Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Comments

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by RagnorMalak

Originally posted by Ganathar

So if the information on The Elder Scrolls online is true, what classes would you like to see?

Personally I think they will have some classes like these :

Warrior (wears heavy armor and uses melee weaponry)

Archer (Light armor + bows and maybe crossbows, dual swords for melee)

Wizard (Destruction spells for DPS and Healing spells)

Conjurer (With an option to focus on necromancy or bringing Daedra from the planes of Oblivion. These two could also be seperate classes)

Thief/Assasin (Uses Light armor and Daggers for melee and bow for ranged, can sneak)

and last but not least

Dovahkiin (A hero class that shouts it's fows into submission. Yeah just kidding :P)

That would be going backwards instead of forward: it will probably be a classless system like Skyrim. That is what I would prefer anyway.

Having a system with classes isn't going backwards, it's remaining where we are in regards to classes.

They could have a classless system like TSW is trying, but I tell you that it would be a balancing nightmare, except if they could think of something incredible that no one on this forum has ever thought of in order to avoid the said nightmare.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

So if the information on The Elder Scrolls online is true, what classes would you like to see?

Conjurer (With an option to focus on necromancy or bringing Daedra from the planes of Oblivion. These two could also be seperate classes)

Thief/Assasin (Uses Light armor and Daggers for melee and bow for ranged, can sneak)

and last but not least

Dovahkiin (A hero class that shouts it's fows into submission. Yeah just kidding :P)

That would be going backwards instead of forward: it will probably be a classless system like Skyrim. That is what I would prefer anyway.

Having a system with classes isn't going backwards, it's remaining where we are in regards to classes.

They could have a classless system like TSW is trying, but I tell you that it would be a balancing nightmare, except if they could think of something incredible that no one on this forum has ever thought of in order to avoid the said nightmare.

The class system is weak. Asheron's Call proves the class-less is where the strong pimp hand is at. For the RPG fan, hearing things like "classes" and "balancing" are nightmares. WoW already exists for those who want that kind of gameplay but to turn Elder Scroll into that. It would be a tragedy. A modified skill based sytem is all thats needed, not classes and invisible walls.

If they MUST make an mmo, I would like to see more of what they already have. More skills, spells, moves, races just more everything. Maybe bring back jump to a certain degree.

Originally posted by Trionicus

and last but not least

The class system is weak. Asheron's Call proves the class-less is where the strong pimp hand is at. For the RPG fan, hearing things like "classes" and "balancing" are nightmares. WoW already exists for those who want that kind of gameplay but to turn Elder Scroll into that. It would be a tragedy. A modified skill based sytem is all thats needed, not classes and invisible walls.

If they MUST make an mmo, I would like to see more of what they already have. More skills, spells, moves, races just more everything. Maybe bring back jump to a certain degree.

How would you make this classless system then? I want to see you express your creative mind here, because I don't really mind a classless system as long as it really works.

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

This is such a bad idea. T_T

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • tasasastasasas Member Posts: 12

I really hope they make something like UO but on skyrim fps engine. They dont even have to invent that much. Would be epic.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

and last but not least

How would you make this classless system then? I want to see you express your creative mind here, because I don't really mind a classless system as long as it really works.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the same classless system every Elder Scrolls game since at least morrowind has used?

Nah, that'd be too simple.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

and last but not least

Oh, I don't know, maybe the same classless system every Elder Scrolls game since at least morrowind has used?

The system you are talking about doesn't work in an MMO because at some point everyone will be able to do everything and so everyone will be the same.

and last but not least

That doesn't work in an MMO because at some point everyone would be able to do everything and so everyone will be the same.

And with a class system, every class has a flavor of the month build resulting in everyone being  the same.

Your point?

At least a classless system encourages people to "buck the trend" and play with the build they like, not the build they need to be accepted.

Also, a simple cap of available points to put in skills, like Skyrims perks,  keeps people from all having every skill and being the same.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

and last but not least

That doesn't work in an MMO because at some point everyone would be able to do everything and so everyone will be the same.

And with a class system, every class has a flavorr of the month build resulting in everyone being  the same.

Your point?

It's better to have some chars that are the same or similar to yours than having all of them be the same. The classless system needs some restrictions so that you can't pick up everything. Isn't that obvious?

EDIT: You edited your post too fast. Having a classless system doesn't gurantee that you won't have flavour of the month builds.

and last but not least

And with a class system, every class has a flavorr of the month build resulting in everyone being  the same.

Your point?

It's better to have some chars that are the same or similar to yours than having all of them be the same. The classless system needs some restrictions so that you can't pick up everything. Isn't that obvious?

Yes, it's obvious. And as I added in my edit, you don't need to make "classes" to do so. A simple points/perk system just as Skyrim has in place does so nicely.

Ok, so how exactly would the system work? What restrictions would you place and how would the skill trees be designed? Should skills like smithing simply become professions or part of your leveling like in the other Elder scrolls games?

So many questions :P

Ok, so how exactly would the system work? What restrictions would you place and how would the skill trees be designed? Should skills like smithing simply become professions or part of your leveling like in the other Elder scrolls games?

I'd have the standard skill up system  ( use a skill to increase it like one hand edge, blunt, etc. ).

Then have the perk system on top as the main diversifier.

Sure, everyone can get their one hand, two hand, magic, etc. skill to 100 ( or whatever the cap number is on skills.

In that area, everyone is the same.

But then the perks kick in and require you to choose advanced skill from your limited pool of points. Like Skyrims perks, or AA in current mmos.

So say with every y base skill at cap, you can handle most basic mobs plus craft low tier items, use basic spells, etc. You basically are a jack of all trades with all base skills maxed.

Now, you want to be one of the heroic figures who can run in and save the day when that big dragon boss comes flying into town, or go diving in those scary dungeons at the edge of the world? Then use your perk points to give yourself the edge in combat.

Or do you want to be the one crafting that high end armor that will be provided to those heroic figures, and make a pretty penny? Then use your points to max one or two perklines in the crafting skills so you can read those high end recipes and make that gear.

Or maybe do a bit of both. Use perk points to max your one handed or your fire magic line and the rest to max out your leather making or blacksmithing perk line. Now you can provide support in those big fights while also helping supply those full tier crafters.

The point is, with a class system you're basically confining everyone to picking one specific area of expertise, which of course leads to them wanting to max that one area of expertise. That's a guaranteed incentive to use the flavor of the month build.

With a classless system, sure you'll have those who'll do the same thing. I realize you can't completely eliminate that style of play.  But you're also opening the doors and providing a choice for those who want to do their own thing.

And to me, THAT is the important part of any "sandbox" game. Choice. Not the EAware SWTOR ( and every other themepark game on the market )  proclamation of choice which is nothing but the illusion of choice, but real choice.

• WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54

Its obviously a long way off. Im down for letting them start to develop it and hear what they have to say about gameplay much more than I am about hearing Bioware's blah blah blah. I think they would be totally open to player comments of what they want and dont want and are capable of delivering a good game. Just give them a chance to get the announcemnt out  6 weeks from now, how can it hurt. Although I would rather see a Fallout MMO if they are going to invest the money on a MMO.

Not a fanboy(well maybe a tad) or anything but at least let them get the tip wet...

I'd have the standard skill up system  ( use a skill to increase it like one hand edge, blunt, etc. ).

Sure, everyone can get their one hand, two hand, magic, etc. skill to 100 ( or whatever the cap number is on skills.

But then the perks kick in and require you to choose advanced skill from your limited pool of points. Like Skyrims perks, or AA in current mmos.

So say with every y base skill at cap, you can handle most basic mobs plus craft low tier items, use basic spells, etc. You basically are a jack of all trades with all base skills maxed.

Now, you want to be one of the heroic figures who can run in and save the day when that big dragon boss comes flying into town, or go diving in those scary dungeons at the edge of the world? Then use your perk points to give yourself the edge in combat.

Or do you want to be the one crafting that high end armor that will be provided to those heroic figures, and make a pretty penny? Then use your points to max one or two perklines in the crafting skills so you can read those high end recipes and make that gear.

Or maybe do a bit of both. Use perk points to max your one handed or your fire magic line and the rest to max out your leather making or blacksmithing perk line. Now you can provide support in those big fights while also helping supply those full tier crafters.

The point is, with a class system you're basically confining everyone to picking one specific area of expertise, which of course leads to them wanting to max that one area of expertise. That's a guaranteed incentive to use the flavor of the month build.

With a classless system, sure you'll have those who'll do the same thing. I realize you can't completely eliminate that style of play.  But you're also opening the doors and providing a choice for those who want to do their own thing.

And to me, THAT is the important part of any "sandbox" game. Choice. Not the EAware SWTOR ( and every other themepark game on the market )  proclamation of choice which is nothing but the illusion of choice, but real choice.

This could make some pretty interesting crafting-type characters that want to have alot of influence on the market.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Interesting, voted "will see". I'm kind of glad if they grow the balls to do it in any case.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Everyone seems to instantly have playing Skyrim as an mmo in thier heads.I think it would be totally different,whoes to say they don't make a completly different system of leveling/classes but have the rich lore of ES games?I think its the only way to go tbh.

• DeadHunterDeadHunter Member Posts: 9

Loved all the TES games and I always wanted to share the experience with a friend, but never did I want it to turn into an MMO I can't think of any way that making the game into an MMO won't kill the experience. 

In other TES games you are the Hero not you and a couple of million others who have all saved the same guy in the same game world... in other words you wont be the main character in this game you will just be some other guy, sure people will say they love you and praise your name but they will say that to everyone.

You always know that there are millions like you but you have never met them and neither have the npcs in your game world thus making it feel like what you do matters to them.

So yeah:

CO-OP: Yes please would be awesome.

MMORPG: No thanks save it for when the serie is about to kick the bucket.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

Gameplay will suffer. The technology isn't there to offer up an experience in a massively multiplayer scale, not with what we expect when thinking of Elder Scrolls. With that said, I am excited for any new MMO with deep pockets. Just know that I still mourn the franchise or at least weap at the thought of the extended time between now and a new single player Elder Scrolls.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

I just hope pvp isnt like skyrim bosses....

Hide behind rock>come out and attack>hide behing rock>come out and attack again>hide behind rock and w8 for mana multiplied by 1000 times...

Although i assume repeating things 1000 times with time seems like the epitome of skill for pvers

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I sincerely hope they set it up this way Zorvan but my fear is still that they will feel the need to modify the mechanics to such a degree that it will lose what makes The Elder Scrolls what it is at it's core. This is what killed SW:ToR for me personally. They turned it into "WoW with Cut Scenes" and totally lost everything that made the KOTOR games great in the process. I fear TES may do the same thing in the pursuit of the WoW golden ring. This would alienate most of their existing fan base resulting in the game failing hard. I hope the guys at Bethesda and Zenimax are smart enough to see this.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

If they can pull it off and this a really big IF THEY CAN PULL IT OFF that will be amazing.

but sadly this is the type of mmorpg i have on my nr1 spot of games i want to play but i cant get slightly exited for this anymore.

40% change they do it cus all they can smell is money and do it to get the money ASAP.

50% change they will make huge changes to the game and it makes the mmo nothing compared to their current games making the company fall in popularity.

10% change they smell money and also a huge succes for their own company granting it with the best mmo ever made.

Originally posted by Brenelael

I sincerely hope they set it up this way Zorvan but my fear is still that they will feel the need to modify the mechanics to such a degree that it will lose what makes The Elder Scrolls what it is at it's core. This is what killed SW:ToR for me personally. They turned it into "WoW with Cut Scenes" and totally lost everything that made the KOTOR games great in the process. I fear TES may do the same thing in the pursuit of the WoW golden ring. This would alienate most of their existing fan base resulting in the game failing hard. I hope the guys at Bethesda and Zenimax are smart enough to see this.

Bren

Well, unless their Board is deaf, dumb, and blind, there's been no shortage of examples from EAware on how to totally burn your fanbase. But, like you, I'm not going to hold my breath on this one until I see the end result in action. I've personally been on the side of those who would prefer TES stay a singleplayer franchise. But I'll give it a shot provided they don't take the easy way out.

With Skyrim sales of 10 million+ copies, I'm hoping they know enough to stick to what works.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

If I'm not mistaken, Todd Howard has been quoted saying that he does not like Multiplayer games.

So I'll believe this announcement when I see it.

He and his team make TES games for their own enjoyment.  As he says "We make the games that we, as gamers, want to play ourselves."

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Brenelael

Bren

Well, unless their Board is deaf, dumb, and blind, there's been no shortage of examples from EAware on how to totally burn your fanbase. But, like you, I'm not going to hold my breath on this one until I see the end result in action. I've personally been on the side of those who would prefer TES stay a singleplayer franchise. But I'll give it a shot provided they don't take the easy way out.

With Skyrim sales of 10 million+ copies, I'm hoping they know enough to stick to what works.

I am old - 60 - . It takes what 7 years or so to start, code, and implement a MMO?  I hope I can play t but I also hope they continue to make single player games that I can enjoy.  For me,  5-7 years is too long from now to worry about.  Hope all you younger players get what you want tho.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I hope Bethesda realizes that they are going to have to complete the game themselves.

Community wont be able to Mod and tweek an MMO to make it better

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

This discussion has been closed.