Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

WOOOO!!!!!!! I KNEW it image

Bethesda and ZeniMax are hard at work on a new MMO, and it's taking you back to the world of Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind.

While details are still few and far between, Tom’s has learned that ZeniMax Online Studios and Bethesda will officially announce Elder Scrolls Online in May 2012.

An industry source that wishes to remain anonymous revealed the name of the new MMO to us, and confirmed that the game would take place a full millennium before The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Using the Elder Scrolls Wiki timeline as a guide, Elder Scrolls Online will likely take place during the “Second Era,” or several hundred years before any of the other Elder Scrolls games. This information was corroborated by two additional sources before publication.

Elder Scrolls Online will have three playable factions, according to the tipster. Not much is known about the factions, except each is represented by one of three animals: A lion, a dragon, and a bird of prey (either a phoenix or an eagle, we aren’t sure).

[...]

I think it's technically still a "rumor", but looks like a pretty solid one, 3 sources and all. I don't know whether to sit or stand!

Edits: added some details, poll

Comments

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

NO FUCKIN WAY!

• ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

Another good company going down. 

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

MMORPG fans are clear definitions of lemmings...

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Wow!!!! A maker of single-player games is gonna dip their feet into the MMO arena with a MASSIVE IP! This is gonna be EPIC!

I mean, how can a company with such an amazing reputation go wrong...

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

...Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind...

Phew, Daggerfall was still the masterpice, the largest RPG game ever made.

Still, good to hear even though I must say i am somewhat surprissed since Skyrims lead designer stated that they never would make a ES MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Leethe

Wow!!!! A maker of single-player games is gonna dip their feet into the MMO arena with a MASSIVE IP! This is gonna be EPIC!

Is that sarcasm? 

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by Loke666

Is that sarcasm? 

I never claimed to be a master of it , but yes. Thickly laddled on and swimming with meaty chunks. 

Consider how fresh and epic Skyrim is in players minds. Think of all those arrows to knees. Can you imagine the crushing impact that will be felt falling from those heights? If they don't manage expectations now I can't see it ending well.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

1 full Millinium back would put us at the "first" battle with Alduin, where he is sent forward in time?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Waiting with my thoughts about this until there is much much more info avabile.

Important things like:

- sandbox or not

- P2P or F2P / freemium

- some core gameplay concepts

Bad answer on any of above can be deal-breaker.

So not getting hyped ,too much hype going on lately.

If detailed infos / early footage will be good followed by good business model then yeah it might be nice.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Well if it goes the way of the previous Elder Scrolls games it will be buggy as crap when it is released, which is not good at all for an MMO release. Hopefully they are not going to use the Gamebryo engine, because...ick.

I dunno, unless the MMO is a lot like say, Skyrim and the other Elder Scrolls games in that it is a big sandbox world with a definded storyline to follow as well and classeless/skill based character development system it feels like it would come off as yet another somewhat generic fantasy MMOPRG's.

As soon as I hear that it has classes, I am done with it.

Also has to have the great 1st person rendering view, really immerses me in the gameworld.

I don't see it happening like that, would be too good to be true. I have a horrible suspicion that the MMO version will lack the things that make the Elder Scrolls fun and immersive for me.

I hesitate to get my hopes up...

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I just had to laugh

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Please let it be a sandbox mmo. Tired of all the theme parks!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Damn you, you posted this like 2 minutes before I did :-p damn me for typing so slow.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Two minds about this gang and I won't lie about it. My geek side is jumping up and down and sharpening my axe and my jaded mmo cynic side is hiding under my bed and stocking up on canned goods and bottled water. Let's see what happens.

• moonstrik3rmoonstrik3r Member Posts: 3

Holy cow! That would be awesome! :D I think I'd need to upgrade my machine to run it though... :P

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Mythic...they could not screw up Warhammer...it will be epic....image...

I want more info before I jizz my pants.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

WTF diablo III release date,baldur's gate enhanced editions and now ES Online anouncement.

Seriously WTF is going on here?

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by spookydom

Two minds about this gang and I won't lie about it. My geek side is jumping up and down and sharpening my axe and my jaded mmo cynic side is hiding under my bed and stocking up on canned goods and bottled water. Let's see what happens.

Yes same here.  I am happy, because I would like to play an Elder Scrolls MMO.  BUT at the same time I am just a little shocked and disappointed.  I wonder if this means there will be no more single player ES games?  That's would be a shame.  They have always been standby for great single player RPGS.  I like that they are single players, I don't want xXleGolAsXx ruining my little Elder Scrolls world :(

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Let's just hope they learned from...........

Wait! Why am I even bothering to repeat that statement?

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Mmmm part of the charm is being able to freely murder innocent people on the street. In MMO world that's griefing. In Skyrim it's called being a badass dragonborne.

I would love ES mmo if they can figure out the rules between players.

Shopping in Riften then all of a sudden an arrow appears in your skull and half your health is gone and the sniper is invisible.

Sneaking doesn't work so well vs real players XD

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

WIOOOHOO another game to get all hyped up by everyone.. then laugh 2 weeks after release to have everyone flaming and saying what a let down it was!

Players expect single player games to only last so long.. MMOs they expect to be able to log on nonstop and get loads and loads of content... well usually that takes time and with todays playerbase.. time is something usually that is not given.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Magnetia

Mmmm part of the charm is being able to freely murder innocent people on the street. In MMO world that's griefing. In Skyrim it's called being a badass dragonborne.

I would love ES mmo if they can figure out the rules between players.

Shopping in Riften then all of a sudden an arrow appears in your skull and half your health is gone and the sniper is invisible.

Sneaking doesn't work so well vs real players XD

You do, of course, mean knee, right?

Couldn't help myself there.  Very sorry.

Really though, I'd be up for an ES MMO.  No harm in giving it a shot.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

[Mod Edit - too graphic]

I,..

Well I got a PS Vita today. Think I'll take it back and buy up some canned goods.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by fenistil

Waiting with my thoughts about this until there is much much more info avabile.

Important things like:

- sandbox or not

- P2P or F2P / freemium

- some core gameplay concepts

Bad answer on any of above can be deal-breaker.

So not getting hyped ,too much hype going on lately.

If detailed infos / early footage will be good followed by good business model then yeah it might be nice.

As excited as I am about this idea, I agree with you, would rather not take an arrow to the knee on this one.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Let me guess before they even announce anything, our inspiration for Elder Scrolls Online comes from World Of Warcraft and how we will water down, dumb down to the lowest common denominator to garner mass appeal? Am I predicting this ? Yes .... cause we should expect nothing different if it is a hybrid MMO where themepark and sandbox both come into play then I would be more excited maybe even happy. But we all know thats not going to be the case...

This discussion has been closed.