game. Fans of C&C would have some pretty high expectations which is somewhat counterproductive in this case, they would expect a game like the ones they know and love, and this is not like that.

Personally I grew out of C&C after Tiberium sun, the only reason why I played that as long as I did was because it was fun to mod. But I am a strategy freak and despite most of browser based strategy games being shamelessly pay-2-win I enjoy them, they are easy to get into and for no money, they are quite a bit of free fun. Tiberium Alliances is definately one of the best browser strategy games I have played. Hell, Id go so far to call it THE best.

Lets not compare this game to other C&C titles, that is rather unfair because its a different genre, lets compare it to games in the same genre. Games like Travian and Heroes of might and magic online, these games mostly dont even have proper combat, you send your army, battle is resolved on the server and you get a report, its just building shit, gathering resources, farming NPCs, occasionally attacking another player and massive amounts of waiting for stuff to finish. You can cry farmville all you want, this game actually has proper strategy involved. Setting up offense, setting up defense, optimizing your resource production, player factions, diplomacy, war! Its everything I ever wanted a browser strategy game to be.

Sadly, the payment method is the same as in all the other browser games. Phenomic could easily have managed to pull off a balanced system for convienience items only, like increased capacities of command points, resource storage, bonus resource slots, repair time etc. You can do most of that, but you can also buy resources and the big issue: buy command points. They stated that they wanted a balanced system to allow a player with less time to still be competitive with players with more time. Currently I can double the amount of command points I have available a day if I spend money on the game. That means that I could attack twice as much as someone who doesnt pay. That is not balanced. All browser games have this issue, but I had hoped this one would be different because it really is the best Ihve played.

Originally posted by zastroph2

This game is pathetic, so much so that it should not have the name they gave it!

For starters, base building is painfully slow. Evey time you do anything, it adds to the time required before you can do anything else! (edited to add the following) Top this off with the need to constantly, manually collect resources that your harvesters are processing!

Combat is not worth calling it combat, you select a horizontal position to place your units. They then proceed up the screen untill they encounter an enemy of some type, or the top of the screen. This is topped off by the fact that combat has a timer on it, so if your unit hapens to encounter something, once the timer is up, you are removed from any further combat. Also, to continue from the same point, you have to wait 2 minutes, before you start from the bottom of the screen again.

End result is a very childish type game that is very boring, or as I already said PATHETIC!!!

Ok where to begin. manual collection of resources is a bonus. Harvesters have a passive gathering rate and a bonus. To collect the bonus you need to click it, once you are a little higher level you will get a larger bonus much less often, so as an example my level 15 powerplants gives me 5k power per/hour and every 12 hours I can collect a bonus which is about 4 hours of normal production. This is to reward a player that log in often, it is fine. Learn2play.

Base building is slow? Are you sitting at your computer playing this game for hours just staring at the screen? are you a monkey? Upgrading and building is instant, resources gathering is not. Go outside and play in the sun for a few hours, go back inside, build stuff, attack stuff and repeat.

Combat is the best Ihve seen in any browser game, if you find it boring than perhaps strategy is not really your thing.

• zastroph2zastroph2 Member Posts: 8

I have been playing computer games since 1982, so am used to a computer game where you are actually at the computer playing, not meandering around outside, waiting for a predetermined amount of time to pass! If you like this game, fantastic, go ahead and play it, but it's just not for me, I'm way too impatient! I would probably have enjoyed it more except for the weird combat where you partially attack something, then wait 2 minutes befor you can attack again! Maybe I have ADHD!!!

Originally posted by zastroph2

I have been playing computer games since 1982, so am used to a computer game where you are actually at the computer playing, not meandering around outside, waiting for a predetermined amount of time to pass! If you like this game, fantastic, go ahead and play it, but it's just not for me, I'm way too impatient! I would probably have enjoyed it more except for the weird combat where you partially attack something, then wait 2 minutes befor you can attack again! Maybe I have ADHD!!!

Lol, maybe you do. I can see though how C&C fans would trash this game, browser strategy games have more in common with turn based strategy than RTS. Everyone seems to call it an MMORTS and it really is not. I dont even think phenomic calls it that.