Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: GDC 2012 Preview

Comments

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by elocke

This summer is going to be awesome.  I may age 10 years due to lack of sleep however.

The game lineup from May through June is going to be legendary. Its arguably bigger than some October-December timeframes (this year for sure) when most big games come.

May- Diablo 3, TERA, Dragon's Dogma

June- GW2, The Secret World, Darksiders 2

June is so much win. How will I find time to play all 3 of those? argh!! First world problems!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by reignjuste

Pay to paly?No thanks

So...you won't pay for a game if it's good. It should be free? Interesting.

He's probably paid for too many that weren't good.......

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

TSW crafting info, uhu!!

"Funcom uses the word "transcribing" to describe its tradeskilling approach, and it basically entails breaking down existing items and learning the appropriate shapes (and how certain items are constructed). Once you've done that, you can change the items and reconstruct them to feature the kind of stats you'd like to complement a particular skill build.

Bruusgaard chose a looted hammer for his first example, but it didn't have any stats that meshed with his current skill build (which focused on critical and penetrating strikes). He disassembled the hammer with a button press, which resulted in component items laid out in the shape of a hammer in his crafting window. This shape defines the item type, he explained, while the materials determine what sort of stats go on the item.

He then took the metal gained from disassembling the hammer and refined it (another button press), which resulted in a stack of pure metal. He combined these with pre-existing pure metal items in his inventory and laid them all out in the shape of the hammer. Bruusgaard added a weapon assembly kit to raise the quality level, and after another button press, he found himself in possession of a rare hammer with increased weapon power. He was still missing the critical and penetrating strike stats, though, and achieving them required a bit more explanation.

All items in The Secret World have a prefix, a core, and a suffix, and players may create any or all of these items and combine them however they wish. Bruusgaard created a prefix item with the necessary critical stats and then combined it with a prefix assembly kit. This resulted in a glyph of ferocity, and combining it with the rare hammer led to a fierce hammer with the desired stats.

Funcom's aim here is to make a crafting system that is both accessible and integral to the game, particularly when it comes to players' being able to make gear that matches their preferred skill decks and playstyle. Crucially, Bruusgaard also mentioned that players are free to trade these prefix, core, and suffix items as they see fit, which should lead to both unique weapons and an actual in-game economy that doesn't gloss over crafters in favor of loot drops."

Looks good, but I need to test it first to be sure... 

you can see a video showing the crafting (and the whole presentation) here, starts at 25m 

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

It looks sooooo nice but:

1. FUNCOM!!!!!: do you even have a glympse on how much they have screwed and are going on screwing AoC, which is a fantastic fantasy MMO, to the point where thousand of players get sick when they just hear this company name? Do you have any experience of their idea of "micro transactions" in their cash shop? like a bag for 25-30€ for EACH character?

2. combat is interesting because of the limited number of abilities you can put in your bar, seems very similar to GW, but seriously lacks of action. This can be bearable in a fantasy game, but with this realistic and modern ambientation it makes a werewolf claw in your face appear like a tender caresse instead with the health bar going down so slowly... wish the criticals were more realistically oriented, and then  the movement so slow, no action dodge or parry... oh maybe i'm playing too much DCUO ok :)
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm looking forward to hearing more.  What I was looking for here was a more complete glimpse of the game as a whole experience.  It seems the preview was very, very guided and narrow in scope.  This makes me wonder how far along the game really is.  I'm one of those people who pays attention what is NOT said in these previews.  I want to hear more about how it feels to "live" in the game over a longer period of time.  What are the social features like?

I'm getting to the point where if your MMO game isn't social, I simply won't play it.  SWTOR was antisocial, as was Rift.  LOTRO was more social than most MMOs, but still lacked something.  To be honest, I find FPS games to be more social and interactive than some of these modern MMO.  I hope that isn't the case with TSW.  Looking forward to more hands-on info.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by chaod1984

First and foremost, this game looks amazing...Im sure, as in all other Funcom MMO's, they will also introduce something that hasn't been seen in the MMO world.  (Anarchy Online - Instanced Dungeons and AoC - Combat Finishers).  Funcom, as we all know, are known for putting out buggy, unfinished games, but IMHO, they are also known for putting out the most ground-breaking and fun games as well.  I like dark settings too, so all Funcom's MMO atmosphere's really play to my likings. 

As for GW2, I think it will flop.  I don't see why everyone though the first one was so great....itemization was bad, the quests were typical and the world seemed sort of grindy to me.  the best part was no monthly fee.  So how did ArenaNet all of a sudden become MMO gods?  I have no clue.

Because this one isn't like GW1 gameplay at all.  It's actually built to be an MMORPG not a CO-OP RPG.  It's also getting away from the BS raid or die mentality that permeates and ruins current MMORPGs.  PLUS, it's making PVP in an MMORPG worthwhile and FUN again.

this

sadly TSW has started adding the yellow and removed just about all of the green, i smell falling into the "lets grab wow people" trap

the skill system and crafting look great.

such a shame to switch mode on the game and make it your typical 90% pve game when they have this skill system, crafting and 3 factions which would be ideal for pvp

TSW needs that original agartha thing back in, something like GW2 WvW but with 3 sides instead of 3 servers

(no - one solitary endgame warzone that only lets 150 people in doesnt count)

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

As a casual player I am a bit worried that I might lose track of the puzzles and riddles between gaming sessions, but I am really looking forward to this game. Hope it delivers.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by cippalippa

1. ...... Do you have any experience of their idea of "micro transactions" in their cash shop? like a bag for 25-30€ for EACH character?

Would you be able to elaborate? What is available in the shop? Furthermore, What can you do with items you purchase from the shop? Are valuable items that you can buy with real money tradeable in game?

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

1. ...... Do you have any experience of their idea of "micro transactions" in their cash shop? like a bag for 25-30€ for EACH character?

Would you be able to elaborate? What is available in the shop? Furthermore, What can you do with items you purchase from the shop? Are valuable items that you can buy with real money tradeable in game?

Ok.

What i brought to as example is how Funcom answered to the demand of playerbase to expand the invenctory which was found too limited ( from a wide audience survey thei issued in summer), even for premium (monthly subscribers) players who have a larger invenctory (as it was before the game went f2p).

Did they simply gave already paying customers a space increase? No.

They added a bag you can buy from their shop for 25-30€, and also some smaller slot increase for i don't know how much because i left before even if i'm subbed til Dec 2012.

Is this space increase free for premium since it is only a quality of life improvement much NEEDED and as paying customer i expect to get a COMPLETE game already standing aside their policy for f2p players? No, The subscribers were treated exactly as the free players, cash cows!

Also this bags/space slot increase, as nearly anything you can buy on their shop, is CHARACTER BOUND, means you have to buy a copy of that item for each char you have. I have 10 toons, if i wanted to buy that bag for each one i had to pay like 250-300€ which is roughly what a lifetime subscription averagely cost for MMOs.

So what is the point? They went f2p and added the cash shop because they were in bad finacial conditions, but with that price policy i don't know how much succesfull was in the end their implementation of a cash shop.

Add on top that if they ever made any money it didn't go into AoC (maybe into TSW) because the game is buggy and buggier since the patch they applied at the beginning of december 2011, which introduced bugs still unsolved.  And the game was buggy even before, with most of the bugs stil unresolved since launch in 2008 (stamina regen any?).

TSW can be really good, but until they don't get how to make money without being greedy as hell, and  at the same time treating their customers as stupid cash cows, i hardly will give them a single cent more.

Ok.

What i brought to as example is how Funcom answered to the demand of playerbase to expand the invenctory which was found too limited ( from a wide audience survey thei issued in summer), even for premium (monthly subscribers) players who have a larger invenctory (as it was before the game went f2p).

Did they simply gave already paying customers a space increase? No.

They added a bag you can buy from their shop for 25-30€, and also some smaller slot increase for i don't know how much because i left before even if i'm subbed til Dec 2012.

Is this space increase free for premium since it is only a quality of life improvement much NEEDED and as paying customer i expect to get a COMPLETE game already standing aside their policy for f2p players? No, The subscribers were treated exactly as the free players, cash cows!

Also this bags/space slot increase, as nearly anything you can buy on their shop, is CHARACTER BOUND, means you have to buy a copy of that item for each char you have. I have 10 toons, if i wanted to buy that bag for each one i had to pay like 250-300€ which is roughly what a lifetime subscription averagely cost for MMOs.

So what is the point? They went f2p and added the cash shop because they were in bad finacial conditions, but with that price policy i don't know how much succesfull was in the end their implementation of a cash shop.

Add on top that if they ever made any money it didn't go into AoC (maybe into TSW) because the game is buggy and buggier since the patch they applied at the beginning of december 2011, which introduced bugs still unsolved.  And the game was buggy even before, with most of the bugs stil unresolved since launch in 2008 (stamina regen any?).

TSW can be really good, but until they don't get how to make money without being greedy as hell, and  at the same time treating their customers as stupid cash cows, i hardly will give them a single cent more.

The reason I asked was that I have very similar complaints about how they run the cash shop in Anarchy Online. It seems some things are different,  Like the fact that AO's items are tradeable and thus makes AO a blantant P2W game now.

One thing rings a bell clear as day in what you described. In Anarchy Online (And I have posted this before), If there is something lacking in the game/content/code/mechanics whatever it is. Rather than correct the problems in the game and make the game better, they just implement some cheap workaround and stick it in the Cash Shop so the players can pay more. This is already on top of a 15/mo sub.

Dam....For everything I see in TSW that makes me want to play it, It always comes back to not trusting FunCom. Very disappointing. Because I really do want to play this game, but not if FC is going to funnel people into their CS....And they will too.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Ya I dont trust funcom so I wont play, ohhh wait, cant trust SOE either, no blizzard lately, nor Anet, nor nor nor , fudge I cant play any game cause at one time or another all companies messed up, damn it  might as well quit , throwing my computer in the trash since I hace no use for it.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by Entropy14

Ya I dont trust funcom so I wont play, ohhh wait, cant trust SOE either, no blizzard lately, nor Anet, nor nor nor , fudge I cant play any game cause at one time or another all companies messed up, damn it  might as well quit , throwing my computer in the trash since I hace no use for it.

LMAO, well spoken. ;)

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by chaod1984

First and foremost, this game looks amazing...Im sure, as in all other Funcom MMO's, they will also introduce something that hasn't been seen in the MMO world.  (Anarchy Online - Instanced Dungeons and AoC - Combat Finishers).  Funcom, as we all know, are known for putting out buggy, unfinished games, but IMHO, they are also known for putting out the most ground-breaking and fun games as well.  I like dark settings too, so all Funcom's MMO atmosphere's really play to my likings. 

As for GW2, I think it will flop.  I don't see why everyone though the first one was so great....itemization was bad, the quests were typical and the world seemed sort of grindy to me.  the best part was no monthly fee.  So how did ArenaNet all of a sudden become MMO gods?  I have no clue.

I agree with you.. GW was simply not an MMO but a game more instanced than AOCx3... I have no idea why so many gamers are thinking arenanet's GW2 will be groundbreaking.. its not. its the same shit, same smell, same color, just a more recent BM. Agreed that funcom has released some bugged MMO's but bugs can be fixed over time... crappy, rehashed concepts cannot.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Maybe researching the Product not the Company might help in the future?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I was being sarcastic since so many people come on here and boycott games due to a bad experience in the past.

I base each game on their own merit, and if its not for me then I doint buy it, and if it seems like it is something I would enjoy then I do.

I dont think funcom purposly set out to have such a bad launch, they did smarten up, yes it took them some time, this game probably wont be perfect at the start, but at least its a step in the right direction with some new elements , not a fantasy ect,,, so chances are I will buy this game regardless of my bad experience wih AoC

I was being sarcastic since so many people come on here and boycott games due to a bad experience in the past.

I base each game on their own merit, and if its not for me then I doint buy it, and if it seems like it is something I would enjoy then I do.

I dont think funcom purposly set out to have such a bad launch, they did smarten up, yes it took them some time, this game probably wont be perfect at the start, but at least its a step in the right direction with some new elements , not a fantasy ect,,, so chances are I will buy this game regardless of my bad experience wih AoC

It isn't about bad experiences in the past. It's not about past anything. I could care less about AO's Launch now. I enjoyed that game for years in spite of that. I am talking about current business practices and revenue models they are using PRESENTLY (AS WE SPEAK) in BOTH their current titles and have announced a similar revenue model for TSW. 

Based on the what I have seen in Anarchy Online (In 2012 NOT 2001) And what was just dsescribed as what is going on in AoC (In 2012 NOT 2008) Why would you think we are foolish to express even the slightest concen over this. This is a pattern of behavior that shows who FunCom is.

Don't you think it odd that these 2 games came out with these shops only a little over a year ago? Doesn't anyone else see them as the "Beta Test" for TSW's Cash Shop?

The company has 2 subscription titles out both with cash shops that in both cases have really hurt both games overall. And that they have shown a history of misusing those shops in both games. They said they would be responsible with those shops and turned around and completely ignored their own statements and did what they said they wouldn't. You are telling me to ignore that and just judge TSW on it's own merits without cosidering the merits of the company.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

It isn't about bad experiences in the past. It's not about past anything. I could care less about AO's Launch now. I enjoyed that game for years in spite of that. I am talking about current business practices and revenue models they are using PRESENTLY (AS WE SPEAK) in BOTH their current titles and have announced a similar revenue model for TSW. 
    Based on the what I have seen in Anarchy Online (In 2012 NOT 2001) And what was just dsescribed as what is going on in AoC (In 2012 NOT 2008) Why would you think we are foolish to express even the slightest concen over this. This is a pattern of behavior that shows who FunCom is.
    Don't you think it odd that these 2 games came out with these shops only a little over a year ago? Doesn't anyone else see them as the "Beta Test" for TSW's Cash Shop?
    The company has 2 subscription titles out both with cash shops that in both cases have really hurt both games overall. And that they have shown a history of misusing those shops in both games. They said they would be responsible with those shops and turned around and completely ignored their own statements and did what they said they wouldn't. You are telling me to ignore that and just judge TSW on it's own merits without cosidering the merits of the company.

Would it not be responsible to test these shops on pre existing "old" games? rather than launch with it untested and fail?

The cash shops themselves are a tricky thing. hey if you want a new hat for cash, why not? the options there. If they start offering advantages for cash that's when the trouble starts, but like I said how can they achieve a balance users can live with if the have no data to test with?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Mellkor

Would it not be responsible to test these shops on pre existing "old" games? rather than launch with it untested and fail?

The cash shops themselves are a tricky thing. hey if you want a new hat for cash, why not? the options there. If they start offering advantages for cash that's when the trouble starts, but like I said how can they achieve a balance users can live with if the have no data to test with?

Yes, I agree, that's my point. I don't have a problem with FunCom beta testing the cash shops. But what I am trying to point out is what are they doing with these shops that they are beta testing? They are testing the waters to see how far they can push it and what people will pay for and how much.

Both current games are sticking solutions to in game isses into cash shop available items instead if correcting the game.

Anyway, I need to stop on this issue. It's pointless. We can agree to disagree I guess, 

I don't trust FC's intentions with their CS and other people don't have such an issue.....OK, that's fine.

I'll just let you guys test the water 1st before I ever jump into FC's pool again. (I know what they did in it)

• IshoaIshoa Member Posts: 18

First off I love the concept and visual design of this game, but even with that I'm worried for the success of this game. Second people who are saying monthly subs are the only way for MMOs to be successful should do some research. I've paid for my share of MMO subscriptions and most didnt deserve it unfortunately. People are getting more and more leary of MMOs who follow the 'wow model' as people like to call it because many are tired of getting burned. Then when the game inevitably goes free to play the company end up making more money using cash shops. Why? Because it works. LoL is hugely popular and makes a killing on all the extras. In the case of GW2 being buy to play with a cash shop, not only does this appeal to the people who refuse to pay a monthly subscription, it also plays off the design LoL and Zynga games and iOS games who make some good revenue. People love asthetic customization, and if the game is good enough and it has no monthly subscription, people are willing to pay 5 dollars here 5 dollars there to support this company who supplied such an awesome product. Oh and third for people who say GW2 is the same ol same ol, go do some research then come back :P

Anyways love the concept of this game, and the world they are trying to design. This alone might sway me into trying it.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Som Pourfarzaneh

I've made it no secret that Funcom's upcoming MMORPG is my GDC game of the show.  Garrett, Mike and I each had it on our GDC Top 3 and chatted up a storm about it on this week's Game On.

In other words, a preview from a fanboy.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Nothing is true, everything is permitted

oh wait thats Assassin's Creed :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Hopefully my new home for the coming second half of 2012. Beyond that, we'll see.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I like what I am seeing so far with some notable exceptions.

1) The combat animations are a really boring to me. 

2) No Yalmaha... My personal outlook is that that thing should be like Cid from the FF series; You have to have him in there somewhere.

None of the other games i've played from the companies you mentioned had such brutal feedback in trust as Funcom did, if i quit is simply because i stopped enjoing their games, which is natural.

Did you ever was a long term Funcom customer? Do you know what you are talking about at least?

I agree TSW looks really good, the settings are fasinating at worst, interface is really lovely, and dreamworld shines at its best for quality and adding immersive feeling (as it does in AoC, but with eonic loading times and frame stuttering in the most complex playfields if you don't have the game on a SSD) and i'm sure music is top notch like in AoC.

But Funcom let a game to rot, meanwhile asking even more money frome their customers. Can you tell me what insurance i have they will not do it again? And it's not AoC, it is also AO...it's like an habit not a single exception. Get it now?

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

They nearly lost me when i saw there doing little new with combat in MMO rpg's but the got me back with verification of the completely different quest based system.