Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Diablo 3 Delay Guild wars for many additional Months?

will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

If arenanet is smart they have a few choices... One... Beat blizzard to the punch, but i don't think that's happening. I can't see them being able to release by may 15th. Their beta's sound like once a month.. I am betting this gets pushed to October, Figuring gamers will be somewhat burnt out with D3 by then.

I guess i plan on playing both, i'm shocked d3 is may 15th, that's a no brainer by them, beating gw2 just got alot easier. Imagine if Arenanet released gw2 Middle of june, or end of june. How torn would you be?

As a hardcore pvp'er i prefer gw2, but really...Diablo 3, who's not gonna buy that?

Comments

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Huh? I'll be buying both but apples and oranges,man, apples and oranges....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264

i dont need to choose, since i can afford to buy both, GW because Anet hasnt let me down yet, and Diablo cause of its more darker type hack'n'slash feel. and being fan of the series..

But, why would they need to delay a game, because of other company? they are both quite cheap, come from companies that have pretty much nothing to fear from each other. Target audience can always choose if they want one or the other, wether its sooner or later..

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by lakoka

Always downloaded those games

MMO can't be downloaded.

I think...

I assume by download you mean illegally?

How about you not be a dirtbag and pay for it.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

I highly doubt it, Diablo 3 has only 1 month, if that worth of content to keep you busy. GW2 will most likely already be coming out in mid June. Honestly I think it's lining up perfectly.

also dont set your sights too high on Diablo 3 you are liable to be disappointed. 

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by ariboersma

I highly doubt it, Diablo 3 has only 1 month, if that worth of content to keep you busy. GW2 will most likely already be coming out in mid June. Honestly I think it's lining up perfectly.

also dont set your sights too high on Diablo 3 you are liable to be disappointed. 

same goes for GW2.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• lazjenlazjen Member Posts: 17

I expect zero impact from Diablo 3 release on whaterver ANet is planning for GW2. 

Different companies

Different style of game

The biggest impact on their release date will be the remaining work to be done, plus the outcome of the beta events.

• FareasFareas Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by will75

If arenanet is smart they have a few choices... One... Beat blizzard to the punch, but i don't think that's happening. I can't see them being able to release by may 15th. Their beta's sound like once a month.. I am betting this gets pushed to October, Figuring gamers will be somewhat burnt out with D3 by then.

I guess i plan on playing both, i'm shocked d3 is may 15th, that's a no brainer by them, beating gw2 just got alot easier. Imagine if Arenanet released gw2 Middle of june, or end of june. How torn would you be?

As a hardcore pvp'er i prefer gw2, but really...Diablo 3, who's not gonna buy that?

There won't be any pvp in Diablo 3 at launch so until there is that's a no buy for me it's such a staple of the series to have PvP I was sad. :(

Originally posted by ElderRat

Originally posted by ariboersma

same goes for GW2.

unless you are in GW2 beta I don't think you can make that claim. I can make it regarding D3.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I think that those assumptions at D3 & GW2 "clashing" are vastly vastly overrated.

Apples & oranges.

Diffrent games. Sure they will share some playerbase ,but  overall they are just diffrent kind of games.

Kinda sad though with all this D3  talk on mmorpg site and community. It's not even mmo ,not mmorpg either.

Just hack & slash.

I am betting GW2 release in July.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

I wouldn't be torn at all.

Sorry Diablo III fans, keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but... I thought that Diablo III was pretty shit, to be honest. My time with it didn't yield much fun. It's just bascally a single-player WoW with some gimmicks (and they are gimmicks) tacked on. The novelty value of the gimmicks will wear off fast, then only the determined grinders will remain.

The problem with Diablo III (and I said this on another forum earlier) is that it's being created by a bunch of unknowns.

No, it really is. I know what I'm talking about.

Diablo died pretty much when Blizzard North, the people responsible for Diablo and Diablo II, left Blizzard. Blizzard North was a separate development house that worked under the Blizzard name, but when Blizzard started getting too corporate and pushy, to the point where they felt they were no longer allowed to spend the time and resources to make the quality games that they're known for, they just cut their losses and quit.

You'll love this next part.

Blizzard North then split up into two new development houses, bringing on extra people for their own divergent projects. These are two names that you may be familiar with:

ArenaNet and Runic Games.

Now we obviously know ArenaNet. Yes, some of the Diablo guys are there. And Runic Games are the people working on Torchlight II, which is looking absolutely phenomenal. And one great thing about Torchlight II is that they're priding themselves on not doing what Blizzard is doing, some examples being the monetised auction house and needing to be online to play a single-player game (both of which I think are bad).

So, yeah...

The guys who made the Diablo that I loved as a Diablo fan are no longer with Blizzard. They have a group of unknowns working on Diablo III and because of that Diablo III has become just WoW, just WoW. Single-player WoW, yes, but it's WoW through andt hrough. And I want Diablo, damn it, not WoW. But that's where Torchlight II comes in. Torchlight II is a spiritual successor to Diablo II and more Diablo than Diablo III will ever be.

So, yeah... I'm just going to give Diablo III a miss, it's not worth it.

Torchlight II however, along with Guild Wars 2, are way up on my 'to buy' list.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I don't think Arenanet have to worry too much about Diablo 3. D3 is looking like a shallow consoleified game, I believe many people will buy it and tire quickly, then they'll be looking for the next shiny game.

The D3 development has been full of disappointments for me, the game is so dumbed down compared to Diablo 2, it has come to the point where I don't want to support what Blizzard are doing and D2 is my favourite game of all time.

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by lakoka

Always downloaded those games

MMO can't be downloaded.

I think...

1. illegal dl? kinda cheap of you i think

2. i'm guessing you havn't really been following D3 or maybe i'm wrong since i have not either but i am pretty sure its online only to combat piracy if that is what your saying so maybe you will have to choose 0.0 or i dono pay?

Either way i liked D2 but i read very little into D3 and stopped with the online thing RMT sure w/e but then saw some videos and really didn't care to did further maybe if my friend who is getting it likes it i'll rethink it. But i don't think either game will have a LARGE impact on eithers sales maybe some here and there but honestly i have single player games i play when i don't feel like doing my MMO's or want more of a story.

Why does everyone want to think that GW2 is the same as single player games just because of the payment method, still an mmo even if B2P

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

So, yeah... I'm just going to give Diablo III a miss, it's not worth it.

Torchlight II however, along with Guild Wars 2, are way up on my 'to buy' list.

I am looking forward for Torchlight II also but its not going to stop me from buying D3.. just not gonna be a game that will last ages and ages and wont compete with GW2 at all. Has there been any info lately on Torchlight II? I haven't seen anything since hrm maybe last fall.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Anet could probably not care less about Diablo 3.  Doubt they are really worried about anyone else.  They are doing their own thing, just like everyone else.  Now if someone stole their code and was getting set to release a mockery of their hard work, and they lost the lawsuit, maybe then.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Not going to effect GW2 at all, not even a little.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Roin

Anet could probably not care less about Diablo 3.  Doubt they are really worried about anyone else.  They are doing their own thing, just like everyone else.  Now if someone stole their code and was getting set to release a mockery of their hard work, and they lost the lawsuit, maybe then.

Yeah, I doubt they are too worried.  Games (and movies) are sometimes shifted a bit to get out of the shadow of a behemoth, but they certainly won't be shifting by MONTHS.  Weeks at worst.  And I'm not sure how high the buzz is on D3.

I remember people worried that MW3 would lose sales because BF3 released the month before under great hype and fanfare.  Turns out MW3 smashed their own records anyway.  The holiday season schedule is a much bigger driver for game releases than other game releases...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The games are rather different and both B2P so I don't really see either of the companies caring about when the other game is releasing.

In worst case people might wait a month buying one or the other, but that really doesn't matter in the end.

Some people will get one or the other, some will get both, when they release have very little to do with it.

Besides. D3 might get delayed  again. You never know with Blizz.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

I played Diablo 2 to death, but 95% of that time was spent item farming.   I don't think I'll be doing the same for D3, so I don't see it lasting longer than a month for me.  

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I really don't understand where people get these airhead ideas that GW2 and D3 are in direct competition.  They are both of different genres and and those who intend to get GW2 or D3 or even both games will do exactly that.  Anet doesnt need to delay or release earlier.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

GW2 will be happy if you buy the game 3 months after release, less server stress at release.

Smartest move would be releasing at the same day as D3..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Loke666

The games are rather different and both B2P so I don't really see either of the companies caring about when the other game is releasing.

In worst case people might wait a month buying one or the other, but that really doesn't matter in the end.

Some people will get one or the other, some will get both, when they release have very little to do with it.

Besides. D3 might get delayed  again. You never know with Blizz.

actually the only thing holding it back was the PVP, so they scrapped it for release. They will bring it out later. I wish they did it sooner before they screwed up the crafting system to all hell and made the bookshelves completely useless.

• LooneyLadLooneyLad Member Posts: 13

Why do people even connect these 2 games is beyond me, and beyond any logic i know.

A short answer, nO, it wont affect GW2 release date or anything else for that matter. And stop connecting these 2 together, its like connecting water and metal ! (or apples and oranges)

Also who's not buying D3 ? its me, thats who.  Everything they did to that game just pushed me away from it and i wont go into details how everything they added in the game is just to suck out money from you. Have some respect for yourself as a customer and reconsider if they really deserve your money, or future cash shop money. D3 now is just a shell of its former self.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

D3 looks so damn disapointing... I will play Path of Exile instead.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Me for one.

Why would I pay 60 euro for unfinished game? Why would I buy a game I lost interest in over 6 years ago? Why would I want to buy a game, that just got "worst" with every next bit of informaiton Blizzard released about it? (cut after cut after cut). I can just wait for Torchlight 2.

Not to mention GW2 and D3 are completely different games with completely different goals, gameplay and genre. 

• IshoaIshoa Member Posts: 18

ANet: Mwahaha Blizzard fell for our trap! Initiate operation Take-Over.

Seriously though I dont think Anet has much to worry about and I doubt the release of D3 will influence when they plan to release the game to much if at all. With no-sub fee for either game, and arena net publically saying 'with no sub-fee for guild wars 2 people can play our game and still have there MMO they pay for and not have to choose which one to sub for.' That tells me they really arent that concerned with other games because they have true faith in theres. I'm buying both, and if GW2 releases a month or so after D3, then I just have to hope D3 keeps me entertained for a month.