Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Competitive PVP Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Hillary “Pokket” Nicole had the chance to sit down with Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Lead Endgame Designer Gabe Amantangelo during the Guild Summit last week. The two talked all things warfront from ranked matches to new maps and how PVP fits into lore. A must-see for SWTOR’s PVP fans.

MMORPG.com:  I heard you'd be able to queue as a full premade, is that for ranked and normal? Or just ranked?

Gabe Amantangelo:  That is just for ranked. Players will be able to queue as a full group of eight for Ranked Warzones only.

Normal will still function as it does right now where you can queue as a group of up to four players. Normal Warzone matchmaking will continue to operate in the same way it does on live right now where it tries to match a group of four against another group of four and fills in the rest with solos. It only goes for multiple groups on each team after extended periods of time when a match cannot be made.

Read more of Hillary "Pokket" Nicole's Star Wars: The Old Republic - The Competitive PVP Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

PVP in SWTOR is a joke to begin with. It makes no sense for a player to gain the title of War Hero by killing their own faction members. BW really took the lazy route to designing their pvp by simply boosting everyone's skills to the 50 level during pvp. The little amount of skill it takes to do well in SWTOR's pvp goes out the window without relying on your own gear and abilities by boosting. 

I consider it a gamebreaker if BW goes through with making all the pvp map mechanics to allow for same-faction pvp. It's ridiculous.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Originally posted by Czanrei

PVP in SWTOR is a joke to begin with. It makes no sense for a player to gain the title of War Hero by killing their own faction members. BW really took the lazy route to designing their pvp by simply boosting everyone's skills to the 50 level during pvp. The little amount of skill it takes to do well in SWTOR's pvp goes out the window without relying on your own gear and abilities by boosting. 

I consider it a gamebreaker if BW goes through with making all the pvp map mechanics to allow for same-faction pvp. It's ridiculous.

Unless you enjoy playing Huttball all day long - which I don't - adding same faction PvP on the other maps is sorely needed. On my server, I end up in HB about 80-90% of the time. Not fun!! BW can add more civil strife and internal rebellion overtones to he map to satisfy people who don't like same faction combat due to lore reasons. Seems like my operative killed about as many imperials as republicans, so that kind of stuff is already there.

• Jaro420Jaro420 Member Posts: 13

^ I see youve never played Swtor. Have you ever pvp'd? same faction pvp isnt somthing new. BioWare wasnt the first MMo Company to add same faction pvp to there game. To the people who claim that Swtor pvp fails....

Its not the game that fails at pvp its you the player. Go back to wow and learn to pvp casue we all know Wow has the best pvp on the market!! and every mmo should be more like wow!!! 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    So did Gabe commit seppuku for bringing shame upon the house of Bioware in the interview?

Edit: read it, if he did it wasn't because of the searching questioning.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I laughed pretty hard at this title. It is a oxymoron!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Jaro420

^ I see youve never played Swtor. Have you ever pvp'd? same faction pvp isnt somthing new. BioWare wasnt the first MMo Company to add same faction pvp to there game. To the people who claim that Swtor pvp fails....

Its not the game that fails at pvp its you the player. Go back to wow and learn to pvp casue we all know Wow has the best pvp on the market!! and every mmo should be more like wow!!! 

If you don't see the irony in your second sentence, then i don't know what to say.

TOR PVP is bad.  I played it, i saw it all.  It's bad.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I like the use of the definite article in the title. It's like "The White Album" by the Beatles.  Or like

Bob Marley, The Motown Years...

• TwitchnTwitchn Member Posts: 33

LOL at more war zones. This is the most boriing pvp ever . I came to this game wanting a open world experience in pvp but as they only cater to the themepark kiddies I guess this will never happen.

Need to be able to take guild bases from one anther , loot drops from players(i see this would never happen cause the non die hard pvpers would cry more).

Lets face it if you want a good pvp game go to eve or somthing more sandboxy as they give a real feel to pvp.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

SWTOR's PvP system is the pinnacle of everything that is wrong with modern MMORPGs.

The entire MMO genre has gone from "large virtual worlds" to "tiny virtual instances" in almost every form. I'm embarrassed that I even participated.

I was hoping that would develope develope and announce some form of World PvP. Instead, we are given more WoW-Tournament garbage.

Daniel Erikson once said, "Han's like, 'Hey, Chewie, let's go into space, and let's just dick around."

Okay...

When did the Emperor ever say, "Hey, Vader, let's meet up with the Rebels and play some Huttball."

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Twitchn

LOL at more war zones. This is the most boriing pvp ever . I came to this game wanting a open world experience in pvp but as they only cater to the themepark kiddies I guess this will never happen.

Need to be able to take guild bases from one anther , loot drops from players(i see this would never happen cause the non die hard pvpers would cry more).

Lets face it if you want a good pvp game go to eve or somthing more sandboxy as they give a real feel to pvp.

just to be clear you came to a game that was advertised as a STORY driven MMO.  Made by a  company that specializies in SINGLE PLAYER STORY DRIVEN RPGS and has never done a single Multiplayer game before and you expected unique open world PVP expeirence?  

I'm at a loss for words

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Daniel Erikson once said, "Han's like, 'Hey, Chewie, let's go into space, and let's just dick around."

Okay...

When did the Emperor ever say, "Hey, Vader, let's meet up with the Rebels and play some Huttball."

Episode 1. 

"hey Qui Gon we got to get to the Senate to save our planet"  

"Ok but first lets waste a couple days watching a Pod Race"

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164

Someone should have asked about the over abundance of crowd control, and the fact that the resolve bar seems to hardly work.  I mean you're knocked down, thrown across the room, stunned, force choked, and slowed all right in a row, and then for a whole 3 seconds you are at max resolve before it decays enough for people to run you through that entire cc sequence again.

IMHO crowd control is out of control because the resolve system is ineffective.

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Be careful Gabe! This is all so cutting edge and revolutionary!

Originally posted by bobdole1979

Originally posted by Twitchn

just to be clear you came to a game that was advertised as a STORY driven MMO.  Made by a  company that specializies in SINGLE PLAYER STORY DRIVEN RPGS and has never done a single Multiplayer game before and you expected unique open world PVP expeirence?  

I'm at a loss for words

Well, that was what the developers said.
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

They have a PvP team? (trollface.jpg)

Seriously though, I'm interested in how they think they are going to create a seriously competitive environment based on the state of PvP within the game. The simple fact that the game launched with issues like animations that don't match up for mirror classes, giving one faction an edge over another, isn't a good omen for how they expect to maintain a semblence of balance in PvP, much less the balance expected out of serious competitive play.

Hopefully they can pull it off, because it will make a lot of people happy.

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    When I first signed up, I was really hoping for more engaging and meaningful open world or territorial stuff. Don't get me wrong, SWTOR is an awesome game in many areas, it's just unfortunate that the open world stuff was designed not to overlap factions.
    I had fun in HB and Void for a while but after 100 times it just feels like BF skinned for SWTOR. Not the epic feeling I was hoping for.
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    I can't understand why you would ask nothing in regards to illum which has all sorts of problems. Why are all your questions centered around warzones? I have seen no mention here or by the tor staff in regards to illum.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

You all make me laugh.  Heres your problem: You expected revolutionary pvp at launch, from a game thats story and pve focused.  You either wait until pvp improves in your eyes or find another game. Crying on these comments wont help.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Same faction PvP is dumb.  To me, it defeats the purpose of choosing a faction.  

As for why they didnt ask about Ilum, everyone knows it sucks.  BW knows it sucks and is moving away from it because it won't be saved anytime soon.  

Originally posted by Chrisbox

You all make me laugh.  Heres your problem: You expected revolutionary pvp at launch, from a game thats story and pve focused.  You either wait until pvp improves in your eyes or find another game. Crying on these comments wont help.

People expected what was promised by the developers, seems to me that it is perfectly reasonable for a customer to be complaining about a shoddy product and broken promise. I think that people are finding another game.
  • ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

never played WoW,

PVP in SWTOR is wrong.  Mirror classes....arent actually mirror classes.  Open world PVP is a joke, and they tried to fix it and made it even worse, then came out with a patch to put a double barrel shotgun under it's chin and pulled the trigger.

Of course, that would be because BW knows jack about PVP,  so much so that they brought what few scrubs werent fired from Mythic to make their pvp for them.  Suprise Suprise Suprise........It sucked.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Twitchn LOL at more war zones. This is the most boriing pvp ever . I came to this game wanting a open world experience in pvp but as they only cater to the themepark kiddies I guess this will never happen. Need to be able to take guild bases from one anther , loot drops from players(i see this would never happen cause the non die hard pvpers would cry more). Lets face it if you want a good pvp game go to eve or somthing more sandboxy as they give a real feel to pvp.  
    just to be clear you came to a game that was advertised as a STORY driven MMO.  Made by a  company that specializies in SINGLE PLAYER STORY DRIVEN RPGS and has never done a single Multiplayer game before and you expected unique open world PVP expeirence?   I'm at a loss for words

Might wana check your facts there.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Czanrei

lol it's clear someone playing a high level got killed by a level 10 and is pissed about it. 

So which part of your post is supposed to make you sound more believable? The abuse of the Return key or adding "it's clear" to your comment? 

Either way, you were wrong about your assumption. Nevermind that making assumptions about a total stranger is the biggest mistake anyone can make. 

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Originally posted by Alders

If you don't see the irony in your second sentence, then i don't know what to say.

TOR PVP is bad.  I played it, i saw it all.  It's bad.

And you are some high ranked pvp player in which game? 

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Revolutionary?

no, not so much..

I was however, expecting to be "blown away", when i got to Ilum. Just like they said i would.

I was also expecting a little more than 3 warzones, from "some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world", as their focal point for PvP.

/shrug

edit: apologies, i guess now it will be four warzone  image