Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 - Why do so many hate the ending? ****SPOILERS****

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by dronfwar

"All that content, and this might as well be labeled an expansion pack." 

"And it's free"

EA -> free expansion pack

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

First of all for me ending is just 'nail in the coffin'.

ME3 has many many flaws and is overally designed in wrong way for me.

BW just went even further with making game more actiony & "cinematic" and less rpg.

Not to mention hideous animations , and few really bad scenes / dialogues + even bigger streamlining & simplification of game than in ME2.

Besides I think they'll release another ending as DLC and start new strategy of 'making better quality endings as DLC's for extra money' which is sickening me personally and I don't want to have nothing to do with it and I'll definately don't support it and any of their further game if they do it.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Treekodar

Originally posted by Jimmy562

I believe in the indoctrination theory personally and by that I think the games "ending" is brilliant.

The main thing that makes me believe that theory is simply the kid and the normandy crash landing with people getting out (the exact people I was running down the hill with, except joker obviously).

It could all be bad writing on Biowares part but I'd like to believe the theory is true and shepard isn't done just yet. 

I just read about that theory. Oh my God did that blow me away.

Furthermore, if the endings as they stand are fake, then the resulting vitriol regarding them may well have been planned. Think about that one for a minute — BioWare might have manipulated us into hating the ending of the game. In essence, BioWare would have indoctrinated just about every Mass Effect player into thinking, like Shepard, that the events as they stand are what happened, when that assumption is actually untrue. It wasn’t just Shepard, a cartoon you control, who was indoctrinated — you were indoctrinated, forced to make the Reapers’ choices just as he was, whether you wanted to or not.

It's the likely case that Bioware knowingly screwed up ME3's out of the box ending so they can later provide the real ending... for a price.

In otherwords, when you bought ME3, you were sold an incomplete game for $60 (more if you got the day one DLC or collector's edition).

I enjoyed it. Complete or not I got my moneys worth.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by Treekodar

Originally posted by Jimmy562

I believe in the indoctrination theory personally and by that I think the games "ending" is brilliant.

The main thing that makes me believe that theory is simply the kid and the normandy crash landing with people getting out (the exact people I was running down the hill with, except joker obviously).

It could all be bad writing on Biowares part but I'd like to believe the theory is true and shepard isn't done just yet. 

I just read about that theory. Oh my God did that blow me away.

Furthermore, if the endings as they stand are fake, then the resulting vitriol regarding them may well have been planned. Think about that one for a minute — BioWare might have manipulated us into hating the ending of the game. In essence, BioWare would have indoctrinated just about every Mass Effect player into thinking, like Shepard, that the events as they stand are what happened, when that assumption is actually untrue. It wasn’t just Shepard, a cartoon you control, who was indoctrinated — you were indoctrinated, forced to make the Reapers’ choices just as he was, whether you wanted to or not.

It does indeed look like Bioware is gearing up for a mssive troll.  Something is going on for sure.

People saying the indoctrination thoery is bunk weren't paying antention to their game. It may not be 100% correct but it is the only theory in which so much of it adds up.  It amazes me there are people who outright dismiss it.  Maybe it was easier to spot a lot of this playing a paragon,I don't know. 

But to just dimiss it all......   Not only were these players not paying attention to the game, they are saying Bioware completely ignored everything they had written and done up to that point with the game / games as well...

IN Mass Effect 3 alone:

What happened to Cerberus, TIM, was enough to rule out control.  If watching what happened to Cerberus prior to the ending events wasn't enough to make someone go "Two of those options sound fishy." 

What was  Javiks take on synthesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-BBeC5KFo&feature=related

-The faint radio message that tells us no one got onboard.  Yet who was there?

-The reaper who ignored us as we walked on through the hall once onboard.

-Shepards team getting back to the Normandy for the crash landing.

-Shepard's body taking a breath. Not to mention the location of his body.

This post shows a few other things.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4826577/postAction/reply/quote/true

There's many more posts pointing out solid information linking ingame consistencies with the theory.  Not just one or two things.  The forums are being hammered so hard it's a real task just to keep up with it all. 

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Doomedfox

I wasn't blown away by the ending it could have been better but in my opinion it wasn't  really as bad as many people say it is either.

Someone said it wouldn't make sense that the Reapers were created to kill organics so that synthetic lifeforms wouldn't kill the organics.If you do put it like that it does sound like a huge hole in the story but the fact was that the reapers were created to kill some organics (the ones advances enough to create the synthetic lifeforms) but not all where as if they would just let them live they would eventually create beings that would kill all organic being.

So i think it make somewhat sense the real problem here is why  would it happen all 50000 years that does not make any sense.

Someone else said that all the decisions and all the work you did it the games wouldn't matter since in the end its all about picking one of 3 switches so you could just have waited for them on Earth jump into the beam and hit the switch.

Well that is a rather stupid thing to say i am afraid for the whole scenario wouldn't even have happened if not for your actions before there wouldn't even have been the switches since no one would have worked on the Crucible and even if they would have worked on it without the help it wouldn't have been finished in time nor would there be enough ships to protect it while bringing it to earth hell the Citadel would not even be anywhere near earth if not for all the things you did working towards the end.

Like i said i don't think the ending was awesome but it was good enough and i am rather pleased we did not get one of the standard Happy Endings.

The problem with the "we created a race of sythentics to wipe out organics so they don't make synthetics which wipe out organics", outside of the "why does that happen every 50k years", is that especially if Shepard went out of the way to broker a peace between the geth and the quarian.  You are told by this that your choice didn't matter.

As far as "well that is a rather stupid thing to say, everything you did to get up to the ending had an impact" you are sorta making the point of critics.  The ending has no relation to the choices you made before.  You make choices to arrive at the ending.  Which I suppose would be fine, had Bioware not loudly proclaimed they weren't going to do that.  They specifically stated "we won't have an A B C ending."  We got precisely an A B C ending, and the A B C ending all ends the same way "mass relays are destroyed, Joker abandons his post."

We aren't looking for a "happy" ending.  I'd be fine with Commander Shepard dying.  Yet at least have it make sense.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by JayBirdz

People saying the indoctrination thoery is bunk weren't paying antention to their game. It may not be 100% correct but it is the only theory in which so much of it adds up.  It amazes me there are people who outright dismiss it.  Maybe it was easier to spot a lot of this playing a paragon,I don't know. 

But to just dimiss it all......   Not only were these players not paying attention to the game, they are saying Bioware completely ignored everything they had written and done up to that point with the game / games as well...

IN Mass Effect 3 alone:

What happened to Cerberus, TIM, was enough to rule out control.  If watching what happened to Cerberus prior to the ending events wasn't enough to make someone go "Two of those options sound fishy." 

What was  Javiks take on synthesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-BBeC5KFo&feature=related

-The faint radio message that tells us no one got onboard.  Yet who was there?

-The reaper who ignored us as we walked on through the hall once onboard.

-Shepards team getting back to the Normandy for the crash landing.

-Shepard's body taking a breath. Not to mention the location of his body.

This post shows a few other things.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4826577/postAction/reply/quote/true

There's many more posts pointing out solid information linking ingame consistencies with the theory.  Not just one or two things.  The forums are being hammered so hard it's a real task just to keep up with it all. 

A lot of people don't see it because they don't want to admit they got fooled and were complaining for the wrong reasons. They have been complaining that the ending sucks when they should be complaining that there was no ending. This was all a cash grab and publcity stunt by Bioware.

Bioware is probably running the retake Mass Effect 3 movement. What is the movement asking for? A new ending to ME3. If Bioware already made an ending and planned to release it as DLC then this doesn't affect them negativiely.

It's actually an ingenious diabolical plan.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by iceman00

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

My primary problem with the ending is it didn't reflect the war assets you were assembling over the entire game.  I would expect different aspects to the ending depending on specifically which war assets you gathered.  It was just lazy of them to use an aggregate "score" to determine the endings.  That was my main problem.  Other than that though I really enjoyed ME3.  If you bothered to dialogue with the NPCs throughout it really sucked you in emotionally.  It made me sad saying the goodbyes for instance right before the final push LOL.

And it is what made the ending worse.  I don't want to hear synthetics and organics will inevitably always war.  I just brokered peace between the quarian and the geth, and dammit, it wasn't easy.  There was a ton of emotional buildup and absolutely no payoff whatsoever.

Yes it was....we wimply(EDIT no not "wimply"....just "simply" EDIT) needed a high enough paragon level. :P

I couldnt stand the ending, but I wanted the "Lets dance" mega happy ending. When you take the time to play thru all 3 games, do all the content, and develop a connection with your characters, you sure dont wanna see the quick flash of them walking out onto a planet, and calling it a series.

As someone else indicated....no closure. Forget the fact that the Reapers explanation was a convaluted mess.....BW should of knew fans would need more than that few seconds of folks exiting the Normandy.

The proverbial "arrow to their knee" would be extreme, but I could go for giving them a "spitball to the nose".

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

My primary problem with the ending is it didn't reflect the war assets you were assembling over the entire game.  I would expect different aspects to the ending depending on specifically which war assets you gathered.  It was just lazy of them to use an aggregate "score" to determine the endings.  That was my main problem.  Other than that though I really enjoyed ME3.  If you bothered to dialogue with the NPCs throughout it really sucked you in emotionally.  It made me sad saying the goodbyes for instance right before the final push LOL.

And it is what made the ending worse.  I don't want to hear synthetics and organics will inevitably always war.  I just brokered peace between the quarian and the geth, and dammit, it wasn't easy.  There was a ton of emotional buildup and absolutely no payoff whatsoever.

Yes it was....we wimply(EDIT no not "wimply"....just "simply" EDIT) needed a high enough paragon level. :P

I couldnt stand the ending, but I wanted the "Lets dance" mega happy ending. When you take the time to play thru all 3 games, do all the content, and develop a connection with your characters, you sure dont wanna see the quick flash of them walking out onto a planet, and calling it a series.

As someone else indicated....no closure. Forget the fact that the Reapers explanation was a convaluted mess.....BW should of knew fans would need more than that few seconds of folks exiting the Normandy.

The proverbial "arrow to their knee" would be extreme, but I could go for giving them a "spitball to the nose".

I used to be a Mass Effect fan like you, then I had to choose between red, green, or blue.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Whoever posted that video of all the endings side by side needs an award. 

That was soooo...LoL- worthy.  I cant believe no one called that out while they were developing it! Or maybe EA shut them up...

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Castillle

Whoever posted that video of all the endings side by side needs an award. 

That was soooo...LoL- worthy.  I cant believe no one called that out while they were developing it! Or maybe EA shut them up...

It's likely that the half assed "ending" is because it's a fake ending.

Of course, that's by no means an excuse for it... particularly if the real ending ends up being a DLC.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

*snip*

Of course, that's by no means an excuse for it... particularly if the real ending ends up being a DLC.

It's not a fake ending. That's already been debunked by Geoff Keighley's behind-the-scenes iPad app. It's a multi-media (photos, video, interviews) look at the making of the game's ending, and it's pretty clear that both Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were pleased with the way the shipped ending turned out. I definitely understand the desire to wish it was a fake ending, but the facts in evidence no longer support that theory.

(Note: Keighley isn't a BioWare employee, he's a video game journalist who paid for the production costs of the app himself).

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Jenuviel

*snip*

It's not a fake ending. That's already been debunked by Geoff Keighley's behind-the-scenes iPad app. It's a multi-media (photos, video, interviews) look at the making of the game's ending, and it's pretty clear that both Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were pleased with the way the shipped ending turned out. I definitely understand the desire to wish it was a fake ending, but the facts in evidence no longer support that theory.

(Note: Keighley isn't a BioWare employee, he's a video game journalist who paid for the production costs of the app himself).

The people who made Fallout's ending were content, until they had to retcon it.

I'm sure they thought this was a great idea at the time.  But they've already done a lot of damage to their reputation.  Walking it back is the first step to restoring that image, if it ever can be restored.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I don't know if I hate the ending, but the ending ensures I never pay for another Bioware game again. 

The ending was horrible.  There was no choice and nothing mattered.  The last 15 minutes I did not play the game I watched it.  If I wanted to have a passive entertainment experience I would watch a movie or a show.  Video games at there very nature are interactive.  The ending was not.

The end did not make any sense, as people have pointed out.

It made everything you did, all of the hours invested, a waste.  Who the hell wants to unite the univers just to destroy it?  How is that satisfing at all. 

On top of everything, if the ending is all a dram or what ever the hell people want to call it, that would be the worst of all possible things.  WTF would I want to purchase a game without an end??? WTF is the point of that???  I did not put 140+ hours into a trilogy to get a dream ending. 

I was honestly thinking about going back and playing all 3 games again when I was playing ME3.  Now I am planning on selling them to gamestop as quickly as possible. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

I think Jeremy's video sums it up best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4H_A7SeawU4#!

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• SolitaryknitSolitaryknit Member UncommonPosts: 6

Originally posted by JayBirdz

Closure with the ending. I decided to finish up the last few missions last night instead of waiting for something that may never come.  DLC explaining what just happened.

The indoctrination theory is sound.  Matter of fact I don't see how someone couldn't of picked up on it.  From about three or four missions out from the ending that was a HUGE subject. When you go to get the relic is where it's starts getting thrown in the players face over and over and over and over.   

So the question is when did Shepards indoctrination start? Right after that beam hit Shepard or after he went through the transport beam.  If he didn't even make it through the transport beam then how did the alliance fair in the fight?  It's safe to say at some point in the Mass Effect timeline the alliance won.  The scene with the old man and boy tells us this. 

Or does it????

There's no indication the Alliance "won" in the old man's words.  Just that, more or less, something like this happened.  It is obviously far removed from those events, as that society (strongly implied) cannot yet reach space.  It could simply have been a story of humanities last stand.

Here's what I wonder?  What if the protheans "destruction" was simply them being turned into the Collectors?  They became servants of the Reapers, and the "lesser species" were permitted to evolve without the Protheans holding them back.  If that is a race that cannot reach space yet with the old man, could it be simply that the cycle continued, with or without the reapers?

There were a lot of ways Bioware could've done something.  They were onto something.  But it just didn't happen.

Possible Spoilers.

I apologize before-hand. There are 10 pages and I didn't get through them all, but if you recall or romanced Liara ( I can't be sure it's either or) she created an object that retold your story.. and you had a few options. I chose to have her tell it true.. So keep in mind, that small addition may have led to why Shepard was revelled the way he was in the end with the old man and boy. A few scenarios play out in my mind. 1) The old man is joker.. and after crash landing on the planet its his son. (Makes more sense if you chose synthetic ending) or 2) That they've recovered Liaras 'relic' and uncovered all the information needed and then THEY beat the reapers.

Think about it, put the shepard arc aside. Had mankind had the information they had at the end... from the beginning I can only assume that the outcome would have been different. Just my opinion. 

• SolitaryknitSolitaryknit Member UncommonPosts: 6

-- Oh and side note. If you don't know, or do and care. There are about 12 petitions currently circulating online. The top two petitions have 15k signatures.. Each.  Google them. Participate. 

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

I'm curious if there is anything special about the "gift" Liara gives you before the main push to the citadel beam. She does something weird with your mind, i wonder if this is something that can be lent towards the indoc/hallucination theory.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

The people who made Fallout's ending were content, until they had to retcon it.

I'm sure they thought this was a great idea at the time.  But they've already done a lot of damage to their reputation.  Walking it back is the first step to restoring that image, if it ever can be restored.

Oh, I'm with you on that. They've apparently done themselves a fair amount of damage, but they can repair some of it if they're willing to put in the resources. Even if that's the case, though, we're probably months away from seeing anything that would adequately calm the storm. If they try to just edit together something with what's already there, it's not really going to make anyone feel any better. As if that weren't tricky enough, they also have to worry about generating backlash from the people who actually like the ending as it stands. There's no statistically viable way to tell how many of those people there are, since few gamers actually post on forums, and the majority of those who do are posting to complain. It's a biased sample.

In any case, if you make a band-aid solution, you enrage the currently dissatisfied; amputate a leg, you irritate the people who currently like you. It's an unenviable position to be in, and it's going to take a great deal of effort and inspiration to get them out of it. Even if they get it exactly right, they'll still be left with some long-lasting repercussions. What percentage of Amazon.com, Gamestop.com, et cetera reviewers are going to go back and change their ratings three or four months from now? Probably not many. A lot of people will have moved on by then, which means the game's going to be stuck with its 2-star rating for quite some time. The whole thing's pretty unfortunate. One thing's for certain, however: they really need to acknowledge what's occuring, or it's just going to get worse. They can't hope to outmaneuver a social media wildfire, which is what it's become.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

*snip*

I have to pay for the information you are suggesting. While he may have some super secret information that proves your case. The proof of burden still rests upon you.

Until you provide that information we can't have a debate. Your whole arguement is "guy proved you wrong. Here is a link go buy the proof." 

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Atlan99

*snip*

I have to pay for the information you are suggesting. While he may have some super secret information that proves your case. The proof of burden still rests upon you.

Until you provide that information we can't have a debate. Your whole arguement is "guy proved you wrong. Here is a link go buy the proof." 

Well basically the app states that the ending that we got was something they thought was a good idea, although they had initially scrapped a version of the ending that would have shepard fighting indoctrination. People are pretty much taking it both ways though. Someone had a bunch of the information up on BSN then the mods shut the forum down to clean it out.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by kassier

I wouldve had TIM/Harbinger/Catalyst Hybrid monster with TIM's eyes. Either way the ending theory atm is Shepard fighting indoctrination. Hopefully a DLC gets released with the option to refuse, and hopefully get a real final boss with harbinger in there somewhere. Hes been MIA the whole game.

Seriously? We're willing to pay for REAL endings now? 3 games and several DLC's isn't enough. If I have to buy a DLC for a REAL ending, it better come with that N7 leather jacket @ no cost. Screw it, I say EA gets burried, didn't they lose like 2.2 billion in the last few years?

Then again, with market scamming being the prevalent form of money making, you can "lose" money, get tax cuts cuz u lost money AND make a profit simultaneously. Unless it's R&D for a console Oo blah, conjecture. They should die after how they gutted and cloned little shit gremlin biowares everywhere... LOL put that glass apparatus down Sir!

Uh yeah I loved Harbinger. What happened to him again?

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

lurking social.bioware. lololo. this shit is so fake!!!

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/4/48438/2150483-1331884897290.png 

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

I actually want EAware  to do make a DLC ending for Mass Effect 3, because then hopefully even the most stubborn zealots will realize how wrong things have gone. There needs to be a wake-up call.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Had the synthesis ending, for me it was an epic end to one of the best trilogy ever made...hell i had tears coming down when Shepard sacrificed himself and unleashed his energy. 

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Had the synthesis ending, for me it was an epic end to one of the best trilogy ever made...hell i had tears coming down when Shepard sacrificed himself and unleashed his energy. 

If your scores are high enough then you choose destruction just to see what it did and right after thought this.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10156940/1

"Shepard breathing Ending

I'd like to understand one simple question:

WHY the Shep breathing end ONLY happens when you choose the 'destroy' option?

I've already tried control and synthesis with the same save file, and didnt happened...

Thats intriguing to me, despite all indoc/hallucination theories..

What do you guys think about this?"

What's going on at this point?  Who knows.  It's hard to believe that they made such a great game/games then dropped the ball in the last 20 minutes. I think it's all planned (ending dlc).  I don't think Bioware expected this sort of reaction from their playerbase, which caught them off-guard.