Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Database compromise - Darkfall Europe?

psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

1 day ago I received a strange email in my inbox...  it was a spam email with a link to a malware site, that also contained the name of my Darkfall character on the EU server.  I have not played on the EU server in years (since way before transfers) so I thought to myself "How the hell did these assholes get my email address AND also know my OLD Darkfall account name".  My current username on the US servers is different, and I never posted on the forums with my old username.

Today I get notified of test charges against my credit card, and that someone in Switzerland has actually made a physical card copy of my credit card and swiped it in a store there.

I find it highly suspicious...  and just a warning to DF customers.  I'm not certain this was the source of the fraud, but DF did have the compromised account on file.  If their DB was compromised, the fraud email and fraudulent credit activity would make sense.

Keep an eye out.

Comments

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

Probably one of the devs, game tanked, now theyre lookin for alternative sources of income. On a more serious note, that sucks, glad it didnt turn out worse.

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375

u should contact your credit card company and df customer support if your credit card was used ..

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by Filterheadz

u should contact your credit card company and df customer support if your credit card was used ..

Might be good to let Aventurine know too.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by Filterheadz

The card is already shut down and a new one is arriving tomorrow.  Needless to say I won't be giving the new card number to anyone at Darkfall.

Go ahead and contact Darkfall if you want... the problem is solved from my end.  I just wanted to give a warning to the community.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

there was a large influx of acconut hacking that was posted on here a while back with oyutube vids etc. Maybe your acconut details were obtained from the account hacks? prehaps thier database was compromised which is how they obtained so many df account details?

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.