Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Comments

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by MosesZD

YES!.   This is good news because Bethesda, unlike BioWare, understands open, dynamic worlds.   And they don't spend a lot of their production budget on cutscenes.   Something other companies also undertand:

This is from an interview with Brian Fargo who is remaking the classic Wasteland:

GZ: So in the Kickstarter, you were saying you were planning for six months of pre-development and 12 months of development, how far along would you say the game is now?

Brian Fargo: We were working on a lot of the storyline, and the character development and individual plot scenes, but to that extent, that work's been done. There's still a tremendous amount of work that still needs to get done. It's funny because when you talk about the $1 million you've got one group of people saying 'Wow, how can you do it for so cheap?' but then others saying 'I know an indie that made a game for 30 grand, why does it cost so much?' For making a full scale RPG, it really isn't that much, you have to become super proficient. One of the things that saves us money is not doing cut-scenes. Those are incredibly expensive and time consuming and frankly, the hardcore crowd doesn't care that much about them, so that saves us a tremendous amount of time.  ...

http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/exclusive-interview-brian-fargo-talks-wasteland-2

BioWare used to know that.   But they listed to the lamest of the casuals who wanted cutscenes, easy, challenge-less combat-oriented game play and lame 8th grade romances...     And the fanboys and press so-over praised them for it, they've gotten worse and worse and worse in shoving all this into their games.

Now it's to the point that ME3 has a 'no combat' option and you can just 'watch' the story with occassional input..   I'm like WHAT?   And while I don't think combat should be the focus of a CRPG as, to me, all that combat is just disguised grinding and padding to hide a short story.   But you shouldn't get rid of all combat either and dumb a game down so much that it becomes a third-rate animated film with a crappy ending.

On the othe hand, Bethesda seldom gets fanboy love.  Their fans still rip them for even the slightest flaw.  So, unlike BioWare who has fallen into the mirror of slavish fan devotion,  I don't think Bethesda is going to make the same narcissitic mistake.

The slightest flaw? How many system lock ups per game does a user endure when playing Bethesda games I wonder. I would put the avg at 5.5 myself.

They didnt earn the rep for buggy games just because. My God, I enjoyed both FO3 and Oblivion, but I also cursed numerous times with the issues. That is the type of shit we expected during the early days of gaming. Not during the present.

Gotta shake my head at your rationale....both here and other threads.

As far as an ES MMO game....I expect it will play like EQ, just like the SP version does.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Eladi

Intresting, but also *shiver*  ..the most buggy game maker of all times is going to make a MMO based on the bugged game IP  of all times and a mmo aint got a toolset to let the comunity fix it..  not a single Elderscrols game was ever bug free ,every single one has bin "fixed" by the comunity well besites the few else Elderscrolls games we hated (and yes there were even a few realy bad ones back in the day) 

And the same for every BioWare game since Baldur's Gate.   Heck, ME1 and ME2 still have bugs they never fixed because why go back and fix walkmesh when you've already sold 99% of what you're ever going to sell?

And the same for Diablo I & II.   And the same for...

As for Skyrim, my duaghter went over 400hrs this week.   I'm just at 136.   I had two crashes.   She had three, but we discovered that two of them were caused by a different progam she'd left open.   Since the first patch, neither of us had a crash.

I've not had any bugged quests, though I'm sure there were some.   I've had no bad walkmeshes, though there may have been some.   I've had not any significant issues at all.   Neither has she.   I know there were PS3 problems.   I know some people had issues.    But realistically, it was a very polished game in its genre.

Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by MosesZD

YES!.   This is good news because Bethesda, unlike BioWare, understands open, dynamic worlds.   And they don't spend a lot of their production budget on cutscenes.   Something other companies also undertand:

This is from an interview with Brian Fargo who is remaking the classic Wasteland:

GZ: So in the Kickstarter, you were saying you were planning for six months of pre-development and 12 months of development, how far along would you say the game is now?

Brian Fargo: We were working on a lot of the storyline, and the character development and individual plot scenes, but to that extent, that work's been done. There's still a tremendous amount of work that still needs to get done. It's funny because when you talk about the $1 million you've got one group of people saying 'Wow, how can you do it for so cheap?' but then others saying 'I know an indie that made a game for 30 grand, why does it cost so much?' For making a full scale RPG, it really isn't that much, you have to become super proficient. One of the things that saves us money is not doing cut-scenes. Those are incredibly expensive and time consuming and frankly, the hardcore crowd doesn't care that much about them, so that saves us a tremendous amount of time.  ...

http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/exclusive-interview-brian-fargo-talks-wasteland-2

BioWare used to know that.   But they listed to the lamest of the casuals who wanted cutscenes, easy, challenge-less combat-oriented game play and lame 8th grade romances...     And the fanboys and press so-over praised them for it, they've gotten worse and worse and worse in shoving all this into their games.

Now it's to the point that ME3 has a 'no combat' option and you can just 'watch' the story with occassional input..   I'm like WHAT?   And while I don't think combat should be the focus of a CRPG as, to me, all that combat is just disguised grinding and padding to hide a short story.   But you shouldn't get rid of all combat either and dumb a game down so much that it becomes a third-rate animated film with a crappy ending.

On the othe hand, Bethesda seldom gets fanboy love.  Their fans still rip them for even the slightest flaw.  So, unlike BioWare who has fallen into the mirror of slavish fan devotion,  I don't think Bethesda is going to make the same narcissitic mistake.

The slightest flaw? How many system lock ups per game does a user endure when playing Bethesda games I wonder. I would put the avg at 5.5 myself.

They didnt earn the rep for buggy games just because. My God, I enjoyed both FO3 and Oblivion, but I also cursed numerous times with the issues. That is the type of shit we expected during the early days of gaming. Not during the present.

Gotta shake my head at your rationale....both here and other threads.

As far as an ES MMO game....I expect it will play like EQ, just like the SP version does.

You're not worth my time.

Originally posted by Morv

I experienced zero bugs in Fallout 3... I experienced 1 bug in Skyrim, 135 hours thus far... Maybe it's the console based versions that have problems? All these magazines and reviews talking about bugs in Skyrim or Bethesda games... Yet... I've hardly seen any?

Well if the designers are capable of adapting it could be ok, but I'm not going to get excited about it.

Pre Morrowind, they had a lot of bugs.   So, if you get a game and it's got a couple of bugs and it was a Bethesda game, it's FLAME ON!   BioWare, Blizzard, etc., can release equally or more buggy games and they get a pass.

It's called the 'bandwagon effect.'    Once you get a reputation, you're gonna be stuck with it, for good or ill, for a very long time. 

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

As much as I love Bethesdas games, I can't shake the feeling they're going to screw this up.

I'd much rather see them focus on adding new content and features to Skyrim or start on the next game in the single player series.

I hope they do a good job with it, but until more details are out on what kind of gameplay we can expect, i'm not going to be very hopeful.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Originally posted by Loke666

...Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind...

Phew, Daggerfall was still the masterpice, the largest RPG game ever made.

Still, good to hear even though I must say i am somewhat surprissed since Skyrims lead designer stated that they never would make a ES MMO.

Yeah, I remember that too... I wonder if they purposefully left him in the dark or if something changed?

Will be interesting to see how they handle it....alot of the systems in existing ES games won't neccesarly translate easlyl into MMO format.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

As much as I love Bethesdas games, I can't shake the feeling they're going to screw this up.

I'd much rather see them focus on adding new content and features to Skyrim or start on the next game in the single player series.

I hope they do a good job with it, but until more details are out on what kind of gameplay we can expect, i'm not going to be very hopeful.

They have several different development houses working on different things under Zenimax. They can easily work on several different projects at once without short changing any of them. Especially now after the huge profits Skyrim is generating for them.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• OnionsauceOnionsauce Member Posts: 25

Even though alot of people are going to be against this simply because they make rocking single player games and shouldn't stop, this is a great opportunity for the genre.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               .           Bethesda are simply creative masters and you know they will deliver something original, creative and of quality, some things that this genre is in desperate need these days.

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Originally posted by Loke666

...Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind...

Phew, Daggerfall was still the masterpice, the largest RPG game ever made.

Still, good to hear even though I must say i am somewhat surprissed since Skyrims lead designer stated that they never would make a ES MMO.

Yeah, I remember that too... I wonder if they purposefully left him in the dark or if something changed?

Will be interesting to see how they handle it....alot of the systems in existing ES games won't neccesarly translate easlyl into MMO format.

It may be all smoke and mirrors to keep a secret project secret. Remember Bioware stating many times there would never be a Star Wars MMO based on KOTOR while they were in the process of making a Star Wars MMO based on KOTOR? This is standard practice in the Game Industry to keep the fanbase and the competition guessing.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• FoxxenFoxxen Member Posts: 20

I've been wanting this to be announced for quite some time, I figure if anyone can do a MMO in this Fantasy based world good, it was Bethesda.  I hope they stick to their guns, put out ESOnline and keep most of what makes ES so awesome.  The problem they're going to face however is not so much bugs.  I see everyone talk about bugs on these forums, but I hate to inform you, all games are buggy at first.  Want to know why?  It's simple, if it's not on a console, it's going to be buggy because of how many different Hardware and Software related issues there are across the PC community.  There is no way for a company to put out a game without some kind of bug or issues.  It's impossible.  Because they have to deal with millions of different hardware builds, tons of driver issues that come across from poorly made drivers to just flat out they haven't tested those for themselves yet because there are so many to get to.

So bugs aside, their major issue isn't that.  Their major issue is one game, the one that has ruined the MMO world since it went soft.  We all know who I'm referring to, because all of us pretty much have played it at one time or another and I was one as well.  Played since Beta, Open Beta and then for over six  years after.  Once they started down the dark path of listening to all the wrong people?  I finally, like many, bailed.  Besthesda and any other gaming company going into the MMO market have this generation of MMO players to deal with.  They're the ones that demand that every MMO be just like the ( Un-mentioned MMO ) they were a part of.  They can't accept a NEW MMO to be it's own, to be different, to not cater to the laziness of the majority and the whiny lil brats that come with it.

That is what I fear for Besthesda, because ES has always been a challenging game ( Unless you cheat, hack, lower the playing level of the game so it's easy-mode ).  I'd hate to see them cave and crater into the whims of the new generation of MMO players that have forgotten that EQ was not easy when it first came out ( Which said Giant copied a lot from at first ) and Dark Age of Camelot, another good one that was not easy at all, you had to work hard to get your just rewards.  ES needs to be the same, it needs to hold it's own, be judged on it's own and not have all the players going to it, demanding it to be JUST LIKE said other game that I refuse to mention here.

There are other challenges they'll need to get around yes, but those at Bethesda can control those challenges and I have great faith in them to do the job right.  But can we the players, accept it to be something different than what we're used to playing in a MMO environment?  And let Bethesda call the shots, not us.  As much as some of us think we know better what should be in a game, we don't.  Because after seeing the last almost eight years of MMO gaming, I can tell you, there is a small handful of us that would accept a true Elder Scrolls MMO, none of these new players will.  They won't like not being able to point, click, target and fire an arrow at someone and it not hit them because they seen it coming and moved out of it's path. Or the spell that lit up the skey on it's way to you and you simply side stepped it.  They will have fits about things like that.

That's what I am afraid of players not accepting if they do this, sticking true to how the mechanics work in Elder Scrolls.  Right now it's all up to speculation on our part, we have no clue what they have in store for us. I for one cannot wait to see what they do. I'm putting my faith in Bethesda.  For now I'll be in SWTOR till I'm given a reason to leave which I am enjoying it.  If you players that can't stand cut scenes, and the like, how do you think you'd fair with a online ES?  They have cut scenes, they have story driven content, which is what makes ES so strong a game.  Their MMO would no doubt have it as well. SWTOR to me brought some of that back to the MMO, which has not had much RPG in them for quite some time. It's not for everyone, but I do enjoy it.  Which is why I would LOVE Elder Scrolls as an MMORPG!

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by LowFlyingHam
    They certainly have the game world for it.  Typically the stand-alone games have been 1 continent-per.  Now they have a chance to fit all the continents in one game.

I have a feeling it'll start out set in one of the less explored areas. I'd like to see High Rock and Hammerfell in epic grand massive scale MMO fashion. Or even just the Black Marsh laid out and a bit unruly.

I think the era it will be set in matters more to me personally.

How far into the future from what events will we see? The Dominion v the Empire post Septum rule has a lot of story to play out. Plus those crazy Nords and Dunmer always were looking for a chance to split.

I dunno. Even if it's only a half decent game mechanics wise, as per usual, I feel the setting and the story can carry a lot. They'd just need to off set it with a real challenge, and I know a lot of TES people who always slide the slider to the far left. So I dunno.

It'll be a balancing act.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by Foxxen

I've been wanting this to be announced for quite some time, I figure if anyone can do a MMO in this Fantasy based world good, it was Bethesda.  I hope they stick to their guns, put out ESOnline and keep most of what makes ES so awesome.  The problem they're going to face however is not so much bugs.  I see everyone talk about bugs on these forums, but I hate to inform you, all games are buggy at first.  Want to know why?  It's simple, if it's not on a console, it's going to be buggy because of how many different Hardware and Software related issues there are across the PC community.  There is no way for a company to put out a game without some kind of bug or issues.  It's impossible.  Because they have to deal with millions of different hardware builds, tons of driver issues that come across from poorly made drivers to just flat out they haven't tested those for themselves yet because there are so many to get to.

So bugs aside, their major issue isn't that.  Their major issue is one game, the one that has ruined the MMO world since it went soft.  We all know who I'm referring to, because all of us pretty much have played it at one time or another and I was one as well.  Played since Beta, Open Beta and then for over six  years after.  Once they started down the dark path of listening to all the wrong people?  I finally, like many, bailed.  Besthesda and any other gaming company going into the MMO market have this generation of MMO players to deal with.  They're the ones that demand that every MMO be just like the ( Un-mentioned MMO ) they were a part of.  They can't accept a NEW MMO to be it's own, to be different, to not cater to the laziness of the majority and the whiny lil brats that come with it.

That is what I fear for Besthesda, because ES has always been a challenging game ( Unless you cheat, hack, lower the playing level of the game so it's easy-mode ).  I'd hate to see them cave and crater into the whims of the new generation of MMO players that have forgotten that EQ was not easy when it first came out ( Which said Giant copied a lot from at first ) and Dark Age of Camelot, another good one that was not easy at all, you had to work hard to get your just rewards.  ES needs to be the same, it needs to hold it's own, be judged on it's own and not have all the players going to it, demanding it to be JUST LIKE said other game that I refuse to mention here.

There are other challenges they'll need to get around yes, but those at Bethesda can control those challenges and I have great faith in them to do the job right.  But can we the players, accept it to be something different than what we're used to playing in a MMO environment?  And let Bethesda call the shots, not us.  As much as some of us think we know better what should be in a game, we don't.  Because after seeing the last almost eight years of MMO gaming, I can tell you, there is a small handful of us that would accept a true Elder Scrolls MMO, none of these new players will.  They won't like not being able to point, click, target and fire an arrow at someone and it not hit them because they seen it coming and moved out of it's path. Or the spell that lit up the skey on it's way to you and you simply side stepped it.  They will have fits about things like that.

That's what I am afraid of players not accepting if they do this, sticking true to how the mechanics work in Elder Scrolls.  Right now it's all up to speculation on our part, we have no clue what they have in store for us. I for one cannot wait to see what they do. I'm putting my faith in Bethesda.  For now I'll be in SWTOR till I'm given a reason to leave which I am enjoying it.  If you players that can't stand cut scenes, and the like, how do you think you'd fair with a online ES?  They have cut scenes, they have story driven content, which is what makes ES so strong a game.  Their MMO would no doubt have it as well. SWTOR to me brought some of that back to the MMO, which has not had much RPG in them for quite some time. It's not for everyone, but I do enjoy it.  Which is why I would LOVE Elder Scrolls as an MMORPG!

The only thing that worries me is that they will have to rework the game mechanics so drastically to make it work as a MMO that it will lose all resemblance to what makes an ES game an ES game. This would be a travesty and would ruin the IP for a lot of people. This is what I fear the most from an ESMMO.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

to be honest with you guys this series needs to level up to mmo, single playerish like said before can offer yes nice story etc but plain boring you adventure hours there just for yourself and well pixelated enemies. i know many of people like it that way my personal opinion is its just plain boring to do these massive adventures just alone. and talking about single player games as they are in mmo forum is a bit stupid anyways, should make singleplayer.com forum and share your empty arrow in the knee stories over that direction =p

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by m0lly
    to be honest with you guys this series needs to level up to mmo, single playerish like said before can offer yes nice story etc but plain boring you adventure hours there just for yourself and well pixelated enemies. i know many of people like it that way my personal opinion is its just plain boring to do these massive adventures just alone. and talking about single player games as they are in mmo forum is a bit stupid anyways, should make singleplayer.com forum and share your empty arrow in the knee stories over that direction =p

Well considering MMOs are single player games too; you shouldn't fret.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Originally posted by m0lly

Well considering MMOs are single player games too; you shouldn't fret.

things changed during all these years and was it major noob ranger called " casual " who shot the arrow to your knee? ;pp

• DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

Just to give you guys a little bit of background info and why you should be excited about this game. First of all this game is headed by Matt Firor who is one of the founders of Mythic Entertainment(the people that made Dark age of Camelot) Now before you go all crazy about the most recent failure that is Warhammer and now Swtor. No this is not what I term the EA mythic that you all are familiar with. This was a guy that was the genious behind DaoC before it started going downhill. In fact Matt firor lost an internal power struggle with the former Mythic president Mark Jacobs when Matt insisted that the playerbase was interested in The RvR(PvP) aspects of daoc and  therefore expansion should be based on improving that area. Instead the direction they chose was very grindy PvE because the majority of Mythic employees were former everquest players and that's what interested them. So Matt Firor chose to take the payout and get out while he could when EA took over.

The announcement that this game will be 3 factions means you can expect a lot of the things that made the original DaoC so famous will make a return In Elder scrolls MMO.  So if you have played DaoC you know what kind of game it will most likely be set up to be like as far as themepark/sandbox is concerned. 

What should also get you excited is that this game has been in production for about 4 years now and they have managed to keep all info a secret as far as the game is concerned. They have already setup customer service and many other things that let a lot of people know it was nearing time for a reveal.

This game was made with Hero Engine and depending on how you look at it, that could be a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously Star Wars gave the engine a pretty bad name but the engine is far more capable than Star Wars showed.  Their budget was pretty huge as well. I think they had close to the same amount as Star Wars to use but on the company as a whole and not just for the game.

Overall you should be very excited with this news, I've been waiting for a reveal for a long time on this.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Not sure if I'm so happy about this.  They screwed up a lot since Morrowind.

I mean, all the series' games are shit, but at least Morrowind had enough mediocre design to be decent.  Oblivion was pretty much Bethesda trolling us, as players and modders.  Skyrim was an improvement but again, we have to wrestle with more problems on Beth's part before we can really get to developing quality original content.  I'm still staying away from any collaborations until I can get the game playable.

They learned a lot from Oblivion to Skyrim, though.  Hopefully this translates well into an MMO form.

If they can't get it together, though, it will most likely be a half-finished game and they will have to hire community members to finish it.

• MutamiMutami Member UncommonPosts: 20

I for one am all for this and am excited about it.  Is there a chance that they will completly lose focus of everything that makes ES good? Yep.  Will the're fail make me like ES games less? Nope.  And if they do make this game epic then imagine the impact on the community?  I am for them giving this game a go.  I am behind Bethesda 100%.  Until they  do something stupid like get rid of First Person view or something crazy like that.  But even if they do that, I'll still support Oblivion and Skyrim.  Those games are awesome no matter what they put out after.  

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Guys, you seriously didn't know this? http://www.zenimaxonline.com/ had this displayed for quiteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee a while.

Glad it's official though.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by Sora2810

Guys, you seriously didn't know this? http://www.zenimaxonline.com/ had this displayed for quiteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee a while.

http://www.zenimaxonline.com/news_ireland_facility.html

• ChronisChronis Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Sora2810

Sorta, thats all old news really, and the funny thing is that if you read the faq and about us, everyone they talk about has been FIRED for not being able to produce anything viable.  Zenimax online has already been completely revamped with new employees and staff, but that website was never updated.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

single player games get boring fast; I say go for it and release an MMO lol

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Leethe

Wow!!!! A maker of single-player games is gonna dip their feet into the MMO arena with a MASSIVE IP! This is gonna be EPIC!

I mean, how can a company with such an amazing reputation go wrong...

lol

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

finally a new mmo with more than 2 factions, took them a while to figure out 2 way pvp doesnt always (ever?) work out that good.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

So many things would have to change from Skyrim (as most recent example) to work in a MMO environment.

I'm skeptical.

If it is true, I'm very interested to see what they have in store though.

I mean, who else but Bethesda to come up with answers / solutions to the issue that you could never realistically do a MMO just like Skyrim/Oblivion.

The very principle, the underlying truth of what makes their RPG's good isn't just that it's an open RPG instead of a more linear journey, it's that it's YOUR open RPG.

As soon as it becomes multiplayer, especially massively multiplayer in a persistent world, it no longer is YOUR world and YOUR open RPG and YOUR journey.

The one thing that ruins most people's sandbox is other people stomping through it and knocking down your sand castle.

How will Bethesda answer this problem? What will their solution be?

Hopefully we'll find out in May.

This discussion has been closed.