Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terraria, anyone tried yet?

KrasnijKrasnij Member Posts: 40

Hello dear community,

i recently bought Terraria on Steam and played yesterday evening a little bit, i have to admit its pretty nice, reminds me of minecraft with more combat involved. Did anyone play that game maybe? As a starter i am pretty overwhelmed by the sheer amount of possibilites in that game, it has a multiplayer feature, kinda like it.

whats your opinion on that one?

best regards

Kras

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I love the game.  I have played both Terraria and Minecraft. . I know I will be hung here but I like Terraria a lot more.  I have played multiplayer with a friend and we had a blast.  Very addicting. :)

If you like buiding and figuring our recipies etc.. . . exploring then it is a great game.  I grabbed it when it was on Steam for $5.  As far as being overwhelmed about what to make you can use the guide guy to drop ingredients on and he will tell you what you can make with it.

here are some simple tips that are not spoilers really:

1)  build something to protect you the first night (same as minecraft)

2) to make a "room" for someone to stay in you need a door, walls, a flat surface and a light source.  A table chair and torch are fine.

Explore from there.  They keep improving the game as well.  I have not played since the last major update but I liked the change about the cactus plants in the desert not hurting you now.  That got pretty annoying.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

If you just got Terarria you have been missing out :) I much prefer it over minecraft. Kinda sucks the devs are working on a new project but they did nearly double the size of the game for free with the hardmode before moving on.

Anyway great, great game.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Played Minecraft and playing Terraria atm, somehow I like Terraria much more - so much to do.

Hunting for statues nowadays, I really want a Fish one. :]

• makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

I enjoyed Terraria, although not as much as I enjoy Minecraft.

One of the major pros for Terraria would be the simple server setup. While for MC you either have to rent a server or provide a good computer from your home and then still need Hamachi or similar programs to help you make it available to your friends, in Terraria it's just a few clicks - ad it works fine.

And I agree with you, there's a lot more combat; obviously the focus is on adventuring and exploring. This can be engaging as well, especially if you're playing with friends.

However, to me, it lacks the creative aspect. A lot. While you have tons and tons of items you can craft, you're limited to what the devs gave you. Maybe I don't like the look of that chandelier, I'd like to make a different one from glowsticks. MC lets me do that, Terr won't. Even if Terr had the option of playing on peaceful, I just wouldn't have the fun in building structures over structures - MC scores huge amounts of points for me by letting me create basically infinite, individual buildings, and I choose whether they have a purpose or not - not the game.

Terraria is a great game, but in contrast to Minecraft, I need to play it with friends to fully enjoy it. Ever so often we still sit down to play - one of the reasons being that they don't own Minecraft. *grins*

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

An Awesome game!

If only it had steam acheivments... or something.

but for a cheap game on steam It had me addicted for a long time! :)

• flatpickerflatpicker Member Posts: 3

I've been playing the game for a while and really enjoy it!  I agree that achievements, through steam espically, would get me to play the game more often, but I love gathering and crafting games.

If you like Terraria you might also like Junk Jack for IOS.  Its a little dumbed down, but basically has the same layout.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Awesome game !

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Probably my favorite game to release last year.  Bought it for 10 bucks and ended up dumping 100-200 hours into it.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Bought it but it turned out to just not be my type of game, didn't like minecraft either though. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Tried it and couldn't get into it. For me, adding combat gameplay to what is essentially a creativity toy is like building a house of cards with a sugar-fueled five year old in the room. I felt more like I was being interrupted by combat than actually being challenged by it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I didn't see what was so great about Minecraft myself, but then again Im not a Lego person.

• KrasnijKrasnij Member Posts: 40

after 20 hours of gameplay i defeated the world eater, skeletron and eye of chtuluhu, playing with a friend this game kicks ass, i love it very much, saw some harpies when i build a stairway to heaven :-.) little gravity there,zombies jump  like 6x their height, i love this game, got the meteor armor set with the space gun, fantastic.

so my review: try it for 10 bucks you cant go wrong , and get a friend to play it too, together its more then double the fun.

Best regards

kras