Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite skill as collector and deluxe edition bonus

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

It better be crap. It's the summon mistfire wolf skill listed on the pre-purchase page. I remember back in the day, getting pissed when collectors editions started having the audacity to give actual in game bonuses. Feels kind of like a slap in the face, as someone who bought all the original guild wars. They didn't pull this kind of stuff back then, it was just some lame looking fire around your hands as a bonus for buying the CE.

Comments

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    And fire imp that made leveling much easier... (gw1)
  • ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

Originally posted by Betakodo

It better be crap. It's the summon mistfire wolf skill listed on the pre-purchase page. I remember back in the day, getting pissed when collectors editions started having the audacity to give actual in game bonuses. Feels kind of like a slap in the face, as someone who bought all the original guild wars. They didn't pull this kind of stuff back then, it was just some lame looking fire around your hands as a bonus for buying the CE.

GW1 had fire imp that levels with u all the way up to lvl 20, so i dont see any problem with that mistfire wolf.

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

I doubt that similar skills won't be acquirable in one way or another in-game. It will probably just have an unique effect, but thtere will be more of these skills as you progress. The thing is you have to wait until a certain level ( I think 30) , and you get this one from the start. Not a big deal for me, but i can see why some people aren't too thrilled about it.

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

Originally posted by kostoslav

And fire imp that made leveling much easier... (gw1)

That too, completely forgot about that guy :D

• jml816jml816 Member Posts: 53

Like everybody has said, they did have it back then with the Fire Imp.  Anyways does it really bother you that much?  I am 100% sure it will be the most useless elite skill in regards to the other ones that everybody can get.. 

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by jml816

Like everybody has said, they did have it back then with the Fire Imp.  Anyways does it really bother you that much?  I am 100% sure it will be the most useless elite skill in regards to the other ones that everybody can get.. 

exactly, its pretty much just a starter elite and will be a cosmetic thing later. Certainly not something useful later on when you have unlocked your other elites.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Damzilla

I doubt that similar skills won't be acquirable in one way or another in-game. It will probably just have an unique effect, but thtere will be more of these skills as you progress. The thing is you have to wait until a certain level ( I think 30) , and you get this one from the start. Not a big deal for me, but i can see why some people aren't too thrilled about it.

I don't think we even know yet if the bonus Elite skill automatically unlocks the Elite slot on your skill bar. You may not get to use this earlier than other Elite Skills. The big advantage is that Elite Skills cost a lot of Skill Points. If this elite is decent, you may be able to hold off on buying a normal Elite until later and have the ability to spend your skill points on rounding out your non-Elite skill selection. (I think even the cheapest Elite Skills cost about 15 Skill Points, some as much as 25).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I think it is rather lame myself but long as it isn't something that starts appearing on a regular basis down the road then whatever...

One skill isn't a dealbreaker or anything. I do find it ridiculous though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

People need to shut up already, grow up, move on.

It's a game.  Get your panties out of the wad, rinse the sand out of the nether areas, MOVE ON.

I swear... people come on just to troll stupid stuff that they have ZERO knowledge on and just a BUNCH of assumptions.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Ikeda

It's a game.  Get your panties out of the wad, rinse the sand out of the nether areas, MOVE ON.

I swear... people come on just to troll stupid stuff that they have ZERO knowledge on and just a BUNCH of assumptions.

Well, to be fair a cash shop that provides in-game advantages is a deal breaker for many people, including many that really are excited about GW2.  The CE providing in-game advantages seems to imply the cash shop will be the same.  Why would you assume otherwise?

Full disclosure:  I will not be buying GW2, at least at launch, for a number of reasons one being the cash shop

Fuller disclsoure:  I also do not play any other MMO at this time and am not a "hater" and have no vested interest in any one MMO

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

There's nothing wrong with discussing what we know and share our opinions and concerns... There's nothing childish about it. Regarding trolls - it's the same with haters... Trolls gona troll, no matter what. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Sounds like p2w to me, I hope the cash shop will not offer items like this
  • vecanskivecanski Member UncommonPosts: 131

It really doesen't sound like a big deal. Its a skill that will be replaced fairly quickly by some other more usefull elite skill. I dont think that anyone should be alarmed by this.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Lmao watch it be locked till level 30. I could be wrong but I will be laughing either way.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by RefMinor

Sounds like p2w to me, I hope the cash shop will not offer items like this

Yeah.

While this not made me cancel my decision to buy GW2 it did put alarm light on ,so I will be looking NcSoft / A.net decisions considering cash shop twice as close and judge twice as sharply as I planned to.

Not red card yet ,but definately a yellow one.

• OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

I'm not sure what the big deal is.  We can garuntee it won't be OP, and if it's competitive, we can counter it like it's for a different class or an option we're just not using.  

I on the other hand will have access to it either way, but frankly i find summoning shit completely boring and too randomf or my liking.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ChuvarHrama

GW1 had fire imp that levels with u all the way up to lvl 20, so i dont see any problem with that mistfire wolf.

Yeah, but they didn't start with stuff like that until after Strain left. I can't say I like it but it could be worse, a lot worse.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I think it is rather lame myself but long as it isn't something that starts appearing on a regular basis down the road then whatever...

One skill isn't a dealbreaker or anything. I do find it ridiculous though.

The problem is though it sets a precedent, and with a cash shop it's not hard to imagine other skills being offered in the future. They may not be any more powerful or better than regular elite skills, but they certainly aren't cosmetic.

The nature of the cash shop is going to be particularly important to those who describe GW2 as a revolution in MMO pricing models.  Depending on the nature of the cash shop GW2 will either:

1) Eliminate the subscription fee while providing the same features as a subscription MMO, including no pay-to-win cash shop

2) Charging you $60 up front for a pay-to-win cash shop model that the many "free to play" MMOs provide for no up front cost

This is why many are concerned.  Me personally, I prefer a subscription model with promise that there is no cash shop providing ANY in-game advantages.  And getting better gear/skills quicker and leveling faster is most definately an in-game advantage.  And will GW2 cash shop have these?  Based on CE it looks like it will...

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Uhm, its a CE skill, and not a game-breaker to begin with.  If you are going to pay the additional $$ for a CE box, you should get some nice perks.  Some games offer mounts that you can have available at level 1 that you don't have to pay plat for, or a prestige house.  GW2 is offering this mistfire wolf. 

Why is there this rediculous leap of logic where the Cash Shop will have pay-to-win items?  Pull your heads out and calm down, folks.  You're getting hysterical over wild speculation and nothing more.

For those that need a reminder, read here:

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-09-28/guild_wars_2_pledged_not_to_sell_anything_evil_in_cash_shop.shtml

Originally posted by Telondariel

Uhm, its a CE skill, and not a game-breaker to begin with.  If you are going to pay the additional $$ for a CE box, you should get some nice perks.  Some games offer mounts that you can have available at level 1 that you don't have to pay plat for, or a prestige house.  GW2 is offering this mistfire wolf. 

Why is there is rediculous leap of logic that this means the Cash Shop will have pay-to-win items?  Pull your heads out and calm down, folks.  You're getting hysterical over wild speculation and nothing more.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-09-28/guild_wars_2_pledged_not_to_sell_anything_evil_in_cash_shop.shtml

I'm afraid you are really not up to date.  Things have changed since September of last year.  I copy/pasted this from another users post:

-------------

- Last month, Anet changed the line "cosmetic additions which will not affect balance or gameplay" to "items do not offer any advantage over those available in the game through the investment of time."

- The influence item that comes with the collector's edition already IS an item that gives you an advantage. Wiki says influence can be used both for WvW and PvE advantages, like increased rare drops, +healing/hp for WvW etc.

- http://i.imgur.com/xqdvI.jpg (beta auction house, notice the diamond icon in the lower left corner)

- http://i.imgur.com/AVpQk.jpg (+20% XP bonus item) 

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

The fire imp could only be summoned by a character that was not max level. If this is the same for the elite spell then you couldn't use it in PvP which is the only place I could see people complaining. I could care less what people level with in PvE. If it is useable in PvP so what? Really there will be better elites out there. You aren't going to be able to load your skill bar with lots of elites I assure you. It will come down to a choice.  I wouldn't take up my elite spot with the wolf that's for certain. Though I have no intentions of buying those editions myself and I have zero envy of anyone who does.

In the end it will be something people bring out as a talking point to show they have the whatever edition. Nothing more then a vanity.

One of life's lil hand grenades

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Why is there is rediculous leap of logic that this means the Cash Shop will have pay-to-win items?  Pull your heads out and calm down, folks.  You're getting hysterical over wild speculation and nothing more.

I'm afraid you are really not up to date.  Things have changed since September of last year...

It was 6 months ago, not years ago.

Do you have current info that challenges that post, or are you just being contrary for the sake of making a negative post?

(edit:  caught the wording update.  I guess we'll have to see then.  if its pay-to-win then I'm not going to bother with it)

I'm afraid you are really not up to date.  Things have changed since September of last year...

It was 6 months ago, not years ago.

Do you have current info that challenges that post, or are you just being contrary for the sake of making a negative post?

Yes, I edited my post above with the info.  This change may not bother you, but it is at best a change further down the slippery slope if not right at the bottom of that slope...

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

- http://i.imgur.com/AVpQk.jpg (+20% XP bonus item) 

There are experience bonus items in GW1 too.  They drop in game.