Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First draft of AI Guard Fight - Low Level Guards!

13»

Comments

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Henrik does tend to overhype a little, but MO still has realism unlike any other game.

Concerning mounts. You have 2 choices. You can "Buy your mount at level 10!!!" and freely summon/spellcast said mount(POOF!) in other games. Or you can tame one or buy one from other players, and feed it, tell it to graze, and have loyalty for you.

Even with mount pathing issues I will choose MO mounts over any other game out there.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Many games have the version of pet ownership you prefer. It is not unique to MO in any way, apart from the fact that MO's implementation is bugged to hell of course.

In fact, UO had it 15 years ago and has it to this day. Hardly revolutionary or even competently implemented by SV.

Yes, I know UO has it. But the others are just unrealistic and graphics lack imo, speaking of DF, Wurm.

Your statement was "I will choose MO mounts over any other game out there."

What does that have to do with graphics? Why are you limiting the comparison to only 2 games when you actually said "any game"? If you like heavily bugged content fair enough, but there are far better implemented versions of the same model used in MO.

Originally posted by Betel

Your statement was "I will choose MO mounts over any other game out there."

What does that have to do with graphics? Why are you limiting the comparison to only 2 games when you actually said "any game"? If you like heavily bugged content fair enough, but there are far better implemented versions of the same model used in MO.

Because the only other games with mount systems like MO are: UO, Wurm, and maybe DF as a huuuuge stretch(taming skill).

Am I missing some?  I personally cant play Wurm and UO and get immersed into them due to graphics.

Even WOW has a pet system that has taming and loyalty, it is nothing unique.  Plenty of other games with it too.

So once again  your argument comes down to "I want pretty graphics". Why don't you just admit that you prize that above sandbox features?

Even WOW has a pet system that has taming and loyalty, it is nothing unique.  Plenty of other games with it too.

So once again  your argument comes down to "I want pretty graphics". Why don't you just admit that you prize that above sandbox features?

lol, WoW?    

/facepalm

Nevermind.

Originally posted by xDayx

lol, WoW?    

/facepalm

Nevermind.

I already listed sandbox games and you rejected them for not being pretty enough. Every single time you are pushed on one of your claims it always comes down to that.

It is clear you value pretty pictures over working sandbox features.

[Mod Edit]

[Mod Edit]

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

[Mod Edit - Do not edit moderated posts]

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Lets stay on topic guys.

Ok, on topic:

We havent seen enough of what is going to be coming out in Awakening to know what its going to be like. It could be one of 3 things.

1) Worse AI than what is already out in other games.

2) Same as what is already out in other games.

3) One or more never seen before AI aspects.

I would be happy with 2 and 3 as long as it works at least after a patch or 2 of bug cleaning. Ive been around mortal enough to know how this works.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by Stekky

I don't play the game anymore but there is possibly a dragon in the game already.      Dragons in MO are supposedly epic creatures that never respawn once dead.        Given Starvaults love for mysteries and puzzles I'd say the one shown in chains in the teaser is just one of those puzzles that nobody has found/unlocked.      It was stated that Dragons (and other epic creatures) will be controlled by another human not AI so I don't think it requires any sort of conspiracy to cover up something easily possible.      

What is also possible is that you are letting your hatred for the game rule out a bit of rationality here.   

Hey man, I dont know how I dint see your post before. Over eagerness to reply to certain posters must have been a pivoting factor, but here is my reply better late than never:

If I made a game, put in a detailed wireframe with Hi Res texture wrap around it and called it "Dragon" but never showed it to anyone else in years, then you can might as well call me a liar for claiming to have created a "Dragon" mob . If SV DO HAVE something as attention grabbing as that dragon shown in the video then hype-meister Henrick would be touting it on every video, every article and every event concerning MO. Even if its a one time spawn which can be perma-killed then it doesnt mean that the dragon goes *poof* out of the game registry, they could always reskin it and put it back in game. I see no signs that any such creature GOB(s) has been created to be useable in the current game so Occam's Razor holds true. 

And I think you might know this, but their AI is so piss poor that they NEED a human to control any substantial mob. If you remember that greater kimuru attack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Kug2pv3H4) it showed some of the worst AI in mmo history, not counting the anything from the warp to spawn bugs. Ironically one of the events which HAD a player controlled mob was also pretty piss poor as well (http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/70718-shield-event-what-went-wrong.html). And there are dozens of places and locations in MO, that might look good and might make a player think is significant in some way, but they are absolutely empty with nothing on for it. What mysteries and puzzles do you speak of? The only puzzles in Mortal Online is tackled by Starvault, after all coding a game is quite the mystery to the inept fanmodder code monkey. Anything else is just a byproduct of the developer's cluelessness.

I assure you, my hatred for the 'Developers' isnt the least bit governing my rationality here. Im just using common sense as to if SV REALLY had a dragon then why havent they used it even once in the current game, especially if SV have to resort to showing worthless "pre-alpha" state AI videos to calm down a small population base growing constantly unhappy right from launch? And I say it yet Again, this AI video is a BS, its so short and the player behaviour so meaningless that you cant even say for sure if its a scripted set of animations of just horrible first drafts of a redundant AI. Blame daddy's boy for "editing" out the single video instead of posting multiple vids of melee/ ranged/ magic based fights where the tester-player moves even a fraction like how the big PvP players in this game do.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by deathshroud

rainbringer is right on what scripting is in most fps games. Having worked with them in the past its eactly how i understand them. However there wasnt really anything in the video suggesting the guards behaviour was scripted at all. It seemed to me after a couple of seconds the guard would perform a random attack, on occasion he stabbed 3 times in a row other times swung then stabbed then blocked. Doesnt seem like a behavioural pattern it seemed random which is completely opposite. Not really Ai but just as effective since its unpredictable.

So you have experience with coding or some aspect with game developing? Or with the word "them" did you mean you have worked with SV in the past? 

I know these are offtopic and a mod as already pay his respects to the thread derailment that I missed to derive entertainment from (was too late in getting here) but those claims you made does raise a few questions atleast.

Besides, if you really do know coding then you would have known that there was nothing in that video which could have said  for sure if it was all a sham or in any way legit. Although I would bet on this being a scripted sham video, the truth remains that it was just TOO short and inconclusive to say with absolute certainty, unlike what you are doing which is claiming without doubt that this video was definite proof of a new working AI. I could also take a editor and spawn units in it, invert half of them by 90degrees on the yaw axis, then put in the running animation on half of them and drag keypoints from where they were close to each other to the other side and run the entire scene. It would look like half of them are running away from each other and some ill-informed person on the MO forums would go, "ooooh ahhh look AI is making them run away!". But this is not AI, its once a cinematic thrown together with 5minutes of work. Use the same story with the attacking animations. Instead throw in test_model2 and have it ani:stab, ani:stab, ani:stab, ani:swing, ani:stab, ani:block, speakline:Yo mama so fat....No kill meh! /scene change. 30seconds over and you cant say if this is a animation sequence or working AI. More proof that the tester just stands in front and attacks like a idiot, makes it seem like this is just another attempt at SV trying to dupe the audience into thinking what they want you to.

I would have given any other company the benefit of the doubt, but hey we are talking bout SV right? Given what these people have said, done and tried to do for all these years, it would be shameful to not question Henrick's claims of legitimacy in any matter.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by xDayx

Ok, on topic:

We havent seen enough of what is going to be coming out in Awakening to know what its going to be like. It could be one of 3 things.

1) Worse AI than what is already out in other games.

2) Same as what is already out in other games.

3) One or more never seen before AI aspects.

I would be happy with 2 and 3 as long as it works at least after a patch or 2 of bug cleaning. Ive been around mortal enough to know how this works.

Lol, i tried MO beta and i really cant see how MO  AI was worst then other games.

If you mean worst then other none mmorpg's then this statement is pretty unfair.

So in conclusion, any improvement to the current ai will just become revolusionary from there considering that mmorpg's ai sux in general.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Because as usual Henrik and his personal cult are hyping it as "revolutionary" and genre changing when in reality the only evidence we have is a poorly scripted fight.

The only reason they released it at all is that players are leaving constantly due to no PvE in MO and this is a desperate attempt to retain subs.

I dont realyl see any major hype they said they are working on the AI system as the current one does not exist, everyone on the MO forums kept asking for an example of waht they had so far... Henrik said they didnt really have much but if everyone wanted he would put somthing togeather to show some every work on the AI... Guess what thats exactly what he did..

As for players leaving constantly, from what i have been reading its the opposite the game has had a slight population influx.. Now ive only been playing a month but since i have all the major cities seem to have a really healthy population for a so called dead game.. Fab nearly always has 20-30 people mulling around doing different things during prime time..

At the end of the day this is a FFA PVP mmorpg its never going to have a massive population compared to the themepark games as not many people like the fact they could loose everything if they get killed..  The same goes for Darkfall.. games like this wont draw hughe amounts of people..

• Feather5Feather5 Member Posts: 90
    Thing is gear is replaceable I can get pvp set in 3 hours farming carcass.

Ex. myth of soma, legend of mir, mu online and eudemons online player.

Current game : Runescape (until pc build is complete)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Because as usual Henrik and his personal cult are hyping it as "revolutionary" and genre changing when in reality the only evidence we have is a poorly scripted fight.

The only reason they released it at all is that players are leaving constantly due to no PvE in MO and this is a desperate attempt to retain subs.

I dont realyl see any major hype they said they are working on the AI system as the current one does not exist, everyone on the MO forums kept asking for an example of waht they had so far... Henrik said they didnt really have much but if everyone wanted he would put somthing togeather to show some every work on the AI... Guess what thats exactly what he did..

As for players leaving constantly, from what i have been reading its the opposite the game has had a slight population influx.. Now ive only been playing a month but since i have all the major cities seem to have a really healthy population for a so called dead game.. Fab nearly always has 20-30 people mulling around doing different things during prime time..

At the end of the day this is a FFA PVP mmorpg its never going to have a massive population compared to the themepark games as not many people like the fact they could loose everything if they get killed..  The same goes for Darkfall.. games like this wont draw hughe amounts of people..

I did the trial about 3 weeks ago and I can confirm that Fab had those kinds of numbers constantly.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Caldrin

Henrik has been hyping the AI system for 2 years. In fact he said it was ready to implement and already coded over 18 months ago, and SV was just waiting for NavMesh. It's probably why the few people left playing wanted proof of this ongoing "AI development", and instead they got a pointless video as SV are incapable of coding a working AI.

Well we have never heard that before have we ... Oh wait we hear it every few weeks and the claim has been wrong every single time.

At the end of the day this is a FFA PVP mmorpg its never going to have a massive population compared to the themepark games as not many people like the fact they could loose everything if they get killed..  The same goes for Darkfall.. games like this wont draw hughe amounts of people.

People are not playing MO due to it being terrible, not because it is an FFA PvP game. Thousands bought the client on the promise of a full loot FFA game knowing exactly what that entailed, but without realising how incompetent SV is. That is why this game is empty and dying.

I did the trial about 3 weeks ago and I can confirm that Fab had those kinds of numbers constantly.

You can confirm nothing, only the financial reports can do that.

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Lol, i tried MO beta and i really cant see how MO  AI was worst then other games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Kug2pv3H4

Can you see any form of AI at all? Nope, MOBs in MO will stand still while you fire arrows from range and it won't attack you, that includes these "epic" monsters. Compare that to other games, for eg TOR where even low level MOBs will use different abilities in different ways.

If you mean worst then other none mmorpg's then this statement is pretty unfair.

It is completely fair, there is literally no AI in MO - take a look at the video.

So in conclusion, any improvement to the current ai will just become revolusionary from there considering that mmorpg's ai sux in general.

It will take considerable improvement to the current "AI" just to bring it up to the lowest standard possible in the gaming world. It has miles to go before it even matches the better games, never mind surpasses them.

• PheerMeehPheerMeeh Member Posts: 41

hahahaha AI guards. finally huh? Man I haven't played since like late 2009, and I bet if i go back to check the game out now, it would still feel exactly the same as when I quit the game. I had a lot of fun times in this game with my clan, but after that chrismas patch in beta........ mannn game just went downhill for us.

I'm sure this game will eventually turn into the game that i've always dreamed it would be.... but at this rate, its going to take a LONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG time. I mean have they released that tindrem city yet?!!!!!!!!!!!! that one they've been boasting about since the beginning of block A beta?! I really don't want to bash SV, because somewhere in my heart I still have hope for this game, but yeah. 

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

I can promise you that it has changed. Im not telling you how super it is, but to try the free trial to see for your self. And Tindrem should be there in the next patch - The Awakening! Togheter with new AI (finally ;o)), flash UI etc. So that might be something for you! =)