Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera FFA Partial Loot Server

2»

Comments

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Jail system won't work because its down time from a game. the last thing you want to do as a mmorpg is to keep people from playing. Also because no play belong to 1 speicaly zone, you can't really claim any right to jail them.

This style of thinking has killed so many games before it. How can it be considered downtime from a game, when that system is apart of that game. Your still partaking in that game, more so through the jailing system.

People fail at thinking logically. If you go out and PK someone, the person you PKed you are directly influencing there gameplay and taking away there time. If you enter a group and then drop that group halfway through a dungeon, you are taking away the time of not only one person but 4 other people. The jailing system would only effect people that PK regurlarly that deserve to be jailed in the first place for doing exactly what your arguing about, interrupting other players game time.

If I was a PKer and I wasn't jailed  or put ont he list to be jailed, I would feel that I wasn't doing my job to its fullest. Where as If I was a Vanarch and there were PKers running rampant I wouldnt feel like I was doing my job to its fullest.

Yes you can claim right. Tera has a full on political system. When someone claims power, they become a Vanarch. That Vanarch claims power over a specific region. If you outlaw in that Vanarchs region then he is given the right to place a bounty on your head in his area.

It works the same as the real world bud, if you go to Korea and commit a crime. You will be arrested in that particular area. But if you move to America before your caught, you wont be convicted by the american government. But Korea can negotiate with America to have you arrested there as well.

Its not broke down by zones, its broke down by regions.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

There are lots of ways to deal with a PvP partial loot server.

Will there be a flagging system for PKs?  The more you kill players, the more "red" you get and the more loot you drop when killed?

There needs to be punitive measures for senseless "ganking" for the server to survive.

Anyways, I voted yes.  I honestly don't want to play this game against A.I.  I want to play it against other players.

But TERA needs to implement in a way that does the system justice.

A jail system may or may not work.  Will there be bail?  How boring will jail time be?  There are better ways to punish serial PKers surely.

This debate has raged on forever, about the best way to implement a PvP loot server.  But in any variation, I support it.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

The good news is that you are more likely to get that FFA server than you ever will see an in depth pvp game where the same handful of races and classes don't just beat each other up in a corn field somewhere. 

I for one am tired of fighting toons that are a copy of mine.  Tired of lazy developers and the lack of imagination on the players who play  these games and who make them.  But meh, I played Dark Age of Camelot and I was spoiled with 3 factions, 44 classes, and 24 races.  Compared to that, games like Tera look like a quarter in the slot at the arcade type of game.  Welcome to the age of the E-Sport.

Yeah - I hope you get your FFA server because at least then it will make the game slightly different than the copy paste theme parks that exist.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Vunak23

Jail system won't work because its down time from a game. the last thing you want to do as a mmorpg is to keep people from playing. Also because no play belong to 1 speicaly zone, you can't really claim any right to jail them.

This style of thinking has killed so many games before it. How can it be considered downtime from a game, when that system is apart of that game. Your still partaking in that game, more so through the jailing system.

People fail at thinking logically. If you go out and PK someone, the person you PKed you are directly influencing there gameplay and taking away there time. If you enter a group and then drop that group halfway through a dungeon, you are taking away the time of not only one person but 4 other people. The jailing system would only effect people that PK regurlarly that deserve to be jailed in the first place for doing exactly what your arguing about, interrupting other players game time.

If I was a PKer and I wasn't jailed  or put ont he list to be jailed, I would feel that I wasn't doing my job to its fullest. Where as If I was a Vanarch and there were PKers running rampant I wouldnt feel like I was doing my job to its fullest.

Yes you can claim right. Tera has a full on political system. When someone claims power, they become a Vanarch. That Vanarch claims power over a specific region. If you outlaw in that Vanarchs region then he is given the right to place a bounty on your head in his area.

It works the same as the real world bud, if you go to Korea and commit a crime. You will be arrested in that particular area. But if you move to America before your caught, you wont be convicted by the american government. But Korea can negotiate with America to have you arrested there as well.

Its not broke down by zones, its broke down by regions.

Problem is that means your detering people from pvping, so if you pk you get thrown in jail. Why would anyone pk any more? Also what to prevent total abuse of the system? You know the police don't threaten to throw you in jail because there is a higher power manging it and that higher power is in a check and balance system with other higher power. None of that exist in Tera, its just asking for total abuse.

Originally posted by Comaf

The good news is that you are more likely to get that FFA server than you ever will see an in depth pvp game where the same handful of races and classes don't just beat each other up in a corn field somewhere. 

I for one am tired of fighting toons that are a copy of mine.  Tired of lazy developers and the lack of imagination on the players who play  these games and who make them.  But meh, I played Dark Age of Camelot and I was spoiled with 3 factions, 44 classes, and 24 races.  Compared to that, games like Tera look like a quarter in the slot at the arcade type of game.  Welcome to the age of the E-Sport.

Yeah - I hope you get your FFA server because at least then it will make the game slightly different than the copy paste theme parks that exist.

You also have to consider the fact that programing more race and class for those older game are lot easier. You want to image the amount of work it would to balance the classes in 3D enviorment? And come up model and animation for 24 race and 44 class? No game made to today standard can have that many class or race unless they spend as much time and money blizzard did on SC2. (ok that much time not sure about money) Its simply not logical to do it with the way games currently is.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

The only way that they get me to play in this type of server if my ping is consistently at 50 ms.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Antarious

I doubt that I would.   However, if there is enough interest for a server like that... obviously I think it would be a good thing if the developers support it.

Having a choice to play on a server type.. is just that a choice.

The only real issue would be if long term interest was not enough.   Simply because at some point the server would face a merger and then lose its rule set.

The only way *I* would ever play a loot on death MMO again... would be if it was very similar to Ultima Online.   Meaning that knowing how the game works has more effect on combat... then being a lemming that can follow a group/raid through content for the "I win" gear.

Along with a crafting system like UO... where I could fully craft all my own gear and have multiple kits in my bank.. just like UO.

Games with a design like Tera in my opinion don't really support "loot on death".   So that's why *I* wouldn't play there but as I said... I don't have any objection if the devs decide to open such a server.  (I would think it was great for the people who wanted it).

I agree with this.  Full or partial loot on death in a PvP game isn't the type of thing you tack on at the end of development.  The entire game has be designed with that in mind.  If it is, they're just asking for disaster.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Comaf

You also have to consider the fact that programing more race and class for those older game are lot easier. You want to image the amount of work it would to balance the classes in 3D enviorment? And come up model and animation for 24 race and 44 class? No game made to today standard can have that many class or race unless they spend as much time and money blizzard did on SC2. (ok that much time not sure about money) Its simply not logical to do it with the way games currently is.

What does class balance have to do with 2D or 3D?  Balancing 44 classes is a pain in the rear no matter how pretty the graphics are.  You can cut down on the number of races if you want to limit the number of textures you want to draw.

I think game companies cut down on the number of classes simply because it was too hard to differentiate them enough to justify their existance.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

Although a nice idea , theres not a chance in hell that it will ever happen .

A pipe dream is all it is.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by dave6660

What does class balance have to do with 2D or 3D?  Balancing 44 classes is a pain in the rear no matter how pretty the graphics are.  You can cut down on the number of races if you want to limit the number of textures you want to draw.

I think game companies cut down on the number of classes simply because it was too hard to differentiate them enough to justify their existance.

Balacning how skill work in a 3D enviorment is completely different from how it would work in a 2D enviroment.

Animation also takes much more effert in 3D compare to 2D

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I suppose I should have made it clearer in the original post. But there is already a flaggin system in place with Tera, that could easily be manipulated for this server set. When you PK someone you obtain infamy points. The more you PK the more infamy points you get.

This infamy system could be manipulated to allow those who have a higher infamy rating to drop more then what they already do. But since you already looting everything in the backpack I don't see what else could be done aside from equiped items. I liked this system in L2, but I don't think it would work in Tera, because the world isnt as open.

The jailing system as it was in place before was a 5-10 minute 'time-out' with you having the option of breaking out of jail. I suppose a bail out system could be put in place pretty easily as well. But you weren't just automaticly placed in jail either, you had to be caught.

The incentive to go out and PK is the people you kill, you are getting everything in there backpack. There have been lesser incentives in games to go out and PK in the past that worked perfectly fine. In this you would have a definitive risk/reward in place.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• wewterwewter Member Posts: 19

L2 did it best imo, and it could be a system relatively-easily implemented in TERA.  Karma system for flagging, can work off karma by killing mobs or by killing yourself (guildies killing u) - karma stacks over time so you can't just do it and do it, but you'd need a way to reduce your pk count so that you didn't have perma-reds ...  Characters w/ too much karma would have a chance to drop a random item for inventory/gear.

Granted I do agree that L2 areas seemed to be pretty expansive, but I haven't played through all of the zones in TERA so can't speak to the feasibility of such a system working. 

Chalk it up to:  Maybe?   it would be fun imo

Past [MMO] Games: Lineage 2 (quit c5), Aion, RIFT, SWTOR
    Current[MMO] Game(s): TERA
    Future [MMO] Game(s): ArcheAge, Blade/Soul