Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free To Play Weekend

Comments

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by DaRoamer

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Who cares how many subs the game has, so long as the game is not dead and I have people to party with then I am happy as are a ton of others.

Many of the servers are so empty their isnt anyone to party with :(

They refuse to merge servers or even discuss the problem.

Yeah, I do not think things are going nearly so well as the fanbots think.

EA/BW has also been sending out "What can we do to get you back?" emails, and that is not a good thing for a game not 3 months past release.

Take off the tin foil hat. EVERY company does this.  Let's play that game again.  SWTOR launches and has 5 million subs in 2 months, but 1 million more people quit after the first month.  So in your opinion, since they have 5 million, they shouldn't do anything to try to get those 1 million people to resub? The game is successful "enough", right?  Can you give me your opinion on at what point the game is successful enough they no longer need to try to get back people who have quit?

Facebook must be almost in the tank, I get emails from them every week saying "You can't logged in in a while, come back!".  Talk about desperation.

Name any other MMO that did this within 3 months of launch.. wait, you can't.

Aion - Launched in NA is Sept 2009, had a free trial in Dec.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/78642

Rift - Launched in Mar 2011, had a free trial week in May

http://www.riftgame.com/en/news/articles/05102011_free_trial.php

isnt that the point?  those games star wars included lost so many subs in a short time that they had to start handing out free trials.

server merges are next and after that people will be talking about free to play.   but personally i dont think star wars will go free to play. i mean look at War that game is so dead its not even funny and it still isnt free to play. and thats even a better game than star wars haha

That's not what he said at all, he said no MMO has done that.  Nevertheless, which MMOs do you consider successful?

Yeah, you got me: I forgot to include the word SUCCESSFUL in there.

Looks like other people got the point, even if you didn't.

And I hope TOR does just as well as those examples you pointed out, right? Don't you? Isn't that your point?

As others have said, WoW did not start a trial for a couple years after, it was a long time for original SWG (at least a year) and similar time for EvE.

If I were a fan of TOR, I'd not be bringing up Rift if I were you... huge hype, big crash in subs.

Other than a game like Tabula Rasa, not many games can say they crashed n burnt like Uncle Owen....err SWG. It did so freaking badly they didnt revamp it once, nope they even tried a 2nd time to save the biggest IP to come to MMOs.

TOR has pretty much sold more copies than SWG did during its entire existence....expansions included. It will make far more money than SWG ever dreamed of, because it isnt some broken down POS  no content sandbox like SWG was.

Taking the moniker as some type of martyr for a game most didnt like to begin with, and attempting to run down a game that a number of folks do like is simply sad man. This game will be around a long time, and I shudder to think that we will have to consistently deal with the hate from SWG folks, like you, that refuse to move on.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Who cares how many subs the game has, so long as the game is not dead and I have people to party with then I am happy as are a ton of others.

EA/BW has also been sending out "What can we do to get you back?" emails, and that is not a good thing for a game not 3 months past release.

Take off the tin foil hat. EVERY company does this.  Let's play that game again.  SWTOR launches and has 5 million subs in 2 months, but 1 million more people quit after the first month.  So in your opinion, since they have 5 million, they shouldn't do anything to try to get those 1 million people to resub? The game is successful "enough", right?  Can you give me your opinion on at what point the game is successful enough they no longer need to try to get back people who have quit?

Facebook must be almost in the tank, I get emails from them every week saying "You can't logged in in a while, come back!".  Talk about desperation.

isnt that the point?  those games star wars included lost so many subs in a short time that they had to start handing out free trials.

server merges are next and after that people will be talking about free to play.   but personally i dont think star wars will go free to play. i mean look at War that game is so dead its not even funny and it still isnt free to play. and thats even a better game than star wars haha

That's not what he said at all, he said no MMO has done that.  Nevertheless, which MMOs do you consider successful?

And I hope TOR does just as well as those examples you pointed out, right? Don't you? Isn't that your point?

As others have said, WoW did not start a trial for a couple years after, it was a long time for original SWG (at least a year) and similar time for EvE.

If I were a fan of TOR, I'd not be bringing up Rift if I were you... huge hype, big crash in subs.

Other than a game like Tabula Rasa, not many games can say they crashed n burnt like Uncle Owen....err SWG. It did so freaking badly they didnt revamp it once, nope they even tried a 2nd time to save the biggest IP to come to MMOs.

TOR has pretty much sold more copies than SWG did during its entire existence....expansions included. It will make far more money than SWG ever dreamed of, because it isnt some broken down POS  no content sandbox like SWG was.

Taking the moniker as some type of martyr for a game most didnt like to begin with, and attempting to run down a game that a number of folks do like is simply sad man. This game will be around a long time, and I shudder to think that we will have to consistently deal with the hate from SWG folks, like you, that refuse to move on.

Lol, and you call SWG players angry and bitter
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SWTOR only sold more copies because people bought it on hype, and without knowing what the game was like, and the road to release was a long one, and picked up loads of people, even ones living under a rock knew about SWTOR after 3 years of hype.

SWG was released too quick. I missed out on a month of SWG and beta because I did not think it was going to be released by then.

If SWTOR had such a short period I doubt it would have had the sales that it did, and now people have played it, it would have crashed and burned harder than SWG. SWTOR is a dumbed down version of the NGE.

There is no way EA or LA would do a free to play weekend if the game was doing succesfully. The first free trial I was aware of in SWG was 2006/2007, but then I did have 1-10 accounts subbed constantly until Nov 2005, so probably did not qualify for free trials until 2006.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

So. . . leaving aside the whole fanboy/ hateboy thing y'all have got going, is anyone actually taking advantage of the free weekend? I am!

Apart from the question of whether or not the game is any good, I think this free weekend has a couple of things going against it. First, the huge download. The trial offers four days of play but, practically speaking, for most of us it's two, two and a half. That's not much considering that SWTOR is the single largest thing I've ever downloaded. If any game would benefit from the download while you play approach, it's this one. Second, it's mid March, and many parts of the country are having the first good weather in five or six months. I had a huge block of time set aside for gaming today, but the shaft of light coming in through my window drew me outside; then of course there's the St Patrick's Day beer fest later this evening. Seems like bad timing for this sort of thing.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Can you give me a list of which MMOs are considered successful to you?

Originally posted by RefMinor

Which forum are we on?

The TOR fans arent going over to the SWG forums to talk about their game.  It is the SWG fans that are constantly here talking shit about TOR.

So spare us when you guys get called out. Burnt was trying to paint a picture of a failed game, when SWG is a prime example. A game he rallies about in his very own moniker. A game that he brought up in the post I replied to, so it was fair game.

Angry and bitter? Yep I am....I am angry that we have to be subjected to the same inane drivel daily, and bitter cause the TOS for this site are not enforced in relation to it.

Yet it still trumps not having a game, and being relegated to a roll call of those that wanted a sandbox.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Which forum are we on?

The TOR fans arent going over to the SWG forums to talk about their game.  It is the SWG fans that are constantly here talking shit about TOR.

So spare us when you guys get called out. Burnt was trying to paint a picture of a failed game, when SWG is a prime example. A game he rallies about in his very own moniker. A game that he brought up in the post I replied to, so it was fair game.

Angry and bitter? Yep I am....I am angry that we have to be subjected to the same inane drivel daily, and bitter cause the TOS for this site are not enforced in relation to it.

Yet it still trumps not having a game, and being relegated to a roll call of those that wanted a sandbox.

SWG was not a failed game it was shut down to make way for SWTOR. It was still making money at the time of its closure. SOE did a fine job on their own with limited resources and 1 or 2 devs through the last 6 years. SWTOR has/had thousands of people working on it, so in comparison SWTOR is quite weak considering

People are posting in these forums, as SWTOR is SWGs replacement, and now the only active SW MMO, so want SWTOR to get better, and not stay stagnant, and you keep it all going by posting about it too :)

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

DEAR PLAYERS,

We are sorry for fucking up Mass Effect 3, for the horrible graphics, the horrible ending, the DLC fiasco, please keep buying our games and paying our monthly fees so that our ShareHolders don't burn us at the stake.  So here is this FREE SWTOR Weekend to our sucky game, enjoy.

Sincerely,

Electronic Arts

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by gw1228

DEAR PLAYERS,

We are sorry for fucking up Mass Effect 3, for the horrible graphics, the horrible ending, the DLC fiasco, please keep buying our games and paying our monthly fees so that our ShareHolders don't burn us at the stake.  So here is this FREE SWTOR Weekend to our sucky game, enjoy.

Sincerely,

Electronic Arts

No thank you, Electronic Arts. I'm already playing a well made CORPG.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

Originally posted by superniceguy

SWG was not a failed game it was shut down to make way for SWTOR. It was still making money at the time of its closure. SOE did a fine job on their own with limited resources and 1 or 2 devs through the last 6 years. SWTOR has/had thousands of people working on it, so in comparison SWTOR is quite weak considering

People are posting in these forums, as SWTOR is SWGs replacement, and now the only active SW MMO, so want SWTOR to get better, and not stay stagnant, and you keep it all going by posting about it too :)

Dude, you really need to come back to reality.

SWG wasnt keeping SOE/LA happy prior to NGE, and it actually had a number of subs back then. The whole era of SWG was a pure unmitigated disaster, and the paltry following of NGE, prior to close, doesnt make or break TOR.

To think so shows exactly what we have to deal with in the TOR forum when it pertains to you dedicated SWG fans.  sheesh

"If if if" is all I keep hearing about sandboxes/SWG, and not what is fact. The facts are SWG is gone, nothing you say or do will make this SWG2, so why dont you guys give it a rest? The shit is beyond annoying. It passed that threshold about Jan of 06. It would be like one of us bitching that AA isnt themepark focused in the AA forums. It would chap your asses, the same way it is chapping ours.

More so if we carried on for 6 plus yrs, much like a number of SWG "vets" have. When is enough actually enough? I would really like to hear Dr Phils take on it.

SWG wasnt keeping SOE/LA happy prior to NGE, and it actually had a number of subs back then. The whole era of SWG was a pure unmitigated disaster, and the paltry following of NGE, prior to close, doesnt make or break TOR.

To think so shows exactly what we have to deal with in the TOR forum when it pertains to you dedicated SWG fans.  sheesh

"If if if" is all I keep hearing about sandboxes/SWG, and not what is fact. The facts are SWG is gone, nothing you say or do will make this SWG2, so why dont you guys give it a rest? The shit is beyond annoying. It passed that threshold about Jan of 06. It would be like one of us bitching that AA isnt themepark focused in the AA forums. It would chap your asses, the same way it is chapping ours.

More so if we carried on for 6 plus yrs, much like a number of SWG "vets" have. When is enough actually enough? I would really like to hear Dr Phils take on it.

SWTOR is a poor excuse for a MMO, it is just a single player game with DLC that you are paying a monthly fee for. Any other MMO on this site is a better MMO than SWTOR, although as a game it is better than many MMOs though. SWG was 100% MMO, where it was worth the monthly fee.

The closure of SWG and the farce that is SWTOR (plus the crap surrounding DA2 and ME3) shows that these companies are now treating their customers poorly.

I do not know why you do not want SWTOR to get more like SWG 2, as long as it does not change SWTOR at the core. More stuff in SWTOR = more subs. On the official SWG forums there was  a rumour that LA/Bioware plan to do a major change on SWTOR too. SWTOR was not meant to be like SWG 2 as SWG was planned to still run alongside SWTOR, but now they decided to close SWG before it was dead and still making money, it now looks they now will do.

Hopefully it will happen soon, because then that will be when it is enough, as SWTOR will then be the game everyone will want to play.

SWTOR is a poor excuse for a MMO, it is just a single player game with DLC that you are paying a monthly fee for. Any other MMO on this site is a better MMO than SWTOR, although as a game it is better than many MMOs though. SWG was 100% MMO, where it was worth the monthly fee.

The closure of SWG and the farce that is SWTOR (plus the crap surrounding DA2 and ME3) shows that these companies are now treating their customers poorly.

I do not know why you do not want SWTOR to get more like SWG 2, as long as it does not change SWTOR at the core. More stuff in SWTOR = more subs. On the official SWG forums there was  a rumour that LA/Bioware plan to do a major change on SWTOR too. SWTOR was not meant to be like SWG 2 as SWG was planned to still run alongside SWTOR, but now they decided to close SWG before it was dead and still making money, it now looks they now will do.

Hopefully it will happen soon, because then that will be when it is enough, as SWTOR will then be the game everyone will want to play.

SWG is my favorite MMO of all time but it was a failure.  The NGE wouldn't have happened if it was doing well at the time and it was much worse in terms of subs after the NGE. 

This nonsense of SWTOR not being an MMO is just tired hyperbole at this point.  It's not missing any major features that define MMOs.  It's missing some polish and quality of life issues but it's in a HELL of lot better state than SWG was at launch.  I was in beta for SWG for months before launch and I didn't buy it when it came out because I knew what kind of mess it was.  I came back to the game 3 months in.  They included no space game at launch, in a STAR WARS game, and then made us buy it as an expansion a year later.  What would your reponse be if Bioware did that?  Nevermind, I already know based on comments you've made about the company in this thread.

TOR is never going to be SWG, they've been clear about that from the start.  I would LOVE more sandbox features but I'm not going to lambast a company for not giving me what they never promised they would.  The game is very good, it's going to get better.  Meanwhile I'll keep doing PVP, raids, crafting, hanging out in cantinas roleplaying, making friends and all the other things that apparently make this a non-MMO.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Sounds more like they are trying to test the waters to see what kind of player base they will have if they go FTP, which is coming of course. Just a matter of what kind of cash shops will be in game.

Man dude there is no hope for you.

PVP, crafter centric loot, and player dominated land masses(housing). None of that shit works in TOR. It is not a sandbox. Changing it to be more like SWG2 WOULD change it at its core.

Folks bitched about NGE, and here you are saying we should be wanting our game NGEed.

Seriously.... I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist. You keep trying to beat a square peg into a round hole, and cannot seem to fathom that it is never going to work. In the meantime you are annoying those of us that would like to talk about the game THAT IS, and not the game THAT NEVER WILL BE.

Walk away already....this game is not the droids you are looking for, and never could be.  You will have better luck getting those  features you want out of a game like ArcheAge rather than them totally retconning TOR.

Man dude there is no hope for you.

PVP, crafter centric loot, and player dominated land masses(housing). None of that shit works in TOR. It is not a sandbox. Changing it to be more like SWG2 WOULD change it at its core.

Folks bitched about NGE, and here you are saying we should be wanting our game NGEed.

Seriously.... I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist. You keep trying to beat a square peg into a round hole, and cannot seem to fathom that it is never going to work. In the meantime you are annoying those of us that would like to talk about the game THAT IS, and not the game THAT NEVER WILL BE.

Walk away already....this game is not the droids you are looking for, and never could be.  You will have better luck getting those  features you want out of a game like ArcheAge rather than them totally retconning TOR.

SWTOR is the game I am looking for, as they took SWG away to make way for it. SWTOR is our replacement. AA is not SW. I do not want any other MMO

I would score SWTOR 0/10 as a P2P MMO, but would score it 9/10 for a game. The lost 1 point is that you have to pay a monthly fee for it. If it goes F2P then it will be 10/10. As a F2P MMO all depends on what they charge you for a score, but would be greater than zero!

SWG as a game would be about 4/10, but as a P2P MMO it would be 10/10

What we need is a MMO, that is 10/10 as a game and 10/10 as a MMO. LOTRO and WOW comes close to that, although they are not totally my cup of tea, as are fantasy settings.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Dial down the hate a bit there...

The only reason I mentioned those 3 games in particular (including SWG), is that according the MMOChart data, they are among the very few games released that have increased their subs in the 6 months and on from launch.

Rift, Aion, AoC, and almost everything else sold some boxes and then population crashed.

Those three, didn't.

Need to stop blaming "bitter SWG vets" for saying bad or even just not positive things about TOR, there are plenty of people who were underwhelmed with it.

Frankly, the close of SWG-NGE was long overdue imo, not that has any bearing on anything.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Superniceguy & moaky07:

I've only checked a few SW:TOR threads lately, but in all of them (yes all), one or both of you have derailed the discussion with your neverending crap about SWG. Are you done? Some of us are actually interested in reading about the topics of the threads, so please give it a rest.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

The only reason I mentioned those 3 games in particular (including SWG), is that according the MMOChart data, they are among the very few games released that have increased their subs in the 6 months and on from launch.

Rift, Aion, AoC, and almost everything else sold some boxes and then population crashed.

Those three, didn't.

Need to stop blaming "bitter SWG vets" for saying bad or even just not positive things about TOR, there are plenty of people who were underwhelmed with it.

Frankly, the close of SWG-NGE was long overdue imo, not that has any bearing on anything.

I don't know if MMOChart data is the most reliable source, since it looks to me that a lot of the unknown gaps in it have been filled with best-guess practices (ie if the companies themselves haven't released their data for specific timeperiods, then how could they know, besides making some sort of estimation or wild guess?).

But even besides that, it's hard to compare MMO's launches before 2005 with MMO launches after 2005, because of mainstream MMO awareness,  internet availability growth and MMO consumption behaviour of MMO gamers. Those were completely different times compared to now.

Regarding Aion, to be completely honest the increase in subs in the first 1-2 years should include both Asian as well as NA/EU subs, when looking worldwide Aion didn't experience any population crash but increase after its launch and stabilisation. It has known a yearly 200+ million dollars revenues stream for its first 2-3 years.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

marketing ploy to make numbers good for Q4. That is all, numbers are dropping and it's fairly visible in server loads and i know im gonna get jumped on for saying this but it's the truth, EA / BW cant afford to lose investors which could hinder potential new projects... simple marketing

• Marchosias31Marchosias31 Member Posts: 83

Im REALLY TIRED of these Biodrones trying to appear logical in their attempts in defending this ohso average game.

If you look in the official forums, its a complete joke. Ive never ever seen forums where fans spit out this non sensical crap when replying to 'negative' threads.

Regarding trial weekend, no matter how much you want to think its not because of failing subs, it is. PERIOD. ITS BUSINESS 101, YOU DONT OPEN YOUR GAME UP FREE PLAYERS UNLESS YOUR TYRING TO INFLATE SUBS ARTIFICIALLY.

Subs are down, and nothing the fan bois say will alter that fact. I GUARANTEE after the next share holder meeting, this will be evident in the numbers.

And you know what? After waiting for years for this game, buying the CE, going to the forums every Friday for updates, im rather enjoying the fact this game is failing. Ive spent ALOT of money and time, only to be smacked by the fact that BIOWARE failed.

They have this coming. They screwed up bigtime, and im going to enjoy watching them circle the drain...........

Karmas a mofo Bioware.............

Whatever happened to the IN BIOWARE WE TRUST signatures?

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well props to Bioware for allowing people a chance to play before they pay, but it seems to be a trial just long enough for people to get hooked on the story questing (the good bits), but not quite long enough to get to the flawed parts of the game (pretty much everything outside story questing) that caused so many even diehard fans to quit playing.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Originally posted by Marchosias31

Im REALLY TIRED of these Biodrones trying to appear logical in their attempts in defending this ohso average game.

If you look in the official forums, its a complete joke. Ive never ever seen forums where fans spit out this non sensical crap when replying to 'negative' threads.

Regarding trial weekend, no matter how much you want to think its not because of failing subs, it is. PERIOD. ITS BUSINESS 101, YOU DONT OPEN YOUR GAME UP FREE PLAYERS UNLESS YOUR TYRING TO INFLATE SUBS ARTIFICIALLY.

Subs are down, and nothing the fan bois say will alter that fact. I GUARANTEE after the next share holder meeting, this will be evident in the numbers.

And you know what? After waiting for years for this game, buying the CE, going to the forums every Friday for updates, im rather enjoying the fact this game is failing. Ive spent ALOT of money and time, only to be smacked by the fact that BIOWARE failed.

They have this coming. They screwed up bigtime, and im going to enjoy watching them circle the drain...........

Karmas a mofo Bioware.............

i have to admit i'm a little bitter shelling out for the CE $200 imported to AUS express so i got it for launch and then installed launched a beta quality product.. the "1.2 miracle patch" is what swtor should have launched as.. not 4 months later, the damage is done... this is controlling the situation now

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

i would really consider playing for the weekend if they'd paid players tho.

Those three, didn't.

How many of those folks that didnt like it spend their days running it down on various forums? Now what portion of those, on this forum, are SWG vets? Too damn many thats how many.

SWG vets are the LAST folks that should be carrying on about a game being a failure. Especially when said game smacks the shit out of their SWG numbers wise. I mean cmon, they arent even in the same ball park.

What I see it as is a case of jealousy.You guys refuse to accept that maybe....just maybe this game wasnt built with you intended as an audience, and therefore you should find something that does.

Yet rather than moving on, I see folks slinging shit on a game I enjoy....just like they did with EQ when SOE changed SWG.  I sure wouldnt seek to drive folks away from an AA or EvE by camping their forums, and running those games down daily. A pity the same cannot be said for you guys.

Which quite frankly wouldnt be happening if the TOS of this site were actually enforced.

It isnt about "blaming".....it is matter of factly calling a spade a spade.

I am not jealous, just disappointed, as the numbers only blow SWGs out of the water by blind faith. The sales and sub figures for SWTOR are based on people buying the game before even playing it.

If SWTOR does not get beefed up, then SWTOR will not be around for long. My comments are to try and make SWTOR better and stay around for a long time. Your hate for SWG is keeping SWTOR stagnant and your beloved game will be shut down a lot sooner than 8 years SWG had. At the rate it is going, it will probably be closed in 2 years time. SWG was losing subs too, but no where near as much as SWTOR. The mass sales has brought the mass disappointments, which lead to mass negativity. If SWTOR did not get the mass sales at the start followed with the mass exodus, it could have had better growth.

Those three, didn't.

So again, since you ignored me the first time, which MMOs do you consider successful?