Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I would love to see in future Sanbox

LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Hi all!

- Skill based.

- No forced classes. Possible prem-builds for helping out some. But certainly a cap for the amount of points that could be distributed to prevent players to be masters of everything.

- The difference between a veteran and beginner should be a lot closer than in most games. A veteran should be killable for 4-5 beginners. So more towards player skill based than simple best gear dominates.

- Loot based on what you have killed -> no gold coins from bears stomach.

- Players make the best gear in world. Gathering material for quality crafting needs a skillfull player who has searched and studied from where and what the best material is aguired from. + player build mines, grows, blacksmiths etc. Ok 1:1000 drop ratio for random epic-artifacts-armors-weapons, but, to prevent camping, from not predetermed hard mobs.

- Player housing/villages/towns/castles, player lead factions with taxes/politics/controll areas which would be adjecent to other own factions areas with guard towers and clear borders to make open world war changing the map and the story of Empires(factions).

- Elections inside factions.

- Bounty on top ten faction leaders heads for other factions + bonuses if they stay alive long.

- Collective markets between faction towns.

- Religions which determine guidelines for enemies and allies. Living lawfully and enforcing these rules would grant blessings for individuals and everyone worshipping the religion.

- FFA playerkilling with and aligment punishment for inside faction/religion player/npc killing.

- Semi fullloot for player kills, players could secure let say 5 most important gear pieces they have. Put your money in bank or be ready to loose it :)

I'd maybe prefer gritty closer to realism fantacy setting but anything with these lines about any setting would go :)

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Lesrach

Hi all!

- Skill based.

- No forced classes. Possible prem-builds for helping out some. But certainly a cap for the amount of points that could be distributed to prevent players to be masters of everything.

- The difference between a veteran and beginner should be a lot closer than in most games. A veteran should be killable for 4-5 beginners. So more towards player skill based than simple best gear dominates.

- Players make the best gear in world. Gathering material for quality crafting needs a skillfull player who has searched and studied from where and what the best material is aguired from. + player build mines, grows, blacksmiths etc. Ok 1:1000 drop ratio for random epic-artifacts-armors-weapons, but, to prevent camping, from not predetermed hard mobs.

- Player housing/villages/towns/castles, player lead factions with taxes/politics/controll areas which would be adjecent to other own factions areas with guard towers and clear borders to make open world war changing the map and the story of Empires(factions).

- Bounty on top ten faction leaders heads for other factions + bonuses if they stay alive long.

- Religions which determine guidelines for enemies and allies. Living lawfully and enforcing these rules would grant blessings for individuals and everyone worshipping the religion.

- FFA playerkilling with and aligment punishment for inside faction/religion player/npc killing.

- Semi fullloot for player kills, players could secure let say 5 most important gear pieces they have. Put your money in bank or be ready to loose it :)

I'd maybe prefer gritty closer to realism fantacy setting but anything with these lines would go :)

You had UO until elections, but after that the list gets weird.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Hi all!

- Skill based.

I'd maybe prefer gritty closer to realism fantacy setting but anything with these lines would go :)

Shadowbane also was like that - factions were player run cities and I did see some with elections, others were more like dictatorships or charismatic rulers with their appointed henchmen.  Religions... not surre that religions have ever been addressed in a MMORPG.  Might work, might not - hmmm.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I think your game sounds great.

For me the perfect game is close to yours.

It would be just like Darkfall, but with a large developer that can take care of the small details better, A skill cap and stat cap that's easily changeable. If I want strength today, then I have to sacrifice stamina or wisdom, or maybe 2 of 5 stats. To me this would lead to builds of the month, and I like that strategy component.

Plus, my favorite fun part of the game is the sea battles, but they need a much much lower cost for ships

They also need way more PvE and harder MoBs and areas in the game that range from easy to so hard most people think it's impossible and complain that it should be simplified.

They have player crafted gear as tops, houses, and the houses have some small meaning, I like the world, the water, almost everything about the design of the game. I think they ruined the game because they couldn't deliver on side things.

Any modern game should have built in voice and a clean and customizable UI. It should have more tools for clans, battle groups, or some other UI type chat/voice amenities. It should be more like getting on Xbox/PS3 in the way that it's just easy to understand and navigate, but like the PC in the number of options.

Sandbox means to me that the players develop the world as much as possible. I don't think there's any black and white just grades of gray. Right now Eve, Darkfall, MO and those type are more sandy because you're not guided toward battles and you can take and keep fortresses.

Asdar

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

I'm in!

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Hi all!

- Skill based.

- Bounty on top ten faction leaders heads for other factions + bonuses if they stay alive long.. You know they used to capture nobles few hundred years back in battlefield and common men rarely dared to touch Nobles. These son's of Lords and Dukes were returned to their own side in exhance for gold. In mmorpg I think just extra reward for killing them would fullfill the idea. And if they were elected as leaders they could resieve minor buff which would crow slightly (the reward as well) as long as they stay alive. You could think of it as another objective in Faction war

- Collective markets between faction towns.  This is basicly AH shared between same faction members, could be usable for neutrels as well with a little tax. 

- Religions which determine guidelines for enemies and allies. Living lawfully and enforcing these rules would grant blessings for individuals and everyone worshipping the religion Simplified example you have a god Winter and wolves. Worshipping this god would open up new skill for it's templars and spells for it's priests. More you'd attack ie evil creatures higher your affiliation for this religion would crow and your spell and skill would be more effective with risen "religious commitment". This would get interesting if a religion would work inside a faction and factions and religions interest would cross... I see politics and civil war approaching :)

- FFA playerkilling with and aligment punishment for inside faction/religion player/npc killing. it is very important that everyone can kill everyone. But you'd suffer the consecuences for doing so among your own faction religion. Players keeping up order in world is favorable, I'd still go for few safe hubs in world.

- Semi fullloot for player kills, players could secure let say 5 most important gear pieces they have. Put your money in bank or be ready to loose it :)  When you have killed you mobs, looted them and collected few pearls. Your travel back to home town to bank is a lot less boring when you actually have to watch behind your back for robbers and opposite faction members who would gladly take your fat backbag and enjoy it's content. I just think loosing everything makes a game too marginal. Thats why I feel players should be able to secure certain number of items that they will not loose while they are killed. 

Here's a little further explanation. We might not share same opinion in taste of games but I can hardly see my ideas weird.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Originally posted by asdar

I think your game sounds great.

For me the perfect game is close to yours.

It would be just like Darkfall, but with a large developer that can take care of the small details better, A skill cap and stat cap that's easily changeable. If I want strength today, then I have to sacrifice stamina or wisdom, or maybe 2 of 5 stats. To me this would lead to builds of the month, and I like that strategy component.

Plus, my favorite fun part of the game is the sea battles, but they need a much much lower cost for ships

They also need way more PvE and harder MoBs and areas in the game that range from easy to so hard most people think it's impossible and complain that it should be simplified.

They have player crafted gear as tops, houses, and the houses have some small meaning, I like the world, the water, almost everything about the design of the game. I think they ruined the game because they couldn't deliver on side things.

Any modern game should have built in voice and a clean and customizable UI. It should have more tools for clans, battle groups, or some other UI type chat/voice amenities. It should be more like getting on Xbox/PS3 in the way that it's just easy to understand and navigate, but like the PC in the number of options.

Sandbox means to me that the players develop the world as much as possible. I don't think there's any black and white just grades of gray. Right now Eve, Darkfall, MO and those type are more sandy because you're not guided toward battles and you can take and keep fortresses.

I might use a wrong expression here but Darkfall felt to me like Fantasy MMO. Roleplaying in a sense of character progression was there yes but there it stopped for me.

I wanted to see player building his house to the spot he wishes. Then meets a guy who builds his house next to it. In few moths there would have been a small town. They chose their location because there was good defendable mountains that gave protection in north and a river which gave a great fishing bonus for them as the river was part of small terratory, area their houses gave them "controll" over.

I allways felt that DF devs made a mistake leaving opposing spell school limitations and skillcap out of launch. Then they jumped through hoops and loops to cover their mistake, letting everyone master everything, by trying to controll combat roles with choise of armor.

Some how i feel allied cities should have been adjecent to each other to force more terratorial combat. Now all alliances had a city in every continent so ther was no chance for that. Would have been nice to see borders moving while the war progresses now it was just all colors from the pallet thrown all over the map. They also could have addes material bonuses for controlling good wood land and mine rich hills as again part of terratory not just inside a city.

Feels like I'd have more to say but now got to go :)

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    OP:

You just described Pathfinder Online...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I want to see a sandbox where dulboxing with multiple accounts is considered the norm.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

I want to see a sandbox where dulboxing with multiple accounts is considered the norm.

EvE?

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

EvE?

HAHA, I goofed, I meant NOT the norm.

I hate tabbing back and forth. hehe. OOPS!

• PheerMeehPheerMeeh Member Posts: 41

a sandbox with great immersive graphics... and great music and sound....... a shitton of tools for players to make their own content.... and a big open world to explore and build on.... and ffa pvp.

awwwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhh... of course alot of other stuff too, but im too lazy to think them up and list them.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I might use a wrong expression here but Darkfall felt to me like Fantasy MMO. Roleplaying in a sense of character progression was there yes but there it stopped for me.
    I wanted to see player building his house to the spot he wishes. Then meets a guy who builds his house next to it. In few moths there would have been a small town. They chose their location because there was good defendable mountains that gave protection in north and a river which gave a great fishing bonus for them as the river was part of small terratory, area their houses gave them "controll" over.
    I allways felt that DF devs made a mistake leaving opposing spell school limitations and skillcap out of launch. Then they jumped through hoops and loops to cover their mistake, letting everyone master everything, by trying to controll combat roles with choise of armor.
    Some how i feel allied cities should have been adjecent to each other to force more terratorial combat. Now all alliances had a city in every continent so ther was no chance for that. Would have been nice to see borders moving while the war progresses now it was just all colors from the pallet thrown all over the map. They also could have addes material bonuses for controlling good wood land and mine rich hills as again part of terratory not just inside a city.
    Feels like I'd have more to say but now got to go :)

I agree with everything you've said here. I would have loved to see these sandbox additions to the game. To me the dev's wanted more then they could make and didn't quite do it all right. It's still the closest thing to a perfect game for me. Eve was better developed, but I just don't care for the space theme.

Asdar

• Feather5Feather5 Member Posts: 90
    OP described Mortal Online pretty much.

Ex. myth of soma, legend of mir, mu online and eudemons online player.

Current game : Runescape (until pc build is complete)

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Feather5

OP described Mortal Online pretty much.

lmao! yup.

except for the the religion stuf and the quests that pretty much summs up MO. what pisses me off endlessly is just how good MO could have been if only had it been coded by a professional and well funded dev team  instead of broke and cluless SV .....AARRRRGGGGGHHH!

oh well. let's hope Bethesda pulls it off with their new ES mmo.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I prefer a start with higher-level considerations:

1. Sandbox

2. Single server

3. open factions, spectrum of open pvp

4. player run and created population centers and holdfasts

5. full economy and world resources sources and sinks

6. destructable and constructable changes to environments

7. fantasy genre

etc...

Drilling down into further sub-categories eg in pvp: loot options is very granular by contrast.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Hi all!

- Skill based.

- Bounty on top ten faction leaders heads for other factions + bonuses if they stay alive long.. You know they used to capture nobles few hundred years back in battlefield and common men rarely dared to touch Nobles. These son's of Lords and Dukes were returned to their own side in exhance for gold. In mmorpg I think just extra reward for killing them would fullfill the idea. And if they were elected as leaders they could resieve minor buff which would crow slightly (the reward as well) as long as they stay alive. You could think of it as another objective in Faction war

- Collective markets between faction towns.  This is basicly AH shared between same faction members, could be usable for neutrels as well with a little tax. 

- Religions which determine guidelines for enemies and allies. Living lawfully and enforcing these rules would grant blessings for individuals and everyone worshipping the religion Simplified example you have a god Winter and wolves. Worshipping this god would open up new skill for it's templars and spells for it's priests. More you'd attack ie evil creatures higher your affiliation for this religion would crow and your spell and skill would be more effective with risen "religious commitment". This would get interesting if a religion would work inside a faction and factions and religions interest would cross... I see politics and civil war approaching :)

- FFA playerkilling with and aligment punishment for inside faction/religion player/npc killing. it is very important that everyone can kill everyone. But you'd suffer the consecuences for doing so among your own faction religion. Players keeping up order in world is favorable, I'd still go for few safe hubs in world.

- Semi fullloot for player kills, players could secure let say 5 most important gear pieces they have. Put your money in bank or be ready to loose it :)  When you have killed you mobs, looted them and collected few pearls. Your travel back to home town to bank is a lot less boring when you actually have to watch behind your back for robbers and opposite faction members who would gladly take your fat backbag and enjoy it's content. I just think loosing everything makes a game too marginal. Thats why I feel players should be able to secure certain number of items that they will not loose while they are killed. 

Here's a little further explanation. We might not share same opinion in taste of games but I can hardly see my ideas weird.

Lesrach, I think this is a great idea.

I think you have what everyone but the most anti-PvPers would like to have as a game world.

There's control over the "wide open PvP", allowing it but removing it's harmfull aspects. The critical parts of this are:

• - "FFA playerkilling with and aligment punishment for inside faction/religion player/npc killing".

This is an absolute must. Players must be sure that they are safe with theor own faction, or at least almost always so. There must be a punishment that removes any desire to PK or steal from your own faction. That punishment could be heavy stat/skill loss at death. But your overall plan here offers something even better. Permanent banning from your faction by it's leadership. This would be a choice by the leaders, I think, and if they aren't good leaders in this regard then they can either be voted out of office or players can leave that faction for another. (Maybe this has been done in other games, I don't know)

What's important for this banishment is the aspects of "safe harbor", but more importantly the economic punishment of being removed. I'd suggest that the leadership also take possession of that player's house and faction bank account. (Yes, allow them to have a bank account elsewhere, adds to roleplay and game play.)

• "The difference between a veteran and beginner should be a lot closer than in most games. A veteran should be killable for 4-5 beginners. So more towards player skill based than simple best gear dominates".

This also is a must. You're talking about a game world where players set up regional control for a faction. It is never good to have big gaps in PvP, as high level characters can organize and run wild over masses of others, ruining any "realism" in the worldly structure. The numbers can be adjusted somewhat, or not, but the overall idea is very important. Raids need to be defensible, or it's a sham.

Overall, I think there's some real possibilities with your idea that allows for greater details to be added so as to make a really great, "realistic" feeling game.

Once upon a time....

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Well, that sure killed this one.

Once upon a time....

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

I prefer a start with higher-level considerations:

1. Sandbox

2. Single server

3. open factions, spectrum of open pvp

4. player run and created population centers and holdfasts

5. full economy and world resources sources and sinks

6. destructable and constructable changes to environments

7. fantasy genre

etc...

Drilling down into further sub-categories eg in pvp: loot options is very granular by contrast.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Im throwing money on the screen and nothing is happening!

• Hattie71Hattie71 Member Posts: 5

Players make the best gear in world. Gathering material for quality crafting needs a skillfull player who has searched and studied from where and what the best material is aguired from. + player build mines, grows, blacksmiths etc. Ok 1:1000 drop ratio for random epic-artifacts-armors-weapons, but, to prevent camping, from not predetermed hard mobs.