Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Syfy Announces TV Cast

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Syfy Channel have announced the human cast for the television show, Defiance, which will also simultaneously debut as an MMO being created by Trion Worlds. The writing crew was also announced and includes veterans of such popular shows as Farscape, Desperate Housewives and Battlestar Galactica.

Syfy has announced additional casting for its upcoming epic science fiction drama Defiance, inking Julie Benz, Stephanie Leonidas, Tony Curran and Jaime Murray to co-star in the first-ever series to unite television and MMO gaming.  The pilot, slated to commence production this April in Toronto, is directed by Scott Stewart (Legion, Priest), and written/executive produced by Rockne O’Bannon (Farscape), Kevin Murphy (Desperate Housewives, Caprica; Hellcats) & Michael Taylor (Battlestar Galactica).  Kevin Murphy serves as showrunner. 

Defiance is a visionary enterprise in collaboration with Trion Worlds, with the Syfy series and Trion’s multi-platform shooter MMO poised to debut simultaneously.   Set in the near future, Defiance introduces a completely transformed planet Earth, inhabited by the survivors of a universal war.  Forced to co-habitate, the disparate group struggles to build a new society among the devastation. The dramatic tapestry of the series and the intense action of the game will exist in a single universe where their respective narratives will inform one another and evolve together into one overall story.  Defiance is produced by Universal Cable Productions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Awesome I have been waiting for more info about this to come out.  Especially more game details.  Hopefully this is the first in a long line of updates and data.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Awesome, maybe I can get my wife to watch the series if I tell her H.G. Wells from Warehouse 13 is in it :) I also hope more news comes out for this game/show, I think Trion has what it takes to make this work I cannot wait!!!

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• jell0rjell0r Member UncommonPosts: 5

seems like a really good idea, tho living in UK I hope the show isnt delayed  a season like most us-to-uk shows seem to be otherwise it'll be pointless trying to keep up with whats going on

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by jell0r

seems like a really good idea, tho living in UK I hope the show isnt delayed  a season like most us-to-uk shows seem to be otherwise it'll be pointless trying to keep up with whats going on

I agree. They have to do a worldwide release of the TV show, otherwise this game will fail right out of the bat everywhere but US.

Sad thing tho, is that our local TV stations need to be willing to buy the TV series and broadcast it.

Worst that could happen is if they strike some exclusive deal with some retarded crappy private Pay TV channel like Canal+   /shrug

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by JeroKane

I agree. They have to do a worldwide release of the TV show, otherwise this game will fail right out of the bat everywhere but US.

Sad thing tho, is that our local TV stations need to be willing to buy the TV series and broadcast it.

Worst that could happen is if they strike some exclusive deal with some retarded crappy private Pay TV channel like Canal+   /shrug

Please forgive me.. I'm just curious.

So in the UK they don't have an actual Syfy channel for your cable or whatever you have?   I live in the US so I don't have a lot of perspective on channel line ups in other regions.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

OH great so we are going to have a mix of writers from sci-fi and desperate housewives?  That sounds like a winner of a combination.

Hope at least the MMO is decent.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

When they say multi platform, does that mean consoles and PCs will be all playing on same server?  Or will each platform have its own server type? 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by Antarious

So in the UK they don't have an actual Syfy channel for your cable or whatever you have?   I live in the US so I don't have a lot of perspective on channel line ups in other regions.

Nope. We do not have SyFy in Europe. Every country has it's own set of TV channels.

Hence, channels like MTV, Discovery Channel, National Geographic used to be global, but are now unique per region/country as well with their own programming.

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

I have the scyfy channel (in the uk)! with my sky+ subscription, so hopefully i'm all set, we'll see what the details are later though I guess.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

UK also usually get episodes around the same time as the US, but schedules are somewhat different.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

UK is pretty close to the US now(Sky TV) alot of shows will air a few days after the US counterparts mainly i think due to the fact that everyone here was just downloading the shows instead because they didn't want to wait any longer than a few days. (this kinda happened real bad during LOST).

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

Wonder how long untill SyFy decides to cancel this one... :s

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by Draxonfly

Wonder how long untill SyFy decides to cancel this one... :s

First or second season to make room for their terribad tv movies. Makes me hope Defiance is bad so i dont get disapointed when they cancel it.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Nice

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by achesoma

When they say multi platform, does that mean consoles and PCs will be all playing on same server?  Or will each platform have its own server type? 

Trion said seperate servers for each platform.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

they will probably make it watchable online. Just a thought, could link the episode directly on the games website

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I heard awhile ago that Rockne S. O'Bannon was writing this and my interest climbed from a 2 to an  8." Farscape" is my favorite sci-fi show ever, not to mention Mr. O'Bannon also wrote the excellent and underappreciated  "Alien Nation".

Hope the MMO works out, but I have faith the TV show will be to my liking.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Julie Benz is a very terribad actress... I'm always amazed she keeps getting work.  Jaime Murray on the otherhand is quite good... and stunningly beautiful.

I actually look forward to the show much more than the MMO.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

If Being Human wasn't on SyFy, I'd write this off completely as a disaster waiting to happen. Although even that isn't half as good as the BBC version >_> but it's not bad, got it's own unique charm in some ways.

But I don't have a lot of hope for this. Scott Stewart isn't exactly winning awards for Legion or Priest, they were mediocre at best.  Kevin will be an asset to that team, Desperate Housewives is not something I've ever gotten into, but that it's captivated audiences for so long is a testament to it even if you don't want to admit it. Caprica is a pretty good show, as well. Never got into BG or Farscape, so  I can't comment on them.

I'll give it a go, but I won't hold my breath expecting quality. Although in the end, those lowered expectations might be just what a SyFy show needs for someone to enjoy it.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I wish my last name was Leonidas.

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55
    So an mmo and t.v show launch at same time...

Can we all remember stargate worlds/universe...

Here's hoping this one actually works :-)
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by Antarious

Nope. We do not have SyFy in Europe. Every country has it's own set of TV channels.

Hence, channels like MTV, Discovery Channel, National Geographic used to be global, but are now unique per region/country as well with their own programming.

We have Syfy in The Netherlands, with regular commercials and between-show talk (in dutch), and subtitled shows. It doesn't come with a normal cable connection though, you need to pay a provider for a bunch of extra channels and Syfy is one of those. I'd imagine this is the case for more countries as I doubt the channel is unique to just the US and The Netherlands.

That said though, I don't watch it personally and can't comment on the differences between the US and dutch one, especially not in terms of a 'delay' between a show making it over here from the US.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

We have the Syfy channel in the UK but its more a shadow of the US version. Not that the US one deserves much credit either seeing as they'd rather air reality shows and crappy tv movies than carry on the good scifi ones.

• trojan99trojan99 Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by Osirrus

Can we all remember stargate worlds/universe...

stargate what? LOL

anyway, this sounds really cool. desperate housewives writers scare me tho bcz that show will make u stupid....and gay, or gayer if ur already gay. not hating on our alt lifestyle gamers, jus saying that show is for you.

o and if the show is good dont forget to actually watch it so it doesnt get cancelled after 4 episodes like jericho, firefly, ect ect......

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Originally posted by Kabaal

We have the Syfy channel in the UK but its more a shadow of the US version. Not that the US one deserves much credit either seeing as they'd rather air reality shows and crappy tv movies than carry on the good scifi ones.

I am still pissed about how the U.S. SciFi channel changed over the years. Imho it's garbage now. Changing their name to "SyFy" was just like throwing the anchor chain into the sea after the anchor.

I have no interest in any MMO that the SyFy channel might be involved with. 0% Interest.