Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stipulation on guaranteed access of beta. Must pre-purchase. Not pre-order

1235»

Comments

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Falcomith

It seems if you want guaranteed access to weekend betas, you must pre-purchase (pay in full). 

Pre-orders (deposit only) dont get guaranteed beta access and only get one day head start. See link.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/pre-purchase-guild-wars-2-t31280.html?p=1212248#post1212248

Customer: Hey I don't think it's fair for you to allow me the privelage of paying for my game earlier than everyone else.

If-I-Were-AnetGuy: Well sir I'm sorry you feel that way, however, there is nothing I can do to change that now seeing as though it's impossible to please everyone.

Customer: Well you can make me happy by gauranteeing me entrance into your beta with a deposit only.

If-I-Were-AnetGuy: So you want a commitment of service from us without a commitment of profit in return?

Customer: I am going to purchase the game eventually, just not yet. I want to try the beta first...

If-I-were-AnetGuy: Well, sire I think we are actually in agreeing to some extent... You see, what we are saying is that we'l give you guaranteed access to our services if you can give us gauranteed payment in return.

If-I-were-AnetGuy: However, a deposit on your end would not qualify as gauranteed payment because you could always change your mind, or retract your portional payment. In contrast, your full payment is a louder statement of gauranteed profit for services rendered, hence, a gaurantee in exchange for a gaurantee. A deposit simply says "I'm thinking about it", which makes you second priority to the customers who have paid full purchase price. Therefore, once we cater to our full-price customers we filter through those who gave us deposits, and almost like a lotery we "think about" letting you in.... Oh but for only one day earlier, still as a thank you for thinking about and trying our new game.

Customer: Hmm.... So you want me to pay for beta? thats unheard of, its an outrage, beta's are to be free always! This goes completely against my standards of being a gamer.

If-I-Were-AnetGuy: Sir please don't be flustered, we also have a third option for customers with your view-point; that is you waiting until the game release, paying full price at that time and if you still don't like the game simply cancel subscription, this way you are getting exactly what you pay for, nothing more nothing less. So you want to try it out? then try it for 30 days "Risk Free" . Sire I have another customer who is ready to pre-purchase waiting on the other line, good luck!

Customer: No wai.... Hello?..Hello? Bastard hung up on me!

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

If you were good at GuildWars you would have already been a core-tester and not had to worry about "getting into beta".

Basically suck less, get rewarded. What a grand concept don't your agree?

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by moosecatlol

If you were good at GuildWars you would have already been a core-tester and not had to worry about "getting into beta".

Basically suck less, get rewarded. What a grand concept don't your agree?

Ouch... dem be fight'n words!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kaocan

This is as it should be, and should have been all along for every game in the past. Puts a 100% stop to those that want to play for free to try it before they comit ANY of thier money to it. This wouldn't be a problem if that didnt also include the crowd that never expect to give any moeny at all, the ones that plan all along to get the free ride and the pre-order cancel. Doing this, stops them dead in thier tracks, and thats for the good. 

I still think the price on the download is a bit steep, especially if they follow the same trend they did in GW1. 4 boxes in just over 2 years. If we have the same $60 for the low end on each, thats a nice $240 total price tag at the end, might as well just call it a P2P with a $10 a month sub fee - it comes out the same in the end. 

i think most MMO players actually should have the option to check out a game before buying it. but since there will be a free weekend and i am sure they will add a free trial a while after launch like gw have that really is´'t a problem.

I do however see another problem: that most of the beta testers wont be dedicated people who want the game as good as possible at launch but instead will be mostly people who want to be good at the game on the first day so they can dominate PvP or level up really fast.

But my issue there is not really that pre-purchase is worse than pre-order, it is that I feel it is bad for games who let anyone who order the game into the beta instead of making it for people who really are dedicated beta testers. And frankly is more or less all companies doing that misstake.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

The video game industry is the only industry that I'm aware of where you cannot return the product after opening it for a full refund.  Any other product I have ever purchased I have been able to return it for a full refund, or at worst if i was missing some of the packaging material I had to forfeit 25% of the cost.  Even cars you get to test-drive before you purchase it, and most states have between 3-7 days to return a car.  Video games?  Open the box you are screwed.  Don't like the game after you purchased it?  Too bad.  Don't like the tv you bought?  Return it for a full refund.  Don't like video card you bought?  Return it for full refund.  

Edit:  I should mention that I'm pretty sure you can't return food once opened either, but as video games aren't perishable I don't see why they would have a similar return policy.   Also, as I've never just went out and bought a movie that I hadn't seen before I should ask are blue-ray, dvd's, cd's ect returnable?  Is there something about the entertainment industry that enables them to have these types of policies?

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Pretty lame, but the spin doctors are already at work, pre-order for Tera gets you in all the CBTs, OBT and pre release with a name reservation all for $5, plus it does not have instanced carebear PvP.

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by zero462usa

You noobs are always complaining about nothing. They are doing what almost every other ocmpany has done, they're just smarter. Instead of letting you silly children pre-order from Gamestop and then cancel they're making you pre-purchase from them. 

y u mad?

Look, they've committed their time and effort for the past 5 yrs creating this game and they're asking you to commit to them by buying the game, in exchange they're gonna guarantee access to ALL BETA's plus give some ingame goodies (doesn't matter if good or not) plus give you headstart. They're not required to give you shiiiiiiiit!

Complain complain complain. If they didn't give you anything in game you'd be complaining because you're not getting extra's. Now you're getting extra's and you're complaining about what it is.  No one is forcing you to even get the game much less get the CE/DDE.

STFU pls or get an argument with some merit.

I agree this if you can keep your toon after the beta :)

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Pretty lame, but the spin doctors are already at work, pre-order for Tera gets you in all the CBTs, OBT and pre release with a name reservation all for $5, plus it does not have instanced carebear PvP.

Every game I've ever seen that offered beta access for pre-ordering has been the way Tera is doing it.  GW is the first time that I've seen a game require full purchase for beta.  Actually, I take that back, I am pretty sure Mortal Online did this as well, but I can't think of any others.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You obviously have not played GW PvP - carebears not allowed.

Instanced means you have to play as a team or lose. If that is care bear fine - but I suppose you are a lowbie ganker.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by botrytis

You obviously have not played GW PvP - carebears not allowed.

Instanced means you have to play as a team or lose. If that is care bear fine - but I suppose you are a lowbie ganker.

No open world PvP, = E sport or instanced PvP both are carebear, as you obviously have never played EvE lol. Even WoW has OW PVP servers, you would think this would too.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by niceguy3978

The video game industry is the only industry that I'm aware of where you cannot return the product after opening it for a full refund.  Any other product I have ever purchased I have been able to return it for a full refund, or at worst if i was missing some of the packaging material I had to forfeit 25% of the cost.  Even cars you get to test-drive before you purchase it, and most states have between 3-7 days to return a car.  Video games?  Open the box you are screwed.  Don't like the game after you purchased it?  Too bad.  Don't like the tv you bought?  Return it for a full refund.  Don't like video card you bought?  Return it for full refund.  

Edit:  I should mention that I'm pretty sure you can't return food once opened either, but as video games aren't perishable I don't see why they would have a similar return policy.   Also, as I've never just went out and bought a movie that I hadn't seen before I should ask are blue-ray, dvd's, cd's ect returnable?  Is there something about the entertainment industry that enables them to have these types of policies?

they kind of are perishable with the way cd-key's work, once i buy it and put the cd key in you cant then buy it from me and use the same cd key