Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Live-stream Interview March 15th With Your Questions!

Comments

• sorudosorudo Member Posts: 3

when looking at all the professions and there options to make a combo the necromancer lacks greatly in that area, even with the field spells it just doesn't work with a team effort.

so i wonder, are there plans on improfing the combo system and, if possible, can we use the minions of the necro with a field. (like using ablaze and let minions run trough it to make them do buring while they attack)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Let's get more questions in guys! And remember to please keep them focused on professions and traits! Thanks!

• Swizzy7Swizzy7 Member Posts: 3

Thank you for answering my questions but I hate you.  Well, not exactly you but the answers you gave ;).  Ranks for people were awesome in DAOC, and so was the sneak capability. :( but thanks again for answering if those are true statements but I hope not!!

• MaariusMaarius Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by sorudo

when looking at all the professions and there options to make a combo the necromancer lacks greatly in that area, even with the field spells it just doesn't work with a team effort.

so i wonder, are there plans on improfing the combo system and, if possible, can we use the minions of the necro with a field. (like using ablaze and let minions run trough it to make them do buring while they attack)

example: Professions: Necromancer, Elementalist

"This is a brutal combo. A necro can use Well of Darkness to create a Dark Field, which blinds enemies in the area. Along comes an elementalist attuned to earth, who cast Churning Earth to cripple enemies inside the Well of Darkness. When Churning Earth ends, it combines with the Dark Field to deliver additional AoE damage. Guaranteed to rock your enemies world – in a bad way."

-Ryan Diederich, Programmer

starters:

those skills create a field

Well of Corruption Well of Corruption

Well of Darkness Well of Darkness

Well of Power Well of Power

Well of Suffering Well of Suffering

Well of Blood Well of Blood

Poison Cloud Poison Cloud

Spectral Wall Spectral Wall

those are finishers:

Chilblains Chilblains

Mark of Blood Mark of Blood

Putrid Mark Putrid Mark

Reaper's Mark Reaper's Mark

Necrotic Traversal Necrotic Traversal

Deadly Catch Deadly Catch

I think Necros and their dark-fields combo well with any class. Count in the minions as projectiles going through fields of other professions too.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

There seems to be alot of traits a player can add to their character. I would like to know how ArenaNet plans to keep traits and skills balanced in pvp play.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• GerrazappGerrazapp Member Posts: 1

#1: Is there going to be any counter proffessions, for example if a Thief sees a warrior/guardian in a group or solo he might think: Hell no! warriors can counter me I leave him/her alone. Or is the Trait system speccs going to have such an impact that if you specc none into armor and vitality, warrios will be squishy to?

#2: How do you work with balancing proffession/traits? What kind of fights do you base them on,1vs1, 5v5 XvX?

Balance endgame: Will you allow the "power level up to 80" get stronger over time so when real level 80s gain more powerfull gear, so the gap doesnt increase for say "each expansion",

#3:Can you ensure that the special TRAIT/ABILITY (for example thiefs STEAL) will not have a huge impact of how you want to play your character? (Looking into the thiefs TRAIT system and there special ability STEAL seems really powerfull when they can press one button and gain alot of boons and conditions , this is really all assumptions but I´ve read and watch movies about it)

#4: How will TRAITS have synergy to gear? Will it matter much if I want a bursty build to completely leave out the "attack power" increasing tree? Or can you find gear that make up for it?

#5: Will there any type of skill/ability(example; bleeds, poison, magic) that ignores armor completely? If so, why? (note:ignores armor, not a skill that make it decrease)

#6: Will 5vs5 have completely statless armor and only based on irl skills? All having the same HP etc.

Best regards Gerrazapp

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Only 15 hours left guys! If you have any professions/traits related questions for Jon Peters, hit us with em!

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Why did you make the trait system so restrictive? Wouldn't a better system be to leave all stat bonuses to gear and allow players to pick any combination of triats from a pool that increases as they level / do quests / challenges etc?  Basically, why not let players choose exactly which traits and stats they want rather than tieing everything together into trees, thus forcing players to take stats and traits they don't want in order to get to the ones they do?

'Having a bonus each level' is not an answer (or of any long term benefit), and neither is 'grouping similar traits and stats that work well together'. 1. You could just as easily shift the extra stat bonuses onto gear, give a new trait each level and a new trait slot every 5 to 10 levels to achieve exactly the same result and give much more freedom to the player, especially at level cap, and 2. Please don't treat us like idiots, we will work out and decide what is best for our own playstyle.

Similarly, what is the point of spending points in anything other than blocks of 5 given that stat differences in 'similar' builds can easily be compensated for with gear? e.g. What is the advantage of a 28/28/14 build compared to a 30/30/10 or 30/25/15 build, both of which give you 3 more traits (again any stat differences can be compensated for with gear)?

If they can answer those questions well I will happily pre-order a CE, otherwise I'll be waiting for a discounted online retail.

Edit: Modified questions slightly for better clarity.

• FencersFencers Member Posts: 1

Questions:

1. will there be auto loot & area loot?

2. will the UI have a skill range indicator i.e. like dimming of skills when a target is out of range?

3. will show pet (minion, turrent, etc) damage in a different color from your own?

4. would it be possible to allow players to change their spec with an added fee but without having to visit a trainer? (could be a cash shop "travel" npc that you could buy)

5. will it be possible to exit out of elite skills earlier than the duration?

6. are the pre-purchase in-game items finalized as there does not seem to be an incentive to buy anything but the SE or the CE (for those who want collectibles)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

1)  Will Necromancers be limited to a couple types of minions like in GW1? or will Necros be able to summon a wide variety of demons (maybe even tame / control demon-type of mobs) ?

That would give Necromancers a bit more freedom with demons just like the rangers have with wild animals

• RaytharRaythar Member Posts: 1

My question:

Previously it was mentioned that traits would be aquired by completing tasks specifically designed for your profession, such an elementalist finding and studying tomes or a warrior competing in a challenge of strength, but this has been replaced with the current trait system where you gain trait points every level after level 11. I was wondering if there were any other events, challenges, tasks or quest like objectives that were profession specific now that this feature has been changed? If so could you possibly give us an example?

• om3gadeathom3gadeath Member Posts: 10

If I buy the US Version and My European Friend buys the Uk Version of the game, can we still play on the same US server or will he need to buy a US Version to play on the same server as me?

• SplamoSplamo Member Posts: 1

Do traits that give you bonus to damage (or speed/toughness/etc.) also apply to any pets or minions? For example, Necromancers have a minor trait called Target the Weak that increases damage based on the number of conditions on a foe. Would that increase in damage transfer to the Necro's minions as well?

Could you give us a list of the Thief's Acrobatics traits? :) Seems they were missed in the Press beta videos.

Edit: Cripes, I guess I'm too late.

• MozuMozu Member Posts: 1

Can we get more info on the in-game music playlists?  A basic overview of how it'll function, codecs supported (please say FLAC...), etc.?

(I know it's late, but can we sneak this one in anyway?)

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

3am my time so i wont be watching it >< guess ill have to wait and watch the video somone uploads of it later

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by fony

My question is pretty important.

will there be a free trial when the game launches?

Generaly free trials are available after a month to 3 months downt he road from a game release so i doubt there will be one on release but i could be wrong.

Ok my Question

- Will there be an australian (oceananic) based server, If not how much will ping effect gameplay, i know how bad ping is when playing a FPS and GW2 slightly resembles a FPS gameplay, reaction times seems to be a big thing with dodging and all that. I also stopped playing darkfall because having 250+ ping was not fun when your vsing people with less than 20.

• HelyanweHelyanwe Member Posts: 1

Will there be more information released (soon) about how traits are equiped by the player? 

Is the total number of trait points (70) related to balancing?  Why wasn't it half of what is possible, 75?

and

I see quite a few familiar skill names and functions could this suggest the Engineer has the highest learning curve for returning GW1 players?

Thanks!  Really looking forward to seeing more gameplay footage, April 10 and the release of GW2... 

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

Someone mentioned this elsewhere....

"Remember people, they're only asking 10-15 different questions! Try and save your nitpicky whines about your favourite profession in favour of something a little deeper"

Just thought it bore repeating...  sick and tired of seeing so many terribad vanity questions in these Q&As.  Think up something that actually has substance, thanks.

(broader example:  "several classes focus atleast 1 major aspect on Harrassment/Stealth but that didn't look at all viable in WvWvW.  What are your own observations on that?")

• NomortaLNomortaL Member Posts: 43
    1. Does arenanet plan to state detailed trait stats after release in the trait window for example? To put it in now would be silly because it's beta, but the stats will be known sooner or later by players testing builds so itd be nice to know how traits would affect my char exactly

2. I assume most clothes look the same irregardless of your profession. Are there any profession specific clothes (other than the starter clothes) and about what percent are like this you think?
  • ValentynValentyn Member Posts: 11

Can we use racial elites and/or the Mistfire Wolf elite skill in World vs. World pvp?

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

I just want to ask this about professions: Why does the Guardian lack a long-range combat when all the other professions have it? And why do spirit weapons have so few attacks and are active for only 15 seconds?

And I have another question about Beta Event Weekends: If I pre-purchase the game and play in Beta Event Weekends, Can I play with different computers, at different times, using the same account in the same Beta?

• gamervoidgamervoid Member Posts: 1

How do you go about balancing dodgeable versus non dodgeable abilities?  

For instance, I assume a dodgeable projectile fireball would Hit much harder than a homing ability like a necro HP drain.  Also, will blocking abilities like The guardian's sphere block all abilities, or just the dodgeable types?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by gamervoid

How do you go about balancing dodgeable versus non dodgeable abilities?  

For instance, I assume a dodgeable projectile fireball would Hit much harder than a homing ability like a necro HP drain.  Also, will blocking abilities like The guardian's sphere block all abilities, or just the dodgeable types?

When you dodge, you activate an invincibility frame which triggers all damage to be counted as "evades".

• AlbredAlbred Member UncommonPosts: 48

Two quick questions

1) Where's my alpha invite?

2) Where's my alpha invite?

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Morcotulcon

I just want to ask this about professions: Why does the Guardian lack a long-range combat when all the other professions have it? And why do spirit weapons have so few attacks and are active for only 15 seconds?

I too want to know the answer to this question. Im really interested in the Guardian class but their lack of long range is kinda concerning in a game where every other class has some long range capabilities.