Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else a bit shocked at the cost of this game

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I was shocked that the Collector's Ed is $150. That was until I saw the Rytlock statue. It is.. amazing.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by zimboy69

normaly you can pick up a game new day one  from a online retailer for about £30-35

it would be the same as you seeing it for  90-100 in canada

Yep for a normal edition of the game it's quite a bit imo.  Hopefully you'll be able to get a better deal elsewhere, which is what I intend to do.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

£49.99  digital edition

£64.99 digital delux edition

kinda feels like your buying a normal game with 2/3 months subs included

info from the link

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

I'm very confused... where is it that you live that ~$60.00 US for a new game is appalling?  Throw in the fact that you will not be paying monthly for an MMO and this is basically the best deal out there. 

Not sure if the OP is trolling...

• CassSmithCassSmith Member Posts: 17

Standard is fine at around $60, but the initial time I saw the collectors at $150 I was a little shocked, although looking back I shouldnt be surprised, this is a trend we've seen in other games.  What hurts is here in Australia we're paying around USD$200

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65

I can pay 60 bucks for a game not huge 10 dollars more not really a gimmick prices go up 70 or 80 and i'd be waiting. I do give it to A-net i dont see their incentives as really game breaking as many do.

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Thorbrand

I would agree with those costs if there is 1000+ hrs of gameplay but I am betting you will be repeating content well around 100 hrs. Not worth the cost.

Then NO video game is worth the cost in your opinion and you're obviously on the wrong set of forums.

Though, I hear books are pretty cheap.... might be something more up your alley.

• SeafortSeafort Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by agriffin85

£49.99  digital edition

info from the link

I'm very confused... where is it that you live that ~$60.00 US for a new game is appalling?  Throw in the fact that you will not be paying monthly for an MMO and this is basically the best deal out there. 

Not sure if the OP is trolling...

If this was equivalent to dollars it would be $80 not $60 but it's not equivalent therefore as always gamers in the EU/UK are paying over the odds while the gamers in US are paying what they always pay for a new game.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It will cost 50 euros for the normal boxed version onverhere in Holland..

Thats just as much as any single player game out there.

I am not shocked at these prices, tough i was shocked at the CE edition, but then i am not going to buy it. For a B2P game 50 euros is just a good price.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

I would agree with those costs if there is 1000+ hrs of gameplay but I am betting you will be repeating content well around 100 hrs. Not worth the cost.

You should really not be playing MMO's then. WvWvW is endless hrs of content.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It will cost 50 euros for the normal boxed version onverhere in Holland..

Thats just as much as any single player game out there.

I am not shocked at these prices, tough i was shocked at the CE edition, but then i am not going to buy it. For a B2P game 50 euros is just a good price.

you do know that 50 pouds= 60 euros, roughly.

having said that, thehut.com is doing it at 37 quid. which is around 44.5 euros. Havent checked others so far

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

What did you expect with a buy to play game?

They have to make money somehow, and if it's not throguh a sub it's through box sales and/or item malls.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by phigety

[quote][i]Originally posted by gainesvilleg[/i] [b]I think the price is fair unless the cash shop sells items that give in-game advantage.  Then it is basically the F2P with cash shop model but they are charging you $60 up front instead of free.  Time will tell on the cash shop, but it looks to be leaning towards in-game advantage items (chalice of glory, tome of influence, elite skills) as well as purely cosmetic but we shall see.  Defenders of Anet still think they would never do that... Full disclosure:  I will not be buying GW2 at launch... [/b][/quote]

A.)

I normally play F2P games or P2W games and unless your completely ignorant as to the use of the items you mentioned and the direction that Anet is going there is no way you'd think they would be pushing items in the cash shop that are going to provide a benefit versus others who wont have them.    (not a defender of Anet, just being optimistic towards their promises).

B.)

Why would anyone care if you are not purchasing the game at launch in conjunction to this thread? Unless you just want to see reactions from this statement...

Back on topic:

If the prices are so shocking then I think the North America market has been RIPPED OFF for the last few years because $59.99+ has been normal for a very long time...  Even if it was 75$ I wouldn't be shocked because of what the game is offering compared to all the other garbage on the market included Swotor, WoW, RIFT and more...  The game is heading to change the gaming industry when it comes to MMORPG's and with that being said I'd be willing to pay for the change.

As for A) I listed very specifically actualy ingame PVP advantages you can get via Influence.  And they are selling influence as part of the CE and this leans heavily towards theive view that they will do so in cash shop as well.  You can read further down the thread at my posts if you wanted further explanation.

As for B) are you serious?  First of all, I've been on/off the bandwagon several times and who knows I may jump back on if there is some more epic news regarding RvRvR.  Even if I weren't, I'm not playing any MMO right now but enjoy talking about them, especially the latest and greatest.  It is a social forum after all is it not?

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

It's not worth the cost even at 100 hours? Do you even own any video games?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by atticusbc

what'd you pay for the last shooter/rpg/rts/whatever you bought? and how much time did it provide you with?

I payed $59.99 for Skyrim. According to Steam I have 105 hours of time invested in it and got bored. I will probably some day go back and play again. I am truly happy there is no time monitor on World of Warcraft because I would feel so disgusted at the time I spent playing that. My point is is that I got way more hours out of an MMO than a regular RPG and if I were to divide the cost by the hours the mmorpg would be the way better deal. GW2 is my next grasp on escaping reality. 

ah but there is... /played I also used a mod called allplayed(I think) that totalled all your toons up. 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

£49.99  digital edition

info from the link

certainly not..there is no sub so i think the price is somewhat cheap

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

dont know were you live but in usa that an average price for almost all especial editionand 60 normal and deluxe abouth 80 like the rest of all game in the past years and not is not  really high plus just buy  the ce if you want it nobody is force to pay what they cant  just pay the less one you can pay and happy  you pay for game to play  if you wanna pay for toy and book then pay more simple as that.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I just wish they charged the amount evenly. I don't get why they are ripping off EU players. £49.99 is a rip considering its only $59.99 for US. 

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Ceridith

What did you expect with a buy to play game?

They have to make money somehow, and if it's not throguh a sub it's through box sales and/or item malls.

It may not even be "make money", it could be some time before they actually show a profit. I think NCsoft has been funding them, so they've got 5+ years of paying X number of employees, X amount of dollars. Certainly they will recover a huge amount pre-order and launch, but too assume that's all profit is folly. At some point,  they will begin actually making a profit, none of us knows where that point is. If this is the product most of us believe it is, I personally hope they are in the black from day one, and start making money hand over fist.

Unfortunately Europeans do get the shaft on the price. This isn't an isolated case though, a lot of games are like this.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Unfortunately Europeans do get the shaft on the price. This isn't an isolated case though, a lot of games are like this.

I only know a handful that do this.

Although it does seem odd on the Euro prices since Germany is GW's biggest fanbase.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

The price reflects the 20% vat.  the prive in USD or $ is before tax, and the others is after.    the VAT tax defines if the publisher sells to someone with intent to use the company has to charge the vat, but if the company sells to a distrubutor they do not.  if you guys wait till the 10th of april and the stores in your country actualy get the pre purchase information im positive that it will reflect the price you see by 20%

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

So if I provide a service or a product and charge for it I am a bad person? Moral of the story: sense of entitlement alive and well in the early 21st century.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Maybe there is a duty/tarrif/fee on imported intelectual properties? It wouldn't surprise me. I would at least look into it before blaming Anet. Actually I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of import fee.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by st4t1ck

The price reflects the 20% vat.  the prive in USD or $ is before tax, and the others is after.    the VAT tax defines if the publisher sells to someone with intent to use the company has to charge the vat, but if the company sells to a distrubutor they do not.  if you guys wait till the 10th of april and the stores in your country actualy get the pre purchase information im positive that it will reflect the price you see by 20%

Even dollar price with VAT comes of cheaper in euros than the 50£ or the 60€

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."