Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: GDC 2012 Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last week's Game Developer's Conference, our team had the opportunity to learn a lot more about Funcom's The Secret World. In the first of our two previews of TSW, we give our readers an overview of the game and our thoughts about it. Read on!

My initial impressions of The Secret World are of a love child between the Dresden Files, Left 4 Dead, and maybe some Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Alan Wake thrown in there for good measure.  Funcom's MMORPG has a fun, refreshing modern world with a clean, minimalist user interface and cinematic story dialogue sequences.  It also has a dark and cryptic feel to it, with great lighting effects and some scripted survival/horror type events in the Templar area that I got to play with.  Fighting monsters in TSW feels pretty comfortably like MMO combat, but a little more action-oriented with the ability to run-and-gun, and I liked that my NPC party members were chatting away through combat, providing a context and tone for what we were up against.  The demo build that I played looked polished and ran well, with a few framerate issues and rough edges here and there.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's The Secret World: GDC 2012 Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Nice write up. I am really excited to try this game. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Interesting gaming ideas.Funcom however has lost my trust.After the debacles of ANARCHY and AOC....I simply wont touch one of their products  till many months AFTER launch...if ever.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I think gameplay videos are better than write-ups - then you can get a real feel for the game.

• NgogorogoroNgogorogoro Member Posts: 11

I´m impressed!

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

me likey

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I think TSW looks really god. I enjoyed the video, nice to see some actual gameplay. :)

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

This game really looks good. I love the concepts, the settings, the mechanics. At least according to what's been released.

But I will wait for a while on this one. I need to know that they aren't going to pull the same crap in this game's Cash Shop that they pulled in Anarchy Online's Cash Shop.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

good graphics at least.

• RiptoseRiptose Member Posts: 3
    The combat didn't really impress me at all.... Non of the zombies (just before the boss fight) even moved..... They wales up pulled 2-3 of them and the rest stood there. Rinse and repeat. Not much fun there.
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Riptose

The combat didn't really impress me at all.... Non of the zombies (just before the boss fight) even moved..... They wales up pulled 2-3 of them and the rest stood there. Rinse and repeat. Not much fun there.

The "fun"is dictated by the dificulty of the mob.  as the voice explained it was a Wave thing, so first 1, then 2, then 4 then the remaining 8 ..then the boss. 

but eh 5 sec of video sure can show you the lack of fun in a game eh. 

/shrug ..

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Pay to paly?No thanks

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167
    Looks cool, but I still remember the AoC launch ... taking a wait and see on this. Given the recent mmorpg.com articles, I'm glad I took a wait and see approach with TOR too.

I don't if I want less content that's more polished and less buggy, but something's gotta give with MMO launches. Half finished games and broken content just doesn't cut it anymore.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Will be there day one, bugs and all. Looking forward to the game.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The only MMORPG im looking forward to this year even if themepark type games aint my thing.. i just love the setting..

Cant wait.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by reignjuste

Pay to paly?No thanks

Thats how MMORPGs should be..

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by HurricanePip

Looks cool, but I still remember the AoC launch ... taking a wait and see on this. Given the recent mmorpg.com articles, I'm glad I took a wait and see approach with TOR too.

I don't if I want less content that's more polished and less buggy, but something's gotta give with MMO launches. Half finished games and broken content just doesn't cut it anymore.

People have been saying this for years too. And yet, it continues.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Sevenwind
    Will be there day one, bugs and all. Looking forward to the game.

same here

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I'm really starting to worry about the close proximity of THIS game's release to GW2.  I have to buy 2 to 3 copies of games when the family is playing and they've expressed interest in both these games.  This makes me a little....I don't know....sad.  I don't want to miss either game, but if I am forced to choose due to close release dates....it will be GW2 for me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

This summer is going to be awesome.  I may age 10 years due to lack of sleep however.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

fresh MMO - yes thank you!

Just got done reading the massively article on TSW. It has a lot more info about crafting, abilities, etc. And wth Funcom I saw a character with a whale tail! Thats just wrong!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

First and foremost, this game looks amazing...Im sure, as in all other Funcom MMO's, they will also introduce something that hasn't been seen in the MMO world.  (Anarchy Online - Instanced Dungeons and AoC - Combat Finishers).  Funcom, as we all know, are known for putting out buggy, unfinished games, but IMHO, they are also known for putting out the most ground-breaking and fun games as well.  I like dark settings too, so all Funcom's MMO atmosphere's really play to my likings. 

As for GW2, I think it will flop.  I don't see why everyone though the first one was so great....itemization was bad, the quests were typical and the world seemed sort of grindy to me.  the best part was no monthly fee.  So how did ArenaNet all of a sudden become MMO gods?  I have no clue.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by chaod1984

First and foremost, this game looks amazing...Im sure, as in all other Funcom MMO's, they will also introduce something that hasn't been seen in the MMO world.  (Anarchy Online - Instanced Dungeons and AoC - Combat Finishers).  Funcom, as we all know, are known for putting out buggy, unfinished games, but IMHO, they are also known for putting out the most ground-breaking and fun games as well.  I like dark settings too, so all Funcom's MMO atmosphere's really play to my likings. 

As for GW2, I think it will flop.  I don't see why everyone though the first one was so great....itemization was bad, the quests were typical and the world seemed sort of grindy to me.  the best part was no monthly fee.  So how did ArenaNet all of a sudden become MMO gods?  I have no clue.

Because this one isn't like GW1 gameplay at all.  It's actually built to be an MMORPG not a CO-OP RPG.  It's also getting away from the BS raid or die mentality that permeates and ruins current MMORPGs.  PLUS, it's making PVP in an MMORPG worthwhile and FUN again.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by reignjuste

Pay to paly?No thanks

So...you won't pay for a game if it's good. It should be free? Interesting.

Originally posted by chaod1984

It would be nice if we could talk about games we are interested in without talking about games we are not interested in. But thats just me.