Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Competitive PVP Interview

2»

Comments

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Best classic mmo pvp after wow for sure. Patch 1.2 will only improve sky high this super extraordinary game. Guys do not be angry on game if you got killed to much in bg, practice make you better player. I know what is the problem with HB pvp--some of the people who are not very good in pvp get destroyed from same server and from same faction players. You know how hard is that for some of this guys?! He cant say anymore on general chat how awesome he is and how easy he can solo 2-3 players becouse everyone knows him and  people would laugh about that. Be cool it is  just a game made for fun and not for rage

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by palulalula

Best classic mmo pvp after wow for sure. Patch 1.2 will only improve sky high this super extraordinary game.

Lol...I am literally laughing out loud right now.  What a ridiculous statement, no offense meant.  Hey we are all welcome to our opinion on the game, but how do some of you guys say stuff like that with a straight face.  Yeah, the reason many people don't like the PvP in this game is because they aren't good at it.  That must be it.  

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

So they move to "competative" pvp (aka battlegrounds only) after "deprecating" Ilum. image

Good work on avoiding the sore spot of Ilum though, probably wouldnt have gotten anything useful out of them by going there anyway.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"Yeah, the reason many people don't like the PvP in this game is because they aren't good at it.  That must be it.  "

or its because the pvp in this game is just bad.i mean,me personally the other aspects of the game overshadow its bad pvp,but i have my doubts the pvp will improve much

or at least in good timing.and not far after all the serious pvpers would of already unsubbed and are playing games like guild wars 2 and tera that have good pvp in there game.but dont me wrong though,i dont really care and think the pvp is ok from what ive did but im just going by what ive seen by the people in charge of the pvp,it doesnt really look like theres much in terms of a future with this game and serious pvp

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

When did Pokket become an ambassador for competitive PvP?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy her articles and videos, when they are related to PvE content. But she isn't exactly someone I would look to for advice on competitive Player vs Player content or strategy.

Odd.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Kost

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy her articles and videos, when they are related to PvE content. But she isn't exactly someone I would look to for advice on competitive Player vs Player content or strategy.

Odd.

Marketing 101

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Oh jeezus...

Ok, we understand that EA has the most marketing bucks than anyone else,  but this is getting simply ridiculous.

At this point they should probably hide uder a rock somewhere and hope no one notices them. My god, "competetive PvP" in SWTOR?

I'm not a malicious man by nature but I sure hope EA finally dies off in a tar pit somewhere quiet and stops bothering us with its garbage. According to my highly precise economical calculations it should happen in the period of the next two years. I expect a gradual dying-off of the parasitical PR growth off the main body as its depleted of its monetary resources. After that there is a possibility of a ressurection of sorts but I wouldn't bet on it.

It's always a sad spectacle to see an empire die.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Funny, all I have to do is look at the history of each negative poster to get to the truth of the matter. Another funny thing is if pvp is sooo horrible, why is it over half of each server is doing it? Oh that's right out of bordom, as SWTOR is the only game in exsistance so we rather play down right unplayable pvp then play anything else.. hmm yea. great logic you guys!

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by chaintm

Funny, all I have to do is look at the history of each negative poster to get to the truth of the matter. Another funny thing is if pvp is sooo horrible, why is it over half of each server is doing it? Oh that's right out of bordom, as SWTOR is the only game in exsistance so we rather play down right unplayable pvp then play anything else.. hmm yea. great logic you guys!

Jeez man, you're right.

So please explain to me why I'm playing TF2 while I'm waiting for GW2? And why are all of my friends trying to sell off copies with "Don't tell anyone, I'm trying to get my money back!"  Lol, funny isn't it? All our arguments fall when confronted with a simple fact - "No, I'm not paying the money for this product." "Here's my 15 bucks a month, and no, you're not getting any. Haha."

I suppose it's the customers who can't comprehend the "grand vision" of the creators who are at fault then?

Megod, SWTOR is probably the PRIME example of the failure of the big corporate entertainment industry right now.  They'll cite it as the game industry's equivalent of "Heaven's gate" in a couple of years, lol.

Lol, sites showing real SWTOR's subs shut down all of a sudden with no explanation, lol. Someone trying to douse the fire with gasoline much? Anyone who has at least a half an ear to the digital ground knows what's the score. Hasta la vista baby and i hope you enjoyed your "story" lol and meanwhile the "niche" Minecraft sells 20 million copies while being made by a one guy. Lol, lol and double lol!

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I don't have to explain anything, you just said it, you don't play it , so how do you know beyond what you played prior to quiting? It's like that post you read when someone says "well wait till level 20, thats when the game gets really good!" . Yea, ok, it's simple, you like it or you don't, but in no way does that equal a majority opinion or some radical concept that every company in the world that makes over a few million equals the next Umbrella Corporation consipiring to not tell you the TRUTH!. Oh no's! Your life is over, the game sucks!... eh how about saying, yea it blows, next! and leave it at that? Nah, that wouldn't be fun, heck your other gaming is so good atm that you rather post here then be in those games right? Just like me posting and not playing SWTOR atm, must mean I hate it!

Dish it out anyway you like, but the pvp in this game is opinion just like any game with pvp. My personal opinion is dark age of camelot had the best MMO pvp to date. Nothing in my eyes comes even close, but you will have others that swear it was game B,C, or D. Hell , wait till guild wars 2 comes out, come back here in a month or heck even a week after release and see the hate flow.  For me SWTOR might not have the best pvp out there, but it's playable and fun. The racks on it making everyone 50 is laughable , for if you actually played the pvp you would know why.

Point to it all is, the history of each of the negative posters here follows a trend and hey more power to yea, the great thing about MMORPG.COM is you can say what you will and others can as well (within reason) and have arguments, discussions and more without any issue of being silenced. In the end thou, I will defend any game that I even may not even like so much if people are just out right spamming miss given information. Share your opinion , throw out you hate abc have at it,  but don't think you won't be called out on B.S. It will happen everytime and here more often then not.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

The whole immersion thing is laughable.  So slave girls in PvP is going to break immersion, but a guy wearing little more than a duster and a cowboy hat is going toe to toe with a heavily armored guy with rockets and flamethrowers isn't?

And that ignores the fundamental flaws in a game with PvP servers where open world PvP is discouraged by a design that funnels factions away from each other for most of the game.  What's bad about PvP in SWTOR isn't being fixed by a miracle patch because the falws are built in to the very fabric of the game.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Zekiah

Odd.

Marketing 101

Token female gamer was my take on it, would have helped if she'd actually been a gamer though,  i get the feeling she's very new to both the reporting and the gaming. image

• StevenraStevenra Member Posts: 6

And what questions would you have asked oh great and mighty male gamer? In all your mighty wisdom as being a male,and i bet a new one at that, gamer what questions would have made you happy?   Stop judging a book by its cover and judge the content.  Not one of you has made an actual point aside from" Its a female gamer and shes a poopoo head and swtor sucks"?  Nice job people real mature very token childrens comments.  Try staying on point, if its possible, and offering up some actual critique. 

As for the interview I think that it needed to be slightly harder hitting, ask some difficult questions i'm sure they won't answer but at least you asked.  Keep up the good work and you'll get better every time.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

The whole immersion thing is laughable.  So slave girls in PvP is going to break immersion, but a guy wearing little more than a duster and a cowboy hat is going toe to toe with a heavily armored guy with rockets and flamethrowers isn't?

And that ignores the fundamental flaws in a game with PvP servers where open world PvP is discouraged by a design that funnels factions away from each other for most of the game.  What's bad about PvP in SWTOR isn't being fixed by a miracle patch because the falws are built in to the very fabric of the game.

Aha that is your problem :) No more warrior class melle range 100% pawn. You should try game to 50 lev , from your post i see that you have very little expirience in tor 50 lev bg--for example marauder will for sure pawn any ranged class if he get close to him, but guys you must learn to play with melle because this game is balanced and you cant just one hit button kill. Any good Marauder from my guild would laugh on post like that-sorry dude no offence please but do not write something what is not true. Same is for PT, cmon!!!

• jfz133jfz133 Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Phry

Odd.

Marketing 101

Token female gamer was my take on it, would have helped if she'd actually been a gamer though,  i get the feeling she's very new to both the reporting and the gaming. image

She actually spends more time pvp'ing than most of the "pvp'ers" out there do.

• Xyr3sXyr3s Member Posts: 1

yea she does pvp alot more than all the so called pvp'ers out there definitely......

and if all of u nubs want extraordinary pvp, then wait for tera or gw2 without crying here...... we all knew when swtor was announced that it was gonna be a wow type mmo....and honestly??? swtor pvp is way better than wow pvp..... and im happy with that..... it doesnt have to be ground breaking..... that's why im waiting for gw2 to come out.... for pure skill based pvp.

and there is no competitive pvp in swtor.... competitive pvp == pvp'ing for money and prizes in tourneys..... profesional players and pvp as an esport...... dont throw around phrases u dont know the meaning of. there could be in the future if they can actually make it happen.... but as of currently swtor pvp isnt competitive.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by jfz133

Odd.

Marketing 101

Pokket has done a fair amount of PvP with games that are PvE centred (SWTOR, Rift). However, these games are not the best examples of PvP.                                                                 

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by palulalula

Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

Aha that is your problem :) No more warrior class melle range 100% pawn. You should try game to 50 lev , from your post i see that you have very little expirience in tor 50 lev bg--for example marauder will for sure pawn any ranged class if he get close to him, but guys you must learn to play with melle because this game is balanced and you cant just one hit button kill. Any good Marauder from my guild would laugh on post like that-sorry dude no offence please but do not write something what is not true. Same is for PT, cmon!!!

Did you reply to the right post?  What you typed has nothing to do at all with what I said.  I got a character to 50 rather quickly and played for a month after that until I was bored out of my mind, but what does that have to do with immersion breaking character appearance or lack of open world PvP?

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

So, this competitive PvP interview doesn't once mention the ridiculous CC in this game?  There is very little skill involved in PvP in this game.  Most of the time, it's who can faceroll their way to victory with their multiple CC abilities.  Resolve, doesn't work 9 times out of 10.  Snares and Roots don't even add to resolve.  Knockbacks add very very little, and immediately start your Resolve bar decreasing, so you end up with less Resolve than what you started with by the time you even get back to the fight.

Asking for a game to  have no PvP stat, and little to no CC, would make that game's PvP competitive and fully based on skill.  I'm not saying take away PvP armor, because you could still have that as a reward, with more heavily leaning on whatever the HP stat might be in that game, while still relying 100% on skill to get you through a PvP encounter.  Facerolling CC does not make a game have competitive PvP.

And there's my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Odd.

Marketing 101

Pokket has done a fair amount of PvP with games that are PvE centred (SWTOR, Rift). However, these games are not the best examples of PvP.                                                                 

Because you don't like these games doesn't mean there's no competitive pvp. Competitive pvp comes from the community, not the game.

Besides she played UO for over 7 years, was that not a PvP game?

Originally posted by Khaine007

So, this competitive PvP interview doesn't once mention the ridiculous CC in this game?  There is very little skill involved in PvP in this game.  Most of the time, it's who can faceroll their way to victory with their multiple CC abilities.  Resolve, doesn't work 9 times out of 10.  Snares and Roots don't even add to resolve.  Knockbacks add very very little, and immediately start your Resolve bar decreasing, so you end up with less Resolve than what you started with by the time you even get back to the fight.

Asking for a game to  have no PvP stat, and little to no CC, would make that game's PvP competitive and fully based on skill.  I'm not saying take away PvP armor, because you could still have that as a reward, with more heavily leaning on whatever the HP stat might be in that game, while still relying 100% on skill to get you through a PvP encounter.  Facerolling CC does not make a game have competitive PvP.

And there's my 2 cents.

While I agree that  the break free ability should add cc immunity for a short duration after being used, I don't think getting rid of CC completely would make the game any more fun. Playing with CC requires a fair amount of strategy, both to use your CC properly and counter enemy CC. Without it PvP would just be a glorified hack and slash game.

• PokketPokket Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by Khaine007

Resolve does work, though I agree I think that knockbacks should add more to resolve. But I haven't had too much of an issue. Most of the times that I've die with a full resolve bar are the times I have 3-5 people on me and I'd likely die even if there weren't CC used.

Besides, for a lot of the CCs there are counters. A player knocks me back? Jump to them, stun them, snare them, mez them, force speed to them, etc. A player pulls me? Jump away, knock them back, or have a SAGE "Rescue" you. A player stuns me? I likely won't die with one stun (unlike some other MMOs) and as soon as I am out, take precautions to survive. A player snares me? Cure it. A player roots me? Can still casts spells and survive.

Snares and roots don't need to go against resolve. You still have control of your character. You say that games would require more skill without CC and a PvP stat, but quite honestly I think you're wrong. Even the use of CC requires some skill. The players who think they can get away with a "spamfest" of CC are likely bad players that piss off the rest of their team. Stunning, mezzing, knocking back, pulling, etc... has to be done at the right time or it can 1] cause the person to survive 2] cost the game.

The one thing I will add, however, is that I don't like how the CC break doesn't give a couple seconds (at least) of immunity to CC... almost making the break not worth it if your resolve bar isn't full.

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays
  • PokketPokket Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Odd.

Marketing 101

And that's where you are all wrong. I've been playing video games since I was around the age of 5. I've been playing MMOs since I was 12.

Ultima Online was the first MMO I played and, when I joined, it was almost purely PvP based. I played that game on and off for over 7 years before I played WoW, Warhammer, Rift, and SWTOR.

As for SWTOR not being competitive... competitive is what you make of it. Come to our server and tell me that we don't have competitive PvP guilds, because I can guarantee that you are wrong. Just because a game also has a PvE focus, does not make it solely a PvE game.

Youtube: PokketProductions | Twitter: @Pokketsays | Facebook: Pokketsays