Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CO vs DCUO

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

So every now and then i get bit by a radioactive bug that makes me want to don tights and go out and fight crime online. This is one of those times. I have played Champions a bit on and off (however I dont have it installed on my new laptop) Anyway I was debating installing it again or trying out DCUO... since i have SOE all access account anyway. IP wise I have always been a DC fan even more so than Marvel.

Anyway I downloaded DC and logged in and couldnt believe how limited the character creation  was in comparison. The intro was fun but really no better than what CO had when i first started it. IT was neat to battle side by side with Superman as well. However I couldnt help to feel kinda let down by the lack of options..Also wanting to make a superslugger I thought it was dumb how I had to take ice/storm or energy type powers I didnt want.

ANyway this is to people who have played both.

Why play DC or CO over the other? Playstyle which was is more fun? DC looks to have alot of people at least in the starting area. and PVP is definately going strong I got ganked about 10 minutes after walking out of the safe area.

Which of these 2 games is actually better. Ohh and not interested in CoHV.. I have played that one so much in the past not interested in it anymore.

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I prefer DCUO because the controls are more fluid.  Flight and travel powers feel more second nature, and so do attacks.  The combo system fits so much better for the superhero than the old MMO toolbar system, IMO.  It makes all the difference in the world to me, that in DCUO I could kick one guy and knock them down, jump back, blast another guy with a mezz, pull the first guy in with a grappling hook and deliver the killing blow, then lunge onto the next guy and knock them down, and have the controls pretty much work intuitively to pull it off.  Meanwhile, in CO, I'm selecting one mob, mashing button 1, tab target 2, press 5, wait for induction, tab back over to the 1st mob, press 3, etc.

The mission stories are also much more cohesive.  In CO, many of the missions don't make sense at all, particularly in context with each other.  One example... there's a jailbreak, and you put the villains down and back behind bars, and yet there they are, free as could be in your next mission.

Also, while costume options aren't as diverse as in CO, their costume collection system makes it one of the best wardrobe systems out there.  Every costume piece you pick up and bind yourself to, you'll have cosmetic access to, forever.  Have a level 10 helmet you love the look of but need to replace it?  You can without losing the look of either piece.  You'll have access forever to the cosmetic of any item you've ever worn, and can change them out at any time.

Downside to DCUO, it it's shorter in levelling content than most SPG's.  And the missions between the factions are mostly mirrored.

• SpytedSpyted Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by Robsolf

I prefer DCUO because the controls are more fluid.  Flight and travel powers feel more second nature, and so do attacks.  The combo system fits so much better for the superhero than the old MMO toolbar system, IMO.  It makes all the difference in the world to me, that in DCUO I could kick one guy and knock them down, jump back, blast another guy with a mezz, pull the first guy in with a grappling hook and deliver the killing blow, then lunge onto the next guy and knock them down, and have the controls pretty much work intuitively to pull it off.  Meanwhile, in CO, I'm selecting one mob, mashing button 1, tab target 2, press 5, wait for induction, tab back over to the 1st mob, press 3, etc.

The mission stories are also much more cohesive.  In CO, many of the missions don't make sense at all, particularly in context with each other.  One example... there's a jailbreak, and you put the villains down and back behind bars, and yet there they are, free as could be in your next mission.

Also, while costume options aren't as diverse as in CO, their costume collection system makes it one of the best wardrobe systems out there.  Every costume piece you pick up and bind yourself to, you'll have cosmetic access to, forever.  Have a level 10 helmet you love the look of but need to replace it?  You can without losing the look of either piece.  You'll have access forever to the cosmetic of any item you've ever worn, and can change them out at any time.

Downside to DCUO, it it's shorter in levelling content than most SPG's.  And the missions between the factions are mostly mirrored.

Excellent summary.