Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Written World Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Written World is not your run of the mill MMO. As the name implies, story is the key ingredient. We've got a first-look preview of The Written World, something that storytellers and fans of lore will definitely want to check out.

Uniquely referred to as a Massively Multiplayer Online Write ‘Em Up, the groundwork for The Written World was first laid five years ago.  It was back then that Simon Fox, the taller half of Playlab London, ran a writing group with friends exploring the act of collaborative story-telling.  Having all played Dungeons and Dragons for years, they discovered something rather interesting when trying to have two people author a story together.  Whilst two people working on a block of text frequently stalled, as soon as people got together and focused on building worlds instead, then their ability to populate them with stories became much greater.

Read more Luke Karmali's The Written World Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

sounds like an interesting idea.

I've got the straight edge.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Nice to see there some actual creativiity out there somewhere, some people trying to do somethiing different!

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Oh god, as a writer you have no idea how badly I want to play this game.

Smile

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just reading the encounter box on chapter one shows the problems with this.  The paragraph (Its ordinary....) decribing the encounter is some of the worst English I have seen in a game.  So you will get some good stuff and a lot of bad stuff with this.  

I wish them luck, but this is not something a writer would want to fool with in my mind.

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

I'm interested to see how this progresses.

One of life's lil hand grenades

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

@Ozmodan:

That is the brilliance of it though... if you see a good premise being poorly executed, just branch it and run with it yourself... Or join in as an additional protagonist...

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Suzie...you are an MMO bloodhound. When it comes to MMO news, you can find anything for us.  image

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    It's nothing for me at the moment, but the idea is certainly interesting. Will keep an eye on it to see how it develops further.
  • DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96

This looks absolutely amazing! I'm really looking forward to this now. I hadn't heard of this before the article but I'll be sure to follow it now.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Suzie...you are an MMO bloodhound. When it comes to MMO news, you can find anything for us.  image

Agree, good find.