Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that D3 has a launch date, when do you think ANET will launch GW2

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Will they decide to go head to head with D3 and launch in May, try to get a jump start (probably not possible based on current beta schedule) or go a bit later, perhaps in late June/early July to let some of the fervor for D3 die down first.

I know, all speculation but hey, that's what forums are for. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I was actually hoping for a May GW2 launch, might still happen.

Would be pretty damn ballsy for Anet to accept pre-purchase in April and not deliver till June/July.

"Hey thanks for your cash, go sit on your thumbs for 2-3 months k thx."

May I think is still reasonable.

Another closed beta for GW2 end of March, multiple weekend beta's (along with ongoing closed beta) in April, launch in May.

Every one of the press beta articles I read/heard seemed to think the game was fairly close to launch ready.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Hard to say. With neither game being based on the subscription model, they are not so dependant on each other success (an mmo aficionado will probably end up sooner or later buying them both, The order may change, but the result will be the same. With a subscription mmo it  would probably be either one or the other)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

They'd better release it when it's ready and no sooner or later.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

WHEN IT'S F**KING READY image

But seriously, the earliest I see Guild Wars 2 launching is Late June. Seeing how they will do beta weekends, once a month, from April.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by freston

Hard to say. With neither game being based on the subscription model, they are not so dependant on each other success (an mmo aficionado will probably end up sooner or later buying them both, The order may change, but the result will be the same. With a subscription mmo it  would probably be either one or the other)

True, its probably not so much a matter of if many people will by both, but just when they'll decide to buy them.  With neither requiring a sub no reason to not buy them both at the same time if they are available, and play them when you get around to it.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by BadSpock

I was actually hoping for a May GW2 launch, might still happen.

Would be pretty damn ballsy for Anet to accept pre-purchase in April and not deliver till June/July.

"Hey thanks for your cash, go sit on your thumbs for 2-3 months k thx."

May I think is still reasonable.

Another closed beta for GW2 end of March, multiple weekend beta's (along with ongoing closed beta) in April, launch in May.

Everyone of the press beta articles I read/heard seemed to think the game was fairly close to launch ready.

Well based upon what Bioware did it was what 5 months after they took your money the game came out? It coul;d happen here as well...............

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

"When it's ready". I doubt they care about D3's release date... "No PvP at launch".

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Well based upon what Bioware did it was what 5 months after they took your money the game came out? It coul;d happen here as well...............

Big difference between a pre-order and a pre-purchase.

5 bucks on a pre-order 5-6 months out is nothing.

And Bioware didn't actually charge your card/account till the release date.

Pre-purchase is 100% of money, paid, actually charged, upfront in advance.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Big difference between a pre-order and a pre-purchase.

They took my money when I pre ordered SWTOR not sure what you are saying here

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Probably after summer

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

If someone is interested in both Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2... I don't see any issue with going "head to head".

Or at least since they aren't subscription based games there isn't an ongoing cost.. like choosing between 2 subscription games... because you only want to pay one fee.   I mean personally I will have D3 and GW2... along with at least one *new* subscription based MMO this year.

It also depends on what kind of time frame between pre-order and launch there is.   Its common for a game to launch 2 to 3 months after Pre-Orders start.   Yet with a recent example of TOR... pre-order was live 5 or 6 months before launch.

Oh and by "pre order" I mean the official pre-order start... not when 3rd party vendors allow you to order (like game stop, amazon etc)

GW2 official pre-order starts April 10th... I would say you are looking at the earliest June for a launch... most likely July or later.  Obviously this is just my opinion... regardless of how I formed it...  its just an opinion.

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

I know I trash talk you GW2 fanboi's a lot, but lets hope GW2 waits until it's ready. I'll admit I've watched a few vid's on it, and will be purchasing it. That in mind let's hope until it's ready for release. If this game releases like its preached, it will double if not triple what SWTOR did to WoW. I will be playing Tera until then, just because it has pvp " F U D3" and that's just that. Hopefully the pvp in Tera will be a training ground for GW2, plus the BAMS are pretty freaking cool. Here is hoping for a fall release of GW2.

Originally posted by hotix

I know I trash talk you GW2 fanboi's a lot, but lets hope GW2 waits until it's ready. I'll admit I've watched a few vid's on it, and will be purchasing it. That in mind let's hope until it's ready for release. If this game releases like its preached, it will double if not triple what SWTOR did to WoW. I will be playing Tera until then, just because it has pvp " F U D3" and that's just that. Hopefully the pvp in Tera will be a training ground for GW2, plus the BAMS are pretty freaking cool. Here is hoping for a fall release of GW2.

What did SWTOR do to WoW last I saw WoW still had 8-10 million subs while SWTOR might have 1.2

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by Antarious

If someone is interested in both Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2... I don't see any issue with going "head to head".

Or at least since they aren't subscription based games there isn't an ongoing cost.. like choosing between 2 subscription games... because you only want to pay one fee.   I mean personally I will have D3 and GW2... along with at least one *new* subscription based MMO this year.

It also depends on what kind of time frame between pre-order and launch there is.   Its common for a game to launch 2 to 3 months after Pre-Orders start.   Yet with a recent example of TOR... pre-order was live 5 or 6 months before launch.

Oh and by "pre order" I mean the official pre-order start... not when 3rd party vendors allow you to order (like game stop, amazon etc)

GW2 official pre-order starts April 10th... I would say you are looking at the earliest June for a launch... most likely July or later.  Obviously this is just my opinion... regardless of how I formed it...  its just an opinion.

Opinions are warmly welcomed in this thread, in fact, that's all it is really about.

I guess you guys are right, the Blizzard annoucement likely has no real impact on ANET's decision on when to launch, they'll worry more about making sure it's really ready and up to their standards.

Though as someone mentioned, if they start accepting people's money (in full) they're sort of obligating themselves to releasing sooner rather than later, so I don't see a late summer release being really likely.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by hotix

Guild Wars 2: The Game the Haters Hate To Love image

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

When I buy two games at once, there is a big chance I play both of them halfheartedly.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

I say July 2012. Keep fingers crossed.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Arenanet is not interested in other games launchdates...

If a lot of people play D3, its good, as there will be less stressproblems at launch, and the people will buy the GW2 boxes anyway, later this year.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

It makes no sense from an economical standpoint to want to release the game JUST TO go head to head with Goliath.  I actually see them delaying a release if anything for this reason and sitting at a nice 2-4 month cushion after D3 releases for those looking to try something else.  It makes sense to me  from a maximum revenue standpoint anyways.  No need to compete in non-subscription games.  I really don't think either of the companies care how much the other makes.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I was excited about D3 until Activision/Blizzard revealed their plans for a Pay2Win model.  My friend shares the same sentiment with me too.  GW2 will be our game instead.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Originally posted by cinos

Can someone explain to me why D3 and GW2 will be competing in anything?

D3 isn't even going to release with multiplayer and there is, as yet, no word as to when that part of the game will be ready.

So yeah, why can't we play both? :p

I dunno, people are crazy. D3 and GW2 aren't competing. They're actually going to be great to play side by side, little MMO action, then switch over for some hack'n'slash action. mmmmmmmm.

D3 will lauchn with multiplayer, but not with PvP.  So you will be able to play in groups co-op through the game, pvp will be patched in later.

I will be playing both for sure.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I'm expecting a May/June launch, depending on how the Beta goes and how many bugs players find, and I think thats how Anet are going to play it and won't commit to a date as yet even though they have announced preorders.  I also think Blizzard have gone on a panic attack and thought they better get  D3 out, even though I dont think both companies need to worry  about each other, both are sub free, both are different genre's and those who want both will buy both, personaly D3 isnt on my list anymore for obvious reasons that many others dropped this title.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Though as someone mentioned, if they start accepting people's money (in full) they're sort of obligating themselves to releasing sooner rather than later, so I don't see a late summer release being really likely.

Exactly.

Pre-order and pre-purchase very different, IMO.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I suspect that now that D3 has a launch date, ANET will launch GW2 when they decide to. Hmm nothing has changed here so please move along.