Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entropia Universe: Planet Cyrene is Coming!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Entropia Universe is getting a new planet to add to the existing ones of Planet Calypso, ROCKtropia, Next Island and Arkadia. If you're ready to face off with some beasties with BIG teeth, Planet Cyrene may be just what you're looking for. Check out our preview and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Planet Cyrene, developed by Digital Scryers as well as Creative Kingdom Animation Studios will be a sci-fi based planet combined with some fantasy elements in the form of shaman native tribes. CEO and Creative Director Ed Robles III started out with a sneak-peak of the storyline that tells of a human army belonging to the Imperium faction being attacked by another faction called the Turrelions in order to force them to join the coalition. Nearly defeated they speak about a distant planet called Cyrene where their hopes for a better future lie.

Read more Arno Laurman's Entropia Universe: Planet Cyrene is Coming!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

the game looks like anarchy online. very crappy.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

looks&story sounds kewl. I signed. - woaw-update D3 comes out May15th.

wont have much time for this- with GW2-Warhammeronline-n D3. ats it for me.

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

actually looks very good

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by bakabröd

Ok, fist time even hearing about this game, interesting. To say it looks like Anarchy Online is a bit silly imo. It looks nothing like AO.  There is no pleasing anyone on this forum.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Nice art style. It really feels alien.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

lol

on topic: if only... there was a game like entropia universe, just p2p with a monthly sub... 

right now its the ultimate sandbox game, dont think it can go and more.. sandboxy... expensive one at that though. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Expect to drop significant funds to play this game, it is most certainly not free.

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I would totally play this game if it were p2p, heck even f2p with some sort of cash shop.

I actually have about $8 deposited in this game, from when I tried it out a long time ago. Can you use your balance anywhere, or are the planets seperate? Also, I'm still a newbie. How hard is it to get from planet to planet?

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

people are still playing this Scam-of a game?   seriously?      10 cents for every ingame item ect. I mean damn.   This new generation is stupid

It..Burns..

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    As a new player myself, I'd like to address a few points.

1st off the game looks very nice and some of the views are quite stunning. I haven't taken this many screenschots since ky LOTRO days. Eu does use Crytek's Cryengine 2 which is quite powerful. Also if you're an explorer you are in for a treat. There are huge landmasses to explore.

2nd. About the money. If your budget is that of a triple AAA MMO. Player (ie. $60 for first month and$ 15 thereafter, you will be just fine. Still there are those that play without deposit gathering up pennies at a time. It is a tedius style of play but it can be done. Also playing for$ is fun! There's always a chance to hit the jackpot.

I have personally deposited$ 200 and after some careful play, my current net worth is 2110 PED. In other words if I liquidate everything right now, my bank would be credited $211. So it os easily possible to make money playing provided you settle for small returns. Hunters can be viable on$20 for months easily (at low level)

In other words the game is no more expensive than buying a CE collection of SWTOR or being a multi-account holder in EVE or DAOC as an example.

Lastly I'll simply add that the DEV's and Player Community are awsome. The RCE keeps the community mature and all the players are most helpful to new players. The mentoring system and advisor staff are first rate. Also the Devs communicate with players constantly any the do listen to feedback. New content is churned out at a rapid pace.

If you have been in an MMO slump-Face it, the past two years have. Mostly sucked- Please give EU a try. You will thank me later. Cheers!
  • OpticronOpticron Entropia Universe CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 74

Planet Cyrene's official launch date has been released, it will be may 1st 2012. More details can be found on the official forum here: http://cyreneforum.com/threads/planet-cyrene-launch-date-released.309/

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

Originally posted by unclemo

1st off the game looks very nice and some of the views are quite stunning. I haven't taken this many screenschots since ky LOTRO days. Eu does use Crytek's Cryengine 2 which is quite powerful. Also if you're an explorer you are in for a treat. There are huge landmasses to explore.

2nd. About the money. If your budget is that of a triple AAA MMO. Player (ie. $60 for first month and$ 15 thereafter, you will be just fine. Still there are those that play without deposit gathering up pennies at a time. It is a tedius style of play but it can be done. Also playing for$ is fun! There's always a chance to hit the jackpot.

I have personally deposited$ 200 and after some careful play, my current net worth is 2110 PED. In other words if I liquidate everything right now, my bank would be credited $211. So it os easily possible to make money playing provided you settle for small returns. Hunters can be viable on$20 for months easily (at low level)

In other words the game is no more expensive than buying a CE collection of SWTOR or being a multi-account holder in EVE or DAOC as an example.

Lastly I'll simply add that the DEV's and Player Community are awsome. The RCE keeps the community mature and all the players are most helpful to new players. The mentoring system and advisor staff are first rate. Also the Devs communicate with players constantly any the do listen to feedback. New content is churned out at a rapid pace.

If you have been in an MMO slump-Face it, the past two years have. Mostly sucked- Please give EU a try. You will thank me later. Cheers!

$20 a month...when you're at low levels....How exactly is that comprable with AAA monthly service charges?

• SneakinSneakin Member Posts: 7

HAHA as to piss off those negative dorks,  Why are there always those non fan boys commenting on these foums :P

Seriously if you don't like the game don't F'n Play it Geesh....  This game is not for everyone but let everyone decide this for themselves.

I personally like EU and can't wait to check out the new Planet,  looks pretty cool.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I've given EU a few tries.  To me the positives were that the world really is beautiful, very beautiful in areas.  The avatars were kind of meh, I was hoping for more fluff and social clothing options but maybe I just never ran into those.  The concepts of maybe hitting a jackpot here or there was fun.

The negatives to me were the combat was very very very boring, again maybe it was just cause I was still noob area of the game.  I had a knife and some (pixie?)armor, I think that is the first set, it was yellow colored.  Anyways I found the combat very boring just clicking and my knife wore out with amazing speed.  The game can and will suck PED out of you in a hurry, but I did like a poster here talked about and put $20 in since it was basically near the same cost of a typical sub game.

I did love doing the surveying and hunting down oil and such.  That was the only area I was recouping any of my costs but I did eventually grind to a halt money-wise and the only way I could have kept going was with buying more, which I chose not to.

To sum up I think this game has a few really great ideas in place but the execution is pretty meh, to me at least.  Like most games anyone interested should just try it and see if it is for them or not :)  The new planet sounds interesting.

Last thing I want to say and what was my own biggest pet peeve with the game.  Default movement was set as qwes for moving and I had hell getting it to wasd, at least I seem to remember after much fighting finally getting it to wasd, I might just be blocking the bad memory of never having gotten it to wasd though, heheh.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by unclemo

Used to play this game extensively.  If you are not careful it is quite easy to sink several hundred or more into this game in the first month no less and have little net worth at the end of the month.  This is a game of chance and the odds are not with you.  So either the person above was extremely lucky or he is pulling your leg.  The grind is horrible for anyone who does not want to invest a lot more than you would in a p2p MMO.

• narfinarfi Member UncommonPosts: 178

Its a fun game, and I am looking forward to seeing what Cyrene has to offer me as an experienced player as well as the new players.

narfi

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Maybe you should at least try a game before commenting...EU has some of the sharpest graphics you will ever see an a MMO while AO is very antiquated (but a fun game despite the graphics).......

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Theocritus

Maybe you should at least try a game before commenting...EU has some of the sharpest graphics you will ever see an a MMO while AO is very antiquated (but a fun game despite the graphics).......

That summed it up, not sure how it looks like AO at all.  But yeah AO was a great game.

• AssensorAssensor Member Posts: 9

The game is awesome!

But too expensive with the real money economy  :(

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Have been meaning to give this another go but aint had the time yet..

To the people who think its too expensive do the following.

At first pop in $30 as if buying a game, then play for 30 days and after that pop in $15 as if its a sub game.. I did this for about 6 months and had a great time :) was before the cryengine update tho..

Sure you can go crazy and put ni al lthe cash you own in the world if you like lol but there is no need with $15 in a mnoth and stuff you make in game you will be fine..

Just do some research first :)

• XanderxavierXanderxavier Member UncommonPosts: 25

Alas, hate to say but most players are plain to stupid to play Entropia properly, if you want to play it without spending a fortune its possible, it will cost you more monthly then the average mmo will however, in return you get to play the best sandbox currently around, see pretty graphics, and the genuine chance if in a gambling style to win a big pile of cash one day, better yet if you invest wisely, and decide one day to quit for good, you can liquidise your assets and withdraw them.

However in order to avoid this before you do much playing you have to do some research, trawling through various guides, unfortunaly there are no decent guides, and the new official ones skimp as well, the reason for this explaining the entire item system from guides is very complicated, because of the sheer variety of available items, saying you 100% do this, this and this, is not always correct.

Hunting is a cash sink, expect approximately between 50-90% returns on your cash invested ie your equiv of montly sub, once you get to around lvl 30-40 ish, but buy doing so efficiently (which requires research best items for best skills and going through the item lists on the excellent fan wiki sites) paying special attention to Damage/PEC on weapons, and of course the equivellent on armour, you can reduce your costs, simply waltzing in with a pile of cash without proper research, and it will all be gone in short order and youll have precious little to show for it unless your very lucky.

Worth nothing to reach lvl 30-40 ish, you have to first get there, which requires skills in the 3k-4k+ ish range as a lvl is in entropia a profession lvl which is made of a collection of associated skills, each skills actual lvl has a "weighting" it contributes to the profession, and the average of these combined skills levels will dictate your actual level.

There is if you plan to get it all yourself allot of grinding to do, over an extended period, however all mmos essentially do this, entropia is just not to good at making you feel like your doing otherwise sometimes.

For people that hate grind there is an alternative, you can buy these skills in "implants" from auctions/other players/shops though most auctions, basically any player in game with every level of skill can if they find/acquire an empty implant inject some of there own skills into the implant, then sell it to others for cash, the price varies depending on how much skill is implanted in it, anything from a couple of hundred skill points relatively cheapily up around 3.5k skill can be simply bought, this means that of course investing in your chars skills is not worthless, as if you decide to cash out of entropia one day you can literally even sell your own skills, and the 3.5k can easily go for over 3000 ped(depending on skill) ie 300 dollars, which isnt to much more expensive then grinding it up yourself..., of course to skip levelling entirely with such hefty buys wont be cheap as you need approx 15 skills for a single profession char, and 15x300 = $4500, why so many, some skills are general and not part of a profession, whilst a profession will only use about 5-7 skills, the other skills youll need anyhow, mostly attribute skills, and health skills.

But essentially with such an investment you'll have a decent char for 0 work, and better yet the value doesnt disappear, as you can at a later point sell those skill and gain the money back, indeed if you sell the skills that youve gained since, youll gain a profit for the time spent, or keep them and sell you original load as extra meaning youll need to buy less if you come back, or if youve played long enough youll have kickstarted yourself higher in the game and get all your investment cash back.

Entropia has no subs, so if you fancy it you can stop playing and simply return months (log in once a year to keep ur account) or even years later, and your cash whilst may have fluxuated due to changes in relative worth within the in-game econonmy, will still be waiting for you, likewise if you play a game with multiple subs, and play this game for a few years, you will spend a fair bit, specially if you top this off with cosmetic items etc, and you're unlikely to ever see a cent you spend back, as selling it is discouraged, and likely to get it all lost in most.

youll end up spending thousands of dollars over an extended period of time in an mmo as a hardcore player, entropia required you spend more of this money upfront but in return allows you to cash in much of this at a later date and cash out.

This is why many entropia players MINE, as oppose to hunt, as hunting is expensive and needs lots of skills, whilst mining requires relatively few skills (just a couple) and gain little effect from most attributes so you can get away with 4-5 skills or less and be a decent miner, and enjoy the game, not to say mining isnt an investment as well, but a far cheaper and often more profitable one.

Yes people with no cash can sweat, but it is very boring, unless you love grinding, you get about a ped or two every 1000 sweat, which will take you an hour or two+ as a noob sweater but as your skills improve so will the time it takes u to get it, but to just get the equiv of a dollar (ie 10 ped) youll need over 5k sweat, + not be impatient to sell it, and similarly 1000 shots for a lvl 16 gun is about 100 peds worth of ammo (which depending on the mob you choose, though if you fight ones for your "level" of mob between 30-70+ shots per kill), the higher the gun the higher the ammo burn, so again damage/pec is important, but on say lesser mobs its worth sometimes swapping to a noobier wep for finishing blow if the healh is low enough for such a weapon to kill it as it would cost more to kill it with main wep and waste potential dmg, also you have to wear appopriate armour for what your fighting, to low, and well you die allot, and probably take to many dur hits so waste your own time, it wont cost you much but it will cost you your own time, to high will cost your money as high lvl items = higher dur to repair.

Of course as well as unlimited items there are limited items which instead of providing its potential (of armour type) protection in proportion to how well repaired they are, have a limited health (tt value) and cannot be repaired, however throughout their entire life until they break will provide maximum protection bonus.

Again which is most efficient depend son you, most players beyond a certain lvl will be in limited armour, as unlimtied armour is simply to rare and expensive for most to afford, and only most efficient usually for those with the skills to use them, I for instance have a 1200 dollar unlimited suit of Armour, (jaguar suit), which provides decent mid-range protection, and is the most I can conscionabley spend , purchased not in one go but in minor 200 at a time intervals until I had the lot, over a couple of years, if I ever choose to quit entropia for good, I can simply sell it and get back my investment in full, so its more like collateral then the disappearing money of a normal MMO subs.

I have a 80 dollar apartment, which is useful for extra storage and nice to own, also re-sellable, I'm a decidedly mid range player, and Im happy with the odd bit of hunting every now and then, as I play many other mmos anyhow, so its fine for me.

But its a game where extremes are possible, for instance the top suit of armours go from $50,000-100,000 dollars, why, rarity most dont drop anymore and those that do very very rare.

The plus side is this means items tend to keep their value if not appreciate (if the population of the game goes up, but is pretty steady most of the time).

If i wanted to get to the next "stage" of the game I could spend 1000 usd on buying a proper house, instead of an apartment, maybe even another couple of hundred usd on top to buy apartments on multiple planets, if I wanted a shop to resell to others in a more organised way, about 1500 dollars, if I wanted to buy a hanger for launching ships (currently no use but good use likely to return in future) thats about 4k usd, if I wanted an unlimited fighter for flying about the place 250 usd, if I wanted a privateer (goes well with a hanger but some are seperatly sold) thats about 4-8k (if you can find one for sale), like buying a car.

So yes you can spend a fortune on entropia IF YOU WANT, but if you just want to play and enjoy yourself and fine with buying crafted or other limited items or getting a peice once or twice a year as a collateral investment its easily done, you can play well, and use an mmo or twos worth of money a month to do so, and get more fun experiences that entropia offers in return, and if you decide to quit for good one day, you can sell your chars exp and any unlimited items (or limtied for a percentage of price depending on how much dur left) and have proceeds paid directly into your real life bank account.

And if you win the lottery, the game will scale with you :), plus if your a real lucky bugger, you could kill a mob and earn (realistically for a solo) potentially up to 20k usd, which despite me not being a gambling man generally speaking is still an enticement, I do play the lottery, but the reason to play entropia is the beutiful mobs, varied locations and great sandbox features, the cash bit is secondary, and you dont have to break the bank to play, and most things you can grind up with time if you love grind, even the cash.

Like RL being a smart trader can earn you cash, and if you invested about $360,000 usd in land deeds atm, youd earn $40k a year for life, (plus many other things and ways) so if you truly love it you can even make it your job, but like rl, you either have to be a jammy bugger, or you must speculate to accumulate, some players earn a profit, a few allot, but most just get it down to paying same as an ordinary mmo  once they have enough exp, with the option to cash out if they ever decide to, so if its worth playing is up to you but its free to check out, so might as well, and 10 ped of ammo streches a whole lot farther as a brand new noob for a few days sweating (or weeks depending on how time limited u are), which could be all done for free.

Btw my total investment in entropia universe is about $2500-3000 ish currently, but I have played since 2004 one and off, though more off then on most years, otherwise I fund it about $40-80 whenever I decide to play for a month or two, cheaper then most social games and not to much more than most mmos, specially free ones for hardcore play, like basically have two or three accounts in most games, and if I earn money back, which I sometimes do, I usually put it into more re-sellable stuff, to raise my investment.