Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blacklight Retribution: First Impressions with Ripper X

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ripper X loads up his gun and steps into Blacklight: Retribution, the recently released MMOFPS from Perfect World Entertainment and Zombie Studios. Check out Blacklight Retribution: First Impressions with Ripper X.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GreyedGreyed Member UncommonPosts: 137

"It's a new MMOFPS!"

"What's the max number of players in any given area?"

"Uhm, 8v8."

"Sooo, Counter-Striker 1.6 is an MMO now?"

-.-

C'mon.  BF2, 32v32.  BF2142, 32v32.  Any game that has less players than that in a round is not an MMOFPS.  Planetside, WWIIOL, hundreds of players in a given engagement.  That's MMOFPS.

Not just another pretty color.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

If it has levels and skills it's now considered an MMO I guess. These tools don't even know what kind of game they are making.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GlokyczeGlokycze Member Posts: 9

And again your first impresion is BS doesnt show anything about the game just few clicks throught menu and then we watch you play silently. You should show more features of the game mainly customization of weapons. I would love to know how you still can do these videos.

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    I'm just getting tired of seeing new "free" games popping up every week with their freakin' cash shops. I feel like all that's happening is companies are just skinning an FPS platform, adding a cashshop, and releasing it. Make some quick cash, wait for people to get bored and rinse/repeat.
    Why 8v8 you ask? So you don't have to optimize network code ;)
    No thanks.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well sorry Ripper, this is another FPS game with zero MMO qualities.  Personally I deleted it off my system after fooling with it for a day.  

Not a very good article Ripper, you can do better.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well sorry Ripper, this is another FPS game with zero MMO qualities.  Personally I deleted it off my system after fooling with it for a day.  

why does mmorpg keep trying to spin all these fps as mmos lately? dont they have the FPSGuru site for all the fps games?

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Originally posted by Ozmodan

why does mmorpg keep trying to spin all these fps as mmos lately? dont they have the FPSGuru site for all the fps games?

Who knows, maybe the same reason RTSguru is basically just blind fanboyism/support of LoL while knocking DOTA almost purposefully to drum up interest in the "stories"..

When you think RTS you don't really just lump MOBA's in for that matter...

It's just weird, this synergy just leads to confusion and anger for the mmorpg side..

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

I enjoy this game but i keep getting CTDs. I barely make it through one game. Anyone else having this problem? Playing Tribes while waiting for a patch or something.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

What qualifies this as a "MMO" exactly?  I guess when I was playing QWs all those years it was actually a MMOFPS and I didn't even know it.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

well i tried it. got to level 2.. not overly impressed.. every match i started in had me at lv 1 vs atleast 3 lv 10+ players who had higher grade armor/weapons/buffs.. to the point i literally had to pull off instant kill head shots to kill them. where as they would pretty much 1-2 hit me 40m away.  i had the A typical shotty to the face from a lv 26 bunny hopper... 

this game really isnt that "new" its war inc/ combat arms.. ect.. your typical "mmo" fps game.. there they lock gear to levels so you have to play more then 2 minutes to find out.. the game is a joke...

i may try it abit longer until atleast lv 4 (it takes forever to level.. no idea how to make xp or money in this game.. i think after 5+ matches of win/lose i have 400 bucks.. most gear is like 3k :/  and only 10-20% xp on top of my lv 2... 

seems like XP and money is awared for highest K:D or something.. but never have i seen a game so unfriendly to new players.. i mean there are about 20-40 lobbys that i could see but only about 8 had people.. most if not all matches are 8/8 (16) which is really Fing small IMO... when iv had bigger matches in CS 1.0 O-o (yes pre 1.6)  sooo for all its flashy git graphics i dont see whats so great about THIS game... just buy BF3 or something.. bigger matches.. better graphics.. same junk just loads better..

i will say though.. alot of their servers on the west coast (cluster i joined) had decent pings for me anyway.. avrg was about 60-150ms so not bad.. still having tried the new tribes and playing CS:S and junk... plus war.inc (which sucks IMO) and AoVa i seriously dont get what this game has going for it.. for substainability.. 

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I like the music and the vibe the game has going for it, that is about it.  The 8v8 matches aren't fun for me.  And Ichmen it takes forever to level and make money because they want people to spend money in the cash shop.  As far as I can tell, the game is the very definition of pay to win.  You can buy zen, the PWE currency and then buy all kinds of gear that increases your stats and what not, straight from level 1 onwards.  It's PWE, can't expect much.  Wouldn't bother with this game tbh.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

I think its pretty obvious mmorpg.com ownership has decided to whore itself out to  advertisers  ( feature stories about Dragon Age and Skryim and  cross promo to unbound gamer and RpgGuru etc) .  Asian made mmo's pay websites like these a good deal of money for ads. As most commenters said how much different is this game to BF 3, and Call of Duty in terms of MMOness.  

I think Ripper has a good personality and voice to do video reviews but the review could have been done better in terms of what got mention/reviewed as another poster said.  

to be honest i only tried this game because of ripper x's little play preview of it. game play wise it looked interesting.. but ya i stand by my statement.. what does this game do that CS:S doesnt do?? or one of the million other P2W FPS "mmo" games??? as far as i can tell this game is back tracking on FPS... i see no reason to limit any game to 8/8 in today's gaming... i mean i get 4 v 4 in DoW but that is an RTS.. thats common.. fps should never be so few :/ the respawn is slow as well :/ 

i do give the game props for the graphics and animations... a head shot really does blow a guys head off... but graphics do not make a game.. if that was the case i would find my old wolfenstin 3d floppies and load that back up :/

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Did they ever actually call it an MMO? Maybe they just want to do a first impressions on a game. I know it's primarily an mmo site, but it doesnt mean they have to cover 100% mmo games.

• GreyedGreyed Member UncommonPosts: 137

Yes, 2nd sentence in the video he calls it an MMOFPS.  The title blurb up there says MMOFPS.

Or did you mean PWE?  From what I can tell PWE isn't calling it an MMOFPS. 

Not just another pretty color.

• NewHorizonNewHorizon Member Posts: 18

This game is awsome, nice break from the usual.

Originally posted by Greyed Or did you mean PWE?  From what I can tell PWE isn't calling it an MMOFPS. Ya, I was in a thread about this, people were arguing that FPS matchmaking is MMO, so thus Unreal and Halflife are our first MMOs? Pfft, idiots. Publishers really need to start making a distinction on what constitutes FPS/MMO/RPG/Openword/Matchmaking. Such that alot of new games on MMORPG are FPS, and of that some are MM(Massive Matchmaking) to me. I also call for OMMO for (OpenworldMassiveMultiplayerOnline).

this game is not an MMO its a lobby FPS like combat arms and such.

people constitute MMOs as EQ and WoW for MMOs but MMO actually stands for massively multiplayer online. 

which is in a way a FPS with lobby.. in the same way its a FPS- MP game (mp = multiplayer) sadly alot of people call these games MMOs as an attention draw. as people are looking for a new MMO to play they see (MMOFPS) and are like @#!@#@! a MMO must play... :/ 

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Ichmen

this game is not an MMO its a lobby FPS like combat arms and such.

people constitute MMOs as EQ and WoW for MMOs but MMO actually stands for massively multiplayer online. 

which is in a way a FPS with lobby.. in the same way its a FPS- MP game (mp = multiplayer) sadly alot of people call these games MMOs as an attention draw. as people are looking for a new MMO to play they see (MMOFPS) and are like @#!@#@! a MMO must play... :/ 

I was going to reply, but that this game is considered a MMO says more than I am capable of. Just feeling sad now.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• kabal.yerokabal.yero Member UncommonPosts: 29

it's obviously not an MMO but, at least, play it before saying it's a bad game... LOL

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

This game is to mmos what RipperX is to game reviewers.

Under-qualified, over-rated, and lacking in every possible way.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-