Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hang on does this game have a seamless world or not?

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

It appears that it is not seamless.  Having only 25 zones would not be a problem if GW2 had owpvp but sadly it does not.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by biggarfoot

i like the quotes from the fanboy's in this thread. saying it will be pratically seamless, or you wont notice it.  the zone's are so big you wont notice it.  give me a break.  i've watched all the press beta videos, and they hit as many load screens as SWTOR.  You don;t need to try to hide anything from other people, just tell it like it is.  there are load screens, and lots of them.  the world is not seemless. 

Would you like to supply a source, because I never seen that many loading screens in all the videos I have seen.  The loading screens that I have seen with death porting, city portals that were seen were not long enough to be game breaking and no more so than previous MMO's I have played.

watch the yogscast videos.  there are load screens with the personal story quests and in between zones. it's not a new idea and i dont know why you care so much.  there are just as many load screens as with swtor.  anet has even said so much.  it's really no surprise.

Seen the Yogscast vids and they didn't even travel inbetween zones. The only times they experienced a load screen was for the personal story and traveling to a waypoint and nothing else. People who don't want to experience all those load screens can simply avoid them by not doing the story content and traveling by foot but, people tend to prefer the convenience of teleportation over being forced to travel long distances, again & again.

You explained what I was trying to say far better then I myself could.

One of life's lil hand grenades

If i'm not mistaken mmorpg staff played in the media event and they even stated that GW2 has loading screens between zones and the world is not seemless.  But on the bright side they did say the zones were big,  so you should have plenty of room chopping mobs for your pve enjoyment.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by stayontarget

If i'm not mistaken mmorpg staff played in the media event and they even stated that GW2 has loading screens between zones and the world is not seemless.  But on the bright side they did say the zones were big,  so you should have plenty of room chopping mobs for your pve enjoyment.

Pretty much. Hopefully the load screens will be so short (once the game is optimized) that it will become a non-issue.

Pretty much. Hopefully the load screens will be so short (once the game is optimized) that it will become a non-issue.

I think it will be a non issue for most people. It does take my sons computer longer to load zones then mine and we are on the same connection so some of the wait time may be computer related. But we'll see I guess.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by tixylix

Hmm I'll wait to play the beta if I get in or see the reviews, I'm dead against teleporting in games unless it is a class mechanic, then all that happens is people teleport everywhere and don't travel killing world PVP.

Have to wait and see.

i think Tera online will be a good choice for you.  since it has a huge seamless world with no zoning loading screen whatsoever.

With the amount of people that will play it,  yeah i'm just gonna go out on a limb and say its gonna be an issue.  They better have a crap ton of over flow servers.  I doubt they will be rocking T1 servers for a b2p.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

tldr

Yes, there are loading screens between zones(which includes personal stories) and while teleporting, if its anything like GW1, the first time you load will take a crap ton of time(depend on your internet connection or server status), but then it will go almost instantly

You can't just jump into the world and zip around as you have to unlock these waypoints,after that, yes, but then it is your problem

There is no ganky ganky world pvp so no pvp aspect to be ruined by this

Anyone willing to pick my post and take advantage of things I left out to start another inquisition?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

For me it's important to have a world like WoW did back in classic where it is all seamless apart from the instances. Yet all I'm seeing is how you'll be able teleport everywhere which instantly kills the world and ruins the whole point of an MMORPG for me. The news on mounts just means they don't expect you to travel very far and the game will be all instanced and zoned. 

The whole point of an MMO for me is to have this world, otherwise it might as well be a standard multiplayer game that just has a graphical server browser. The problem with SWTOR is you pay a subscription so I cannot justify that when I can get the same map design for free in a multiplayer game. GW2 however doesn't charge a subscription so I don't have to make the same choice or complaint around subscribing. 

However with this news it isn't going to be the next MMO I and many people have been waiting for on these forums. It just looks like it'll be like all the other modern MMOs that have largely gotten rid of their world for instances and fast travel.

:

It is like WoW.. so, not completely seemless. In WoW you got 2 Zones(the two continents) and in GW you got 4 Zones. In both of them you will have some intances(WoW -> Dungeons, Raids) and in GW(Dungeons, a few Personal Story Instances).

In both games the seemless Zones are huge, so it is not really a big problem, that they are not completely seemless.

PS/Edit: Loading Screens apear when you cross the Zones, or enter a Instance(Dungeon, Story Instances) or you travel with a portal. The portals are spread around all Zones in GW2, but you have to discover them, before you can travel to this point(with other words, you have to walk at least one time there. You can use Portals within one Zone(seemless world) or to other Zones, but in any case you will have a loading screen. So if you dont like loading screens, dont use Portals.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Apraxis

For me it's important to have a world like WoW did back in classic where it is all seamless apart from the instances. Yet all I'm seeing is how you'll be able teleport everywhere which instantly kills the world and ruins the whole point of an MMORPG for me. The news on mounts just means they don't expect you to travel very far and the game will be all instanced and zoned. 

The whole point of an MMO for me is to have this world, otherwise it might as well be a standard multiplayer game that just has a graphical server browser. The problem with SWTOR is you pay a subscription so I cannot justify that when I can get the same map design for free in a multiplayer game. GW2 however doesn't charge a subscription so I don't have to make the same choice or complaint around subscribing. 

However with this news it isn't going to be the next MMO I and many people have been waiting for on these forums. It just looks like it'll be like all the other modern MMOs that have largely gotten rid of their world for instances and fast travel.

:

It is like WoW.. so, not completely seemless. In WoW you got 2 Zones(the two continents) and in GW you got 4 Zones. In both of them you will have some intances(WoW -> Dungeons, Raids) and in GW(Dungeons, a few Personal Story Instances).

In both games the seemless Zones are huge, so it is not really a big problem, that they are not completely seemless.

yeah, im not trying to take sides, or knock anything, but gw2 is not seemless. and thats what i thought this topic was about. there are load screens between zones and when you enter personal story areas and city's.  and as far as anet has said there will be different instances of the city depending on how many people are there.  different intances of the same areas.  there will be loading screens, the world is not seemless.

I've got the straight edge.

See my edit.

And another edit:

I never claimed GW2 is completely seemless. But he asked in comparsion to WoW, which wasnt seemless, too. And they are very similar. It is a difference between games with huge zones, which may appear rather seemless(like WoW and GW2) and pathed Games(almost every Console Game, and nowadays a lot of MMOs.. best example is Age of Conan). The difference is the size of the zones, and the design of those zones. In pathed games those zones follow more or less a path(like Kingdoms of Amalur.. another example) and are rather small, or games like WoW or GW2, where those zones are huge and more designed like a square.

And again another edit:

By the way.. there is a reason why a lot of games choose the pathed way, with rather small zones and limited players in those zones(as example again Age of Conan), because with those limits, you have a lot more capability for better graphics, high polygon Avatars, more detailed, again high polygon environment. Because overall your Graphic card can just render as much polygons at once(or in other word within a zone). Other games, completely seemless games, use a Radius of View for how much your graphic card renders, or is able to show. But there are problems with this technique, because if an unexpected amount of people enter your Radius of View, it can not scalar fast enough down your RoV and it apears to lag for a short period of time, until your RoV is reduced that much, that your graphic card can handle it, another downside to this is, that your Line of Sight may be reduced extremely.

:

yeah, im not trying to take sides, or knock anything, but gw2 is not seemless. and thats what i thought this topic was about. there are load screens between zones and when you enter personal story areas and city's.  and as far as anet has said there will be different instances of the city depending on how many people are there.  different intances of the same areas.  there will be loading screens, the world is not seemless.

Lets be honest, you already did some pages ago, we are at mmorpg.com, its ok to camp other games forums to create chaos and doom

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

This is my understanding of all this:

The game has 26 PVE zones, excluding the Major Cities.

The zones are grouped into regions, with most regions being made up of four zones. There is no load screen between zones in the same region, but there is a load screen when traveling between regions.

Press from the Press Beta reported that the zones are huge, about the size of The Barrens in Vanilla WoW. There is also a lot of evidence to support that Tyria, at launch, will be slightly bigger than WoW was at launch.

Before people moan over load screens between regions, Vanilla WoW was subdivided as well, although there were fewer regions you needed to have a load screen between. (Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Telddrasil, Ruttheran Village, The Tram). This has increased with the expansions.

Teleportation to Way points is cheap and unlimited, but you still need to unlock those way points.

Since most PVE content is in the form of Dynamic Events, which you need to find by exploring the world, you will want to travel by foot when seeking out content. Way point travel just makes it easy to travel distances when you want a change of scenery, need to visit vendors/trainers, or otherwise want to go some where else for friends/content/etc... It cuts down on travel as a time sink, but you are still encouraged by the game to travel, explore and immerse yourself in the game world. (I much prefer this to games that make you waste 10 to 20 minutes of safe, but tedious, travel time when ever you need to go some where else in the world. Travel time sinks can be a huge barrier to grouping with friends and guildmates in other games).

Also, though the game does make use of instancing for Major Dungeons, Personal Story Content and the initial 10 minute tutorial zone, the main game zones are not instanced. There will never be more than one copy of a normal zone on your server. Everyone on your server playing in the same zone will be there together, not in seperate phases or instances.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Without a sub fee it can be as instanced as it wants to be for all I care. No sub = bliss.

Originally posted by dinams

:

Lets be honest, you already did some pages ago, we are at mmorpg.com, its ok to camp other games forums to create chaos and doom

lol, some pages ago?  all im doing in my estimation is creating conversation, if you have some sort of problem with that, then *shrug*.  link me my post "some pages ago" please.

Originally posted by dinams

:

lol, some pages ago?  all im doing in my estimation is creating conversation, if you have some sort of problem with that, then *shrug*.  link me my post "some pages ago" please.

I could, but then I would be banned for the sixth time lol

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

:

Please, I would like to know where Anet said there will be different instances of the same areas.

This is not a game.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    You probably shouldn't have asked this yet ^^
    Some people in here could "cut a bitch" lol.
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Eve: 1 Space(no copies), instanced docks and HQs (not sure about wormholes)

WoW: 4 Zones (3 in Azeroth, 1 Outland..not sure if  Draenei Island is a zone as well), 5th is coming - Pandaland - None of those creates copies

WoW instances(lots of copies):Dungeons,Raids, and as any other MMO all quests

AoC/SWTOR : everything instanced (due to player limit per zone)

GW2: 4 Regions aka Zones, plus 5 City Zones (none of those creates copies)

GW2 instances(lots of copies): Personal Story zones/quests, Dungeons

This thread needs comparison, not fighting about what seamless, or instance exactly means - that's just childish and plain stupid

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Zeroxin

:

Please, I would like to know where Anet said there will be different instances of the same areas.

remember when they announced overflow servers?.....read up on that.

:

Instances and Zones are a different thing. Zones are basicly sperated as a instance, but there is just one copy of it. So if you enter a zone everyone, who entered the same zone will be there. A Instance will have unlimited copies of the same area, so if you enter a instance not everyone entering will in the same instance. From a technically view of point it is done to devide people into different Servers(for netload) and to limit amount of players because of graphic(polygon count) and net traffic.

Edit: WoW and GW2 and a few other games use Zones(single copy) and other games use instances of areas(like Age of Conan).

:

Instances and Zones are a different thing. Zones are basicly sperated as a instance, but there is just one copy of it. So if you enter a zone everyone, who entered the same zone will be there. A Instance will have unlimited copies of the same area, so if you enter a instance not everyone entering will in the same instance. From a technically view of point it is done to devide people into different Servers(for netload) and to limit amount of players because of graphic(polygon count) and net traffic.

id like to disagree.  for whatever it's worth.  if   a zone is "full" you will be put into a differnt instance of that zone.  check into the overflow server thing they talked about, about a month ago. 

:

id like to disagree.  for whatever it's worth.  if   a zone is "full" you will be put into a differnt instance of that zone.  check into the overflow server thing they talked about, about a month ago. 

ahhh like districts in GW1? I was wondering if they'd have them. I'm not bothered by this personally but I'm used to it. Sometimes it's a benefit.

Originally posted by MwynForever

:

ahhh like districts in GW1? I was wondering if they'd have them. I'm not bothered by this personally but I'm used to it. Sometimes it's a benefit.

could be like districts in gw1, no idea. never played it.

:

That is again a different thing. Yes you will be asked in GW2 if you want to join an overflow server. That is a complete different server/world, you may join during a zone is filled. And they will not created like a instance, they are just other servers where ppl play already. Like the realms in WoW, as if you would asked to join there for a while during your own realm is overfilled. You remember the server/realm queues in WoW? They try to avoid it, with the option to join another server during your own server is full.

By the way, in older games like DAoC without those limits(as in WoW and GW2) the server started to lag and then just crashed in such a situation, which happend from time to time. And as the EvE server/node crashed from time to time. But they have another technical resolution. Just a little explanation about the EvE server structure, they use a server cluster, as most modern mmos, which divide the world into different servers, and theoretically, if the server need more resources another server will be integrated into the server cluster(a mesh of different servers). But however, they just have that much servers at any time, and sometimes the reaction time is not as fast as needed, and a node will crash. You cant really avoid it, except you will put some limits onto your server/realms/worlds, like WoW or GW2, but then again you need other solutions for the exact same problem, like queues, or overload servers.