Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR sub stablizes at 1.7M subs

2»

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

atm i,m on the weekend free trial..i,m one of the guys who played beta.population wise on the server i,m on or whatever you call it,there are people wherever i go questing.doing justicar quests atm,lvl 14..dont understand why the worry over how many subs this game has?if you like it play it,if you dont then dont play ,simples.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by superniceguy

STO is good for its space (not as good as SWG but better than SWTOR), and also STO has a decent companion system too where you have Bridge Officers that support and act like droids on your ship in SWG, or join you in Away missions, and can have several with you at once, which satisfies my multi-boxing interest. You can also have Duty Officers which you then use to send on missions to acquire stuff and get XP. I was quite pleased to hear that SWTOR was going to have companions but are restricted to having one out at a time, so I think STO wins over SWTOR with the companion system too.

When did they implement that in STO? I played STO at launch and then a year later and the only thing companions were good for was landing parties. You didn't interact with them and they tended to be more of a pain than a help. Never once in TOR have I had to run back into a structure to "unstick" a companion. In STO I did it frequently.Unless STO has improved their companion system by leaps and bounds then it pales in comparison to what TOR offers. 

I do not hate SWTOR yet as there is still hope that LA/Bioware may sandbox SWTOR up a bit, considering LA shut down SWG to make way for SWTOR, to try and force SWG players into SWTOR. If SWG carried on for a bit longer and together with SWTOR without SWG pending closure, then SWTOR would have been viewed more so as a separate game in its own right, and there would be less desire to make it into SWG 2, but as SWG shut down right before SWTOR launched, SWG players had their game pulled from under them, with no adequte replacement, and SWTOR is only the only hope for trying to get it back, by adding SWG elements to SWTOR. If LA wants SWG players to move to SWTOR, then SWTOR needs to be beefed up, and not remain in its simplistic mediocre form.

Wrong and not even close. SWG vets were wanting this to be SWG 2 from the very moment that the game was first announced. When it was revealed that TOR was not going to be SWG part 2, the vets littered this forum for many months with their hate filled diatribes. This all happened LONG before the announcement of SWG's demise.

And once again, this is not the SWG forums. Please either let it go or take it to the proper forums.

Indeed we seriously don't need that torrent of rage again.  

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Sith2112

Really? Now arguing about game subscription rates and company financials?

What ever happened to just playing a game or not playing it because you don't enjoy it?

Some people are interested in more than playing game 'x' and what topping to have on their next pizza.

Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. ---- Clues right there.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

What ever happened to just playing a game or not playing it because you don't enjoy it?

I guess you would need to ask the original poster why he dragged this week old story up again.
  • Sith2112Sith2112 Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by RefMinor

I guess you would need to ask the original poster why he dragged this week old story up again.

Actually.. That was the intent. 

Originally posted by Omnifish

STO is good for its space (not as good as SWG but better than SWTOR), and also STO has a decent companion system too where you have Bridge Officers that support and act like droids on your ship in SWG, or join you in Away missions, and can have several with you at once, which satisfies my multi-boxing interest. You can also have Duty Officers which you then use to send on missions to acquire stuff and get XP. I was quite pleased to hear that SWTOR was going to have companions but are restricted to having one out at a time, so I think STO wins over SWTOR with the companion system too.

When did they implement that in STO? I played STO at launch and then a year later and the only thing companions were good for was landing parties. You didn't interact with them and they tended to be more of a pain than a help. Never once in TOR have I had to run back into a structure to "unstick" a companion. In STO I did it frequently.Unless STO has improved their companion system by leaps and bounds then it pales in comparison to what TOR offers. 

I do not hate SWTOR yet as there is still hope that LA/Bioware may sandbox SWTOR up a bit, considering LA shut down SWG to make way for SWTOR, to try and force SWG players into SWTOR. If SWG carried on for a bit longer and together with SWTOR without SWG pending closure, then SWTOR would have been viewed more so as a separate game in its own right, and there would be less desire to make it into SWG 2, but as SWG shut down right before SWTOR launched, SWG players had their game pulled from under them, with no adequte replacement, and SWTOR is only the only hope for trying to get it back, by adding SWG elements to SWTOR. If LA wants SWG players to move to SWTOR, then SWTOR needs to be beefed up, and not remain in its simplistic mediocre form.

Wrong and not even close. SWG vets were wanting this to be SWG 2 from the very moment that the game was first announced. When it was revealed that TOR was not going to be SWG part 2, the vets littered this forum for many months with their hate filled diatribes. This all happened LONG before the announcement of SWG's demise.

And once again, this is not the SWG forums. Please either let it go or take it to the proper forums.

Indeed we seriously don't need that torrent of rage again.  

Originally posted by Omnifish

Some people just can't accept other opinons are different then theres, so it's best just to leave them to it :P

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Anyone who takes at face value what a CEO says about the relative success of their product with such a huge investment shouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors. It's like the Church of Scientology claiming 15 million+ members, a number which is noTORiously fluffed at least 10-20 fold by considering a member to be anyone who gets nudged into a 'church' and sold a book before never darkening their doors again. At the very least, you have to presume EA are statistically biased in favour of a number that will make investors happy. That said, I am sure they've doubled their investment at this stage so mission accomplished I guess.       

• Sith2112Sith2112 Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by Gorilla

Some people are interested in more than playing game 'x' and what topping to have on their next pizza.

Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. ---- Clues right there.

Agreed and understood.

But let'e be honest, discussing subscriptions is really a mute point. The game will do how the game will do. 

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

In the defence of the OP I think he made the mistake of trusting the Joystiq article. There was a new press release Joystiq in quoting it and adding a couple of lines of commentary still managed to get it 'wrong'.

Actually.. That was the intent. 

Still waiting for an answer to that, I asked earlier
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Dunno when Duty Officers was added was too busy playing SWG last year, It is in STO now

As for SWG that was not the point, and what is the harm in trying to get SWG stuff into SWTOR? These forums are the right place for it, unless SWG is coming back? LA have pushed me into SWTOR, and they may have taken me out of SWG, but they can not take SWG out of me, it is in me good and proper!

With SWG shutting down Dec 15th and SWTOR beginning Dec 20th, LA have basically said to me to quit SWG and play SWTOR, so I now look to SWTOR, but it is lacking in many key areas, so I now try and point out the good things, and hopefully the right people will hear, and add it. If SWG ran along side SWTOR for a while, then SWTOR would have been viewed as a separate different game on its own merits, and if I did not find SWTOR fulflling would not expect SWTOR to change to cater for SWG players, as SWG would have shut down due to actually being dead.

My views of SWG in the previous post was my opinion and people who played SWG to the end, and there are the vets you speak of who also wanted SWG 2. I did not care that SWTOR was not SWG 2 until SWG shut down, as SWTOR + SWG would have been an awesome combination, now that SWTOR is what it is and severely lacking in many areas and no where near a competant MMO, let alone not being a SWG 2, then it needs to shape up, hard and fast.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i just wish i could see more people per area, instead of 50 people in Hutta, 97 people in Taris, etc....

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I, for one, do not believe for one second that SWTOR's subs have stabilized at 1.7mil.  Anyone that believes that has partaken of better herbs than I ever have and I have had some really good stuff.  :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

this analyst prediction sounded reasonable to me

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-08-star-wars-the-old-republic-sitting-at-nearly-1-7-million-paid-subscribers

Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz is estimating 2 million monthly subscribers by the end of June 2012.

We also note that the company plans to launch Star Wars in the Asia-Pacific region later this month," Creutz said in a statement.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

There are multiple threads on this topic already.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.