Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Will Have Official Forums (Arena.net blog)

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

^

Well that's a bit of hyperbole.

They said they know what they are getting into, I hope they can pull it off. I'm just pessimistic from previous official forums.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Think it's funny. There was some one crying about GW2 not having forums the last couple days then we get this. LOL

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by DJJazzy

^

Well that's a bit of hyperbole.

They said they know what they are getting into, I hope they can pull it off. I'm just pessimistic from previous official forums.

Satire =)

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

My faith in Arenanet is restored :).

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

From the way they kept going on and on about supporting communities and what not in that thread, it sounds like they might have a twist to it.

In other words: they could still do something similar to what they did with the first game and have a limited forum (maybe support and news/patch info only) and leave the rest to the fansites while supporting them with whatever "platform" (links?) and "inclusive ecosystem" they're talking about.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Xzen

Think it's funny. There was some one crying about GW2 not having forums the last couple days then we get this. LOL

Just as funny as those arguing with them about why A-net was so smart for not having one.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Before.  "ANET NEEDS A FORUM. I can't believe they aren't able to afford a forum . rawr rawr rawr."

After. " OMG I CANT BELIEVE ANET IS GONNA HAVE A FORUM. Terrible mistake! It's gonna be nothing but WoW trolls. rawr rawr rawr"

Mother of god....There's no pleasing you people.

I actually visited the GW2Guru for the first time after reading this announcement, and my god, it was funny to read the QQ and cynism from certain GW2Guru mods in the thread about the announcement.

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

I think its good because of the end of GW2guru and i think its bad cause those people will go to the official forums

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by StriderXed

Outsider: three days ago: "ANET NEEDS A FORUM. I can't believe they aren't able to afford a forum . rawr rawr rawr."

Gw2 fan three days ago: " OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOU  WANT ANET TO HAVE A FORUM. Terrible mistake! It's gonna be nothing but WoW trolls. rawr rawr rawr"

Fixed...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by StriderXed

Before.  "ANET NEEDS A FORUM. I can't believe they aren't able to afford a forum . rawr rawr rawr."

After. " OMG I CANT BELIEVE ANET IS GONNA HAVE A FORUM. Terrible mistake! It's gonna be nothing but WoW trolls. rawr rawr rawr"

Mother of god....There's no pleasing you people.

Different people. It is not that hard to understand that there was one side that absolutely wanted an official forum, while there was another side that completely despised the idea. Then there are, of course, lots of people in between those extremes.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Well obvious question. Will this forum have a search function or will we be told it will and then 3 months LATE IT STILL DOES not..cough cough other game

Also I will qq if these forums are not dyanmic and change every time I view them

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Building Community

"Let me point out the two biggest changes in the ways we interact with our communities between the original Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 right up front: we will have official forums, and we will not have a traditional fansite program." -- Martin Kerstein

AWWW man You beat me to it, i so wanted to post this on a new thread AND on that other thread that claimed "they can't afford it" duh LOL

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

[Mod edit] Good work freedom fighting brothers. Seriously, much of a prick mod do you have to be to go through the forum and delete posts that went against your own opinion and agenda. Remember the Guru Mod's in game names.....

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

This is awesome...haven't been happy with guru...AT ALL.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I wonder how much they will censor their forums.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Only thing I would care about was a server forum....Could care less if they have official anything else, I mean they could just release news updates and I would be fine.

I don't spend time on a general forum for a game, unless something is usually wrong, I am tired of something broken, and such, minus a server forum...So I would of just been fine with official server forums, or even a 3rd party site hosting those...

It doesn't matter, but I didn't see doom or gloom either way...

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

They got their own official forum?

Good.

GW2Guru just isn't a good alternative, too many biased and immature mods. Aionsource was better as a player based general forum acting as temp official forum replacement, GW2Guru not that good.

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

Now it is confirmed: GW2 CE Rytlock is bigger than SWTOR CE Darth Malgus, YAY!...

Anyways, I like that they want to encourage community. I am not sure if that works, but I hope.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Completely surprising

Now I will move to there if I want a second forum instead of being banned periodically in mmorpg.com

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Good news. Can't wait till signups! O:

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Very happy that logic won out. I'm a huge fan of GW2 and Arenanet, but I have to say I was shocked at how many fans were vehemently against official forums, just because they thought Arenanet was against official forums. It will indeed be interesting to see the whiplash in certain threads here and elsewhere. :)

Kudos to Arenanet not only for the decision, but for the philosophy of community management put forth by Martin Kerstein today: http://www.arena.net/blog/category/guild-wars-2

I hope the community management team has some good strategies in check to allow them to handle the community with out letting it drag them down emotionally. Fans have many opinions and often strong opinions. It's easy to dehumanize the fans and see them as enemies of one's personal happiness. Vice versa for fans as well. The Community Management teams don't exist to make fans lives miserable, they do the best they can in interfacing with the community. They don't design the game, they don't nerf your skills. They don't wield ambiguity as a sword just to annoy you. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Phew!

Now that's a relief.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by InFaVilla

I actually visited the GW2Guru for the first time after reading this announcement, and my god, it was funny to read the QQ and cynism from certain GW2Guru mods in the thread about the announcement.

I've never paid much attention at the moderators in gw2guru until today. Guru has been my place for most GW2 interviews and discussions. I'm just surprised to see such strong reaction from the announcement of an official forum. I do see where they are coming from, but can't they atleast wait and see how thought and research on the part of Anet would materialize

Guru Mod: all of the Guru crybabies, QQers and carebears will flood their forum with useless, uninformed dribble instead of wasting our time with it.

sounds like progress for Guru and a step back for ANet

Anet: And i am sure a lot of people might have to adjust their online behaviour, which is probably a good thing.

Guru Mod: if you simply ban everyone that acts like an asshat you won't have a community. You can't turn stupid into anything other than stupid..

Guru User: I disagree. If you ban everyone who cannot be civil in a discussion, you are left with... people who can be civil in a discussion. Which invites more people to discuss, if they feel their ideas will be met with respect.

Guru Mod: the problem here is that most of you have terrible ideas not worth discussing.

Guru User: I don't necessarily disagree, but don't you think that's more than a little condescending/insulting? I'm not saying everything needs to be sugarcoated to protect delicate egos, but a little civility rarely goes amiss...

Guru Mod: I don't work for ArenaNet. "treat everyone like they are a special unicorn that poops rainbows" is not in my job description. The fact of the matter is that the broad majority of discussions that take place on a forum are inane, mundane, usless dribble like "let's get a petition for more eye colors for the asura" or "I don't like x because it affects my ability to like y class" or "this game breaks immersion because it lacks blinking animations during combat".

A very quick way to alienate a community is to remove threads like this deeming them as useless as they actually are. Either ArenaNet can a) allow this inane, mundane, useless dribble and save all the carebears in carealot or b) delete it and alienate the community.

Guru User: I think you missed my point. I didn't say you had to treat people like rainbow-pooping unicorns; I also said that not everything had to be sugarcoated. What I did say was that a little civility doesn't hurt. If you want to close/delete a stupid thread -- and yes, I'm fully aware that most of the stuff on most forums is headdesk stupid -- then fine. Just close/delete it and be done with it. Open insults about how people are idiots and post dribble are, IMHO, unnecessary, unprofessional, and unbecoming in a moderator. 

Just my two cents; I'm not looking for a fight.

Guru Mod: I believe that the fact that people take open insults as personal attacks proves they aren't very bright to begin with. IMHO, if you aren't a chin dribbling moron, you look past open insults to the point actually being made.

Anet: And just because official forums in the past have not been a nice place doesn't mean this is the way it has to be. Time for change 

Guru Mod: As much as I have faith in you guys, I am unconvinced that you will be able to bend the entire internet to your will.

It's not just about stopping flaming either. That's the easy, straight forward part.

We have fairly lax quality standards due to having to cater for the lowest common denominator here (which is now your job I guess) and we still delete a whole world of threads due to low discussion quality.

And yeah, it makes us the bad guys in the eyes of a whole load of people, but we take the hit and those people go on loving anet and getting grumpy about mean old guru - but now that's in your hands. You get to be the ones who are faced with 1000 threads asking what your favourite sylvari eye colour is or petitioning arena net to add blinking into combat animations, and you get to be the bad guy who says "no, this is stupid so I'm going to close it".

Or you get to have a forum that's filled with the inane ramblings of people who think the "new thread" button is the gw2 equivalent of their facebook wall. A place that cannot be used for any serious discussion without wading through a plague of banality.

I personally don't think your moderators will be given the claws to make decisions about thread quality in the same way that an independent site can, but I will observe with interest!

Thank you for making our lives as moderators of guru easier, either way, and thank you all for your terrific support of this fansite during the pre-release phase. I hope you continue to post even when the official site is up!!

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Xzen

Just as funny as those arguing with them about why A-net was so smart for not having one.

And i was one of them and i still think its a bad move but i guess time will tell.I dont mind eating humble pie at all,they are really going for it i guess.Guess this will be part of the new site when its up and running.