Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wakfu: Our Official Wakfu F2P Review

Comments

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

"Only one row (out of 4 rows) of skill icons can be displayed at any time and this gets very frustrating later in the game when you start unlocking more and more spells."

that's not true. i havent played the game very long, but one the first things i did was enabling more hotbars. dont ask me to remember how i did it, but i know its possible :P

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

This is no way a f2p game. If anyone thinks of downloading to play for free can just give up now. I uninstalled unwillingfully when i realised that, so in addition to that a f2p review doesn't make sense at all and misleading.

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Sandbox: +10

Cutesey: -30

2.5D in 2012: -50

come on, get real. Why can't anyone make a decent real sandbox? Why all this Sesame Street Anime crap? Is everybody here 10 years old??

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

A review of the free trial of a game, by a player who has no clue what there is outside of the free trial?  Seriously?  Did you learn nothing from the awful Spiral Knights reviewer who played for such a short period of time that he somehow managed to completely miss the entire point of the game?

I guess it's better to have the disclaimer there than to have exactly the same review without the disclaimer.  But still, that's pathetic.  If the real review is coming later, that's great, I guess.  Are you going to do that for Spiral Knights, too?  Because that one somehow didn't get a disclaimer.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Another useless review, these are the same guys who gave WOTLK a perfect ten and game SWTOR almost a perfect ten. They also gave EVE online a lower score than this. So I hold their so called " reviews" in suspect.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Helpful review overall, always was curious about Dofus and now Wakfu, may never actually get the time to get around to looking at them though, doh!

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I agree with a bunch of the other posters. I played though some of closed beta and a for a few hours of the open beta.

There's a bunch to this game. First off, like everyone was saying there's no F2P. It's a never-ending free trial.  I don't think the company offically labeled it as such, but you can't do squat without a sub, so it might as well be a trial.  For some reason I think its the same as Dufus, which I think actually have more free content (can't play all the races and you only have access to a few maps).

Anyway, I haven't played since the game went live since I didn't really want to pay for the game. I'm a crafter and this game's crafting seems kinda pointless. You can learn every craft in the game, however nothing you make is better than dungeon drops.  They may have fixed this since beta, though.  Also the miners seem to control the ecomony. They mine ore and make gold, then use it to buy stuff from other players.  I find the really wierd. Again, I could be wrong since I'm going from memory of a game that I haven't played since January.

I did find a bunch of stuff that had potential, most of thich wasn't even touched by the reviewer. Hopefully, I'm remembering them correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

• Player government. You can elect a player to be the governer of different places and they put in place a cabinet. 

• You can be a warrior or guard for the city and PK outlaws, who unbalance the enviroment or whatever.

• Random challenges in certain areas. (collect the most items, kill the most mobs before time runs out, etc)

• Your own little house in a bag thingie. It can be a house or a shop. You can craft/buy furniture and display cases and even store gear in the chests.

There are more, but I can't think of anything else at the moment. 

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    If I'm going to play a F2P game, it's going to be either City Of Heroes or Aion. But only after paying for at least one month since that opens up all kinds of cool stuff :D
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

The only real reason I could see to re-reviewing on a paid account is to let us know whether or not it's worth putting money on. Having said that, and participated in the early beta, I'd like to see the verdict on pay or no pay.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

everything in this game makes me desire to play it with only one strong exception... Combat. I really, really... reaaaally never liked tactics. I dont mind turn based combat (its fun if well done), but tactics killed it for me.

/sadface

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

*snip*

Innovation - 9 / 10

Well, seeing as I've already mentioned how similar Wakfu is to Ultima Online, it's pretty obvious that the innovation for this game is not going to be particularly high.

By your own words you say the innovation in this game is non existant, something seen in many other games, then you give it a 9/10??? Really? Made my day, Thanks.

LOL'ed all over that.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• sigrethsigreth Member UncommonPosts: 21

My only issue with this review, is that there is miss information on basic things. For example, you can display ALL 4 bars of skills. If that simple fact was missed how could Bill Murphy or any one at MMORPG agree that this was a good review? What else was missed by the reviewer? That was a simple basic thing. I'll admit it was not obvious, but it seems like the reviews are getting shottier here at MMORPG.

I'd say next time, take real time out of your busy schedule and take a real look at the game. People rely on what information you give in reviews, they depend on you on whether or not to try a game. As a gaming news site, we gamers expect accurate reporting. Don't mind if they are bias, but at least be accurate.

- Sigreth

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Considering the subscription price is only $6, and the fact that it is free to download and play... what makes if different from any other F2P hybrid?

I found Adrian's review pretty spot on, personally. 

Really? Like his 9/10 for innovation when every single thing he listed as "possible innovation" has been done before?  Including handdrawn sprites, disappearing trees when you chop them, being able to grow your own crops from seeds, every damn thing?

And he even states "it's pretty obvious that the innovation for this game is not going to be particularly high.", then scores it 9/10 for innovation.

Seriously?

You stand by his "review"?

Seriously?

Edit: I seriously hope you didn't pay him, or else you were robbed.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Well, seeing as I've already mentioned how similar Wakfu is to Ultima Online, it's pretty obvious that the innovation for this game is not going to be particularly high.

Innovation - 9 / 10

....yeah, right.

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

It's clear after about 20 mins of playing Wakfu that it is not F2P, despite what Ankama claim. As you have pointed out a lot of key game features require you to be a subscriber and as such I think it was unfair of you to review it as F2P.

This is not a review of Wakfu, it's a review of the Wakfu free trial.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I personally would have reviewed this game as a pay to play game rather than a free to play game. The free to play, which they've labled "play for free" is nothing more than an unlimited (time-wise) trial.

Also to touch on your cons, this is not marketted as a regular MMO. I'm happy that it lacks quests and "modern MMO convienences" for the most part, because it's supposed to be sandboxy. You're supposed to be making your own way through the game.

The story could use a little work. They have the overall one with Ogrest but there's not much in the way of story there either.

There aren't really any NPC's aside from the few you get professions from, so I guess the lack of story makes sense as you're supposed to sort of make your own story too. :P

Regardless, I think it's a good game and for $6 a month, I really can't complain to awful much!

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Originally posted by Boonshniggle

MMORPG did a review of a P2P game on a free trial account, gg amatuers...didn't expect that from them.

Ed Note: In light of feedback from our users and the fact that Wakfu utilizes a "hybrid F2P-subscription model", we'll be adding a second review, or at the minimum, more information about the subscriber version of Wakfu. We'll post this in the next several weeks!

some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining before even reading the whole thing. He clearly missed / ignored the editor note and jumped to the trollboat. Oh well, what would be the world like without them.

cheers ;D and good review

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

Sandbox: +10

Cutesey: -30

2.5D in 2012: -50

come on, get real. Why can't anyone make a decent real sandbox? Why all this Sesame Street Anime crap? Is everybody here 10 years old??

cutesy -30? really? honestly it looks better than every 2d / 2.5d of its genre. Sadly i dont like tactics and point to click and move without WASD. That alone is keeping me from subbing to it.

But we all have opinions so, i got mine you got yours ;)

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

those kinda games only have fun in mobile fun not on a decent pc .

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

This review is ludicrous beyond belief. The game does not have a 'F2P' mode, it has a very limited trial mode.

You're flat-out wrong on so many things that i'd have to write an entire article to correct them all.

And I really can't believe i'm seeing some people say the combat in wakfu is too simplistic. I mean, yeah you certainly have the option to just spam one or two abilities but that doesn't really work once you get deeper into the game. This is not as simplistic as WoW-style combat, so don't approach it like it is or you'll make things very frustrating for yourself later on.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Wakfu and Dofus, couldnt they think of better names for their mmo?

• ArbedeArbede Member UncommonPosts: 19

Play Ragnarok Online. Its still much better game.

• CollaborCollabor Member UncommonPosts: 37

Antarek made a good post, but one correction:

governor's do set PvP laws, but these laws are in effect for 2 weeks (the same as their term in office). At any time during these 2 weeks, the governor can change the laws again (if the citizens demand it), but this will cost him citizen points.

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Antareks post has actually made me want to see more, player driven mecahnics like that can be really interesting when done right, ill grab a month sub and see where it goes.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

All I can say is, if you want to do a review. Please review the whole content, not just the F2P part. Bad review IMO.