Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population Increase!!!!!

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Norpan

Originally posted by Burntvet

Stock price ~ $.02-.03

And not going anywhere, and has been at that or close to for an extended period.

As a company, SV is not worth very much.

Based on their revenue, the perceived value of the IP, the "float" earnings going forward, confidence in management and all the rest... the stock is worth... about 2 cents US.

None of that opinion, thems the facts.

And as far as SV is concerned, they stink.

And where in those numbers does it say what the population is ingame? I give you a hint. Nowhere... It ONLY shows that SV has done poorly so far. So once more. We have to wait next report to see if the actuall subscribers has gone up or down since the last report. Feel free to start a SV stock thread though. And bash numbers around like theres no tomorrow...

And a company that has been crap up to now is going to magically start doing better in a single quarter after sucking it for years?

Here's a news flash: stocks are also bought on rumors of positive developments and anecdotal evidence of positive developments.

SV's stock has been a dead fish for many months.

That is the point: if there were ANY reason for optimism for SV and by extention MO, as it is the only product SV has, the stock price and behavior of the stock price would reflect that.  A  population (and population = revenue to a sub based MMO) increase, real or preceived, would be such a reason.  But the stock price has not moved, except marginally lower.

That simple enough for you?

If not, there is nothing more I can say....

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Stock price ~ $.02-.03

And not going anywhere, and has been at that or close to for an extended period.

Based on their revenue, the perceived value of the IP, the "float" earnings going forward, confidence in management and all the rest... the stock is worth... about 2 cents US.

And where in those numbers does it say what the population is ingame? I give you a hint. Nowhere... It ONLY shows that SV has done poorly so far. So once more. We have to wait next report to see if the actuall subscribers has gone up or down since the last report. Feel free to start a SV stock thread though. And bash numbers around like theres no tomorrow...

Population increase = more money for the company = stock going up.

I guess I'm using too much logic, my bad...

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Stock price ~ $.02-.03

And a company that has been crap up to now is going to magically start doing better in a single quarter after sucking it for years?

Here's a news flash: stocks are also bought on rumors of positive developments and anecdotal evidence of positive developments.

That is the point: if there were ANY reason for optimism for SV and by extention MO, as it is the only product SV has, the stock price and behavior of the stock price would reflect that.  A  population (and population = revenue to a sub based MMO) increase, real or preceived, would be such a reason.  But the stock price has not moved, except marginally lower.

You just made my point. Increase in sub would reflect the stocks. But since we have to wait for the next report to see the actuall numbers, if they have increased or not, keep on bashing the stock numbers won´t prove if the population is increasing or not. And no matter how hard you try to say the stock is the evidence. It ain´t. Just as SVs 83 %-increase in sales in jan-feb compared to 2011 doesn´t either. We HAVE to wait and see.

Edit. And why wouldn´t SV be able to turn it around? Stranger things has happened in the stockmarket. They are getting closer and closer to being able to market the game etc, and sell it to China and whatever. It will go up for sure. But it ain´t to hard atm. :P

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Edit. And why wouldn´t SV be able to turn it around? Stranger things has happened in the stockmarket. They are getting closer and closer to being able to market the game etc, and sell it to China and whatever. It will go up for sure. But it ain´t to hard atm. :P

SV have said that they'll market the game "soon" for a very long time. The lack of marketing is supposedly one of the reasons for the low pop so far.

But a big marketing campaign costs money. Where will that money come from, I wonder?

Besides, most people interested in FFA sandbox games (that is, the target audience) already know about MO. Many of them tried it, too.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I hope Mortal stays around because if not the only other option for me is DF and then settling for some themepark.

Originally posted by Biskop

SV have said that they'll market the game "soon" for a very long time. The lack of marketing is supposedly one of the reasons for the low pop so far.

But a big marketing campaign costs money. Where will that money come from, I wonder?

Besides, most people interested in FFA sandbox games (that is, the target audience) already know about MO. Many of them tried it, too.

Well they have been waiting for the game to come close to the vision they have for it. And with Awakening they will be there. So it will happen. And yeah, it will cost. But I don´t think MO will try to compete with those big ass themepark companies. They gonna advertice it on a small scale, but will do it in the right forums for their type of game. And some people that tried MO and thought it lack will also come back and check it out. Not everyone ofc, but some will. Some might like and stay, some won´t. They don´t have to have that many more players to keep the wheels spinning. And MO is a niched game, and don´t have many opponents to fight with when it comes to FFA sandbox games. So if they get MO to a state where they are pleased with it, then I have no doubt in my mind that they at least will get enough money to keep rolling and live from it.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Stock price ~ $.02-.03

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/thqi

Established companies aren't doing much better.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Stock price ~ $.02-.03

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/thqi

Established companies aren't doing much better.

Well THQ are going thru a hard time, but THQ at least has been existing for decades and has made plenty of excellent games.

SV never achieved anything. they never made any profit from MO, their stock has never been good from release and on.

That doesn't even compare, your point is completely irrelevant.

• EnergyoEnergyo Member UncommonPosts: 69

Would you guys just like me to take some screen shots of banks and things like that and post it?

While it does not give you a number it will show that the population is better than it was in the past (when banks were empty, Fabernum had like 2 people in the area). Even if you create a trial account and look around you'll clearly see that the population is higher, does this mean subscription numbers are up? Not necessarily... Remember many people have 2 or more accounts, some people may not feel the need to pay for more accounts and only subscribe one, so while some people may be coming back others may be dropping an account for now until the exansion is released. (Just want to throw that out there, I used to subscribe two accounts, I only have one now... in terms of pure numbers in the past I would equal to 2 subscribers just incase you don't understand).

I don't think anyone on this forum is really saying, atleast I have not noticed, that the population is sky rocketing and that SV is making money. What people, like myself, are trying to say is that there is definately a population increase. It is very easy to see that it has increased.

I understand that on these forums that people have been making statements in the past of population booms when in fact there really was not much of an increase at all (I've checked myself on different timezones on trial accounts to see and the population was still bad in the past) but I can assure you that I am not making things up. To prove that you can just look at my previous posts, I have been highly critical of Mortal Online and SV when I had quit, even now I am still critical and have made that clear in posts even after I had resubscribed. For anyone thinking about coming back to the game I would definately wait until the expansion comes out because you still do lack the very important PvE content to the game, there is a lot of downtime currently with how PvE works because PvE basically is butchery, very boring.

I wont babble on any longer in this post, I think my point(s) are pretty clear.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Ever heard the story of the boy who cried "Wolf"?

You might find it informative as regards the current debate and why certain posters view on population issues is ... suspect shall we say.

Well they have been waiting for the game to come close to the vision they have for it. And with Awakening they will be there. So it will happen. And yeah, it will cost. But I don´t think MO will try to compete with those big ass themepark companies. They gonna advertice it on a small scale, but will do it in the right forums for their type of game. And some people that tried MO and thought it lack will also come back and check it out. Not everyone ofc, but some will. Some might like and stay, some won´t. They don´t have to have that many more players to keep the wheels spinning. And MO is a niched game, and don´t have many opponents to fight with when it comes to FFA sandbox games. So if they get MO to a state where they are pleased with it, then I have no doubt in my mind that they at least will get enough money to keep rolling and live from it.

You claim to have been around MO since the very beginning, so you should know that this isn't the first time SV claims to be "close to the vision".

Tindrem was supposed to be in shortly after release, the Epic patch was supposed to bring advanced AI and other cool stuff, Dawn was supposed to bring a revolutionary breeding and gene system, the TC patch was supposed to make PvP meaningful and bring some real empire building tools...

...but what happened? Most of the stuff they actually managed to implement was broken, bugged, half-assed, or utterly meaningless. I still remember the "WTF?"-feeling I got when I returned for Dawn and found out they had spent months working on mutant horses that could pee but not run straight, instead of actually fixing all the crucial things that are missing and/or broken. Then it really "dawned" on me that MO is nothing but a scam.

The same thing will undoubtly happen this time, too. Awakening will probably make even more people finally "wake up" to fact that SV is a bunch of amateurs posing as game designers, and that the game will never be "close to the vision" because it will always be crippled by bad code and fucked up design priorities.

And no, SV will not be able to magically conjure up the money needed for a real PR campaign (you know, the one that work with real advertising and not over-zealos fanbots spamming pro-MO posts in forums). There are no indie sandbox sites that give small companies advertisement discounts; to get any serious attention they'll need to buy ads at sites like this one - and then they are competing with the big ass themepark companies, whether they want to or not.

Originally posted by Energyo

Would you guys just like me to take some screen shots of banks and things like that and post it?

While it does not give you a number it will show that the population is better than it was in the past (when banks were empty, Fabernum had like 2 people in the area). Even if you create a trial account and look around you'll clearly see that the population is higher, does this mean subscription numbers are up? Not necessarily... Remember many people have 2 or more accounts, some people may not feel the need to pay for more accounts and only subscribe one, so while some people may be coming back others may be dropping an account for now until the exansion is released. (Just want to throw that out there, I used to subscribe two accounts, I only have one now... in terms of pure numbers in the past I would equal to 2 subscribers just incase you don't understand).

I don't think anyone on this forum is really saying, atleast I have not noticed, that the population is sky rocketing and that SV is making money. What people, like myself, are trying to say is that there is definately a population increase. It is very easy to see that it has increased.

I understand that on these forums that people have been making statements in the past of population booms when in fact there really was not much of an increase at all (I've checked myself on different timezones on trial accounts to see and the population was still bad in the past) but I can assure you that I am not making things up. To prove that you can just look at my previous posts, I have been highly critical of Mortal Online and SV when I had quit, even now I am still critical and have made that clear in posts even after I had resubscribed. For anyone thinking about coming back to the game I would definately wait until the expansion comes out because you still do lack the very important PvE content to the game, there is a lot of downtime currently with how PvE works because PvE basically is butchery, very boring.

Yes but if you had read a bit more from my posts, I'm not deying there might be more people "in game" but my take is that this is explained by a regain of interest by the coming of awakening and thus inactive subscribers coming back in-game and people making trial accounts.

As an effect you will see more people in towns but it won't do anything in terms of sales, it won't create profit, and this is because SV have now too many times hyped an upcoming expansion that would be revolutionary and people ending up dissapointed and angry. So this time people won't take the bait and will simply wait before giving any money to SV, hence the stock price not moving by an inch.

• Feather5Feather5 Member Posts: 90
    Mortal online is in a good state of play and these idiots that dont like this style of game should quit trolling.

Best mmorpg at moment themeparks are imitators this is special.

Ex. myth of soma, legend of mir, mu online and eudemons online player.

Current game : Runescape (until pc build is complete)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by raff01

Originally posted by Energyo

Yes but if you had read a bit more from my posts, I'm not deying there might be more people "in game" but my take is that this is explained by a regain of interest by the coming of awakening and thus inactive subscribers coming back in-game and people making trial accounts.

As an effect you will see more people in towns but it won't do anything in terms of sales, it won't create profit, and this is because SV have now too many times hyped an upcoming expansion that would be revolutionary and people ending up dissapointed and angry. So this time people won't take the bait and will simply wait before giving any money to SV, hence the stock price not moving by an inch.

Seems a bit of a stretch of the imagination to say for a game that has had a free trial for a long time that increasing numbers can be put down to an influx of trial accounts.

Originally posted by Feather5

Mortal online is in a good state of play and these idiots that dont like this style of game should quit trolling.

Best mmorpg at moment themeparks are imitators this is special.

No one here dislikes MO because they want a themepark style game. Work on your reading comprehension before commenting, please.

• Feather5Feather5 Member Posts: 90
    Fact is you either support the only game with decent graphics and immersion or you sit here and moan about its pit falls.

I applaud SV for what there trying here, and the constant digging of MO/SV from the same forum posters daily really grinds my gears, ok you don't like it we get now go play SWTOR or some other game thats far more polished.

Ex. myth of soma, legend of mir, mu online and eudemons online player.

Current game : Runescape (until pc build is complete)

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by ltank

How did they "manipulate" percentages?

It's hilarious that this forum gets more daily posts than the Rift forum here. It speaks to the amount of foam flying around here.

How did they manipulate percentages??? are you joking or are you just that blind or dishonest? want me to link the other thread started on this forum?

When you give percentages without any number behind its called manipulation. Politicians and governments do it all the time with surveys.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/341213/Star-Vault-Reports-50-Increase-In-Sales.html

I also love how you you make any valid point and avoid discussion. I assume you don't dispute any of my statements, good thing !

ma·nip·u·late/m??nipy??l?t/

Verb:

1. Handle or control (a tool, mechanism, etc.), typically in a skillful manner: "he manipulated the dials".

2. Alter, edit, or move (text or data) on a computer.

So if there was an actual 50% increase in sales, even if it was a small number of people, it's STILL a 50% increase. The percentages in no way were altered or edited and I challenge you to prove otherwise using the context of the time frame they were talking about.

So if there was an actual 50% increase in sales, even if it was a small number of people, it's STILL a 50% increase. The percentages in no way were altered or edited and I challenge you to prove otherwise using the context of the time frame they were talking about.

Thanks for helping me prove my point, you probably don't even see it because of your bias. this is actually very funny.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Thanks for helping me prove my point, you probably don't even see it because of your bias. this is actually very funny.

His point, that you fail to see, is that the percentage alone doesn't say much, nor does it mean increased population. If they sold first five license, then ten, it is 50% increase, but not that impressing, is it? Specially considering AQ left the game with 70 accounts afterwards.

I guess the point is that the population can be dereasing despite increased daily activity from active accounts and few extra copy sales. Now, I dont say that's the case, but it's a possibility. And SV are pretty good to manipulate and twist the numbers and words to make stuff look in their favour.

Fact is you either support the only game with decent graphics and immersion or you sit here and moan about its pit falls.

I applaud SV for what there trying here, and the constant digging of MO/SV from the same forum posters daily really grinds my gears, ok you don't like it we get now go play SWTOR or some other game thats far more polished.

I can think of lots of games with better graphics and "immersion" (very subjective) than MO. Far far better in every other way too.

You have never played MO and do not play MO now (just going by your signature), so I am curious why you think the game is so great but do not play it. Why is that?

Originally posted by Betel

I can think of lots of games with better graphics and "immersion" (very subjective) than MO. Far far better in every other way too.

You have never played MO and do not play MO now (just going by your signature), so I am curious why you think the game is so great but do not play it. Why is that?

So games need to be in his sig or he haven´t played it? I really like your logic. You really need to start thinking "outside the box" and maybe, just maybe, he and others have tried other games even though it doesn´t say so in the persons sig etc. Or the fact that you couldn´t grasp that I tried other games if I love MO so much. Wow... and not as in World of Warcraft-wow. But wow as in how can you keep this going?

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Just like I thought; you can in no way whatsoever, prove that they manipulated (changed) the percentage values.

Just like I thought; you can in no way whatsoever, prove that they manipulated (changed) the percentage values.

Nor can they backup their claim that there is any significant increase of sales. Because they don't provide numbers. So if they sold 4 before and now they sold 6, its 50% sales increase, [mod edit]

Manipulation of facts for propaganda purposes is nothing new and is quite obvious in this case.

They sold very few clients (the game is terrible so no surprise there) but needed some advertising and good news for the remaining shareholders. So they gave a meaningless % figure instead of the real numerical values.

It's a similar scam to Henrik always referring to forum member numbers as a some kind of guide to MO's popularity in stock reports. The actual subscriber base is so low he doesn't want to give figures for that, it would lead to his remaining shareholders and possible investors turning their back on the car crash that is SV's finances.

Post I was quoting appeared to have been deleted, so editing this.

This discussion has been closed.